• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Just back from Stanmore,

Newington 43 beat a very determined St.Augustines 0

What a game Nil all at half time, where Auggies boys outplay Newington in the forwards. Simply new could not get their hands on the ball against an opposition who also defended brilliantly. All New's 43 points scored in the second half. Some beauty tries originating backline movements.

Other scores of Interest
2nds NC B St.Augustines 17
16As NC Won 7-0
15As NC Won 42-7
14As NC Won 29-22
13As NCWon 54-5

Talk you guys later with a more detailed report as I got to be at my local members party function. Its a free feed, hence my haste in reporting.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
To be fair, Knox had replaced 60% of their team when Shore scored their last 2 tries, the last one off the biggest knock on, that somehow the ref missed. Imho 7 tries to 3 was probably a fairer indication of the the game. Kudos to the Shore 2nds who are a very gutsy team and deservedly won 14-6

Ok, that sounds more worrying for Shore then. Same thing happened last year re 2s, CAS 1st sides would put a few on Shore but Shore would soundly win all other open grades.

R

RuggerFan1

Scots 1s played brilliantly to get up over Trinity. Terrible crowd, felt like a 16a's game. The Scots 3s also did well to get up on Trinity 2s winning 31-34. Trinity scored two late tries against a tired Scots team who aren't use to playing for 70 minutes.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well done joeys ... well deserved winners today

How good is Gibbs. When he dropped one ball I had to remind myself that he is human.

He really single/Handley engineered all the point scoring

He has fast feet, soft hands ... just a class act.

I don’t think he missed a conversion kick today. And there were some wide ones

Andrew Coorey great referee ... he let the game breath

My points

Gibbs 3
Dan O’Brien 2... sure thing for Aussie schools
Kannan 1... he was electric

Volkman 3
Alex rice ... 2 ... he has really matured , great leadership
Lathan H-Walters 1

Waverley might have lost ... but they have great comraderie

All the fire power ...and will be very hard to beat in CAS

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Well done joeys . well deserved winners today

How good is Gibbs. When he dropped one ball I had to remind myself that he is human.

He has fast feet, soft hands . just a class act.

Andrew Coorey great referee . he let the game breath

My points

Gibbs 3
Dan O’Brien 2. sure thing for Aussie schools
Kannan 1. he was electric

Volkman 3
Alex rice . 2 . he has really matured , great leadership
Lathan H-Walters 1

Waverley might have lost . but they have great comraderie

All the fire power .and will be very hard to beat in CAS

A very fair assessment SDW. Coorey was very very good.

Gibbs was literally the difference. 7/7 including 4 from well out wide. And both he and his opposite were the best players on their respective teams though I think Gibbs did more to make others look good, whereas Volkman looked great himself.

I would probably have given the 1 to Hugh Bokenham only because of a defensive lapse by Kanaan. But on attack he was a huge handful. It was a heavyweight championship clash and one to remember.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
I will cross post this on the CAS forum.

Tough day in many ways for TAS against Cranbrook. I arrived late and missed the early matches so started with 16Av16A. Cranbrook won something like 60-0. They were bigger, faster and more skilled, although TAS maintained the intensity of its tackling for much of the game. Listening to some of the junior boys coming up to watch the 16As I had the feeling, I may be incorrect, that there were high scores in some of the earlier games. Don't know however.

The match between TAs 2nds and Cranbrook thirds was good evenly matched football. Cranbrook scored very early, 7-0. It then took TAS 15 minutes to score and convert. HT score 7-7. Cranbrook scored early in the second half but then TAS started to run away with the game. Final score TAS 28 - Cranbrook 14. The last time I played on the Horden Oval for TAS seconds, this time against Crabrook seconds, we won too!

My heart sank as the Cranbrook Firsts ran onto the field. I had a lot about the team on the forums. They are big and also very fast. Cranbrook scored and converted at the third minute. Twenty five minutes later, the score was 33-0. Cranbrook were winning TAS line-outs, won several scrums against the feed and were pinching TAS ball in the rucks. TAS then steadied and were attacking at half time. HT score 33-0. Cranbrook scored soon after the break and then twice more, but it was a little more even. Final score 52-0.

Two things stopped the game being a total rout. The first was the number of penalties Cranbrook attracted. This was a feature of all three matches i saw, but especially the Firsts. I could wish that TAS did more goal kicking rather than relying on pick and drive. The second was the TAS tackling. With big fast backs playing against smaller boys, you often only have one chance to stop the movement. TAS tackled its heart out, time and again stopping movements, sometimes just before the line. The second half score of Cranbrook 19-TAS 0 would have been a cricket score without that.

The lessons? Chatting around the ground, Cranbrook feels that they can win the CAS. I think that's right so long as they can get the penalty count down. For TAS's part, it's a young team, all the top TAS teams seem young, reduced by injury. on the long bus trip home tonight the boys will be a bit sore and sorry. I don't think that they should be depressed. There are things that need to be fixed, but for the firsts in particular who maintained their intensity in the face of what may be CAS's first grade team, that spirit gives them, I think, a solid base for coming games.

Thanks for the update Jim. It promises to be an excellent first round of the competition next week when Joeys visit TAS. I am looking forward to the main game.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Well done joeys . well deserved winners today

He has fast feet, soft hands . just a class act.

Andrew Coorey great referee . he let the game breath

My points

Gibbs 3
Dan O’Brien 2. sure thing for Aussie schools
Kannan 1. he was electric

Volkman 3
Alex rice . 2 . he has really matured , great leadership
Lathan H-Walters 1

Waverley might have lost . but they have great comraderie

All the fire power .and will be very hard to beat in CAS

Yes, what an amazing game of rugby. Could have gone either way but full credit to Joeys for holding off the Waverley pick and drive in the final minutes. You would have to conclude that both teams are well placed for their respective competitions in the coming months.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
6 converted tries, a 7th unconverted, and a penalty goal perhaps? I'm sure Fomerflanker can shed some light on the calculations.

Exactly.
The Knox penalty was kicked early in the 1st half after Shore had scored two excellent tries - one a trademark Shore rolling maul with the lighter team using strong technique to steamroll the bigger Knox boys. The scores were close at the time and Knox chose to go for the points.
Trial games? Hah. The boys are playing for keeps.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
If I am going to keep chatting to you blokes then I think need an avatar.
A photo of my team from the Sydney Uni reserve grade premiership in 1979 :)

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree it was a very impressive performance by Gibbs Joeys 10
What is concerning is nearly 90 points conceded in 2 weeks against middle of the road teams.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Agree it was a very impressive performance by Gibbs Joeys 10
What is concerning is nearly 90 points conceded in 2 weeks against middle of the road teams.

You can't win the GPS competition with defence that poor.
Uncharacteristic of Joeys to bleed points so easily.
Mid table for Joeys based on last 2 weeks performances.
My early prediction:
1. Kings
2. Scots
3. Joeys
4 & 5 Riverview and Newington (can't decide in which order)
6. alas Shore again but with some improvement on recent years.
I'm sure Joker is still lurking silently in the shadows and will be livid that he can't respond.......:)

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
My early prediction:
1. Kings
2. Scots
3. Joeys
I'm sure Joker is still lurking silently in the shadows and will be livid that he can't respond...:)

Fair enough Wristman. Joeys won the premiership last year with Points For = 167 and Points Against = 133 from five matches so averaged about 33 points scored per match and 27 points against per match. Agree that teams need good defence, but if you are consistently scoring more than your opponents and winning games it's a bit academic.

RogerScots82

Stan Wickham (3)
My early prediction:
1. Kings
2. Scots
3. Joeys
I'm sure Joker is still lurking silently in the shadows and will be livid that he can't respond...:)

Im tipping scots as the 'underdog' premiere but think it will be a struggle for them to win it outright.
joeys and kings will be the tough games as usual and i think if Newington want to be a threat they have a lot of work to do, Riverview could be the wildcard, and as shown by their game against Scots they aren't to be underestimated.

R

RuggerFan1

Trinity 2s had to go uncontested scrums against Scots 3s, pretty embarrassing.

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
Trinity 2s had to go uncontested scrums against Scots 3s, pretty embarrassing.
Chin up Rugger far from embarrassing with the resources and imports our mates from Bellevue Hill have.
What’s embarrassing is choking at the finish line last year with no less than 6 NSW and Aussie schools players in the team.
Let’s see if Scots get the Wobblies again

Status
Not open for further replies.