• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyLover29

Bob McCowan (2)
Shoe ins are
Mossman,Koula,O’Brien,Gibbs due to O’Brien,Soualii,Pensini,Weekes and Albert
Put them all in a room and throw the jumpers in the air !
1 misses out
Must be best backline in years??

Definitely also have to throw in Connolly who played Australian Schoolboys last year a year young from Kings.Signed with the Warartahs earlier in the year.

FootyGuy

Bob McCowan (2)
Current GPS 1st backs who hold NRL contracts Sua'ali'i (Rabbits), Penisini (Eels), Weekes (Manly), Koula (Manly), Kanaan (West Tigers).

Throw in other names mentioned.....will come down to performance and injuries.

RugbyLover29

Bob McCowan (2)
Current GPS 1st backs who hold NRL contracts Sua'ali'i (Rabbits), Penisini (Eels), Weekes (Manly), Koula (Manly), Kanaan (West Tigers).

Throw in other names mentioned...will come down to performance and injuries.

yes of course
My Backline:
9. ?? Not sure
10. John Connolly (Kings)
11. Sam Kanaan (Joeys)
12. Villiame Pensini (Kings)
13. Kaeo Weekes (Newington)
14. Tolu Koula (Newington)
15. Joseph Sua'ali'i

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
yes of course
My Backline:
9. ?? Not sure
10. John Connolly (Kings)
11. Sam Kanaan (Joeys)
12. Villiame Pensini (Kings)
13. Kaeo Weekes (Newington)
14. Tolu Koula (Newington)
15. Joseph Sua'ali'i

That’s a stellar backline. I’d back Albert in for #9 - big and physical with a good running game. The only challenge I would have is at #10 where I really like Gibbs but you could push Gibbs to 12 and have any one of Sua'ali'i/Koula/Weekes on the bench as they can all play 11-15. But it would be really hard to leave any of those 3 out.

With the league contracts I know that some of them lapse in less than 2 years so these guys aren’t completely lost to union. It would be nice to see selection criteria based on commitment to the sport but I’m not sure it works like that.

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone know the GPS teams for this Year? Are the Championships on tomorrow also any live stream?

9. Albert
10. Gibbs
11. Koula
12. Sua'ali'i

13. O'Brien
14. Weekes
15. Connolly

Penisini misses out for mine - one dimensional bash and barge runner compared to the others here. 12-15 have great speed. Sua'ali'i might be a surprise at 12, but he can break the line himself or offload in the tackle and O'Brien has done more than enough to justify his selection at 13. I prefer Weekes at FB but they will find a spot for Gibbs and Connolly I believe, so I push him to wing. Haven't seen Scots play, so have probably not done them any justice in these selections. If forced to choose between Gibbs and Connolly as a starter, I would go with Connolly.

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
9. Albert
10. Gibbs
11. Koula
12. Sua'ali'i

13. O'Brien
14. Weekes
15. Connolly

Penisini misses out for mine - one dimensional bash and barge runner compared to the others here. 12-15 have great speed. Sua'ali'i might be a surprise at 12, but he can break the line himself or offload in the tackle and O'Brien has done more than enough to justify his selection at 13. I prefer Weekes at FB but they will find a spot for Gibbs and Connolly I believe, so I push him to wing. Haven't seen Scots play, so have probably not done them any justice in these selections. If forced to choose between Gibbs and Connolly as a starter, I would go with Connolly.

Agree on these, maybe split them in preferred positions in 1sts/2nds I know they all want to be in Firsts however just a trial for the NSW team so rather see these boys play in a starting spot than off the bench.
To many quality players to fit into 1 team , interesting discussions for the selectors.
Do they go for the kids that are committed to rugby?
Time will tell.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
anyone got an idea on the GPS forward pack this year ??

Stab in the dark, would say the front row contenders could be:
1. Goldsmith (K)
2. Robinson (J)
3. Botha (S)
4. Bokenham (J) (been playing 8 though)

Loosies - I like the look of:

6. O'Kane (J)
7. ? Youngster from Scots???
8. Brial (S)

Haven't seen much of View, Cass Clinton showed promise last season, might be some others as they have a strong side.

The backs - this is so tough, my shot:
9. Albert
10. Gibbs
11. Koula
12. Penisini
13. Sua'ali'i/O'Brien
14. Zucchiati
15. Connolly

Notorious

Frank Row (1)
Strongest Possible Backline in my opinion

9. Lachlan Albert (St Ignatius) Australian u18 Barbarians
10. John Connolly (The Kings School) Australian Schoolboys
11. Tolu Koula (Newington College) u18 Australian 7s
12. Villiami Penisini (The Kings School) u18 NSW Origin side
13. Kaeo Weekes (Newington College) u18 Australian 7s
14. Ben Zucchiati (Scots College) GPS Blue
15. Joseph Sua'ali'i (The Kings School) Combined States

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS is spoilt for high quality backs

I like Notorious's backline ... but then it doesn't include Joeys Gibbs (10) or Dan O'Brien (13)

and then Chan (12) and Kaanan (11) aren't too shabby either. Then you have the Scots 12 ...Rugless

put it this way the GPS 2nds will destroy everyone ... and that is coming from a CAS supporter

Notorious

Frank Row (1)
I don't see Gibbs making the team over Connolly, If Connolly were to move to 15, a lot of player's will be out of position.

Dan O'Brien is not as skilful as Kaeo Weekes. Weekes, Tolu Koula and Jordan Williams are big standouts in the u18 Aus 7s team.

Nick Chan was dropped to the 2nds last year for the majority of last season. Don't see him making, Weekes is faster and Penisini is stronger.

Zucchiati has been in Scots 1st for 3 years in a row. However, Kanaan does stand's a fair chance. In my opinion, experience will be the key factor for selection.

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
GPS is spoilt for high quality backs

I like Notorious's backline . but then it doesn't include Joeys Gibbs (10) or Dan O'Brien (13)

and then Chan (12) and Kaanan (11) aren't too shabby either. Then you have the Scots 12 .Rugless

put it this way the GPS 2nds will destroy everyone . and that is coming from a CAS supporter

Its just going to be to hard to get this right in the backline , split them up in preferred positions.
GPS 2 correct will be a massacre if the backs get good ball.
Zucchiati, Rugless and Penisini for mine in the 2nds
Obrien, Weekes , Koula, Connolly , Sua'ali'i and Albert must all be there , pick a 10 that compliments.

Good Luck!

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Oh and add Mosmann into the mix also !

Common mistake to forget someone amongst the talent on offer Tap N Go. I forgot Kaeo Weekes and Mossman in my lineup.

Mossman is a very very good player. Amazing boot, kicks them from anywhere and a very skillful fullback. However, I've noticed that when he is frustrated or teams shut him down, he is half the player he can be. Joeys put pressure on him and he seemed flustered and frustrated and almost trying too hard to create things.

I believe if Jack Mossman can keep his cool, he is a very very good player. Where he fits in amongst all these players - who knows. We've seen blokes go from CAS 2's to Aus Schoolboys in the past (Knox flyhalf 2017 Tom Woodcock), so wouldn't be surprised if this happens to a few of the GPS lads this year!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
To begin with I wish to formally apologize to those who were offended by a comment I made in the CAS thread.
I am now on my last strike, last chance, final straw....so I must watch my "p's" and "q's"
a BIG THANK to those who kept in touch and showed support
Now....what did I miss?

32p85v.jpg

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Strongest Possible Backline in my opinion

9. Lachlan Albert (St Ignatius) Australian u18 Barbarians
10. John Connolly (The Kings School) Australian Schoolboys
11. Tolu Koula (Newington College) u18 Australian 7s
12. Villiami Penisini (The Kings School) u18 NSW Origin side
13. Kaeo Weekes (Newington College) u18 Australian 7s
14. Ben Zucchiati (Scots College) GPS Blue
15. Joseph Sua'ali'i (The Kings School) Combined States

4 of these boys played for the NSWPSSA team together as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.