• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Following last saturday there is renewed hope from this Scots supporter.
First half lost to Knox 7-5.
Second half beat Knox 35-7.
Complete turnaround.
Flowing rugby, ball kept alive and a growing confidence from the backs as things started to click.
The Scots performance in the first half was akin to the performance against Joeys.
The Scots performance in the second half would have trounced the Joeys team that were on show at Bellevue Hill a few weeks ago.
Knox versus Joeys was a very close game.
The Joeys faithful might just be getting a little ahead of themselves.
Joeys decidedly vulnerable.
If Scots can build on the second half performance versus Knox they will be very hard to beat.
My prediction is that 2019 will not be Joeys year....you heard it here first :)

Yes nice wind up Wristy! Joeys don't take much notice of trials win or lose & no GPS comp is won in May just as the ALP found out the hard way with the federal election! (Thanks Bill).

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I would beg to differ with how the Joeys faithful pumped their chest out with the victory over Scots two games ago!!!!

They did pump their chest out didn't they..............very confident........something about pride before a fall...... we prefer the path of humility over here at Bellevue Hill. :)

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
What happened to Sualli?

Was he injured in pre match

Maybe I put the Moka on him, when I said (in my pre -game commentary) that he loved the ground

Rod skellet, who was it from CAS (in 2018) that pulled off that "miracle" try saver on Sualli in the corner?

Ben Bryden. Barker winger

Cauli5

Frank Row (1)
Interesting re what Joeys do to the Leaguies. Yep . Joeys don't stand for any egos.

ROUND 1 Tips .. getting in early

With Will Penisin back into Kings team and Sualli presumably too . I can't see Riverview having any luck at Lane Cove.

So with Kings likely to account for Riverview, Scots almost certain to run Shore raggard, that leaves Joeys v Newington as match of the AAGPS Round 1

Newington really hasn't had too bad of a pre-season, it was only the Scots game, where they were slightly understrength and got run raggard (schredded).

So Joeys are no sure thing. Newington has some high quality players . so some key match-ups might be

Hookers
Joeys (2) Louis Robinson versus Thomas Maka

Wingers
Sam Kanaan (11) versus Tolu Koula

Fly Halves
Jude Gibbs (10) versus Mack Fell

Centres
Chan/Obrien (12/13) versus Kaeo Weekes & #

My tip . a close one . with the Joeys backrow of Dalton, O'Kane and Bokenham to be the difference.

PS O'Kane . I know he has the bloodlines . but interesting that in pre-season he wasn't slated as making the 15.

PS2 Joker . are you just lurking now ? Sulking?

Agree New/Joeys should be a fantastic match.

Couple of points - Maka has been injured and not played for a few weeks. Vei has been playing 10. Weekes hasn’t played centre all year - a couple of games at full-back only.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
32j287.jpg

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Gibbs v Fell will be interesting, Gibbs far superior in my opinion however could go either way. Newington far from contenders this year

I would have to disagree, their backline if given ball can attack from any part of the field. As shown against Barker, they don't need to dominate possession, only be given enough ball for their backs to create the opportunities to score tries. So in this regard Newington will be a most lethal, dangerous and above all unpredictable opponent for any school that opposes them. Dismiss them at your own peril. Yes, they had a reality check against Scots, when they where missing, I believe three players, but they will be a better team for the experience.

Maybe not favourites, but they will most certainly be the Dark Horse of the competition. With the potential to beat anybody on their day.

In essence, we have a most open competition for the GPS Rugby season in 2019. With any number of contenders.

My prediction is a shared premiership, that could include any combination featuring Joeys, Scots, Kings and Newington.

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would have to disagree, their backline if given ball can attack from any part of the field. As shown against Barker, they don't need to dominate possession, only be given enough ball for their backs to create the opportunities to score tries. So in this regard Newington will be a most lethal, dangerous and above all unpredictable opponent for any school that opposes them. Dismiss them at your own peril. Yes, they had a reality check against Scots, when they where missing, I believe three players, but they will be a better team for the experience.

Maybe not favourites, but they will most certainly be the Dark Horse of the competition. With the potential to beat anybody on their day.

In essence, we have a most open competition for the GPS Rugby season in 2019. With any number of contenders.

My prediction is a shared premiership, that could include any combination featuring Joeys, Scots, Kings and Newington.

The New /Joeys match is building as the game of the first round.
Last season on form and paper Joeys win this by 20, however got home by a point from memory with the New goalkicker missing not 1 but 2 conversions from in front, and they were not just to the side but under the bar!.
Joeys have struggled over the years at Stanmore.
Cracker game with 2 teams that can light it up in the backs.
Joeys in a cliffhanger , O'brien the difference for me in a high scoring game 47-43.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
The New /Joeys match is building as the game of the first round.
Last season on form and paper Joeys win this by 20, however got home by a point from memory with the New goalkicker missing not 1 but 2 conversions from in front, and they were not just to the side but under the bar!.
Joeys have struggled over the years at Stanmore.
Cracker game with 2 teams that can light it up in the backs.
Joeys in a cliffhanger , O'brien the difference for me in a high scoring game 47-43.

Hopefully, as pointed out that New's goal kicking is between and above the posts. As we now have lost two matches to Joeys, 2016( 47-48) and 2018 (27-28) to missed conversions from in front of the posts. On those days God must have been a Catholic Marist watching over the Joeys 1st XV. Hopefully, this time around he will be a God fearing Pacific Islander who loves reformed cannibals.

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone know the GPS teams for this Year? Are the Championships on tomorrow also any live stream?
Shoe ins are
Mossman,Koula,O’Brien,Gibbs due to O’Brien,Soualii,Pensini,Weekes and Albert
Put them all in a room and throw the jumpers in the air !
1 misses out
Must be best backline in years??

Status
Not open for further replies.