• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
That is quite a team.
Anything less than outright victory next year would be hugely disappointing for the Joeys faithful.
Newington and Kings seem to be touted as the biggest threats to Joeys dominance.
Back to being underdogs for those in gold from Bellevue Hill.
I just hope we can keep the weekly margins to less than 50.;)
Remind me again of when the mercy rule kicks in.....

Don't write off Scots as yet. The production line will be cranked up again soon when the crop of the 2019 team is identified.
Then they will start the program which includes a summer season of hit and giggle cricket in the 5th XI.
The Scots program is the longest in the competition with boys training from term IV I am informed.
My issue is with the boys mental ability to withstand such long term training and how their growing frames cope with the extra weight and stress put up them by the "extra malt" added to their milk.

No mercy rule in the GPS 1st XV. When Scots destroyed Newington by 100+ it brought the spotlight onto the program. While Newington were shamed by the result it also embarrassed Scots I feel as it made them out to be ruthless killing machines.
Did you notice this season that Scots throttled back in games after the first half? They had the ability to put 100 on schools but chose to ease back. As well it sensibly gave those players with niggles a chance to heal while allowing the 2nds some run time in the 1st's.

Maybe this easing back back-fired as the team didn't learn to be as ruthless as they needed to be late in a game. They had Joeys down, beaten well in the second half and then seemed to relax and Joeys fought back. It was then difficult for them to restart the machine after most of its systems had shut down. Will we see this as the Scots model for 2019? Ruthless, unstoppable machines?

Terminator-army.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
"Shore father. Even they can't work out why they can't win"

Oh yes they can. But there's another thread for that answer.

Oh that the answer to their problems were that simple. If you're using that as your reason, then with respect, you're finding a convenient excuse and clinging to it for grim death.

I note that in 13s this year that Shore went to 13E in rugby and 13G in soccer. Signficantly different from the older age groups where there are more rugby teams. A look across a selection of sports sees a pattern, to which rowing seems the only exception.

A look at results from 11 August

Rugby v Riverview and High

Out of 17 rugby games against Riverview, Shore won 5: 16D, 15B, 15D, 15E and 14A

Out of 7 rugby games against High, Shore won 4: 3rds, 8ths, 15C and 14B

Soccer v Grammar

Out of 25 soccer games against Grammar, Shore won 4: 1sts, 2nds. 13B and 13F

In Aussie Rule the Shore Year7/8 team lost by 78 points to Riverview

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joker that is too funny!!

Re shore.... joker could you share a picture of that Bunnings ad... it has 2 blokes... the harder version of oneself

So rather than shore cling to the reason that one shall not mention

I will throw it out there that maybe they just need to “harden the #### up”

Otherwise they can join the academic rugby group ... Sydney grammar, Sydney high, et al

Which is fine

Altgh I reckon cranbrook and aloys are doing a better job of showing you can get a good Atar and still have a bit of backbone

Don’t shoot the messenger

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Joker that is too funny!!

Re shore.. joker could you share a picture of that Bunnings ad. it has 2 blokes. the harder version of oneself

So rather than shore cling to the reason that one shall not mention

I will throw it out there that maybe they just need to “harden the #### up”

Otherwise they can join the academic rugby group . Sydney grammar, Sydney high, et al

Which is fine

Altgh I reckon cranbrook and aloys are doing a better job of showing you can get a good Atar and still have a bit of backbone

Don’t shoot the messenger
Don’t understand the bit about Cranbrook and Aloys doing a better job showing you can get a good ATAR and still have a bit of backbone when Shore have beaten both schools consistently over the last four years. In every GPS comp game, except perhaps the game against King’s, Shore exhibited “backbone” as Wristman, Joker etc. pointed out when they saw them play. Definitely problems with Shore Rugby, pretty unfair to the boys to say it’s their “attitude” or “backbone” that is leading the losses imo.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Don’t understand the bit about Cranbrook and Aloys doing a better job showing you can get a good ATAR and still have a bit of backbone when Shore have beaten both schools consistently over the last four years.

Up the guts ... I am just trying to bait you. Re the Shore boys they are definitely OK ... and have plenty of backbone.

I will however recount a story from a few evenings ago ... I was out with a Shore father ... and his wife called 4 times ... yes we were out at the pub for a SNEAKY post-work beverage.

In any event, this bloke kept running out of the pub to take the wife's calls ....WTF.

What a pussy ... I think his wife is buying the power tools ... and Bunnings is not a store he frequents anymore ;)

Reminds me of a good joke ... but I will leave the jokes to the Joker ... he is the king!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
UPDATE on Premiership records

The benefit of having the shield back "home" is that it allows for examination against the results I used to produce the updated GPS premiership record. With the help of others there have been some changes and these are noted in version 6.

In addition, I have agreed to take the Australian Schoolboys out of the document as the numbers sourced from the Schoolboys website include players who played in Australian Schoolboy "B" or Barbarian teams. I am informed that at St Joseph's College the tradition is to only record those who have played in the very top team. For the record, St Joseph's has had 92 boys play in the Australian Schoolboys XV.

Attachments

• GPS Rugby Premiership History 1892 onwards.006.pdf
    306.2 KB · Views: 552

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Don't write off Scots as yet. The production line will be cranked up again soon when the crop of the 2019 team is identified.
Then they will start the program which includes a summer season of hit and giggle cricket in the 5th XI.
The Scots program is the longest in the competition with boys training from term IV I am informed.
My issue is with the boys mental ability to withstand such long term training and how their growing frames cope with the extra weight and stress put up them by the "extra malt" added to their milk.

No mercy rule in the GPS 1st XV. When Scots destroyed Newington by 100+ it brought the spotlight onto the program. While Newington were shamed by the result it also embarrassed Scots I feel as it made them out to be ruthless killing machines.
Did you notice this season that Scots throttled back in games after the first half? They had the ability to put 100 on schools but chose to ease back. As well it sensibly gave those players with niggles a chance to heal while allowing the 2nds some run time in the 1st's.

Maybe this easing back back-fired as the team didn't learn to be as ruthless as they needed to be late in a game. They had Joeys down, beaten well in the second half and then seemed to relax and Joeys fought back. It was then difficult for them to restart the machine after most of its systems had shut down. Will we see this as the Scots model for 2019? Ruthless, unstoppable machines?

Terminator-army.jpg

Good points Joker. I had a chat to one of the Scots coaches yesterday and he was full of praise for Kings and Joeys, noting they will be the strongest sides at this early stage. He also agreed that the rep footy took its toll but then was quick to add that it worked in Scots’s favour in year past.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

The benefit of having the shield back "home" is that it allows for examination against the results I used to produce the updated GPS premiership record. With the help of others there have been some changes and these are noted in version 6.

In addition, I have agreed to take the Australian Schoolboys out of the document as the numbers sourced from the Schoolboys website include players who played in Australian Schoolboy "B" or Barbarian teams. I am informed that at St Joseph's College the tradition is to only record those who have played in the very top team. For the record, St Joseph's has had 92 boys play in the Australian Schoolboys XV.

Although I hear that the shield is currently in residence at North Parramatta - and probably well guarded by a detachment of the Kings Cadet Corps.

In formation to repel the Joeys hordes.

714887648_780x439.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Even after 50 years in the wilderness, Grammar are still 3rd.

Come on Dr Malpass, get the school back into sport - you owe it to your forebears and the boys still to enrol.

No excuses, get it done.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Sydney Boys High 1993.
Their last great team.

main.php

Back row: B McKay, L Mann, C Allardice, J Jones-Hughes, S Makhoul, L Mussett, B Tyrrell
Second row: E Jones, M McKay, G Cummins, B Smailes, R Sheriff, G de Merindol
Front row: C Murray, M Stcherbina (Vice Captain), A M Hannon Esq (Coach), S Taumoepeau (Captain), R J Stratford Esq (Principal), D Shaw, B Smith

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Even after 50 years in the wilderness, Grammar are still 3rd.

Come on Dr Malpass, get the school back into sport - you owe it to your forebears and the boys still to enrol.

No excuses, get it done.

I had heard that Malpass was pushing strongly to improve the school's rugby programme.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sydney Boys High 1993.
Their last great team.

main.php

Back row: B McKay, L Mann, C Allardice, J Jones-Hughes, S Makhoul, L Mussett, B Tyrrell
Second row: E Jones, M McKay, G Cummins, B Smailes, R Sheriff, G de Merindol
Front row: C Murray, M Stcherbina (Vice Captain), A M Hannon Esq (Coach), S Taumoepeau (Captain), R J Stratford Esq (Principal), D Shaw, B Smith
Thank you for that wonderful trip down memory lane.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Don’t understand the bit about Cranbrook and Aloys doing a better job showing you can get a good ATAR and still have a bit of backbone when Shore have beaten both schools consistently over the last four years. In every GPS comp game, except perhaps the game against King’s, Shore exhibited “backbone” as Wristman, Joker etc. pointed out when they saw them play. Definitely problems with Shore Rugby, pretty unfair to the boys to say it’s their “attitude” or “backbone” that is leading the losses imo.

Shore certainly turned their season around after a few (3 I think) very big early-season losses. Kept scores respectable in the money rounds.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Oh that the answer to their problems were that simple. If you're using that as your reason, then with respect, you're finding a convenient excuse and clinging to it for grim death.
Yes, several factors are contributing to Shore's poor results. However, having the best players contributes most to a school's results.
Hypothetically, imagine Shore's 2018 losing team with just 3 elite players such as Moretti, Easy, and Chrichton. Suddenly a bunch of good schoolboy players become much more competitive.
However, the reality is that the headmaster doesn't allow such flights of fancy becoming reality.
At the moment.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes, several factors are contributing to Shore's poor results. However, having the best players contributes most to a school's results.
Hypothetically, imagine Shore's 2018 losing team with just 3 elite players such as Moretti, Easy, and Chrichton. Suddenly a bunch of good schoolboy players become much more competitive.
However, the reality is that the headmaster doesn't allow such flights of fancy becoming reality.
At the moment.

Surely though they could produce one or two from what is a traditional rugby demographic? There seem to be plenty of elite athletes in the rowing programme.

From the outside looking in, it appears that the whole approach to sport and the preparation of teams is where much of the answer lies.

It's not just rugby - look at the soccer results against Grammar that I posted where Shore won 4 games out of 25.

In watching the games last Saturday, I did notice a boy who represented ISA 16s rugby in 2017 playing for Shore 2nds.;)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
^^^
Shore did manage to turn down a player who made Australian Schoolboys this year when he tried to enter as a full fee paying student a few years ago. Ironically may have been the best thing to have happened to that boy’s rugby career.

Status
Not open for further replies.