• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Straight Through

Bob McCowan (2)
Just because you go to a GPS school, and are the best player in your position at the school doesn't automatically make you a great player, who is true 1st XV material. Throughout all of Sydney, we are seeing floggings week in, and week out. The whole schoolboy rugby program needs to change.

Why is it, that the Shore 2nd XV has won 4/5 games so far this pre-season, when the 1sts can't even compete? This 2nd XV team in my opinion, will be battling it out with Joeys for the premiership.
How can the Joeys 1st XV, lose to Trinity, when the Joeys 2nds won 109-0.

The whole entire system is ludicrous. Change is due!

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
A school 1st XV should be the best 15 players from the school year group. A school 1st XV.

But something happens at some schools where the 1st XV is way way stronger than the 2nd XV. These are not school 1st XV's. They are contrived and artificial and not for discussion in this thread.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
On a different note. I saw the Kings 13As on the weekend. Outstanding rugby from a couple of big skilful props and very classy, (although large) outside backs. Will be a team to watch over the next few years. From talking to some sideline parents they have wracked up hundreds of points and not conceded yet.

Come on ref

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just because you go to a GPS school, and are the best player in your position at the school doesn't automatically make you a great player, who is true 1st XV material. Throughout all of Sydney, we are seeing floggings week in, and week out. The whole schoolboy rugby program needs to change.

Why is it, that the Shore 2nd XV has won 4/5 games so far this pre-season, when the 1sts can't even compete? This 2nd XV team in my opinion, will be battling it out with Joeys for the premiership.
How can the Joeys 1st XV, lose to Trinity, when the Joeys 2nds won 109-0.

The whole entire system is ludicrous. Change is due!

All but 2 players from trinity played some 1st XV last year. The 2 that didn't are both able to play u/16's .1 was injured last year
and didn't play a game, the other played in u/15's. Hard work and a will to win won the game for trinity on saturday

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I would like to know when the last time Trinity won a 1st XV match vs Joeys.

Not even sure how often these 2 would have played.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
All but 2 players from trinity played some 1st XV last year. The 2 that didn't are both able to play u/16's .1 was injured last year
and didn't play a game, the other played in u/15's. Hard work and a will to win won the game for trinity on saturday

Please detail the players in the 1st XV who are on Trinity All rounder scholarships.
There is no issue with CAS schools as there in nothing against sports scholarships in the CAS bylaws.
Is it just rugby or doing they give them for other sports?

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Did anyone go the St Augustines vs Newington game that can post a bit of info on the game?
From the result it looks like it was a close game.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
So I have now seen all GPS 1sts sides play, except for Shore. I know it's still early days, but I think that, like last year, it will be a 'three-horse race' - between Kings, Scots and Joeys. IMO Scots have the best pack, Kings the best back line and Joeys second best in both.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^^
And as Scots host Kings on Saturday week, 2/6, and a fortnight later on 16/6, in the final Trial match, they travel over to HH, then subject to injuries and any last-minute positional fiddle-f@rt-arsing about, you should have a reasonable ‘read’ on those three alleged front-runners before Round 1 the week after!

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Scots were too good Wristy, no doubt.

it would have been good to see that Waves team clean up Scots last year, never mind.

After Saturday's result, I'm now not so sure Waves would have cleaned up Scots last year.

Sure, Waves would have had Wright, Cornish, Bell, Hardeker and others.

But take the core of this year's Scots side (Zylstra, Harris, Robson, Wellington, Savala and Tricks, then add Breen, Willams, Smith (if not injured), Yassmin and the Baker twins) and it would have been a close game IMO.

Such a shame it never happened. But it is what it is.

Come on ref

Allen Oxlade (6)
Please detail the players in the 1st XV who are on Trinity All rounder scholarships.
There is no issue with CAS schools as there in nothing against sports scholarships in the CAS bylaws.
Is it just rugby or doing they give them for other sports?
no idea how many are on all rounder scholarships, theses are 25 to 50% scholarships.
there are kids with scholarships who play all sports at trinity, cricket ,football,swimming ,athletics,[/quote]

Props rule

Frank Nicholson (4)

And the 25 balls joeys dropped!! Sometimes teams at the schoolboy level have an off day and that was joeys on the weekend so wouldn't read too much into the result. Credit to trinity who played tough and gritty all day. They will challenge lots of teams this year if they can stay injury free as they don't have the depth. Best for trinity were definitely front row, the 10 and 13. Well done on a great result but plenty of upside for the joeys boys this weekend against barker

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I heard that a roster system was/is in place for the allocation of ovals to teams at Newington. In the past this most notably in 16A game some years ago caused some anger. So yes, a sense of the occasion should be the determinant.

Oh, any chance of New results against St.Augustines in 1st,2nds and 16As would be most appreciated.

There's no roster system and wasn't last year - athough in years before that there was and each age group had one or two rounds off site. For the last 2 years the 14s age group are shunted to Tempe every week.

St Augs won the 1sts - not exactly sure of the score but it was something like 38-18. Don't know about 16A or 2nds.

It was a difficult day as half the teams were at Pius and half at Narrabeen. This week is much better as the schools have sensibly come to the arrangement as indicated by WTF that all 14s and 15s are at Queens Park and the other games at Stanmore - which means no Tempe.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yep if the opens and 16s aren't playing at home, why wouldn't you let the 15/14/13as etc enjoy the big arena.
Couldn't agree more with you QH.

I know when we play at Riverview,the last 5 times in a row I might add, we are always put on a postage size/junior school field.
We played there 3 weeks ago in the 14 and 15as, the AFL was on no.1.

Couldn't agree more - last year when New played Shore at Northbridge, there weren't enough grounds, so the 14s played on the main ground at Stanmore. A far better arrangement than playing off site at some cow paddock

Reactions: WLF

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
And the 25 balls joeys dropped!! Sometimes teams at the schoolboy level have an off day and that was joeys on the weekend so wouldn't read too much into the result. Credit to trinity who played tough and gritty all day. They will challenge lots of teams this year if they can stay injury free as they don't have the depth. Best for trinity were definitely front row, the 10 and 13. Well done on a great result but plenty of upside for the joeys boys this weekend against barker

Joeys were outplayed. Simple as that. It’s amazing what happens when the defence moves up (Shore did not) and puts a side under pressure. This was Joeys’ third game this season and so I was surprised at how well they played against Shore the week before but watching from the side it was pretty evident that Trinity can tackle and moved up from the line. Definitely they were up for it so good on them. Many dropped balls resulted. I don’t think Joeys won a scrum so work to do there. Joeys should get better as it gets more trials under the belt. Barker will be a massive test so looking forward to that. All is not lost - credit given where credit due. Trinity will certainly be no pushover for most this year.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So I have now seen all GPS 1sts sides play, except for Shore. I know it's still early days, but I think that, like last year, it will be a 'three-horse race' - between Kings, Scots and Joeys. IMO Scots have the best pack, Kings the best back line and Joeys second best in both.

I would have said that a week ago, but the Joeys loss to Trinity suggests it might be a two horse race (not that one should ever discount Joeys).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That Newington team doesnt look like last years 15As, must be a few players now in the opens. If I remember correctly last years Scots 15As lost their last game to Shore.

You can never judge a Scots age group on 15s as half the year group are at Glengarry.

EDIT: There is at least one boy from last years' New 15As playing 1sts at the moment (and probably only 1 I'd imagine)