• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
Could you please stop taking the mickey on this page. Obviously someone from the 4th 15 couldn't make the GPS team. Are you out of your mind?

Gentlemen. We are talking schoolboys here, are we not? The boys in the first XV are drilled to near perfection solely for this occasion, lets not beat-around-the-bush and suggest players that are well far behind the leading pack.

TDO.

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
Big jump Black and White , you need 3-4 stars to do well in Firsts.

That Joeys team has 2-3 that are firsts players , lets put in in perspective they played a third grade team.

Lets see if they put 50 on the rest of the field.

JoeysRule

Frank Row (1)
View looked really solid on the weekend. Their 15 could be inline for a spot in GPS 2's. Was all over Connolly on the weekend. My cousin who is a teacher at kings said that Connolly has not been at his best all year, perhaps the result of a few early season concussions.

My friends sister goes to Kings and she said the same thing, apparently connolly has had girlfriend troubles during the offseason, must have carried through to the inseason.

BigDaddy

Frank Row (1)
Big Daddy - shore looked all over the place on the weekend. Would bet my house for another wooden spoon to be sitting at Northbridge by seasons end. They just cant compete with the softies at shore playing soccer

Thanks you for your informative insights. Your opinions certainly echoes my thoughts...

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
View and Joeys do not offer scholarships this is because they believe its against the catholic morals Although there is a strong breeding ground for father and son and family ties and has been the case for many previous decades before us This has been also a strong program to produce Special and talented rugby players. Scots,Kings and Newington all place values on getting in special players through a so called scholarship program But only to benefit The sports They play I believe this makes the competition unfair and only benifits the schools who offer these programs any thoughts on this ??
So Kurtley Beale was a full fee paying student?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Weekend looms as do the clouds of rain on the horizon. A wet track will make some changes to the style and structure of play and were it is played as well. Many a GPS oval becomes an ice rink in the rain, none more so than the Bellevue Hill Ice Palace with the centre square notorious for poor footing. At least the wingers will have clean jumpers. Lets see what lays in wait for this weekend.

Joeys v Shore.
To the credit of their Northern barbarian cousins, the Shoremen held their ground for 35 minutes against the more powerful armies of the Dark Lord Lambert at the wind swept highlands of Stirling Bridge. While the pies were indeed of their usual high quality (thanks Rob for the confirmation) it was the muscle found on the field that took the Scots lads by surprise. The Shore players held their ground and even scored a couple of blows. This week though they will find themselves in a new game where the opposition just doesn't stop running. On the firm and sure footing of Hunters Hill, the impeding rain will have little impact on the cerise and blue style. Joeys are not going to put teams away earlier, but will slowly build over the game and will not relent till the final whistle. Newington had the ball, the position and the momentum, but that all lasted for 50 minutes, then Joeys went to work. This season has taught the cerise and blue faithful that victory does not come without sacrifice and fitness is key. This weekend Shore will again do an incredible job, but like Wiley Coyote, Joeys will speed away after Shore got close. Joeys by 30+

AdolescentGrimCassowary-max-1mb.gif

Scots v Riverview
Indeed the match of the round. Scots armies have worked hard after they were given a blooded nose by Joeys. The forwards are not an issue but it is the back line. They are like a cheap watch that does not tick consistently. Scots have plenty of size but do they again have the nous to handle a Riverview side brimming with confidence after upsetting the imperial beasts of Parramatta. As stated many times before, Riverview loves the underdog status, even though their student car park is similar in style and late model range to the ones at Bellevue. Riverview do though have plenty of speed in the backs and they will be keen to exploit the defensive frailties that Joeys exposed of Scots earlier. Scots at home though is key, BUT the weather does play a role. If the Main Oval turns into the bog of Belleuve as it has a tendency to do, then I would favor Scots. It will not be pretty like the Scots mums who serve afternoon tea, but this may become a forwards game which Scots will play this weekend if the heavens open. They should better this time in the wet than they last did when facing the Rohan XV at the Helms Deep field. If the field is dry, the wolves of Lane Cove will prevail. Should be a cracker. BTW....what recommendations are their BBQ?

33vhb0.jpg

Kings v Newington
The battle of the heavy weights. Kings will be smarting after the loss to View. They were expected to win as was dictated to them by the Divine Right of our Lord when he reached down from heaven in 1831 and touched the ground at Parramatta and said, "bring forth my greatest creations here". Well that is what I heard anyway. Newington will be equally annoyed with the result last weekend, even more so that the famous Big Newie ran out, just like their their team did late in the game. Both will be keen not to lose, as two wins will see the end of their GPS chances. Kings will I am sure bring out the big guns for this weekend Does anyone know if the Rolls Royce of backs is back for this weekend? Even if he is, I feel Newington though will have their measure. Price Oval will not be an issue after they turned this once former dam into a splendid playing surface. If the Newington backs can get up in the face of Kings and put them off then I feel Newington may have a chance in this one. In thee end Kings desire to put things right in the Universe will be the tipping point. Kings by 6

33virr.jpg

T

thedirtysanchez

View vs Scots in the 4th 15 shaping up to be an incredible contest. Both coming off great wins from last weekend and view supporting a colossal forward pack and agile backs they will be a force to reckoned with for scots.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Having captained the first XV at St Josephs in my day, I am disapointed with the way its going. I remember the days when it was the hardest 15 men in the school, going toe to toe with the rest of the GPS. But watching the game against the Newington game, and seeing 15 girls running around the field, I was utterly disapointed.

I cant see Joeys winning much this year, neither with scots #cantbuyapremiership.

Thoughts????

Hello JoeysRule

First as a Newington supporter, what I saw was an excellent game of Rugby between two excellent teams. Rugby in this day and age has less to do with physical brutality and intimidation. Rather, skills are a required premium for success. In this regard Joeys have such skills in abundance. The fact that Joeys contained the Newington attack, through their cover defence not only is a testimony to such skills, but also that this side is a Rugby smart team.Additionally, they are superbly coached and I was particularly impressed how their defensive style ensured that Newington's Winger,Tolu Koula, arguably one of if not the fastest player in the GPS Rugby this year, was picked up by the Joeys defence . Against, a lesser side he would have bagged any number of tries.

It has now been revealed that the Joeys game plan against Newington, involved the choosing of a highly mobile pack that was more like a pack of breakaways, designed to out last the New Pack. It would appear, that these tactics were highly effective in the last 15 minutes of the game. Despite the carding of a New Player, that for me was a crucial factor in the 21 unanswered points gained by Joeys. Nevertheless, irrespective of the carding, Joeys were in the ascendency and had the momentum. They would have won, although not necessarily by the margin they obtained.

The sort of Joeys team of "Hard Men" you speak of is truly a thing of the past. Even, then it had its limitations. In 1975 Joeys fielded a pack you have described. They had 3 Australian Schoolboys and they were the hardest, meanest and most ruthless pack that Newington encountered in 1975. It included Steve Williams and Bruce Malouf amongst others. Yet, It didn't win them the premiership that year, as View and Scots had teams with excellent backlines and both schools beat Joeys rather well. If memory serves me correctly, Scots Won 18-6 over Joeys. Even, worse Randwick Boys High ran all over Joeys to the tune of 28-0 in a preseason match. If it's any comfort, Joeysrule, that Randwick side relied on a skilled and paced backline that won the Waratah Shield in 1975. They also beat Newington 20-3, Cranbrook 47-12 and Matraville High in the final of the shield, with the three Ella Brothers 11-7 in the team.(But lost the next week, to Matraville in the Phillips Zone Final 30-16).

So brute force is a thing of past, neither the All Blacks or the Springbox rely on this any more. Instead, the All Blacks abound with skilled players.Likewise, Newington are now moving away from their power game based on big Pacific Islanders to a running Rugby Style.If nothing else its more enjoyable to watch.

Finally, good leadership requires a Team Captain to respect, his players and opponents. Calling them Girls might sound Macho, but take it from an Ex Australian Army Soldier in the Reserves as well a former Officer. It won't earn you any respect ,whatsoever, in fact the complete opposite will occur.

I teach leadership as part of a pastoral care programs, when teaching at schools. What I Teach is inspired leadership, whereupon, the leader connects, inspires, respects and motivates those around him to perform greater efforts, than they would normally achieve.

Read Shakespeare's Henry V and the St. Crispin's Day speech and how young Harry, King of England inspires his troops to perform an outstandinglyeffort, at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415.

"We brave few, we happy few, we band of Brothers and he who sheds his blood this day wth me, shall forever be my brother".

( My apologies to any purists of the writings of William Shakespear, if I got words out of order. I am doing it from memory and I don't claim to be Kennth Brangh or Laurence Oliveira)Again, my apologies for my spellings as I haven't check the spelling of their names.

So, Joeysrule, any future analysis of Joeys or other GPS Schools should include a modern day appreciation of School Boy Rugby and what constitutes effective leadership that doesn't degenerate your old school and boys playing the game. Those Macho days are long gone.

My apologies if I have been blunt, but I suspect you and I were running around playing schoolboy Rugby with years of each other. Certainly, the mentally you speak of was well established back them. But times have changed.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Personally, this works for me....
It sums up what Joeys Rugby was always about.
To paraphrase...

At Joeys, we fight for that possession
At Joeys we tear ourselves, and everyone around us
to pieces for that possession.
We CLAW with our finger nails for that possession.
Cause we know
when we add up all that possession
that's going to make the bloody difference
between WINNING and LOSING
between LIVING and DYING.

Status
Not open for further replies.