• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Anyone able to repost the proposed draw for 2017.

25 March
Internal selections
1ST XV & 2ND XV GPS ‐

29 March
Internal selections
1ST XV & 2ND XV GPS ‐

29 April
Trial 1
1ST XV & 2ND XV ‐ GPS/CAS ‐
Kn v I
K v W
E v B
OAK v N
J & S not participating

6 May
Trial 2
N v I
Kn v K
S v J
W v E

13 May
Trial 2
I v S
K v E
J v W
Kn v N

20 May
Trial 4
K v I
E v J
S v Kn
W v N

27 May
Trial 5
I v W
K v S
J v Kn
N v E

Saturday 3 June
Trial 6
1ST & 2ND XV ‐ GPS ‐
I v J
N v K
S v E

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Agree - Knox a 50/50 chance at best of beating Shore. Although, I wouldn't even put your money on this Azzuri.

There's every chance that it will be

chicken-and-egg-smaller.jpg

This even

Doughnut.jpg

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Sideline,

Think praying may not help!

We all know schools are businesses these days, and big ones.
So if a school signs up to play with the big boys then it must make itself competitive, eg promote rugby more in-house etc,

Honey B, HA good come back.

Lets just see what happens, it is always easier to be negative and provide no plans for improvement.

I just hope it all works really well, and is expanded into a bigger comp in 2017!

S

sidelineview

Sideline,

Think praying may not help!

We all know schools are businesses these days, and big ones.
So if a school signs up to play with the big boys then it must make itself competitive, eg promote rugby more in-house etc,

Honey B, HA good come back.

Lets just see what happens, it is always easier to be negative and provide no plans for improvement.

I just hope it all works really well, and is expanded into a bigger comp in 2017!

''We all know'' has nothing to do with it. It is the school administrators who will make the decisions about maintaining or changing their philosophy regarding sport. The decision to maintain a no-scholarship policy or to introduce it or any other changes wont be made by wishful thinkers within any given school's community.

''Must make itself competitive'' ? you assume a lot.

Will Waverley, for example change their policies and priorities because some rugby supporters said they ''must'?

In the good old days rugby was THE winter sport, but not now.

A new Headmaster will be appointed soon and who knows what his priorities will be. Hopefully he's an old rugby player and old boy with a busted up nose and a down to earth attitude, but he may be a big AFL or soccer fan; or he may have excelled on the debating team when he was at school and will therefore focus on academic pursuits as a priority.

And in this day and age of political correctness and the tolerant society, a lot of which is crap, the table tennis and lawn bowls programmes may demand equal billing with rugby. And they might be a chance of getting it.

This year at Waverley, a goodwill trip to Timor was scheduled commencing on the day before the last round of the rugby season, therefore robbing quite a few players of the chance to play the last game. The 2nd XV team was weakened considerably and narrowly lost that game and ended up coming 2nd in the comp. Had they won Waverley would have been outright or equal CAS Premiership winners in the 1sts, 2nds, 3rds and 4th XVs.

So they couldn't leave a few days later ? Whoever was responsible for that schedule should have been tarred and feathered and put on the next train out of Bondi Junction. Not exactly a mortal sin but close.

So nothing would surprise me .....

Just because this rugby competition format has changed doesn't necessarily mean schools will fall over themselves trying to keep up. If this format continues as predicted into the future, then some schools may be resigned to being relegated to Division 2 if that will be the format with relegation and promotion. Or Division 2 might be called something else so as not to offend.

Who knows, the geniuses who hatched this plan may even bring back a 2 round competition and get rid of all the ''trial'' matches which will attract bragging rights and little else, except to give individuals a chance to impress Rep selectors.

Yes, we'll see what happens. Being realistic is not the same as being negative. i just don't happen to be convinced by your sales pitch and I haven't got the blinkers on.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Ok sideline,

The responsible party for the trip OS has gone.

Many of your points are valid.

However mine IS NOT A SALES PITCH, IT IS MY OPINION about how to start taking school boy rugby forward, ie a larger comp.

There are usually barriers that need to be overcome to succeed in anything, and that's all we hear about from your team.
I don't believe any of these barriers are insurmountable given the right people heading rugby in schools.

Other than retaining the status quo of tiny tiny comps, which appear to be getting smaller and smaller , do you guys have ANY ideas, or do you think the way it is now will fight back against the round ball and aerial ping pong!

IF you think leaving everything the way it is now will ensure school boy rugby thrives going forward then the blinkers are well and truly on.

Very keen to see your way forward, starting firstly with school boy 1st XV rugby.

S

sidelineview

The start of the solution is at the grassroots level in schools and clubs. Getting the jump on soccer and AFL. If boys are already playing either code when they reach high school they are highly unlikely to change to rugby.

Targeting the young ones. Does anyone go around to the primary schools and promote rugby? do local rugby clubs and schools work hand in hand?
The Roosters used to do it and signed a lot of local kids up to junior league. I'm not sure if they still do it.

Do the rugby authorities have the resources to promote the game?

The other area where change is needed is in the public high school sector. What competitions are being run now? How is the game being promoted ?

You're putting all your eggs in the one 1st XV private schoolboy comp basket.
I wouldn't start there at all. It sounds good to have an expanded competition but the players have got to come from somewhere, and that goes back to the grassroots level.

The question is what is the overall strategy concerning Australian rugby to grow the game? Is there one?

And a school might have the ''right'' people heading the rugby programme but the school policies are dominated by being ''fair'' and giving equal billing to all other winter sports. It would be ''unfair'' for school administrators to favour rugby too much because someone or another would protest. In days gone by students had a choice of playing rugby, rugby or rugby.

And if there is to be one-round CAS and GPS competitions, how could the other games be best utilised ? Could public schools be included to promote the game?

I dont have all the answers but this change seems too underdone; not well thought out. It doesnt add up.

I suspect there is not an overall strategy in place but out of curiousity i would like to know who exactly were part of the think tank responsible for this proposed new comp format. Was it only the heads of schools or did the ARU or NSWRU have an input?

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Agree with all your comments about grass roots, the ARU? etc.

Who decided on what, and what is the plan.
We have all been saying these things, and an overall strategy is most definitely needed, all said before and all agree!

I am not putting all my eggs into 1 basket, never suggested it was the only factor, but it is a high profile piece of the puzzle, and at the moment I see it as going nowhere when it comes to competing against soccer or AFL.

IF, a new and dynamic schoolboy comp was developed and promoted (but it needs to be developed first), it could lift the profile of rugby, and as you know this can translate into grass roots participation.

Considerable strategic thought is required, and the current new format isn't the ultimate answer but a stepping stone.
If we included the QLD schoolboy comp,and public system, in some fashion, we could perhaps develop something really of note, there exists a solid backbone.

I also don't have all the answers BUT I do think change is needed, and there are most definitely options to combat these other ball games, after all we have the athletes!

AT the moment they are killing us!!!!!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rule 6.

Well worth a read. Save yourself time, and disappointment when your post disappears.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Think it's time to take the convo to another thread.

It's morphed into how to save the game from soccer and AFL and how best to develop players for the Wallabies.

Really not what the 2017 GPS thread should be all about.

Think everyone needs to let go about the change to 1 round. It is what it is. When the season starts there will be some fine rugby weather it be trials or comp.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Think everyone needs to let go about the change to 1 round. It is what it is. When the season starts there will be some fine rugby weather it be trials or comp.

Too true, but I feel desperately sorry for boys in Year 12 playing first XV in 2017. They would have experienced a fantastic 2 round competition this year and they are being served up a vastly inferior product next year. Even more sorry for boys who will be in Year 12 in 2017 who played 2nds or below in 2016 and were looking forward to being part of similar competition. Of course, the decision makers will be around in 2018 and beyond, but these boys get one shot at it.

S

sidelineview

Think it's time to take the convo to another thread.

It's morphed into how to save the game from soccer and AFL and how best to develop players for the Wallabies.

Really not what the 2017 GPS thread should be all about.

Fair point; it is what it is; that has to be accepted but is it the silver bullet or even part of the solution to fix the problems within Australian rugby as has been claimed ? That point's been argued to and fro enough to settle on an opinion. It's opened up a can of worms.
No one seems to be clear about the purpose of the change and where it's supposed to be heading but if its a done deal, then .......

and CAS schools are involved in the GPS comp now and vice-versa if you can call trial matches a comp .......

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
The whole thing is nothing more than a Frankenstein of half baked, jumbled thoughts, ill conceived, dim witted, poorly planned, communicated and executed actions which will achieve nothing, address nothing and appeal to no one other than the Joeys transport administrator and the same stupid, change hungry acolytes that we've seen vote for that orange skinned,comb over buffoon in the US.

It's a pox on schoolboy rugby and the Houses of the AAGPS and CAS.

No right thinking person has a problem with progress, which this is not.

If the comps have to be combined for the greater good then so be it, but what's wrong with carefully planning it, being transparent about the process, clearly communicating the reasons for and nature of the change to all stakeholders and then implement?
image.jpeg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And that should be the last post on the restructure of the competition.

As has been said previously it is what it is and nothing on here, no matter how often that message is posted, will change things.

Unless there is some fundamentally new information that comes to light, how about laying off the rants on the 2017 competition structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.