• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
With Joeys scraping home against New it's very much as predicted.
Only 3 schools still in the hunt.
Kings and Scots looking the ones to beat with their meeting scheduled for the final round.
Riverview versus Newington next week should be an interesting match up.
Based on last Saturday and with home advantage, Newington would be my favourites for that one.
Early predictions.
Scots by 60.
Kings by 25
New by 10
If Joeys plays like they did on Saturday you can double that margin to fifty.

The good news is that their worst game hopefully is out of the way.

For a marked improvement some magic coaching words "PASS THE BALL" would be a very good start. The back 3 are passengers and if not for tackling would be regarded as redundant and yet are weapons that continue to be ignored.

Let's throw everything at Kings and let the ball sing. If so, it will be a lot closer than everybody thinks.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Agree with regard to Kings Rich, but we play Joeys at home.
We have won 12 GPS games in a row against them.
They haven't beaten us since 2009 and this years team is one of the best in recent memory.

Careful of the over confidence against Joeys.

Small history lesson in karma.

In 2010 Kings School had 8 Australian Schoolboys in their side when they played Joeys at White Oval.
More than the current Scots team have.
Kings were considered "unbeatable" just like Scots are. Joeys were expected to loose by 40.
Kings supporters made the error of thinking that a Joeys team with NO Australian Schoolboys were no match.

Joeys were down all match but like the 54 premiership winning teams in the past, they found something.
Matt Hulme (Joeys winger) scored a 60 m solo try to lift the Joeys boys. Kings started to doubt.

Then with a minute left on the clock, Joeys kicker kicked a penalty to put them up 21-20 and the all bedlam broke loose.

Lesson- Never take a win for granted as the universe has a habit of making you look silly.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
With the number of reps that Scots has, it would be a huge upset for Kings to beat them. Did Scots have 8 of the 15 players in NSW 1 or nsw 2? If so, that’s insanely good.

11 of Scots first XV were playing at the State championship.
7 of the forwards and 4 of the backs.
8 made NSW teams and 3 Combined States

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Careful of the over confidence against Joeys.

Small history lesson in karma.

In 2010 Kings School had 8 Australian Schoolboys in their side when they played Joeys at White Oval.
More than the current Scots team have.
Kings were considered "unbeatable" just like Scots are. Joeys were expected to loose by 40.
Kings supporters made the error of thinking that a Joeys team with NO Australian Schoolboys were no match.

Joeys were down all match but like the 54 premiership winning teams in the past, they found something.
Matt Hulme (Joeys winger) scored a 60 m solo try to lift the Joeys boys. Kings started to doubt.

Then with a minute left on the clock, Joeys kicker kicked a penalty to put them up 21-20 and the all bedlam broke loose.

Lesson- Never take a win for granted as the universe has a habit of making you look silly.

Great footage Joker.
Wonderful to see so much passion from the boys on the touchline.
Fences can be fixed.
I don't think the Scots team or coach would be complacent for one second.
I'm just a middle aged 'rugby tragic' Scots parent savouring a period of high quality Scots football.
Joeys most definitely present a threat.
The team will be fired up and taking nothing for granted.
It's always a great match against Joeys, both teams love to throw the football round and play at pace.
They would be the 2 fittest teams in the competition.
Looking forward to the clash!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)

Best representation I have seen from Scots since 1993.

I think Joeys best was in 1990

16 played GPS...yes a boy from the 2nds made it (13 in the 1st XV) Scott Bowen (Newington) was GPS flyhalf I recall.
9 played in NSW 1 and 4 played in NSW 2. No combined states teams back then.
7 Australian Schoolboys in 1990 (including future Wallabies Matt Burke and Peter Jorgensen) repeated in 1995 with another 7.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rixon played 3 full games that season

Then miraculously made NSW II (from GPS white or blue), and was integral to NSW II defeating NSW I, before getting injured in the act of scoring a try. Didn't play again for the school, but made Aus Schools Barbarians and blitzed it in that game before getting injured.

That possibly was his last game of Rugby.

So much potential, he could have achieved anything in this game.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Good post UTGs.

And those wanting to go back 10 years or more. Shore did win a shared premiership in 2006.

Honey Badger, that's the point. It has turned to shite since 2006. The first step to solving a problem is recognising that there is one. The premiership in 2006 and the results below show that there is a problem. Maybe its not the coaches, maybe its the support for the coaches. The current year 12 students have seen their first XV win only 2 matches the entire time they have been in high school! The faces I saw on Sat after the game indicated that they didnt want to play rugby anymore so the school is failing them. Put them against teams that they have a chance of beating. If they improve in the future, then maybe move them back. The problem with this is that the GPS comp will become a joke with only 5 teams.

GPS Round 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010
1 17-48 Loss 10-59 Loss 13-25 Loss 7-21 Loss 20-40 Loss 20-15 Loss 19-15 Win L 15-24 L 10-14
2 66-5 Loss 28-51 Loss 10-33 Loss 17-22 Loss 19-36 Loss 13-23 Loss Bye L 23-39 L 17·34
3 28-66 Loss 21-47 Loss 10-43 Loss 7-64 Loss 35-10 Loss 36·7 Win (Grammar) L 18-19 D 15-15
4 21-47 Loss 19-26 Loss 17-43 Loss 20-26 Loss 38-15 Loss 34·29 Win L 32-37 W 20-14 (Grammar)
5 7-45 Loss 7-16 Loss 18-39 Loss 26-15 Win 20-37 Loss 22-36 Loss W 36-12 (Grammar) L 48.20
6 26-29 Loss 0-32 Loss 15-24 Loss 21-32 Loss 24·27 Loss L 19-22 W 32-19
7 10-36 Loss 7-43 Loss 24-24 Draw 80-17 Loss 14-24 Loss
8 17-5 Win 12-64 Loss 22-24 Loss 17-36 Loss
9 14-38 Loss 12-55 Loss 15-14 Win 17-33 Loss
10 10-45 Loss 12-28 Loss 22-29 Loss 48-3 Loss

Position 6th 6th 6th 5th 6th ? ? ?

Sherwood

Frank Row (1)
My two-bobs worth for the schools rugby.
Each association play their various competitions in the first half of the year to decide GPS, CAS ISA etc premiers.
The top 2 in each comp then play for the NSW schools championship in the 2nd half of the year.
The next 2 play in Div 2, the next 2 in Div 3.
This would allow the best schools in each comp to play each other in a meaningful match.
It would also allow the weaker teams play each other, given them a chance to win (or compete) in more games.
To somehow incorporate CHS sports high schools or other rugby playing schools would be great.
Imagine Finals day at North Sydney Oval where you could have Div 3 final Riverview v Stannies, followed by Div 2 Joeys v Knox, then the State Championship game between Scots and Waverley. Not a bad day of schoolboy rugby.
Just a thought.

rollin_maul

Peter Burge (5)

It's not surprising Scots are doing well. Not only are they great players, most of them have been playing togther for years. For example, a quick google search reviewed that in 2014, the earliest I could find, Patterson (1), Zylstra (2), Wingrove (3), Williams (5), Harris (8), Strang (9), Savala (10), Mason (10/12) and Tricks (11) were all in Scots 14As, while Zuchiatti (14) was in 13As and Mossman (15) was in 13Bs.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
42mins action from Hunters Hill on saturday.

In the dying seconds at 41.05 how can that have possibly been a penalty to Newington.
The Newington player lying on the ground held the ball for a long time with no support nearby.
The Joeys boy goes to steal it, he still hangs on and the penalty goes the other way.
Lucky that it didn't change the result.
Not sure why Newington didn't take the 3 points, it looked well within range.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I
The Newington player lying on the ground held the ball for a long time with no support nearby.
The Joeys boy goes to steal it, he still hangs on and the penalty goes the other way.
Lucky that it didn't change the result.

If that was the only suspect call in the game, you'd be correct. If you go back a couple of seconds earlier you'll see that the player tackled was tackled high (arm hits ball carriers head at 41.04)and also that the Joeys backline were a metre offside for the phases leading up to it (phase at 40.33 in particular).

It all evens out Wristy. (very unusual to get a late penalty like that at HH too ;))

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
If Joeys plays like they did on Saturday you can double that margin to fifty.

The good news is that their worst game hopefully is out of the way.

For a marked improvement some magic coaching words "PASS THE BALL" would be a very good start. The back 3 are passengers and if not for tackling would be regarded as redundant and yet are weapons that continue to be ignored.

Let's throw everything at Kings and let the ball sing. If so, it will be a lot closer than everybody thinks.

I feel you are being bit harsh on Joeys against New. I saw the DVD on this site involving both teams. To me New played some great Rugby with the last try to New, exceptional in its creative and execution. Also, I suspect joeys supporters were expecting a big win and when this did not occur the 1st VX is to blame. Give credit where credit is due, Newington simply gave Joeys an unexpected close game.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Honey Badger, that's the point. It has turned to shite since 2006.

The current year 12 students have seen their first XV win only 2 matches the entire time they have been in high school!

Dr Wrong started at Shore 2003.

Dr Lambert at Scots 2007.

As for what happened since 2006, these 2 Head of Schools have a lot to answer for. Both took their respective school's Rugby programs too far in the wrong direction.

I know of 3 GPS comp wins and 1 draw and a respectable number of trial wins. Agreed, not good enough.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Dr Wrong started at Shore 2003.

Dr Lambert at Scots 2007.

As for what happened since 2006, these 2 Head of Schools have a lot to answer for. Both took their respective school's Rugby programs too far in the wrong direction.

I know of 3 GPS comp wins and 1 draw and a respectable number of trial wins. Agreed, not good enough.

Lambo was brought in to "fix the sport". He's certainly achieved that goal. Dr Wright has taken Shore to the academic levels of a State Selective School - that may well have been his brief.

There's a lot to be said about the sentence I have put in bold though.

As a matter of interest, how do the rugby results compare with other sports results at Shore? (other than the rowing program)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Lambo was brought in to "fix the sport". He's certainly achieved that goal. Dr Wright has taken Shore to the academic levels of a State Selective School - that may well have been his brief.

There's a lot to be said about the sentence I have put in bold though.

As a matter of interest, how do the rugby results compare with other sports results at Shore? (other than the rowing program)
Rugby is the standout worst sport in terms of A and B level results. Certainly the majority of Shore’s Opens and A level cricket and soccer teams would finish in the top 3 schools most years. The basketball programme is incredibly rigorous and there is a very good culture where boys turn up for extra sessions during the holidays and in the offseason and coaches will be there to assist. Alarmingly, the basketball programme has been this way for quite a while and despite Shore struggling for a number of years at Rugby it’s only this year they’ve decided to overhaul it and enact some of the systems that have proved successful in rowing and basketball.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
... Alarmingly, the basketball programme has been this way for quite a while and despite Shore struggling for a number of years at Rugby it’s only this year they’ve decided to overhaul it and enact some of the systems that have proved successful in rowing and basketball.
Some comments on G&GR over the last few years would indicate that school holiday training camps have occurred. Gold Coast training camp, NZ development tour, and the Rugby School 7's tournament spring to mind.
S&C isn't new to Shore's rugby from what I've heard. Maybe not as year-round as other schools though.
Certainly this year has seen a big emphasis on school-wide consistency of coaching techniques.