• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Good question and from experience I can answer that a lot of factors do change (disregarding which schools have specific rugby programmes). That age group is always unpredictable as a guide to the future. Boys can have size and weight advantages early on but then come back to the pack. That age group also often has a mix of Year 7 with young year 8 boys as well which changes as they get older and the original teams divide as the year 8 boys hit opens earlier. I do think kids dropping out ( usually to play another sport) is huge. You only have to see the change from rugby v soccer team numbers over the years at most schools (along with many more sports on offer) to realise young kids change sports more than before.

Another, issue is Newington has a very small boarding house and limited depth in the older age groups, particularly, the open division. Whereas, the other schools benefit from greater depth, that has matured and developed as Rugby players and resides in their significantly larger boarding houses. Hence, they have larger number of boys to choose from in the open division. With only 6-7 Rugby teams in the opens, we tend not too competitive much below the 2nds or 3rds.

Currently, 13s & 14s are performing above exceptions, but this might have less to do with an infusion of Pacific Islander boys. Rather, an excellent coaching program is paying dividends with blow out results. U/13s had have beaten Waverley 70-5 in one game, Trinity 50-12 in another. While 14s beat Trinity 91-0 and View 89-12 and there only the score I know. Both teams also have Scots twice by convincing amounts.However, these results will narrow over the coming years.

However, these results could represent a demographic change at Newington, with an entry or return of a pro-Rugby students and their parents. But I also suspect soccer's impact has slowed down at Newington and rugby numbers are on the rise and will continue to rise.

Quick Hands can make a personal observation, on this issue better than I can. But I believe there has been a return of Anglo-Saxons boys and now Lebanese Boys from the Inner West are now playing Rugby League as their first sporting choice. On arriving at Newington their move to union is a nature one.

So Newington could be 'bucking the trend' and representing a new direction. Particularly, as boys of Australian-Chinese backgrounds are heading less to the Independent Schools and more to the selective high schools. This is only a personal observation and limited to Newington. So with excellent coaching and maintaining player depth in the age divisions the current 13 and 14s are less likely to fall away as a talented age group.

However, it also works the other way our struggling 15As have made a pleasing improvement in their results. Still have a long way to go but do represent that improvement from the 15s onwards.

So when I enquire about results on Saturdays it is done with a hope that better results await Newington in the coming years.Even this is not as bad as it appears. As only 2017 and 2018 have delivered constantlyreally poor results. Even, 2014 had significant successful results despite 101 loss to Scots. That was an aberration.

Unlike Scots that has undergone a massive upheaval in improved results due to a highly professional effort. Newington's improvement will be more gradual.

Another,school to watch is ,Kinross, they are also developing their game.A 26-27 loss to Augustines and two 70 plus wins against Pius and St.Pats is a warning that a new Schoolboy Rugby power could be on the horizon. If only other schools could be more like Scots, Newington, Kinross and ST.Augustines in raising Rugby standards and Numbers.One can only hope.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Another, issue is Newington has a very small boarding house and limited depth in the older age groups, particularly, the open division. Whereas, the other schools benefit from greater depth, that has matured and developed as Rugby players and resides in their significantly larger boarding houses. Hence, they have larger number of boys to choose from in the open division. With only 6-7 Rugby teams in the opens, we tend not too competitive much below the 2nds or 3rds.

Currently, 13s & 14s are performing above exceptions, but this might have less to do with an infusion of Pacific Islander boys. Rather, an excellent coaching program is paying dividends with blow out results. U/13s had have beaten Waverley 70-5 in one game, Trinity 50-12 in another. While 14s beat Trinity 91-0 and View 89-12 and there only the score I know. Both teams also have Scots twice by convincing amounts.However, these results will narrow over the coming years.

However, these results could represent a demographic change at Newington, with an entry or return of a pro-Rugby students and their parents. But I also suspect soccer's impact has slowed down at Newington and rugby numbers are on the rise and will continue to rise.

Quick Hands can make a personal observation, on this issue better than I can. But I believe there has been a return of Anglo-Saxons boys and now Lebanese Boys from the Inner West are now playing Rugby League as their first sporting choice. On arriving at Newington their move to union is a nature one.

So Newington could be 'bucking the trend' and representing a new direction. Particularly, as boys of Australian-Chinese backgrounds are heading less to the Independent Schools and more to the selective high schools. This is only a personal observation and limited to Newington. So with excellent coaching and maintaining player depth in the age divisions the current 13 and 14s are less likely to fall away as a talented age group.

However, it also works the other way our struggling 15As have made a pleasing improvement in their results. Still have a long way to go but do represent that improvement from the 15s onwards.

So when I enquire about results on Saturdays it is done with a hope that better results await Newington in the coming years.Even this is not as bad as it appears. As only 2017 and 2018 have delivered constantlyreally poor results. Even, 2014 had significant successful results despite 101 loss to Scots. That was an aberration.

Unlike Scots that has undergone a massive upheaval in improved results due to a highly professional effort. Newington's improvement will be more gradual.

Another,school to watch is ,Kinross, they are also developing their game.A 26-27 loss to Augustines and two 70 plus wins against Pius and St.Pats is a warning that a new Schoolboy Rugby power could be on the horizon. If only other schools could be more like Scots, Newington, Kinross and ST.Augustines in raising Rugby standards and Numbers.One can only hope.

In addition on the Kinross thread, I think they merged with All Saints Bathurst so their numbers are on the up

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
In addition on the Kinross thread, I think they merged with All Saints Bathurst so their numbers are on the up
All Saints Bathurst and Scots Bathurst have merged (actually a Scots/Presbyterian takeover)

Nothing to do with Kinross.

Full merger happens next year. Although the sale is through, the 2 schools are operating as separate entities for 2018.

The new school might be too strong for ISA div 2, both school have long rugby history.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Anyone got any tips for tomorrow?
I think:

GPS v CAS 1sts will be very tight. But i wont sit on fence. 5 pt win to GPS.

GPS v CAS 2 should see GPS win by quite a few - say 20 points. GPS 2 backs look slick but forwards will dominate. That 2s pack wouldnt weigh much less than a Shute Shield side. I reckon a few will make NSW 1 or 2, or Combined States from this team.

GPS Blue v White should also be close. Like @ACS, i wouldn't be surprised if White win. By say 5 to 10 points. Good to see some lads from 2nd XV sides have been selected - Botha (3) from Scots and Everleigh (12) from Joeys, as well as 1 each from Grammar and TAS, in White team and reserves.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Anyone have any smokies from Blue or White to make NSW or Combined States?

I think Zylstra the Scots hooker was unlucky not to get selected in the higher teams.
An outstanding work rate and tackle count every week.
Scored a couple of tries against Newington on Saturday.
A key member of a front row 3 that has seen off all sides to date this season.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)

a few quick questions. 1. Is New 3rds playing in the GPS comp? I saw New 2nds played Scots 3rds last weekend? Are there really that many Lebanese boys at New that it would make a difference re rugby, I have seen only a handful evrytime i watched a home game and none were playing rugby. 4. Wha about the boys that come up through Lindfield prep, don't they bring the rugby culture with them? 5. My observations is King's is now almost the same demographics Grammar i.e. plenty of Asian and South Asian kids and much less country boarders (my nephew is there and he said they have merged nearly all boarding houses due to low numbers) but this doesn't seem to have affected their rugby prowess.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
There are still over 400 boarders at Kings and demand for boarding is higher than ever. Kings went through a period of merging the boarding houses and reducing boarding facilities. Demand has now kicked up again and its boarding facilities are full. Kings is the second largest boarding school in Australia behind Joeys. There are about 240-250 boarding and day students in each year and about half are non anglo's. It's a much better representation of society than say Shore.
My personal opinion is that the problems and challenges faced by Shore (and probably Riverview) is the influence that lower north shore families have on these schools. The strength of Kings (and Joeys) sporting teams and culture in general, is the boys, coaches and teachers dont face these external influence/complaints and allowed to focus on teaching, coaching and schooling. Many rugby families living in Mosman and surrounding areas honestly believe that they are at the epi-centre of rugby in Australia - the arrogance is incredible. Diversity is a good thing.....and it's certainly helping Kings' academics which are now only behind selective Grammar and probably High but ahead of Shore which was leading for a long time. If academics are important to you, then frankly, you can forget the rest.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
All Saints Bathurst and Scots Bathurst have merged (actually a Scots/Presbyterian takeover)

Nothing to do with Kinross.

Full merger happens next year. Although the sale is through, the 2 schools are operating as separate entities for 2018.

The new school might be too strong for ISA div 2, both school have long rugby history.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

oops. Apologies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
a few quick questions. 1. Is New 3rds playing in the GPS comp? I saw New 2nds played Scots 3rds last weekend? Are there really that many Lebanese boys at New that it would make a difference re rugby, I have seen only a handful evrytime i watched a home game and none were playing rugby. 4. Wha about the boys that come up through Lindfield prep, don't they bring the rugby culture with them? 5. My observations is King's is now almost the same demographics Grammar i.e. plenty of Asian and South Asian kids and much less country boarders (my nephew is there and he said they have merged nearly all boarding houses due to low numbers) but this doesn't seem to have affected their rugby prowess.
The inclusion of Lebanese boys was told to me by a respected member of staff. It was said with a sense of pride to Newington's Multi cultural demographics. I cannot provide any statistics, other that Rugby numbers are growing. For many years Newington could only expect to raise 5 Teams in the U/13s and four in the other age divisions and 5 in the opens. Growth is slow but we can expect to have 6 in the U/13s and sometimes 7. In the opens again its great to see a 6thXV and sometimes even a 7thXV. A possible return to a large boarding House could occur, particularly in the senior years and more grounds are all issues that could further enhance Playing numbers at Newington

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
The strength of Kings (and Joeys) sporting teams and culture in general, is the boys, coaches and teachers dont face these external influence/complaints and allowed to focus on teaching, coaching and schooling. Many rugby families living in Mosman and surrounding areas honestly believe that they are at the epi-centre of rugby in Australia - the arrogance is incredible.

From experience, the only external coaches at Joeys are old boys and some parents. The old boys are paid a pittance and the parents do it for free. Even the new Headmaster has carried on the long tradition of taking a team (13G's) This really deters parents from having a go at the coaches as they know the Joeys head is one of the them to.

Can anyone tell me what sports teams have these Headmasters, Lambert (Scots), Wright (Shore), Mulford (Newington), Hine (Riverview), Hawkes (Kings), Vallance (Grammar) and Jaggar (High) coached?

Sparkle Motion

Peter Burge (5)
From experience, the only external coaches at Joeys are old boys and some parents. The old boys are paid a pittance and the parents do it for free. Even the new Headmaster has carried on the long tradition of taking a team (13G's) This really deters parents from having a go at the coaches as they know the Joeys head is one of the them to.

Can anyone tell me what sports teams have these Headmasters, Lambert (Scots), Wright (Shore), Mulford (Newington), Hine (Riverview), Hawkes (Kings), Vallance (Grammar) and Jaggar (High) coached?

I don't know of teams Mulford has coached, but he is a presence and positive influence at sports on the weekend. My impression is that he is highly regarded for having helped shape the broader culture of the school in his time there and will be missed when he retires this year. The Head of Stanmore and Deputy Headmaster (Roberts) coaches the first XVIII AFL team at Newington. No parents coach any sports to the best of my knowledge. And old boys are well paid for their coaching at New!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
The dark side has been brought down.
Emperor Clambert will not be happy
World domination takes a set back

what-do-you-5b31e7.jpg

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Haha Joker-man
Am looking fwd to seeing some kind soul’s video, or even just the penned thoughts from eyewitnesses about respective performances.
Clearly, there was only one end of the field to be standing at! ;)