• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
What an awesome shot! Sums up the 2018 season . Well done however captured it. If anyone knows, please share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thought you were more enlightened than that @QH.

Here's a thing, the pic below is the Shore Prep school 1st XV.

Just some ordinary kids playing ordinary kids at U12 level.

Their season consisting of 9 wins and 3 losses. Not too shabby. Perhaps they were coached well or just a good cohort.

Then they go into the senior school and the same ordinary kids have to play against the Extraordinary.

e2c2d9a70c06c9bcb6142f71d88a5bae.jpg

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Perhaps it may interest you to know that of the current Newington 14A team; 9 boys came from the two prep schools and the other 6 are all either sons of old boys or siblings.

The 13As have a similar makeup.

Not surprising since of the 220 places available in Year 7, 100 boys move from Wyvern and another 50 from Lindfield, with approximately another 50 going to sons/grandsons of old boys and siblings.

I could go on, but it would be pointless.

Five or ten years ago I would have agreed with your general premise, but I'm afraid I can't at the moment.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
On the night you won it I recall. Br Anthony made sure it got there on time for your function.

Although in fairness, Scots seem to have taken the 1sts Shield to North Parramatta on Saturday and given it to Kings after the game.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Perhaps it may interest you to know that of the current Newington 14A team; 9 boys came from the two prep schools and the other 6 are all either sons of old boys or siblings.

Not surprising since of the 220 places available in Year 7, 100 boys move from Wyvern and another 50 from Lindfield, with approximately another 50 going to sons/grandsons of old boys and siblings.

Five or ten years ago I would have agreed with your general premise, but I'm afraid I can't at the moment.

I see you don’t mention the 16A’s or the Opens in trying to make your point.....

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I see you don’t mention the 16A’s or the Opens in trying to make your point...

An open team which won two games this year and one game last year?

When I post things, I make comments about things of which I have some direct knowledge - hence using 13s and 14s.

If you want a full debate on this go over onto the other thread (where things have been quiet) don't hide over here where we have limitations on what can be said.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Nevertheless, It is utterly ridiculous that we expect Shore to be able to compete with schools that have 5 National representatives. Shore is just an ordinary school. The fact that they are part of the GPS shouldn't all of a sudden mean that the 15 top players in the school can go toe to toe with nearly full teams of state representatives. Too much is expected of them.

What's your explanation for losing 21 out of 25 soccer games to Grammar?

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

Hello Quick Hands
Those are fantastic figures to read about. As an Old Boy its great to see that our Rugby tradition is being primary enhanced by our Prep Schools and Old Boys. I have always accepted that soccer is very much part of the Newington's Multicultural ethos. But it should never undermine Rugby, as our traditional game for winter. So when I look at the results of our 13As and 14As, its wonderful to know where the talent is coming from for these two outstanding age groups. Particularly, the Prep schools as they appear to have stepped up and now serve as genuine feeders for the senior school. In the past I had the impression, that the prep schools, with regards to Rugby was one of apathy. Clearly this is not the case now.

On Newington's current school population size, I have heard that the school has plans to increase its numbers, one figure was 250 boys per year group and another is 300. That would make Newington, one of the larger GPS Schools. Apparently, Newington owns half the Real Estate in Stanmore, as such could fulfil these numbers. Further, I believe they are developing the funding to finance a bigger more populate Newington.

The obvious benefit to Rugby at Newington, will be more boys to the play the game. With increase playing numbers, comes depth. So Quick Hands, I am wondering if you have heard anything along the lines, as it appears that Newington is one school that is going places.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
one interesting thing I note in that Shore photo .... if every single child has a head gear

Clearly I am not ignorant as to the risks of concussion

However I was under the impression that the head gears are problematic ... providing a perception of safety, while the damage is done within the skull

What is the evidence to support their use?

I know my son flat refused to wear one.

And I wonder if such major use , reflects worries by Shore parents, as to the dangers

It is like the 911 effect ... fears of flying in the USA ... post Sept 11 ....saw a rise in car fatalities

so fear itself can create a heightened risk is my point

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
The obvious benefit to Rugby at Newington, will be more boys to the play the game. With increase playing numbers, comes depth. So Quick Hands, I am wondering if you have heard anything along the lines, as it appears that Newington is one school that is going places.

While that may to be seem so that more number mean more rugby teams, you must though remember that culture and current practice dictate where these extra lads play. In the late 1990's Trinity had an excellent rugby program as the Headmaster dictated that there will be only limited number of places for soccer teams. They kept a balance. Change in governance aand change in policy and Trinity rugby numbers plummeted. Soccer there is the number one code. In addition, Trinity aggressively expanded their numbers and more and more students came in with football backgrounds and continued to play as such.

In 2018 at Trinity

Prep has 6 Rugby teams and 11 Football teams
Senior has 16 Rugby teams and 29 Football teams.

More numbers does not mean more rugby players I'm afraid. Maybe in traditional rugby areas but not the inner west.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
one interesting thing I note in that Shore photo .. if every single child has a head gear

However I was under the impression that the head gears are problematic . providing a perception of safety, while the damage is done within the skull

And I wonder if such major use , reflects worries by Shore parents, as to the dangers

It is like the 911 effect . fears of flying in the USA . post Sept 11 ..saw a rise in car fatalities

There was a good recent discussion on the concussion thread all about this. Its all quite complex.

I would speculate that the school mandates the wearing of headgear for the prep school.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Personally I am of the opinion that a proper fitted mouth guard is far more important

Anyway u probably right ... discussion for elsewhere

Altgh I do note that by my head count ... in the joeys v view clash (recently)

You had about 5 joeys kids in stack-hats (as I like to call them)versus maybe 2 view

Just going by that pic ... where the touchie is deliberating with referee

And fair enough if prep school mandates it... just not convinced they do much

I do know there is a contingent of shore mothers very fearful

And particularly to bodysize differential certainly seen in club rugby

Reason I know a cousin of mine ... has her boy at shore, son plays for seaforth, she was full of concern when i last spoke to her

And given the size of her son I do understand

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
one interesting thing I note in that Shore photo .. if every single child has a head gear

However I was under the impression that the head gears are problematic . providing a perception of safety, while the damage is done within the skull

It is like the 911 effect . fears of flying in the USA . post Sept 11 ..saw a rise in car fatalities

A lot of the primary schools make it mandatory. It was at Newington Prep as well.

There's not evidence of any benefit re concussion, but prevents head wounds.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
And ignoring freak accidents ... I think too much fear is the last thing u need in a contact sport

Better coaching ... such that Winston Churchill quote holds true

Fear is a reaction, courage is a descision...

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
While that may to be seem so that more number mean more rugby teams, you must though remember that culture and current practice dictate where these extra lads play. In the late 1990's Trinity had an excellent rugby program as the Headmaster dictated that there will be only limited number of places for soccer teams. They kept a balance. Change in governance aand change in policy and Trinity rugby numbers plummeted. Soccer there is the number one code. In addition, Trinity aggressively expanded their numbers and more and more students came in with football backgrounds and continued to play as such.

In 2018 at Trinity

Prep has 6 Rugby teams and 11 Football teams
Senior has 16 Rugby teams and 29 Football teams.

More numbers does not mean more rugby players I'm afraid. Maybe in traditional rugby areas but not the inner west.

Hello Joker,Yes your right and Knox Grammar is another case in point to support your argument that numbers doesn't equate to more teams.But Newington is attracting more Rugby Playing boys. As QH points out our Prep Schools and the Old Boy Pipe line is strongly geared towards Rugby. I expect this trend will continue as Newington is running counter to this trend of increase in soccer numbers. Other schools (Kinross) are also experiencing this trend, but Newington more so.So I am rather hopeful that Newington will grow in both the quality and quantity of its Rugby Teams.

Mike Wazowski

Frank Nicholson (4)
What about the fowards Mike? Many back from 1s and 2s? I see there were a few u16s in Pres and NSW sides.

Kings Pack will be strong - Blake Males (2) will be returning from 1st XV, as well as a few boys who came on from the 2nds throughout this year. It will be exciting to see the potential of Kings next year.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
A lot of the primary schools make it mandatory. It was at Newington Prep as well.

There's not evidence of any benefit re concussion, but prevents head wounds.
Yep compulsory at Shore Prep as well. Think it began as a concussion precaution before a whole lot of reasearch was done into it but has been kept in place to stop head wounds (also hard to walk back “safety policies”).

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Personally I am of the opinion that a proper fitted mouth guard is far more important

Anyway u probably right . discussion for elsewhere

Altgh I do note that by my head count . in the joeys v view clash (recently)

You had about 5 joeys kids in stack-hats (as I like to call them)versus maybe 2 view

Just going by that pic . where the touchie is deliberating with referee

And fair enough if prep school mandates it. just not convinced they do much

I do know there is a contingent of shore mothers very fearful

And particularly to bodysize differential certainly seen in club rugby

Reason I know a cousin of mine . has her boy at shore, son plays for seaforth, she was full of concern when i last spoke to her

And given the size of her son I do understand
Yes I don’t think the boil and bite mouth guard really cuts it, particularly don’t understand it when all manner of orthodontic treatment is already being paid for.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I have often said View have the weirdest cheers.
Anyone want to explain what the one at 2.20 is all about?

Status
Not open for further replies.