• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Score just in from a mate.

GPS Pres A 39-19 GPS Pres B in final of u16s tournament this afternoon.
Pres A backs just too good, apparently.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Screenshot_20180701-173733.png

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^^^
Goodonya W88.

Gee, there’s some firepower in this CS squad.
Not sure if it’s backed up by results across the years at the Aus Schools Champs, but I do love the CS team. It’s the only one where it’s inherently a “national” side - at least drawn from national pools.

Agreed CJ. Intriguing though that it so much less national than past years. 20 NSW, 3 QLD and zero other. Not sure if that is reflective of selectors’ views that this years crop of NS Welshman is much stronger across the board than their QLD, ACT and Vic counterparts in particular. It certainly seems a strong cohort from what Ive seen, but Ive only seen NSW players. Time will tell, but suspect they will be very competitive.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
As I understand it, and for the benefit of others that may not be familiar with selection process.

The first 15 players selected are NSW 1, the next 15 are NSW 2. The next 8 are NSW 1 reserves , the last 8 are NSW 2 reserves.

I think u will find it was chosen nsw 1 (1-23) first then nsw 2 (1-23) . This is different to previous years both teams however look strong and wishing them good luck.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Do you know that for a fact?

Probably the way they should do it.

They mustn't want another embarrassment like what happened in 2016

S

sidelineview

Do you know that for a fact?

Probably the way they should do it.

They mustn't want another embarrassment like what happened in 2016

What embarrassment?
The NSW1 team was seen to be better on paper in 2016 but didn't perform as strongly as a team during the week.
It happens. Some teams gel better than others during the 2 week period of time.
The conditions were wet as well; some teams handled it better than others.

The unpredictability of the competition is one of the attractions of the Championships.
It's just like Forrest Gump said: its like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
As I understand it, and for the benefit of others that may not be familiar with selection process.

The first 15 players selected are NSW 1, the next 15 are NSW 2. The next 8 are NSW 1 reserves , the last 8 are NSW 2 reserves.

I've been told by a selector, that the bench for 2's ranked ahead of bench for 1's

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I've been told by a selector, that the bench for 2's ranked ahead of bench for 1's

This is about the 3rd different version posted here. I had also heard this from people purporting to be in the "know". I believe that this version is the predominant view and IMHO actually makes the most sense. Not based on opining on who is in the squads but more the logic in providing greater depth to the NSW2s. Having said that, looking at the two squads, there doesnt appear much between them. Also add in CS for that matter.

It would be a lot easier if NSWSRU actually published a selection policy somewhere and also published the policy on player rights to game time etc. Last year there was debate about whether it was minimum 60 minutes or 80 minutes play time over the Championships and also whether each player had a guaranteed start.

Has anyone seen a policy published somewhere or does anyone have definitive answers to all of the above?

S

sidelineview

There were no relevant rules printed in last year's program but the 2016 program included General Rules as follows, assuming they havent changed for 2018:

All players are required to play the eqivalent of at least one full game ( 2 × 30 min halves = 60 minutes) and be selected at least once in the run on XV.
23 players per squad with at least 2 players nominated who can play in each of the positions of loose head prop, hooker & tight head prop. And at least 3 players who can play lock.

A team can substitute up to 3 front rowers and up to 5 other players as well as replacing any injured players during a game.

4 points for a win
2 points for a draw
1 point for a loss by 7 points or less.
0 points for a loss by more than 7 points.
1 point for scoring 4 or more tries.

There are other Rules concerning teams drawn on points before the final day.

In the case of a drawn match on the final day the 2 teams will be declared equal winners.

No idea about which reserve bench is named first but it was a popular theory in 2016 that the NSW2 bench was named first.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
There were no relevant rules printed in last year's program but the 2016 program included General Rules as follows, assuming they havent changed for 2018:

All players are required to play the eqivalent of at least one full game ( 2 × 30 min halves = 60 minutes) and be selected at least once in the run on XV.
23 players per squad with at least 2 players nominated who can play in each of the positions of loose head prop, hooker & tight head prop. And at least 3 players who can play lock.

A team can substitute up to 3 front rowers and up to 5 other players as well as replacing any injured players during a game.

4 points for a win
2 points for a draw
1 point for a loss by 7 points or less.
0 points for a loss by more than 7 points.
1 point for scoring 4 or more tries.

There are other Rules concerning teams drawn on points before the final day.

In the case of a drawn match on the final day the 2 teams will be declared equal winners.

No idea about which reserve bench is named first but it was a popular theory in 2016 that the NSW2 bench was named first.
The 1 teams are at a disadvantage,

Your reserve Hooker is actually the 4th choice. The 2 team takes the 2nd and 3rd choice.

It would be the same for all positions. But set piece is so critical. You have the best Hooker who never misses a throw and always hooks the ball in the scrum. And is as good as a 7 around the field.

He gets injured or subbed off and you get not next best. Or second next best. You get 4th.

Set piece and general play is going to drop. That is going to effect the performance of the team.

Same would apply for most positions. The 1 10 is a world beater destined for the Wallabies, the reserve is a fine Schoolboy utility back but not in the same league.

All the reserves must be given a full game. So every sub is critical.

S

sidelineview

The 1 teams can be seen to be at a disadvantage when you look at it like that, but:

The reserves must play 2 x 30 minute halves over 3 games (6 x 30 minutes halves), starting in at least one game.
It's a bit of a juggling act for the Coaches; they need to try to have their best team play the strongest teams in their Pool, but the strength of the other teams is unknown earlier in the week. If they have to play a strong team in their 3rd game with their reserve players or weakest team to fulfill requirement they can be caught with their pants down.

The selectors dont always get it right. Some players perform above expectations; other below par.
Sometimes there's a split hair between the top 4 players in a position, or the CS players perform better.
Some teams click better than others over the 2 week period of time and lift every time they play; others disappoint.
It's all a bit unpredictable which adds to the appeal of the competition.

Statistics dont support the theory that 1 teams are at a disadvantage.
NSW1 have won 20 Gold medals and 13 Silvers since 1975.
Qld1 have won 14 Golds and 11 Silvers
ACT - 4 & 8
NSW2 - 3 & 7
Qld2 - 2 & 1
CS - 0 & 1

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seems no-one actually knows how the reserves are allocated.

If the process has changed in recent years, may explain why NSW II and QLD II recent success