• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wristy, I thought Kings were contenders too . however they didn't put away Auggies ?!

Now I know Auggies has like a thousand kids called Hopoate, and Pappa & Hutch are still there (?) ...but Kings should have won with game-breaker Sualli?

What happened were Kings full strength? Or did Hopoate vii defend Sualli? There uisn't ever much mail out of Parramatta.

Joker ... only you have faith in the good Doctor and the Dark Star ... then again Michael Brial's son would pack a bit of punch. Not sure I have seen him play.

Recently saw a clip of what Bunce did to M Brial in a Tahs game ... in lead up to Bledisloe... so Brialy was well within his rights to punch-on IMHO. Don't think he ever played a test after that?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joker . only you have faith in the good Doctor and the Dark Star . then again Michael Brial's son would pack a bit of punch. Not sure I have seen him play.

I have learned in the past decade that you never, ever discount the Eastern Empire. Even more so, since Lord Lambert controls the purse strings still. Darkness stirs in the lands beyond the bridge

fca4c80e46372a009cb726b8a19adf19.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wristy, I thought Kings were contenders too . however they didn't put away Auggies ?!

Now I know Auggies has like a thousand kids called Hopoate, and Pappa & Hutch are still there (?) .

Hutch now Principal of Marist Canberra and Pappa has been sidelined by the new Principal at Augs.

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Very true Joker. High should of beaten Scots if not for a virus that run through their side that week. They were all over Scots for most of the game and tired towards the end. That and an epic 13 man pushover try from the line out with 5 mins from Scots shattered their dreams for a premiership they will not see until they can work their way back into the comp.

Might only be upstaged by the 5 new faces at HH this year in year 10 plus the anomalies in the current opens ........

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Might only be upstaged by the 5 new faces at HH this year in year 10 plus the anomalies in the current opens ....

My son tells me that only one new face has impressed and is in the 2nds. Very fast kid. The remainder are in the A's, B's and even one in the D's he thinks. I will ask him to confirm. The 15's age group was quite strong in 2018. The 14's though were the weakest and will struggle again. The 15A's though in 2019 do have some fresh faces as Year 9 is a big intake year. Normally 20 new boys turn up.

At Joeys they have an unusual entry into the school. Normally in year 7 they start with about 130-150 kids. Then over the years there are those who turn up each year with year 9/10 and year 11 being the years the largest number of kids turn up. When my eldest was in year 10 there were over 200 kids and eventually 220 in year 12. Many schools maintain steady numbers across all year groups. I know that at some schools that over a six year cycle there maybe only up to 20 boys join the cohort. At Joeys you can see up to 70+ join over the cycle. In addition, BOYS LEAVE to go back to farms when families struggle or some leave to pursue trade options. My son lost his best mate at the end of year 10. He is now making $$$ as a 2nd year apprentice plumber.

Why?

Most boys who join later do so for a variety of reasons. The main one is that these boys have come from the bush and families can only afford $40k a year fees for a short while. This is why in year seven you see approx 30% boarders and 70% day students. By the time year 12 comes round the percentages almost switch entirely with only a smaller percentage now day boys. As well, the country/city split changes too with an even number of country boys in year 12 where when the cohort started it was city dominated. Finally, some families were not able to get entry into the school for years 7 or 8 as Joeys likes to cap numbers based on the space they have. This space is "dining rooms seating". Joeys could actually take over 1500 students tomorrow as they do have the classrooms to cope BUT the cap is based on the tradition that ALL students eat together at lunch. To an outsider there is little obvious difference between a boy from Barraba and a boy from Balmain.

Yes, there are some boys who turn up at Joeys with skills. Some are indeed athletes, some come in on Music and Drama scholarships, many though have nothing extraordinary other then a smile. Those on performing arts scholarships have to maintain a certain level of performance and commitment over the time they have the scholarship. This would be the same at other schools I presume. If they fall behind academically, they are supported for a time, but can be shown the door. Hard I know, but if the school is paying their way they must perform. I recall a boy at Joeys was on a Maths Scholarship. But, he also played 1st XV. While many thought he was there to play rugby it turned out he was brilliant at Maths and did very well in the HSC. He never went on to play club rugby but he now studies in the USA I am told.

I hope this has assisted many to understand the enrollment ethos at Joeys.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
At Joeys they have an unusual entry into the school. Normally in year 7 they start with about 130-150 kids. Then over the years there are those who turn up each year with year 9/10 and year 11 being the years the largest number of kids turn up. When my eldest was in year 10 there were over 200 kids and eventually 220 in year 12. Many schools maintain steady numbers across all year groups. I know that at some schools that over a six year cycle there maybe only up to 20 boys join the cohort. At Joeys you can see up to 70+ join over the cycle. In addition, BOYS LEAVE to go back to farms when families struggle or some leave to pursue trade options. My son lost his best mate at the end of year 10. He is now making $$$ as a 2nd year apprentice plumber.

Joker, you should write for the ALP....more spin than Shane Warne.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
My son tells me that only one new face has impressed and is in the 2nds. Very fast kid. The remainder are in the A's, B's and even one in the D's he thinks. I will ask him to confirm. The 15's age group was quite strong in 2018. The 14's though were the weakest and will struggle again. The 15A's though in 2019 do have some fresh faces as Year 9 is a big intake year. Normally 20 new boys turn up.

Why?

Most boys who join later do so for a variety of reasons. The main one is that these boys have come from the bush and families can only afford $40k a year fees for a short while. This is why in year seven you see approx 30% boarders and 70% day students. By the time year 12 comes round the percentages almost switch entirely with only a smaller percentage now day boys. As well, the country/city split changes too with an even number of country boys in year 12 where when the cohort started it was city dominated. Finally, some families were not able to get entry into the school for years 7 or 8 as Joeys likes to cap numbers based on the space they have. This space is "dining rooms seating". Joeys could actually take over 1500 students tomorrow as they do have the classrooms to cope BUT the cap is based on the tradition that ALL students eat together at lunch. To an outsider there is little obvious difference between a boy from Barraba and a boy from Balmain.

Yes, there are some boys who turn up at Joeys with skills. Some are indeed athletes, some come in on Music and Drama scholarships, many though have nothing extraordinary other then a smile. Those on performing arts scholarships have to maintain a certain level of performance and commitment over the time they have the scholarship. This would be the same at other schools I presume. If they fall behind academically, they are supported for a time, but can be shown the door. Hard I know, but if the school is paying their way they must perform. I recall a boy at Joeys was on a Maths Scholarship. But, he also played 1st XV. While many thought he was there to play rugby it turned out he was brilliant at Maths and did very well in the HSC. He never went on to play club rugby but he now studies in the USA I am told.

I hope this has assisted many to understand the enrollment ethos at Joeys.

That may all well be correct Joker, but what I think you need to appreciate is that at least some of those sort of circumstances apply to enrolments at other schools too. I've had these conversations with Joeys mates of mine when they are pointing out boys at other schools and when I say "but what about....." there reply is "Ah yes but....." followed by justifications. When I reply, "but how's that different", they're normally stuck for words.

For example, boarding at Newington doesn't start until Year 9 so country kids can't start until Year 9. There's also specific bursaries limited to students of Tupou College in Tonga which cover tuition and boarding for 3 years (10,11 and 12). I could go on, but I think you see where I'm coming from.:)

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

Thanks Jim, great to see TAS and Gregs having regular fixtures. Rugby team numbers might be small compared to other schools, but if such fixtures can prove to be popular them numbers could grow at both schools. Gregs is now very much a gentrified middle class school and as such we should expect the school to move more into Union fixtures. This is becoming more evident in its standing as the 7th ISA School.

RogerScots82

Stan Wickham (3)
Anyone from here heading down to Bellevue hill, Should be a great showdown Jack Mossman vs Kaeo weakes, Terrell Kalokalo Vs tolu (from Newington) and Siua wong Vs mack Fell. Im backing the Home side, the forward pack will be too strong for Newington to contain.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Anyone from here heading down to Bellevue hill, Should be a great showdown Jack Mossman vs Kaeo weakes, Terrell Kalokalo Vs tolu (from Newington) and Siua wong Vs mack Fell. Im backing the Home side, the forward pack will be too strong for Newington to contain.

Your most likely to be right, the Newington pack is still developing as a unit. But the experience this Saturday will benefical against a quality side. Sometimes as Mr Brad Gill (Former Newington Coach) told me " You have to lose one, in order to win one at a later date. So the question is "how much will the New Pack Develop" from the experience. A heavy lost against Scots will indicate a lot more work needs to be done. A narrow lost and Newington will gain confidence for the GPS round. Either way New should be a better team for the game, as Scots will serve as an excellent benchmark for the standard required, in order to mix it with Joeys, Kings and of course Scots later.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)

Match of the round. Might have to forgo the "Rower" at Hunters Hill and make my way to Bellevue (via the Plumer Road chicken shop....damn good burgers!)

ChickenShop__Burger1_pexels-photo-70497.jpg

Notorious

Frank Row (1)

Now I know Auggies has like a thousand kids called Hopoate, and Pappa & Hutch are still there (?) .but Kings should have won with game-breaker Sualli?

What happened were Kings full strength? Or did Hopoate vii defend Sualli? There uisn't ever much mail out of Parramatta.

Joker . only you have faith in the good Doctor and the Dark Star . then again Michael Brial's son would pack a bit of punch. Not sure I have seen him play.

Recently saw a clip of what Bunce did to M Brial in a Tahs game . in lead up to Bledisloe. so Brialy was well within his rights to punch-on IMHO. Don't think he ever played a test after that?

King's played a 1 sided game full of mistakes. But they did not have the aid of schoolboy prodigy Joseph Sua'ali'i. Star Player John Connolly also did not have much game time after receiving a serious head knock early in the first half. Playmaking centre William Penisini was also away on Rugby league duty. Many of King's 4ths & 5th players from last year had to fill the gap of players on leave. Captain Blake Males (u18 GenBlue) was considered man of the match after a captivating performance leading the team. While the result did not reflect the true nature of the game, King's will be looking to regain their team's structure and will be back in action again this weekend against Stannies on the prestigious JS White Oval.

- New to the game, be kind x

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
King's will be looking to regain their team's structure and will be back in action again this weekend against Stannies on the prestigious JS White Oval.

Notorious, Great first up contribution .... Scots team as per last weeks prog ..

N Wiggan
H Moore
D Botha
S King
S Hutchings
T Aveyard
D Clifton
T Bedingfield
C Adams
H Savala
B Zucchiatti
J Wong
T Kalokalo
J Mossman

be interested to see if any changes for this week .... versus Newington. Should be a good pre season game.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Notorious, Great first up contribution .. Scots team as per last weeks prog ..

N Wiggan
H Moore
D Botha
S King
S Hutchings
T Aveyard
D Clifton
T Bedingfield
C Adams
H Savala
B Zucchiatti
J Wong
T Kalokalo
J Mossman

be interested to see if any changes for this week .. versus Newington. Should be a good pre season game.

Will you be there SDW at Mordor? I am down for BBQ duty this weekend at HH. I was "volunteered"
I wont be able to report as much as I could from the Joeys/Knox fixture.

In the meantime......mmmmm BBQ!

13547668-big-meat-bbq-with-sausages-and-ribs.jpg

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Match of the round. Might have to forgo the "Rower" at Hunters Hill and make my way to Bellevue (via the Plumer Road chicken shop..damn good burgers!)

ChickenShop__Burger1_pexels-photo-70497.jpg

Have to disagree with you there Joker. Plumer road was the king in the 90s but has slid down the pole over the last two decades. For Eastern Suburbs locals it is all about Little L's in the chicken burger works and butchers grill for the beef burger......both only a 6.3 min drive from the Blue & Gold college.

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
King's played a 1 sided game full of mistakes. But they did not have the aid of schoolboy prodigy Joseph Sua'ali'i. Star Player John Connolly also did not have much game time after receiving a serious head knock early in the first half. Playmaking centre William Penisini was also away on Rugby league duty. Many of King's 4ths & 5th players from last year had to fill the gap of players on leave. Captain Blake Males (u18 GenBlue) was considered man of the match after a captivating performance leading the team. While the result did not reflect the true nature of the game, King's will be looking to regain their team's structure and will be back in action again this weekend against Stannies on the prestigious JS White Oval.

i was at the game, Auggies had 5 changes as well. 2 were playing in the SCG ball side with Weeks(New) , Ala (Aust schools 2018) out with a sore back, Gallacher injured shoulder back this week and the fly half Bamford, did his knee and out for the season on the saturday previous. His older brother also played with a dodgy shoulder an couldn't wee out the first half. I think it would have bee great with both sides at full strength but the Saints boys would have likely got the win. FYI - Brandy Alexanders kid played fly half and was solid and Daniel Gartner's son played fullback and read the game well. Both year 11 plus a number of 2nds replacements for Auggies, which is like the 3rds/ 4ths at kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.