• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Cindergarten? ;)

Cyclo,

I am ok to leave this site for good, you jumped on me last year with a 2 week ban, and I still don't know why.
I said nothing disrespectful to anyone and receive no explanation, not good enough.

Transparency is important please, not just cryptic one way judgements from 1 person.

If your position is to come over the top and be the judge then you should jump on these people, eg CNorth before others.

This needs to change, trust you can change too so we can stop idiots and conduct an enjoyable environment.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Bans are usually for transgressing the rules of the schoolboy forum, which are widely documented, and more rigid than elsewhere. Can't see that you ever had a ban issued by me, unless it was under another alias?
People posting nonsense is not necessarily a banning offence. Otherwise the Schoolboy section would just be closed.
Do you want a Privy Council to decide all matters? I'm not sure you get how a privately owned forum works - it is at the discretion of the owner, and is not a democracy. If that's too hard to deal with, well, so be it.
You'd be better off raising this via a PM, but since you aired it here.........

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
From what I gather, the pre-season/trial season/whatever name people want to give, it has schools in two broad groups. Based on the Newington draw, the following schools are in one of the groups and will play each other in trials. I presume that schools not mentioned below are in the other group and will play each other before the respective associations start their seasons. Can anyone confirm this or have different information?

Oakhill
Scots
St Augs/St Pius
Waverley/High
Trinity
Riverview
Newington

*teams shown on the one line operate as one school for the purpose of the draw

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
From what I gather, the pre-season/trial season/whatever name people want to give, it has schools in two broad groups. Based on the Newington draw, the following schools are in one of the groups and will play each other in trials. I presume that schools not mentioned below are in the other group and will play each other before the respective associations start their seasons. Can anyone confirm this or have different information?

Oakhill
Scots
St Augs/St Pius
Waverley/High
Trinity
Riverview
Newington

QH,
Not sure if this helps but it could be a little different than your grouping.

Waves play:

Shore, View, Auggies, Scots, New and then Shore again.

And I know Knox and Barker will also play many of these teams, including Stannies.

Perhaps someone else can clarify.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH,
Not sure if this helps but it could be a little different than your grouping.

Waves play:

Shore, View, Auggies, Scots, New and then Shore again.

And I know Knox and Barker will also play many of these teams, including Stannies.

Perhaps someone else can clarify.

Thanks for that. Seems odd that Shore would want to play Waverley twice. Maybe there are no real groups but just a sequence of inter-association trials.

I think it's a pity that New won't play Knox this year - was a great day last year all through the age groups.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks for that. Seems odd that Shore would want to play Waverley twice. Maybe there are no real groups but just a sequence of inter-association trials.

I think it's a pity that New won't play Knox this year - was a great day last year all through the age groups.

Agree re playing someone twice but I did ask the same question recently at a school rugby meeting and the answer was simple,
Logistics, ie matching schools with similar team numbers.

I guess New v Knox was just a case of perhaps playing someone different each year, or they just didn't match up at the same time in relation to both schools entire trials season, whatever.
Waverley don't play Joeys or Kings but do play Scots and Auggies.

I also think it's hard for Kings and Joeys because they have so many teams that hardly anyone can match them game for game.

Maybe by introducing Auggies and Stannies there are more options for everyone.

I am also glad that both these schools are in the mix given their usual strength, makes it very interesting imo.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)

Oakhill
Scots
St Augs/St Pius
Waverley/High
Trinity
Riverview
Newington

I think it's fairly random Quickhands.
Scots play 6 trial games against:

Stannies HOME
Newington AWAY
Waverley HOME
St Augustines AWAY
Kings HOME
Joeys AWAY

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
High have overhauled their coaching staff and have a stronger than average cohort of Year 11s and 12s coming through this season into the opens. I believe these age groups have frequently beaten their Grammar and TAS opponents over the years.

Optimistic, but still, am only expecting a couple of wins here and there at best this season.

I SO hope that High will have a stronger team! Now as we small band of brothers who support the third com as the only fully GPS rep comp, do you know who High and Grammar are playing in the pre-season?

John Thick

Frank Row (1)
I SO hope that High will have a stronger team! Now as we small band of brothers who support the third com as the only fully GPS rep comp, do you know who High and Grammar are playing in the pre-season?

Who wouldn't? Always interesting to see rugby schools like high/ grammar challenge some of the other GPS 3rd XV. Not sure who they are playing pre season but hoping for some good match ups!

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Alright Gents, I believe this is the trial programme for TAS, High and Grammar

24 Mar: Sydney Grammar Tens Tournament
7 Apr: Grammar V St Pats, rest internals
5 May: Grammar V St Aloysius, High V Riverview, TAS V Kinross Wolaroi
12 May: TAS V Grammar, High V St Pius
19 May: Grammar V St Gregs, TAS V Cranbrook, High V Scots
26 May: Grammar V Cranbrook, High V Newington, TAS V St Gregs
2 Jun: Round 1 for 3rd Grade

If I have mucked up any please let me know and I will update

http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/winter-sports/rugby/upcoming-fixtures/

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)

Thanks, AS. Very helpful. That strikes me as a broad enough range this year to allow the boys to develop and give us a feel for relative strengths,

Ya Boy

Frank Row (1)
To update on fixtures, I know Augustines play Joeys and Waverley away as well as Scots and Newington at Home.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
To my CAS rugby followers.

I am looking for writers for the respective trial games and Henry Plume Shield games for each of the schools for Green and Gold. Ideally having a writer per school is good with each designated writer getting a weekend off on their respective schools away game. (the home school school writer writes the report).

If you are interested in assisting in this task please send me a private note on GnG.

For those who are unawares I am a Barker writer.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I am reliably informed that Rich E is taking a break from publishing this year so the GPS fans should try and co ordinate their game reports.

It does take some time and effort to do (as it is voluntary) but many schoolboy rugby fans appreciate the effort so get the word out there and round up your writers.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
I am reliably informed that Rich E is taking a break from publishing this year so the GPS fans should try and co ordinate their game reports.

It does take some time and effort to do (as it is voluntary) but many schoolboy rugby fans appreciate the effort so get the word out there and round up your writers.

Thanks Rod.

Yeah. That's correct. I am taking a break from publishing this season, due to family and work commitments.

I am, however, going to do what I can to ensure the much-valued match reports can continue this season.

If anyone is keen to write reports for GPS (or CAS or ISA) games please send my a private message/convo and I will add you to a writers group, which I will set up for covering the GPS/CAS/ISA trial matches.

Cheers

Rich_E

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Only thing to add AS, would be to clarify that High will be playing against the same school that play Waverley so High will be playing lower grade/lower age group teams and not in for mismatches.

I_Snap_Oars_For_A_Living

Bob McCowan (2)
Hey all,
From my early school rugby team investigations i have found some intriguing observations. I was at Shore's Northbridge playing fields on Tuesday and what i found was truly horrific. It seems that the boys have formed a social's 4ths team which has an overall squad weight 150kg heavier than that of the 1st. From the earliest sessions at Northbridge it seems that skill is no longer a factor in selection. Rather, under the eye of a new MIC of rugby it seems that are trials are solely based off the scale, which from speaking to the coach of the 4ths, sets his minimum weight at 90kg for each back and 95kg for each forward member. If true this could sure be an interesting season.
Can anyone confirm or deny this news.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Hey all,
From my early school rugby team investigations i have found some intriguing observations. I was at Shore's Northbridge playing fields on Tuesday and what i found was truly horrific. It seems that the boys have formed a social's 4ths team which has an overall squad weight 150kg heavier than that of the 1st. From the earliest sessions at Northbridge it seems that skill is no longer a factor in selection. Rather, under the eye of a new MIC of rugby it seems that are trials are solely based off the scale, which from speaking to the coach of the 4ths, sets his minimum weight at 90kg for each back and 95kg for each forward member. If true this could sure be an interesting season.
Can anyone confirm or deny this news.
Definitely untrue as the thirds and fourths for Shore are currently training together as a squad and there is no “4ths team” as of yet. Not sure who you were talking to but very doubtful it was the coach.