• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
At Stanmore
Newington b Barker 22-19, hard fought and extramely close game.It was case of the Newington backs being dominant in the losse play and Barker forwards dominate in the tight play.Barker used their pick and drive through their forwards and gain dominance in this aspect of play. Newington on the other hand used the ball with lethal effect in open play and had a few passes not gone wrong might have score two or more tries. Equally, had Barker forwards not been blocked by a determined and effective defence they two might have won the game.

Other score of interest
1st XV 22-19
2nd XV NC 24-7BC
3rd XV BC 33b NC 5

16As NC 7&b BC 5
15As NC 38b BC 19
14As NC 35 B BC 5
13As NC 62 B BC 0

A great day of School Boy Rugby

Too many yellow, some deserved some not. Newington should teach their islander boys what a legal tackle is

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Am told Riverview vs Waverley was 36 all. Riverview come back.

Yes, 36-36. Waverley were behind 29-22, then came back to lead 36-29 and View scored on the bell. I know Waverley had some injuries/rested players and assume View took the opportunity to try some new combinations as well. Both sides gave it their all but the play wasn't smooth probably as a result of the new combinations. Waverley's lineout imploded in the second half, while View dropped quite a bit of ball when in promising situations. Both sides looked competitive but they also have some obvious weaknesses as well - given it was the last trial it was probably hard to take too much away from it other than there is obvious individual talent in both teams.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Having seen all GPS sides except Scots play this season, I can honestly say any one of 5 teams can win this years GPS title.

Kings , Joeys, New, Scots and View have pretty equal forward packs.

No side have any really tall timber in the second row, but most packs are strong fit and well drilled so they will all win their own feeds in scrums and lineouts. In the loose, the View back row are pretty affective as were Joeys, so games will come down to which teams can light up in the backs.

From what I have seen, Joeys, Kings and Newington have the best backs with players Gibbs(J), Sualli (K) and Koula (N) are all genuine game breakers.

If I had to make a call on who will take this years title, I think it will come down to confidence and depth. From that perspective I think Joeys will win with Kings close and Newington the dark horse to create the upset.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Having seen all GPS sides except Scots play this season, I can honestly say any one of 5 teams can win this years GPS title.

Kings , Joeys, New, Scots and View have pretty equal forward packs.

No side have any really tall timber in the second row, but most packs are strong fit and well drilled so they will all win their own feeds in scrums and lineouts. In the loose, the View back row are pretty affective as were Joeys, so games will come down to which teams can light up in the backs.

From what I have seen, Joeys, Kings and Newington have the best backs with players Gibbs(J), Sualli (K) and Koula (N) are all genuine game breakers.

If I had to make a call on who will take this years title, I think it will come down to confidence and depth. From that perspective I think Joeys will win with Kings close and Newington the dark horse to create the upset.

The competition draw will also play a big part (as it always does).
The first two rounds before the holidays could be significant.

Joeys play Newington at Stanmore in Round 1. Then Shore at Hunters Hill in Round 2.
Riverview open with Kings at Lane Cove, then Scots at Bellevue Hill. A tough start.
New have Joeys then Kings. Brutal.
Scots have Shore away then View at home.
It will be fascinating.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Not sure why you mention “islander boys” and not the fact Barker got a red card for a dangerous tackle?

The Baker dangerous tackle was line ball. happened right in front of me. It was a legal call by touch judge but given both tackler and the tackled player at no time in the action were ever higher than thigh height it was tough. The Barker lad had the New lad around the waist and drove through with his shoulder and body to effect the tackle. Unfortunately the New lad landed just past horizontal on his shoulder and neck, so yes he was lifted but gee it was a tough call. Barker lad was crushed and in a sign of great sportsmanship went back to the New lad to ensure he was ok which he was.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Too many yellow, some deserved some not. Newington should teach their islander boys what a legal tackle is

Hello Flavio
Yes three card for New and one for Barker. As far as I know this is more yellow cards in one game than entire season so far for Newington. From one angle the devastating tackle made by the Newington Center was open to question. As far as I could see there was no lifting and the New player had made contact with the Barker player before crashing him to ground. But that is my memory and I don't claim to be right.

But, I am not referee and his decisions stands as far as I am concerned. The referee is always right even when he is wrong.

Your perspective on this matter would be deeply appreciated and welcomed. As I would never consider Newington players to be perfect. But what I do know the training of 1st XV ,Newington Players is extensive and detailed. So I find the yellow carding in this game out of character with our boys. Additionally, our Pacific Islanders are absolute gentleman, in my experience off the field. But they do play a physical game.

Yes, I still consider the day a great day of schoolboy and these cards should not distort the enjoyment that these two great schools delivered to their supporters.

Cauli5

Frank Row (1)
Hello Flavio
Yes three card for New and one for Barker. As far as I know this is more red cards in one game than entire season so far for Newington. From one angle the devastating tackle made by the Newington Center was open to question. As far as I could see there was no lifting and the New player had made contact with the Barker player before crashing him to ground. But that is my memory and I don't claim to be right.

But, I am not referee and his decisions stands as far as I am concerned. The referee is always right even when he is wrong.

Your perspective on this matter would be deeply appreciated and welcomed. As I would never consider Newington players to be perfect. But what I do know the training of 1st XV ,Newington Players is extensive and detailed. So I find the red carding in this game out of character with our boys. Additionally, our Pacific Islanders are absolute gentleman, in my experience off the field. But they do play a physical game

Actually I think it was 4 yellow cards to Newington, 1 red and 1 yellow to Barker! Never seen so many cards in a match ever! At one stage Newington were playing with 12 men.....

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Hello Flavio
Yes three card for New and one for Barker. As far as I know this is more yellow cards in one game than entire season so far for Newington. From one angle the devastating tackle made by the Newington Center was open to question. As far as I could see there was no lifting and the New player had made contact with the Barker player before crashing him to ground. But that is my memory and I don't claim to be right.

Your perspective on this matter would be deeply appreciated and welcomed. As I would never consider Newington players to be perfect. But what I do know the training of 1st XV ,Newington Players is extensive and detailed. So I find the yellow carding in this game out of character with our boys. Additionally, our Pacific Islanders are absolute gentleman, in my experience off the field. But they do play a physical game

It was more than that. Barker had one red card in 8th minute and 2 yellows during the match. Newington had 5 yellows and were desperately lucky that those yellows (most professional fouls) did not result in penalty tries. Its a pity that became a focus as the rugby in between was first rate. The Newington backs are electric and the tackles and hits that the Barker lads put on especially Pollards tackles on Thomas Latu and Nepote Moala in the second half were just monstrous. He is a shoe in to retain the Aust schoolboys No2.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Joeys v Kings

Attachments

• 614B33FF-883E-45C3-BFA0-BE00BAC7B6AC.jpeg
    614B33FF-883E-45C3-BFA0-BE00BAC7B6AC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 464

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV Competition- Round 2 Results

Joeys 24 d High 5
Riverview 19 d Scots 10
Grammar 19 d Kings 12
TAS 7 d Shore 5

Riverview and Joeys consolidate at the top of the table with two wins each.
Grammar stays in touch with a win and a draw.
TAS jumps up the table to join Kings with one win and one loss.
Scots sitting on one point from their draw with Grammar in round 1.
Shore and High yet to open their account despite some close games.

Round 3 on 15 June
Shore @ Joeys
Kings @ Riverview
High @ Scots
TAS @ Grammar

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And it was a very depleted 2nds at that, the firsts were playing Trinity and Brain took plenty of back up from the 2nds ...
Further examination of the Shore 2019 results shows
V Stannies L 15-17
V Trinity D 24-24
V Knox L 29-50
V Barker L 21-75
V Oakhill W 32-17

On those results they have a tough GPS season ahead, although we know that the Shore boys always lift themselves and leave nothing in the tank at the end of games.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Re the yellow & red cards and the Newington v Barker game

I think the referees have a tough gig ... blokes like me just want to see a flowing game ... however not sure referee have any compunction to factor in "entertainment value"

to me the perfect scenario is running rugby and a referee that allows the 2 teams to determine the result

however that is easier said than done ..at the end of the day "stoppages" (the enemy of a flowing game) are going to be heavily influenced by knock-ons (amongst other things)

while there is the opportunity to play advantage, that is only where the ball gets turned over to the opposition

and at the end of the day, the referees probably in the first instance need to police the "laws of the game"

as I understand it referees are paid a pittance, are invariably the "bad guy", and particularly in schoolboy rugby ... are the target of abuse from all and sundry

... and the message that coaches and parents send to children's minds is "negative"

so in terms of a huge amounts of yellow and red cards ... in the particular match .....that doesn't sound ideal. they are definitely stoppages that can "influence" the result and create longer "breaks in play"

however to support the referee .....my understanding is there are certain scenarios where there are more-a-less mandatory cards ... foul play and lifting tackles, being the ones I am aware of

it also strikes me that yellow cards can and should be used to prevent things blowing up ... some what preventative ... say in situation where 2 players are about to go toe to toe

however when there are a heap of cards early in the match that does sound a bit unusual

usually it's deep in the match where things tend to get a bit heated ... and the cards start coming

anyway I think I know the referee that did the Barker/New game (no point in naming him)... and so while I know (or can see from appointments) he is a young bloke (guessing 30) ... and I can see that he was not referee coached ... hopefully he reflects on how it all went down

maybe he (the referee) was well within his rights, maybe ......if it was that brutal (the tackle) or it was that professional (of an enfringement), that he was entirely correct

However I do wonder how these top tier referees (not sure what they call them... Level #?) are coached ... after all no one is playing for sheep stations, so is it that important

although it is always good (particularly for the younger referees) to learn from experience

and I suspect that there must be differences between schoolboys and colts (as I know these referees bounce between schools, colts and grade)... and maybe sometimes .....it takes an old head to know how to handle the situations

trouble is with an old head, comes an old body (and worn-out legs)... so I see some very good referees that are close to being crippled .... and there is no rolling back time

so I guess it is all about getting an old head on a younger man's legs

either way the fact that Barker flogged Shore, and Newington beat Barker .... shows if Newington rolls out of bed, the right side, then they are more than capable

Joeys no doubt will be wanting to bring their A game... in 2 weeks time

so Round 1 of AAGPS ... I will be interested to hear how both the 1st XV fares, and Newington's might 15As

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I’m sure that the Joeys boys in the 15As will be fully prepared for round 1. Newington have to lose eventually and this could be the one.
Newington v Joeys at Stanmore is a great way to start the GPS season and the compact nature of the site means it’s quite easy to walk around and watch a selection of age groups and see all the A games. (Except 14s which are played at Tempe)

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Re the yellow & red cards and the Newington v Barker game

I think the referees have a tough gig . blokes like me just want to see a flowing game . however not sure referee have any compunction to factor in "entertainment value"

to me the perfect scenario is running rugby and a referee that allows the 2 teams to determine the result

however that is easier said than done ..at the end of the day "stoppages" (the enemy of a flowing game) are going to be heavily influenced by knock-ons (amongst other things)

while there is the opportunity to play advantage, that is only where the ball gets turned over to the opposition

and at the end of the day, the referees probably in the first instance need to police the "laws of the game"

as I understand it referees are paid a pittance, are invariably the "bad guy", and particularly in schoolboy rugby . are the target of abuse from all and sundry

. and the message that coaches and parents send to children's minds is "negative"

so in terms of a huge amounts of yellow and red cards . in the particular match ...that doesn't sound ideal. they are definitely stoppages that can "influence" the result and create longer "breaks in play"

however to support the referee ...my understanding is there are certain scenarios where there are more-a-less mandatory cards . foul play and lifting tackles, being the ones I am aware of

it also strikes me that yellow cards can and should be used to prevent things blowing up . some what preventative . say in situation where 2 players are about to go toe to toe

however when there are a heap of cards early in the match that does sound a bit unusual

usually it's deep in the match where things tend to get a bit heated . and the cards start coming

anyway I think I know the referee that did the Barker/New game (no point in naming him). and so while I know (or can see from appointments) he is a young bloke (guessing 30) . and I can see that he was not referee coached . hopefully he reflects on how it all went down

maybe he (the referee) was well within his rights, maybe ..if it was that brutal (the tackle) or it was that professional (of an enfringement), that he was entirely correct

However I do wonder how these top tier referees (not sure what they call them. Level #?) are coached . after all no one is playing for sheep stations, so is it that important

although it is always good (particularly for the younger referees) to learn from experience

and I suspect that there must be differences between schoolboys and colts (as I know these referees bounce between schools, colts and grade). and maybe sometimes ...it takes an old head to know how to handle the situations

trouble is with an old head, comes an old body (and worn-out legs). so I see some very good referees that are close to being crippled .. and there is no rolling back time

so I guess it is all about getting an old head on a younger man's legs

either way the fact that Barker flogged Shore, and Newington beat Barker .. shows if Newington rolls out of bed, the right side, then they are more than capable

Joeys no doubt will be wanting to bring their A game. in 2 weeks time

so Round 1 of AAGPS . I will be interested to hear how both the 1st XV fares, and Newington's might 15As

A little more consistency from week to week would be something the refs could work on but overall they do a good job. In a close comp of 1 round between 5 teams, you can add refs (for eg, cards.....) to the other key factors which will decide the winner of the comp. The Kings team struggled a bit yesterday with the ref. The ref against Waverley at bankwest adjudicated differently. A good team can adjust to the ref.

Status
Not open for further replies.