• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thanks QH for those results, they brighten up what is clearly a most disappointing 1st XV effort. I don't know what is going wrong with our firsts I thought they had the players and experience to make themselves a force in GPS Rugby for 2018. Clearly, something is lacking, I wonder what.

But the results from the younger teams is brilliant. Even, the 15As loss is a considerable improvement on the 2017 results as the 14As.Last year they loss 50-0 in the preseason and 35-7 in the GPS round to View. So a 26-14 loss is proof evident they are moving forward. They could even get a win in the 2018 GPS, based on their level of improvement.

14As result was a super effort as was 13As effort. Clearly, Newington supporters can obtain a sense of pride from these younger age groups and some hope for the future, despite the reality that other schools will improve in these age groups.

1st XV are quite young (plenty of Year 11 and a few Year 10 players). The number of errors in the basic skills of the game should be a concern, they created a number of try-scoring opportunities in the first half, only for he last past to go behind the player, or to nobody etc.

As you say, the work being put into the younger years is reaping rewards. Having someone of the calibre of Rob Egerton wanting to coach the 13As every year is fantastic. It really gives the whole age group a great start to GPS rugby. There has also been a lot of work put into the 15s, which has started to show. Still some losses, but they've closed the gap by working with the kids that they had and coaching them, which is something which I applaud and have long championed on these threads. The kids are responding and stepping up which is great. Last year Riverview defeated them by 50 or more, which has been reduced to 10 points.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
1st XV are quite young (plenty of Year 11 and a few Year 10 players). The number of errors in the basic skills of the game should be a concern, they created a number of try-scoring opportunities in the first half, only for he last past to go behind the player, or to nobody etc.

As you say, the work being put into the younger years is reaping rewards. Having someone of the calibre of Rob Egerton wanting to coach the 13As every year is fantastic. It really gives the whole age group a great start to GPS rugby. There has also been a lot of work put into the 15s, which has started to show. Still some losses, but they've closed the gap by working with the kids that they had and coaching them, which is something which I applaud and have long championed on these threads. The kids are responding and stepping up which is great. Last year Riverview defeated them by 50 or more, which has been reduced to 10 points.
Thanks QH it explains their performances and gives hope for the future over the coming years.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thanks QH it explains their performances and gives hope for the future over the coming years.

Newington would be one of the few places in Australian rugby which has more kids playing today than they did 5 years ago. The current coaching and development process is paying dividends IMO.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
observations from Hunters Hill

first time I have seen the Joeys 10 ... Jude Gibbs ... I have heard lots about the kid

and yes for someone in year 11 ... he is fast, agile and great hands

however the opposing 10 ....Savala was a class above ... helped by running off the back of an excellent forward pack

and the size difference ... if you compare Savala(10) and Strang (9), versus Joeys Gibbs (10) and the particularly slight-framed, 9 (Murray)... was huge

the Joeys 9 was however excellent ...and made some spectacular breaks

...so I see Joeys problem as ....what do you do, when you have such great pocket-sized players?

maybe they need to feed them more ... in the boarding house.

Scots in contrast are massive ... I hear the chatter about supplements, and wonder what they are doing ... I don't doubt it is legal ... but not sure if it creatine or some wizz bang supplement or just hard work

anyways Scots, towering Williams at 5 was awesome ... and he was playing like a kid , keen to impress the selectors ... and he did exactly that

$cots were without both Brial and the other tall second rower that played against Waverley ... so Scots has an embarassment of tall-timber ... particularly given their 8 (Harris) is an out-an-out star

anyways my points

Scots
3 points - Jeremy Williams (5)
2 points - Harris (8)
1 point - Savala (10)

Joeys
3 points - Ethan Cutler (5)
2 points - Scolari (11)
1 point - Murray (9)

Joeys to their credit ....really hung in there, and could have upset Scots ... and I thought it was great to see a referee (Andrew Koore I think is his name?) that could control the game well, without going to the pocket (0 yellow cards), and he let the 2 teams duke it out.

Re $cots I reckon they should elevate Darcy Clifton from the 2nds ... the kid is a freak, and I love his never say die, fiery attitude

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
From my limited observation of Scots this year, I'm impressed by whatever they're doing in skill development. The Scots 14B-14E teams that I saw a few weeks back were all very well-drilled in the core skills of the game.

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
observations from Hunters Hill

first time I have seen the Joeys 10 . Jude Gibbs . I have heard lots about the kid

and yes for someone in year 11 . he is fast, agile and great hands

however the opposing 10 ..Savala was a class above . helped by running off the back of an excellent forward pack

and the size difference . if you compare Savala(10) and Strang (9), versus Joeys Gibbs (10) and the particularly slight-framed, 9 (Murray). was huge

the Joeys 9 was however excellent .and made some spectacular breaks

.so I see Joeys problem as ..what do you do, when you have such great pocket-sized players?

maybe they need to feed them more . in the boarding house.

Scots in contrast are massive . I hear the chatter about supplements, and wonder what they are doing . I don't doubt it is legal . but not sure if it creatine or some wizz bang supplement or just hard work

anyways Scots, towering Williams at 5 was awesome . and he was playing like a kid , keen to impress the selectors . and he did exactly that

$cots were without both Brial and the other tall second rower that played against Waverley . so Scots has an embarassment of talent . particularly given their 8 (Harris) is an out an out star

anyways my points

Scots
3 points - Jeremy Williams (5)
2 points - Harris (8)
1 point - Savala (10)

Joeys
3 points - Ethan Cutler (5)
2 points - Scolari (11)
1 point - Murray (9)

Joeys really hung in there, and could have upset Scots . and I thought it was great to see a ref (Andrew Koore?) that could control the game well, without going to the pocket, and let the 2 teams duke it out.

Re $cots I reckon they should elevate Darcy Clifton from the 2nds . the kid is a freak, and I love his never say die, fiery attitude

Thx SBW Joe Brial is out for the season lucky Jeremy Williams is back I think you might see Tom Aveyard start at 13 next week after today’s game at HH, Darcey Clifton’s place in under 16 team has been filled by under 15 player not sure of his name but he’s a future talent, he won’t be elevated this season .......

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Riverview defence in the forwards was like a brick wall. Backs capitalised on a number of basic errors by New backs.

The score was still only 26-21 with 15 minutes to go - full credit to Riverview though, they really finished well and took advantage of every opportunity which presented itself.

QH, did Bell (New) play today? Prop?
Who were best for View? How did Scmidt play for View?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH, did Bell (New) play today? Prop?
Who were best for View? How did Scmidt play for View?

Bell played 1 for New and was one of their best. His work rate and impact is exceptional.12 and 7 best for View, but even though I was there at 12.15, I couldn't get a programme, so I have no idea of the Riverview names.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Thanks QH and OJ

Glad to hear Bell (New) is playing well, having been out injured earlier in season. Imo hes one of the best props to have come thru NSW schools system in a while. Very good at doing bread and butter prop stuff and even better at ball running etc.

OJ

I thought Kennedy has been playing behind the 2017 Australian u16s half (Albert). Maybe someone else could clarify that.

Although, I think Albert kicks too much and it wouldn't surprise me to hear that a running half may have helped ignite a backline full of great runners.

Re Schmidt, he may be best used by View in 2nd row, but for GPS, there will be other lads that could play there, creating a possible opportunity for him at 6.

Alternatively, GPS could pick Scmidt at 4 or 5 and Jeremy Williams at 6 instead, where i think he is best suited longer term, as quick runner too.

Just throwing around some possibilities.

GPS could have a monster pack, depending on selection priorities.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
GPS Predictions
1 A Bell(N),
2 W Maclennan(I), Zylstra(S), Heaven(J)
3 Patterson(S), A Holz(K),
4 J Williams(S), C Cale (K)
5 S Schmidt(I), J Brown (I)
6 Wellington(S), O Mitchell(K),
7 B Peper(K), R Hickey (J)
8 W Harris(S), H Bockenham (J)
9 S Strang(S), N Murray(J),R Kennedy(I)
10 C Savala(S), M Minogue(K)
11 M Dutaillis(I), J Sualli(K)
12 D Easy(I), V Creagh(J)
13 A Bell(I), B Stewart(K), H MacSmith(K)
14 J Williams(K), Scolari(J)
15 J Connelly(K)
Can't fault those predictions. Great job. Would only add Saul Lewis, Newington, for other 15 spot, if not injured. Or Jack Mossman, Scots.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Can't fault those predictions. Great job. Would only add Saul Lewis, Newington, for other 15 spot, if not injured. Or Jack Mossman, Scots.

Surprised you haven’t mentioned Scots Kobe Rugless definately good enough to play 12 or 13 been very solid this year .

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Surprised you haven’t mentioned Scots Kobe Rugless definately good enough to play 12 or 13 been very solid this year .

I think Kobe has played very well and is certainly good enough, but think the other 12s and 13s listed above more likely to be selected.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Would someone be able to post the thirds results for yesterday? I don't seem to be able to access the AAGPS site properly from this box. Tried it on the mobile as well without success.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Albert is a good player and was chosen in the 16s Aus Merit side but there are a number of 9s in the year above that are excellent this year. Not sure where your getting your info from about Schmidt, he hasn’t proven himself as a definite GPS starter yet. I think he is playing out of position and not utilised for height and weight in scrum. IMO a great 6 is quick to the breakdown,agile and an option in the line out
My opinion that Scmidt could make GPS is based purely on my own observations, from watching 2 matches he played in. Seems a bit raw, but thats a good thing. He has potential imo.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Would someone be able to post the thirds results for yesterday? I don't seem to be able to access the AAGPS site properly from this box. Tried it on the mobile as well without success.
Apparently we are forbidden from accessing results

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
I only saw H2. So in that half Joeys scored 19 points Scots 17. Two things struck me about Joeys, their D needs to stiffen up - too many first up broken tackles. With the ball they need to be more patient. They go wide too early in my book and aren’t willing to build pressure by grinding away at the good sides. Towards the end they uncharacteristically started kicking the ball away when they needed to hold it. They are a talented side but lack the physicality up front that others have and that will make it hard for them to win.

I think this is a very fair analysis. Joeys should be proud of their effort and will have some comfort and take some heart in that they nearly stole it. There must be talent present to get as close as they did. What it does show that whilst Scots is a very good side they are very beatable. However you have to play smartly and you have to tighten up defence otherwise you will be living in a fantasy land if your end goal is to actually win the competition.

The kicking the ball away (particularly from those whose role rarely demands it) needs to stop. Kicks were gifted back to the wingers and the fullback from inside our 22 time and time again and just placed the defence under pressure on the counter. I don't remember any kicks going out from inside our 22 but if there were it wasn't many.

If you look at Scots in defence, I noticed Savala stood on the wing a number of times particularly in set plays - not a great look but works very well if the opposition doesn't put the ball in behind him for their quicker wingers. That would be smart kicking at least rather than just gifting the ball away without making sure the ball goes into touch from the 22.

In terms of defence, if I were Joeys I would be concentrating on this for the rest of the season until they get it right . The cover can only keep cleaning up for so long.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Apparently we are forbidden from accessing results

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I wondered about this but thought that I must be paranoid. I used the live scores on the TAS rugby app. Saturday I was going to watch the school play but could not go. Thought not to worry, I can at least follow on the live app. Then found that the progressive scores were no longer public. My inability to access the AAGPS site followed.

It may all just be coincidence or there may have been a policy decision about external commentary. I didn't say this at the time, but last year I received some negative feedback from a senior person about G&G and by implication my role that took quite a bit of the joy out of my commentary. It's the only way I can easily participate and had re-ignited my links to TAS.

As I said, it may all be a coincidence. If it is a policy change no doubt there are more informed people here who may be able to advise us about it.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Just for my own curiosity, does anybody have the TASvIggies score? According to Friday's Armidale Express, in the game against Scots TAS had six players out because of pre-season injuries.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
GPS Predictions
1 A Bell(N),
2 W Maclennan(I), Zylstra(S), Heaven(J)
3 Patterson(S), A Holz(K),
4 J Williams(S), C Cale (K)
5 S Schmidt(I), J Brown (I)
6 Wellington(S), O Mitchell(K),
7 B Peper(K), R Hickey (J)
8 W Harris(S), H Bockenham (J)
9 S Strang(S), N Murray(J),R Kennedy(I)
10 C Savala(S), M Minogue(K)
11 M Dutaillis(I), J Sualli(K)
12 D Easy(I), V Creagh(J)
13 A Bell(I), B Stewart(K), H MacSmith(K)
14 J Williams(K), Scolari(J)
15 J Connelly(K)

Good selections O.J. that have been vindicated by this weekends results.
What would be really useful is for both Strang and Savala to be chosen as a unit.
They both deserve a place in their own right.
Tremendous value in established combinations in a composite side such as the GPS team.
Don't want to suffer defeat at the hands of CAS for a second year.
Jeremy Williams return against Joeys makes him an absolute must for selection.
2 tries and amazing pace for a big second rower.
Instantly reminded of how good he was last year.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Hi JB

Here are the 3rds results form the weekend and the table from the GPS website.

RUGBY RESULTS

Saturday 16 June 2018
3rd XV

Scots 27 def Grammar 17
Shore 7 lost to Kings 19
High 7 lost to St Josephs 43
Riverview 22 def TAS 0

Points table

1. Scots 2 0 0 0 61 7 4
2. Riverview 2 0 0 0 44 0 4
3. Kings 2 0 0 0 27 12 4
4. Grammar 1 0 1 0 24 32 2