• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
one interesting thing I note in that Shore photo .. if every single child has a head gear

Clearly I am not ignorant as to the risks of concussion

However I was under the impression that the head gears are problematic . providing a perception of safety, while the damage is done within the skull

What is the evidence to support their use?

I know my son flat refused to wear one.

And I wonder if such major use , reflects worries by Shore parents, as to the dangers

It is like the 911 effect . fears of flying in the USA . post Sept 11 ..saw a rise in car fatalities

so fear itself can create a heightened risk is my point
SDW. Headgear doesn't prevent concussions, but many players wear it to prevent cuts caused by stray boot studs etc. Props and hookers sometimes wear them to protect their ears from looking like a white, flowery vegetable.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
SDW. Headgear doesn't prevent concussions, but many players wear it to prevent cuts caused by stray boot studs etc. Props and hookers sometimes wear them to protect their ears from looking like a white, flowery vegetable.

Love my cauliflower

califlower-ears.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hello Quick Hands
Those are fantastic figures to read about. As an Old Boy its great to see that our Rugby tradition is being primary enhanced by our Prep Schools and Old Boys. I have always accepted that soccer is very much part of the Newington's Multicultural ethos. But it should never undermine Rugby, as our traditional game for winter. So when I look at the results of our 13As and 14As, its wonderful to know where the talent is coming from for these two outstanding age groups. Particularly, the Prep schools as they appear to have stepped up and now serve as genuine feeders for the senior school. In the past I had the impression, that the prep schools, with regards to Rugby was one of apathy. Clearly this is not the case now.

On Newington's current school population size, I have heard that the school has plans to increase its numbers, one figure was 250 boys per year group and another is 300. That would make Newington, one of the larger GPS Schools. Apparently, Newington owns half the Real Estate in Stanmore, as such could fulfil these numbers. Further, I believe they are developing the funding to finance a bigger more populate Newington.

The obvious benefit to Rugby at Newington, will be more boys to the play the game. With increase playing numbers, comes depth. So Quick Hands, I am wondering if you have heard anything along the lines, as it appears that Newington is one school that is going places.

I've heard no plans about increasing the size - that would be a matter for the new Headmaster. I'd heard that Dr Mulford wanted the numbers capped at 220 so that there was still a feeling that everyone knew each other in the year group.

Straight Through

Bob McCowan (2)
What's your explanation for losing 21 out of 25 soccer games to Grammar?

I'd like to begin by stating that Shore won the Soccer premiership in 2016 & 2015. The only explanation for them losing 21 out of 25 games is clearly because they were simply outmatched. One round of soccer does not compare to the years of turmoil endured by Shore Rugby. It is simply incomparable.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I've heard no plans about increasing the size - that would be a matter for the new Headmaster. I'd heard that Dr Mulford wanted the numbers capped at 220 so that there was still a feeling that everyone knew each other in the year group.

Thanks Quick Hands, it appears that parents and teachers have different views about the schools direction and future.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
what you focus on, has a big influence on outcomes

Shore's focus once upon a time was Rowing and Rugby

particularly under Jika Travers

however today .... rightly or wongly (sic)..... the focus appears to be Academia

and barring a change in Headmaster, I can't see this changing

many old boys have abandoned ship, and can NOW be seen on the sidelines at Scots/Newington & Riverview (god forbid)

Shore is a changing place ... and I would go as far as saying it has more similarities with Sydney High and Sydney Grammar

and in my estimation the trend is accelerating ... then again I am an outsider

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'd like to begin by stating that Shore won the Soccer premiership in 2016 & 2015. The only explanation for them losing 21 out of 25 games is clearly because they were simply outmatched. One round of soccer does not compare to the years of turmoil endured by Shore Rugby. It is simply incomparable.

And the 1sts and 2nds were 2 of the 4 teams which won on that day.

The results bespeak an attitude towards sport (I purposely picked the Grammar round as they could never be accused of overdoing sport).

Others have endured years of pain in rowing at the hands of Shore and still do.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)

Jika_Travers_1948.jpg

Good old Basil. Don't forget his first love...cricket. He was a first class cricketer. Travers scored 718 runs at 25.64 and took 48 wickets at 30.20 from his 24 first-class matches. Although he never scored a century or managed a five wicket haul, Travers made four half centuries and had best figures of 4/65.

I do recall him telling me once that when he started at Shore in 1959 he took a rugby team as coach. One day he found himself coaching his team as they were being belted by Joeys. At halftime he was lost for words on what to say to the boys who had conceded a dozen tries. Then an Old, small Marist Brother stepped forward and offered to say a few things if that would help. Jika said, yes please. The old fella spoke to the boys to have pride in their jersey, pride in their mates and just tackle as hard as they can. 'Let Joeys beat you only on the score board and not in your hearts" In the second half, Joeys scored only one more try. Jika didn't get to thank him till much later when he saw this old brother sitting on the sideline at the 1st XV match. That was when he met Brother Henry, coach of 18 GPS 1st XV premiership winning teams. Brother Henry was a kindly man of strong faith and simple piety, who regarded his coaching skill as 'a gift from Heaven', a means by which he could influence boys to lead happy and worthy Christian lives. To him, Rugby was a powerful influence in moulding character and developing manly virtues. Jika I feel would have agreed. They became firm friends and Jika always had an affection for Joeys. I know he attended Brother Henry's funeral in 1970.

Jika told me this story himself in 1982 when asked, "what do you like about Joeys?". A tough fella who had a definite idea of what makes a good man. Academics, sport and mateship in equal amounts. Shore have indeed lost that simple plan.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes Joker ... you are absolutely right Jika thought very highly of Joeys.

And you tell a great story ... that is a cracker.

I think BH Travers happiest year as Headmaster was 1977, where Shore shared the title with Joeys, and Shore in fact beat Joeys ... and surprisingly playing Joeys brand of running rugby.

Shore only lost to Riverview ... and Michael Hawker made Aussie Schoolboys ... while Bill Pulver was in the team.

I gather Jika marvelled at how Joeys had put soccer down in the basement

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I gather Jika marvelled at how Joeys had put soccer down in the basement

Well in typical Joeys style they limited the teams but still provided the best pitch in the GPS to play on. Joeys ground staff are superb.

Now they are finishing off a purpose built grandstand for the soccer lads. While they limit football, they still do their best to provide top quality facilities and a half decent after game spread.

DG68SWeU0AEUzKw.jpg:large

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I think BH Travers happiest year as Headmaster was 1977, where Shore shared the title with Joeys, and Shore in fact beat Joeys . and surprisingly playing Joeys brand of running rugby

I quote the Shore Record. Enjoy a walk down memory lane

1st XV vs S.J.C.
After early afternoon showers, the rain cleared to produce a fine afternoon for the s1art of the clash between Shore and St Joseph's at Northbridge, with an enormous, enthusiastic crowd present. For once the Shore supporters roughly equalled the S.J.C. supporters. Although Shore ran with the wind in the first half, most of the early stages of the game were played in the Shore half with the S.J.C. team looking very threatening. After 10 minutes S.J.C.were awarded a penalty and were successful in the attempt at goal and so took the lead 3-0. Immediately after this, Shore attacked and play moved up into the S.J.C. half. In the 25th minute Shore was awarded a penalty and Wileman was successful in the kick at goal. The scores were now 3-3. After this Shore kept attacking in the S.J.C. half and made many substantial gains of ground and quite often were close to the line but failed to capitalise in these situations. Then in the 35th minute Shore was awarded a penalty and Wileman was again successful in the kick at goal. So Shore for the first time had the lead 6-3 and this remained the score till half time.

Right from the Start of the second half, Shore moved up near the S.J.C. line. Then after only 5 minutes, Pulver gathered up a loose ball and sent it out the backline which resulted in an overlap for Cozens who raced away to the corner for a good try. The conversion was unsuccessful and Shore led 10-3. S.J.C. retaliated and pushed play up towards the Shore line. Play remained here for some time and it eventually led in S.J.C.going over for a try. Failing to convert, Shore still led 10-7. Minutes later S.J.C. again scored when they dived on a loose ball from a lineout, that was over the Shore line. This time they converted and had again taken the lead from Shore 13-10. S.J.C.continued to attack but then from a loose ball on the Shore 25 Cozens toed the ball through, down almost to the S.J.C. line and here Massey regained the ball to dive over for an excellent try. Wileman this time converted the try and Shore had regained the lead 16-13.

For the last 10 minutes extreme pressure was applied on Shore as S.J.C.made an all out and desperate bid to regain the lead. S.J.C. faced with defeat, panicked when awarded a penalty almost straight in front and took the tap. Shore however managed to keep them Out until full time and in doing so won 16-13. Praise must go to the team as a whole as they combined and worked as a team for the whole game with their defence against the highly regarded S.J.C. backline being excellent.

Straight Through

Bob McCowan (2)
To be honest, I didn't ever really think about rowing. Shore have dominated over the years since 1985, and other schools have been subject to their wrath since then. I wonder what it is about the Shore rowing program that makes them so consistently strong. There are no scholarships or kids with gifted rowing talents that come to the school every year, yet they consistently manage to win national titles and produce Australian representative rowers. Perhaps their close proximity to the Sydney harbour has seen Poseiden give them godly powers.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
To be honest, I didn't ever really think about rowing. Shore have dominated over the years since 1985, and other schools have been subject to their wrath since then. I wonder what it is about the Shore rowing program that makes them so consistently strong. There are no scholarships or kids with gifted rowing talents that come to the school every year, yet they consistently manage to win national titles and produce Australian representative rowers. Perhaps their close proximity to the Sydney harbour has seen Poseiden give them godly powers.

Shore are strong at rowing due to having large numbers of participants in the boat shed. They also have top quality coaches as well as a strong program from the juniors up. Unlike Newington in the 90’s where Morgan concentrated on the Eights, Shore will often have year 12 boys in the fours when other schools the fours are made of yr 11 & 10. Strength in numbers. Oh and yes they did have a scholarship or two along the way.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Shore are strong at rowing due to having large numbers of participants in the boat shed. They also have top quality coaches as well as a strong program from the juniors up. Unlike Newington in the 90’s where Morgan concentrated on the Eights, Shore will often have year 12 boys in the fours when other schools the fours are made of yr 11 & 10. Strength in numbers. Oh and yes they did have a scholarship or two along the way.

No scholarships for sport at Shore. 0%. My son has been in that boat shed 5 years and he can guarantee you it doesn’t happen and hasn’t happened. Nor does it happen for any sport and the council is currently strongly against it in spite of some rugby parent agitation.
There are 42 scholarships only if which 100% are academic, music or leadership. If you know how the intake works (it’s purely a timing based queue) you will know that just isn’t the case.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
The strict adherence to the time based queue

Utter stupidity imho

It’s like u go to Northbridge to watch a game ... and every bit of that stand is earmarked for someone or some group

I have never seen a school so determined to stick to their rules

Oh well that’s there prerogative

But that’s why no matter how courageous the shore boys are they are like lambs to the slaughter

It reminds me of the same bloodyminded adherence to the Gallipoli strategy

Show some creativity , bend the rules just a smidgen... for f...ks sake

Anyway certainly other gps schools happy to welcome sons of former shore boys , with open arms

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
No scholarships for sport at Shore. 0%. My son has been in that boat shed 5 years and he can guarantee you it doesn’t happen and hasn’t happened. Nor does it happen for any sport and the council is currently strongly against it in spite of some rugby parent agitation.
There are 42 scholarships only if which 100% are academic, music or leadership. If you know how the intake works (it’s purely a timing based queue) you will know that just isn’t the case.

Ha, as an old boy with a nephew there I am aware of their policy. My statement was along the way not this present day. Not dropping names but there was one around the late 90’s and there was also one around the mid 2000’s.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

however today .. rightly or wongly (sic)... the focus appears to be Academia

and barring a change in Headmaster, I can't see this changing

many old boys have abandoned ship, and can NOW be seen on the sidelines at Scots/Newington & Riverview (god forbid)

Shore is a changing place . and I would go as far as saying it has more similarities with Sydney High and Sydney Grammar

and in my estimation the trend is accelerating . then again I am an outsider
Current Headmaster at Shore is soon going to retire so we’ll see what happens on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.