• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
TAS v Joeys.png
And this is the TAS v SJ matches, Armidale, Saturday

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
j4IT0bF.jpg

Congrats Joker on your comeback, we missed your posts. Pretty sure it is pink btw ;) .

Nice to see Shore's 2nd XV doing well, hopefully it's a sign of their rugby revival.

Now if I was really Joker, I would respond to those doubting the defensive ability of the Joeys team.

I would launch into a long story on the history of defence at Joeys and the wonderful Br Bede who taught many boys to tackle with perfect technique, demonstrating how to use the momentum of the attacking player to advantage. I would talk about the precision of Br Bede's technique and his clear demonstration of defensive positional play, so important in executing the perfect tackle. I would relate that as a Mathematics teacher, he had a comprehensive understanding of the theory and was able to apply it flawlessly.

Joker would say that the tradition continues to this day, and nobody needs to be concerned about Joeys defence against Scots this week.

But I'm Not Joker.

And It's Not Pink :)

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Now if I was really Joker, I would respond to those doubting the defensive ability of the Joeys team.

I would launch into a long story on the history of defence at Joeys and the wonderful Br Bede who taught many boys to tackle with perfect technique, demonstrating how to use the momentum of the attacking player to advantage. I would talk about the precision of Br Bede's technique and his clear demonstration of defensive positional play, so important in executing the perfect tackle. I would relate that as a Mathematics teacher, he had a comprehensive understanding of the theory and was able to apply it flawlessly.

Joker would say that the tradition continues to this day, and nobody needs to be concerned about Joeys defence against Scots this week.

But I'm Not Joker.

And It's Not Pink :)
Oh Great, there are two annoying, arrogant, one eyed pink and blue supporters out there who probably believe on the Friday Jesus did walk across he mighty Parramatta river at the request of brother Boyd to train at number 7. At the end of the session he produced a fish which fed the 1st and 2nd team, told brother Boyd that he should stick with Michael Lipman at 7 then with 3 hearty cheers from the senior teams accended to the skies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I don't think that these weekend results from the AAGPS site have been posted yet. Cross-posting to the CAS and ISA forumsView attachment 10705

Hello Jim
I though I would give St.Pius X 1st team a pat on the back, for their Saturday performance against Newington 3rds. 50-12. Yes Newington 3rds are having a hard season, but its to be expected when you only 5 teams in the opens. But nevertheless, Pius teams played with great crediting on Saturday against their Newington opponents, despite playing down a team or two.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Oh Great, there are two annoying, arrogant, one eyed pink and blue supporters out there who probably believe on the Friday Jesus did walk across he mighty Parramatta river at the request of brother Boyd to train at number 7. At the end of the session he produced a fish which fed the 1st and 2nd team, told brother Boyd that he should stick with Michael Lipman at 7 then with 3 hearty cheers from the senior teams accended to the skies.

Mate, as a new member I promise to be a fair, balanced and constructive contributor to this excellent forum.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I see common sense has prevailing at scots 15As are playing sevens versus joeys

That seems a sensible solution imho

Match of round have to be joeys v scots

Joeys seemed to cop a few injuries against Waverley, so scots probably have their best chance to get bragging rights

Will be interesting to see if scots does better job of containing the joeys 10/12/13 combo

Plus their is kannan ... he is a revelation... albeit not as far as Tigers NRL are concerned

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
I see common sense has prevailing at scots 15As are playing sevens versus joeys

That seems a sensible solution imho

Match of round have to be joeys v scots

Joeys seemed to cop a few injuries against Waverley, so scots probably have their best chance to get bragging rights

Will be interesting to see if scots does better job of containing the joeys 10/12/13 combo

Plus their is kannan . he is a revelation. albeit not as far as Tigers NRL are concerned

Re Kannan - I understand Joeys are quite against boys playing for league teams in Harold Mats or SG Ball. Prefer them to have full commitment to their school footy. A shame for some of the talented youngsters missing out on that experience.

This weekend's match up will be a cracker, although I cant see the tidy Scots outfit being beaten. The likes of Botha and Brial in the forward pack and Mossman and Moore in the backline presents size, speed and physicality. If Joeys are letting in 47 against Waverley, they may have the attacking flair but the physicality and aggression from the Scots boys will bring their defence into question. Nonetheless, I hear the discipline from Scots against Trinity was quite poor conceding a few penalties at the breakdown.

Should be a ripper of a game but I'm saying Scots by 12.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Re Kannan - I understand Joeys are quite against boys playing for league teams in Harold Mats or SG Ball. Prefer them to have full commitment to their school footy. A shame for some of the talented youngsters missing out on that experience.

This weekend's match up will be a cracker, although I cant see the tidy Scots outfit being beaten. The likes of Botha and Brial in the forward pack and Mossman and Moore in the backline presents size, speed and physicality. If Joeys are letting in 47 against Waverley, they may have the attacking flair but the physicality and aggression from the Scots boys will bring their defence into question. Nonetheless, I hear the discipline from Scots against Trinity was quite poor conceding a few penalties at the breakdown.

Should be a ripper of a game but I'm saying Scots by 12.
I think there are two matches of note. Joeys V Scots (assuming both sides are at full strength) and Waverley V Kings (can the Waverley form of last week travel to BankWest Stadium?)

I doubt that Scots are any more physical or aggressive than Waverley were last week.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
This Saturday is the first competition round of the GPS 3rd XV Competition.
Eight teams the same as last year - they will play each other once over seven rounds.
1st XVs from Grammar, High & TAS;
3rd XVs from Joeys, Kings, Riverview, Scots & Shore. (New 3rds don't play in this comp).

Round 1 Matches:

Grammar 1st XV v Scots 3rd XV @ Weigall
Grammar coming off a loss to Joeys 3rds could find Scots 3rds a similar proposition.
Forum commentary has picked Scots as one of the main prospects in the 3rds this year.

Kings 3rd XV v High 1st XV @ Gowan Brae
Sydney High lost @ Mackay to Joeys 4ths last week so will need to lift in this opening encounter.
Kings at home on the magnificent JS White Oval are always tough to beat.

Riverview 3rd XV v Shore 3rd XV @ Riverview
Riverview were undefeated premiers in this division last year and will want to retain the title.
Shore had a close tussle with Knox last week so expect them to be competitive.

TAS 1st XV v Joeys 3rd XV @ Armidale
Joeys travel to Armidale for this opening round after a solid win over Grammar.
TAS have had several tough trials v Cranbrook, Kinross and Gregs.
TAS always lift on Backfield in front of the home crowd and this promises to be a cracking game.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
I think there are two matches of note. Joeys V Scots (assuming both sides are at full strength) and Waverley V Kings (can the Waverley form of last week travel to BankWest Stadium?)

I doubt that Scots are any more physical or aggressive than Waverley were last week.

I may be mistaken but I didn't see much aggression from either side, a lot of great attacking but both poor in defence. Waverley have some sizeable blokes in Ametesaro (5) and Lathan HW (12) but they clearly lack the professional coaching Scots has through Brian Smith - making a well drilled, cohesive side who I believe will outdo any team in terms of applying pressure both in attack and defence.

Perhaps I'll be made a fool later in the season, havent seen much from the Kings side, but I believe Scots will be very hard to beat for the 2019 premiership.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I may be mistaken but I didn't see much aggression from either side, a lot of great attacking but both poor in defence. Waverley have some sizeable blokes in Ametesaro (5) and Lathan HW (12) but they clearly lack the professional coaching Scots has through Brian Smith - making a well drilled, cohesive side who I believe will outdo any team in terms of applying pressure both in attack and defence.

Perhaps I'll be made a fool later in the season, havent seen much from the Kings side, but I believe Scots will be very hard to beat for the 2019 premiership.

I beg to differ ... I think Waverley has made some big improvements since their game against riverview

particularly in terms of recyclying posession and scrums

so while I have been critical in the past ... only with good intentions ... I think Waverley are progressing nicely

I do rate Scots's Brian Smith, however his resources are 2nd to none ... and I think this years Scots team has more chinks in their armour, so will be interested to see how they fare against Joeys on Saturday

I think Scots suddenly seem like they are real contenders, as they smoked Newington ... however Joeys are more likely to test Scots in several facets where Newington didn't

in my opinion it is scrum and line-out where Scots will be looking for improvement

if they can improve in these areas ... then maybe they deserve to be contenders along with Joeys and Kings

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
Posted this is the CAS forum, just wondering if you guys had any more info

Question for those in the know, how many CAS and GPS players have contracts with League clubs (ie paying their school fees) compared to Super Rugby clubs ? Are these comps becoming training ground for the NRL and what happens if they dont go to league ?

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Posted this is the CAS forum, just wondering if you guys had any more info

Question for those in the know, how many CAS and GPS players have contracts with League clubs (ie paying their school fees) compared to Super Rugby clubs ? Are these comps becoming training ground for the NRL and what happens if they dont go to league ?
This is nothing new, this practice has been around for more than 20 years for a way to keep young kids at the league club without actually paying them. I know of a few cases where the kids either never made it or left and played for other senior clubs. Hardly a breeding.

FootyGuy

Bob McCowan (2)
To be fair most of the contracted players have been playing Rugby League from a very early age ie well before they played union for school. Most have played development squad, Harold Matthews and SG Ball for their respective teams. In the current crop of GPS 1st players who are contracted; KINGS: Joe Sua'ali'i (Rabbits), Viiami Penisini (Eels), NEWINGTON: Kaeo Weekes (Manly), Tolutau Koula (Manly), JOEYS: Sam Kanaan (West Tigers), Henry Okane (West Tigers). All bar Henry Okane are backs. If they combined this backline it would be one of the best GPS had ever seen.

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
To be fair most of the contracted players have been playing Rugby League from a very early age ie well before they played union for school. Most have played development squad, Harold Matthews and SG Ball for their respective teams. In the current crop of GPS 1st players who are contracted; KINGS: Joe Sua'ali'i (Rabbits), Viiami Penisini (Eels), NEWINGTON: Kaeo Weekes (Manly), Tolutau Koula (Manly), JOEYS: Sam Kanaan (West Tigers), Henry Okane (West Tigers). All bar Henry Okane are backs. If they combined this backline it would be one of the best GPS had ever seen.
All these kids are on scholarship. I don’t think the NRL paying. Can’t imagine bunnies are paying for Sua'ali'i to go to kings.why would they?

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
All these kids are on scholarship. I don’t think the NRL paying. Can’t imagine bunnies are paying for Sua'ali'i to go to kings.why would they?
Boys are only on scholarships for the school to have bragging rights in the GPS season
Weekes is a paying student and runs his own show
All the great ones in recent times have all chosen league after school and that’s a real shame for Australian rugby
Chrichton,Meorea,Murray all had opportunity to stay in rugby, maybe the money is to hard to knock back ?
Great to see Harris stick though, huge talent that I hope goes all the way.

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Boys are only on scholarships for the school to have bragging rights in the GPS season
Weekes is a paying student and runs his own show
All the great ones in recent times have all chosen league after school and that’s a real shame for Australian rugby
Chrichton,Meorea,Murray all had opportunity to stay in rugby, maybe the money is to hard to knock back ?
Great to see Harris stick though, huge talent that I hope goes all the way.
Are you sure weekes is paying full rate ? Why would he travel all that way to go to newington. I know 3 other boys In that team all being subsidised. Doesn’t really make sense when he could get free education. Not sure who Meorea and Murray are but I wouldn’t call Crighton a great one. He is good but given the current crop and who he played against at school don’t think he is missed. He is doing a great job in league but is this a result of playing both codes. Do y think the RA should be chasing him?

FootyGuy

Bob McCowan (2)
The Newington boys arrived in year 10. The two Joeys boys have been there since Year 7. Not sure about the two boys at Kings.

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Newington boys arrived in year 10. The two Joeys boys have been there since Year 7. Not sure about the two boys at Kings.
Are you sure weekes is paying full rate ? Why would he travel all that way to go to newington. I know 3 other boys In that team all being subsidised. Doesn’t really make sense when he could get free education. Not sure who Meorea and Murray are but I wouldn’t call Crighton a great one. He is good but given the current crop and who he played against at school don’t think he is missed. He is doing a great job in league but is this a result of playing both codes. Do y think the RA should be chasing him?
Crichton and Murray are the best 2 I’ve seen in GPS since Beale
Crichton played 3 years in firsts at 12 what a player!!
Murray pretty much won New the title in 2015 if Murray didn’t play they run 4th no disrespect to the other Newington players in that team he was just so good
And Yes Weekes is not a scholarship student.
Meorea plays NRL with Parramatta
Another 12 that played Aussie Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.