• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookerbytrade

Stan Wickham (3)
Morning All,

Interesting to see two of the top QLD GPS schools, Nudgee and BSHS playing the curtain raiser for the Wallabies vs Argentina game. Which begs the question, when will the GPS or CAS come into contention for a curtain raiser for a Sydney game which the Wallabies play?? Obviously this year won't be the case but does it show the QLD schoolboy competition is so highly regarded in the north it deserves this ahead of what many believe is the strongest rugby in the country in the NSW GPS system?? I would be interested to see what everyone thinks of this!!

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Morning All,

Interesting to see two of the top QLD GPS schools, Nudgee and BSHS playing the curtain raiser for the Wallabies vs Argentina game. Which begs the question, when will the GPS or CAS come into contention for a curtain raiser for a Sydney game which the Wallabies play?? Obviously this year won't be the case but does it show the QLD schoolboy competition is so highly regarded in the north it deserves this ahead of what many believe is the strongest rugby in the country in the NSW GPS system?? I would be interested to see what everyone thinks of this!!

Curtain raisers? Bah humbug. Paying spectators would rather watch the main game teams do warm up drills.:rolleyes:

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Morning All,

Id say this is more about getting a crowd for the main event. Remember the crowd last year at the Gold coast. In saying that it does make for a better event overall for the paying customers and is a natural fit. Why not have the women play as well .

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Morning All,

Waratahs did it for a recent game when Kings played Waverley. Boosted the crowd by 3,000 probably.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Waratahs did it for a recent game when Kings played Waverley. Boosted the crowd by 3,000 probably.

and allowed the locals a chance to "souvenir" a few hub caps, wheels and badges.

3368fi.jpg

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks Quick Hands. Here is my preview of the 3rd XV Round 3.

3rd XV Comp - Round 3

Riverview v Kings @ Lane Cove
This is the match of the round for mine, and should be a great curtain raiser for the 1sts and 2nds. The home side has two wins from two matches, but will be tested by a Kings team desperate to stay in touch with the competition leaders. I expect Riverview will prevail in a really close one.

Grammar v TAS @ Rushcutters Bay
Both teams are coming of round two victories and will want to capitalise on their momentum. TAS showed great courage in their close win over Shore last week. Grammar defeated Kings and are probably slight favourites at home. This match could go either way.

Scots v High @ Bellevue Hill
Scots and High are both searching for their first win and this should be a close tussle. High had a promising second half against Joeys last match, while Scots went down narrowly to the undefeated Riverview side. We all know that the Bellevue Hill home field advantage is significant and probably tips the scales in favour of Scots.

Joeys v Shore @ Hunters Hill
On paper this looks to be a tough assignment for Shore. Joeys has defeated TAS and High in consecutive away games, so should be too strong for Shore, especially on #1 at Hunters Hill. Of course these matches often go against the run of form and Shore will be very keen to cause an upset.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
1sts tips for this week:

Newington v Joeys - Tipping a great game, with two fast skilful backlines. Suspect we might see a high-scoring encounter -particularly if the weather is good and field is dry. Joeys in a close one (but I'm not without hope of a Newington win) 5-10

Riverview v Kings - Should be another close one I think. Kings in a close one over a vastly underestimated Riverview. 7-14

Shore v Scots - Tough start to the GPS season for the Shore boys. I'm sure that they'll give it 100%, but Scots have too much fire power from 1-15. Think Scots will win this comfortably. 21 plus

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
1sts tips for this week:

Newington v Joeys - Tipping a great game, with two fast skilful backlines. Suspect we might see a high-scoring encounter -particularly if the weather is good and field is dry. Joeys in a close one (but I'm not without hope of a Newington win) 5-10

Riverview v Kings - Should be another close one I think. Kings in a close one over a vastly underestimated Riverview. 7-14

Shore v Scots - Tough start to the GPS season for the Shore boys. I'm sure that they'll give it 100%, but Scots have too much fire power from 1-15. Think Scots will win this comfortably. 21 plus

Going to disagree with you this week Quick Hands.
Home team advantage coming into play.

Newington over Joeys by 6 - A devastating start for the Joeys faithful.
Riverview over Kings by 10 - Riverview the dark horse of the pre season. Kings failing to live up to expectation.
And.....Shore over Scots by............nah....only joking.............Scots by 30.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Riverview over Kings by 10 - Riverview the dark horse of the pre season. Kings failing to live up to expectation.
And...Shore over Scots by....nah..only joking.....Scots by 30.

I'm happy to go with your tips Wristy. :) Hopefully the weather is kind and we get a big crowd and a great game at Stanmore. 15As and 16As both on the main field so I'm prepared for a full day of rugby with an 8am arrival and a 4.30pm departure. 15As should also be a cracking game. Joeys 16As are a great side and Newington are getting closer but they have a mountain to climb.

100% agree that Riverview are the dark horse.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)

Boy oh boy! Controversial! The Joeys lads may have a bit to say about this! But...I'm inclined to agree. Newington are more than capable of causing an upset. Joeys are a very clinical side but I believe if the Newington lads wake up on the right side of the bed and come out firing at Joeys, they are a more than capable.

Riverview vs Kings is very very interesting. Will tell us so much about this season, whether Kings are the real deal, or whether Riverview truly are very underrated.

Scots by 50 over Shore.

I feel like we'll say this every week, but these first fixtures could have a huge impact on this whole season. Mouthwatering stuff lads.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Oh my....what a season that dawns upon us. Like fresh bread that has been left on the kitchen bench to cool, a smell of promised joy wafts across the kitchens in the GPS. New, old and imported coaches have been spending the off season preparing fresh ideas, new possibilities, exciting recipes for success. All that is now required is the sous chefs with their loyal band of kitchen hands to put it all in place. The season ahead brings as well so much potential of mirth and merriment for the supporters and punters who make their ways to hallowed grounds of their respective fields. Here too, in the greener keyboard pastures of G&G, we now find ourselves prepped and ready, balls pumped, ovals freshly chalked and sarcasms finely sharpened for season 2019 to begin.

Some fearless predictions.... PART ONE

Scots will beat their chest harder than Tarzan on a roid rage bender after they win the first two games. Nothing like early success to create a sense of manifest destiny that the Dark Lord Lambert believes that he will sweep all before them and the minions of middle earth will cower in his shadow. Scots have the potential to win the title but will Brian Smiths players learn how to handle the kicking game that undid them in 2018. They like to face up to the challenge and use blunt force trauma to smash their way through and smash opponents. But, as a pack of smaller cattle dogs showed in 2018, a slick back line with a perchance for changing angles, subtle kicks and willingness to turn the slower beasts causes real havoc with the Uruk-hai lines of defense.

3397do.jpg

Riverview will of course live up to their reputation of being the Looney Tunes of Lane Cove. Such fun and such joy they bring to the game with their incessant drums, incomprehensible chants and their over inflated egos that take up the most of the grandstand. Riverview love to be seen as the Dark Horses and this will not change. Last season they were beaten at the death by the runaway Joeys boys who had night vision goggles fitted at half time to allow them to see the final kick off as it came down from the twilight sky. View will fancy their chances this season, not only with the check out girls at Woolworths of Lane Cove, but on the field. A team based on mystery and guile I am told and one that will test all before them. Depth may be the issue so they hoping for a fit season ahead and plenty of recovery chicken burgers and quinoa milkshakes.

3397i7.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
PART 2

Newington have decided that this year will be there's. Nothing new in that. This is what happens when you have nothing else to boast about other than excellent academic results and some of the best Greek feta cheese in Sydney. Newington though do have a back line which will make many a physio happy when they see potential patients being run over by these Pacific warriors. They will be well backed up by some well fed forwards, all primed on the kebabs that are being pumped out by the shops at Stanmore. Johnson field is a proudly defended patch BUT will they be smart to adapt their game plan? Many have picked Newington based on the side of the muscles in the arms and legs. It is the muscle between the ears that will be tested as smaller teams now know ways to skip past a hulking Newington defender.

3397my.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Kings, like Joeys, have a sense of "ok we shared it last season, but this year it is all ours." The loss to Joeys will not have made much of a difference as they accept a loss in a trial game like pimples. They are annoying, they do ruin your chance with the girls but ultimately they are a part of life. Kings have excitement machines all over the ground this season and not just in the student car parks. The forwards will be key. They are built in the traditional Kings mold of BIG, FIT and BRUTAL but can be slow towards the back end of a game. They must blow teams away early like Scots did in 2018, BUT do not not fall into the trap of bringing them off too early. They must learn to run for 70 minutes rather than let a fast finishing team bring them down like a pride of lions to an elephant.

3397uq.jpg

Shore. Oh my.....how does one talk them up. Well, they will continue to walk through this Valley of Death. They refuse to concede and refuse to walk away from the 1st XV competition. They will find their way back I am sure. In the meantime, they will keep some teams honest early. I think should take a victory lap if they win the toss at the start of the game. They still have the best coffee, most consistent pie, friendliest faces in the canteen and polite students. While this is all well and good, I think Shore should change up the pies, produce crap coffee and have the students play with a bit more mongrel. Nice guys never finish first it seems and I think "the nice guy" image needs a rethink. Till then, I will a flat white, curry pie and smile please.

339800.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
h9kuXU31zdQcm3OiGA0C6D6azD7zSg_TCQKL9Sh1UNtrzzU48wam9ZQXIpofhltD1l49n6NnRXIQLDBfy_kctii8cTANXNBDzldlvPc18xfLz9btbyEgAJqAFMywlxW_Ef2hs4OfhpF41dkuso13787HlklFkZP21YtjIzOWieUS9E0rAixiNoBhkUI=s0-d-e1-ft

Joeys will be thinking after last season last minute heroics that it will happen again. I am not so sure., Last season it took a wicked bounce of the ball and night vision googles to find the shield back in it second home. If the ball had not bounced at the wicked right angle as it did in Bellevue then all would be different. But, it did. Luck is made and not given. Joeys found a way in 2018 to despite all being against them including the football posts in Lane Cove. Will they do it again? They have a back line that is fast, fit and deceptive and a 10 who will point them well around the field. It will though the forwards and whether they can stand up to the bigger packs of Newington, Kings and Scots. Smart rugby was played last season. Lets see if they still have this within them.

Wicked bounce....but I do love this so.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)

Love it Wristman.
Yes I believe Riverview will give Kings a real nudge at Lane Cove.
And while the Shore support is always brilliant from the Hawker Stand at Northbridge, Scots should be too powerful.
I will be on the hill at Johnson Oval for another cliffhanger as Joeys kicks a penalty goal to win on full time.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Love it Wristman.
Yes I believe Riverview will give Kings a real nudge at Lane Cove.
And while the Shore support is always brilliant from the Hawker Stand at Northbridge, Scots should be too powerful.
I will be on the hill at Johnson Oval for another cliffhanger as Joeys kicks a penalty goal to win on full time.

Or Newington misses a match winning conversion right in front of the goal posts. Surely, it can't happen again. ItsNotPink, don't forget to try the Big Newie, as a previously mentioned its a cardiologist's nightmare.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Or Newington misses a match winning conversion right in front of the goal posts. Surely, it can't happen again. ItsNotPink, don't forget to try the Big Newie, as a previously mentioned its a cardiologist's nightmare.
Yes Black&White, surely it can't happen again! I will be at the front of the line for the Big Newie on Saturday. Good luck to all the boys playing.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Fearless predictions for Round 1.

Newington V Joeys
The only certainty from this game is that I shall be lining up for the "Big Newie" burger. This game pits two stellar back lines against one another. What it will come down to is the work of the forwards. Newington will dominant set pieces I feel, but Joeys more nimble, smaller forwards will pinch the Newington pockets at the breakdown. Fortress Johnson is always a daunting task and I would hate to see it come down to kicks, but the last two years it has. The odds are short that it will again. Joeys by 6.

Riverview v Kings
Many have picked Kings as pre-season favorites and rightfully so. View though are the great unknown and you neever know what you will pull from the oven till its done. At home, View are dangerous and play with confidence. Kings though do travel well and would fancy an early win to start the season. I feel that Kings have too many guns to at their disposal and will use them well against a brave, willing Riverview. Kings by 10

Shore v Scots
Shore have nothing to lose. Once again they face the AAGPS season knowing they will be the whipping boy for all other schools. Shore will be brave as always and will never give up. What they will focus on is finding the smaller victories within the game. They will try and contain Scots and even look for ways to turn them on their heels. The battle of car park will as always be fiercely fought with the Bellevue Buses taking on the North Shore tractors Picnic baskets at 10 paces. Scots will win, but will lose some skin along the way. Scots by 30.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
As we head into the season proper, it makes me think of which ground would be the best to play on. HH is probably the most intimidating but not aesthetically pleasing (the sheds could probably do with an upgrade as well). Shore and Kings are picturesque but still cricket fields. Scots looks like a poor man's (metaphorically speaking of course) Knox 1.(I can hear you typing Rob)
So I reckon it must be out of Riverview and the Johnson at Newington. New would probably get the nod with the steeper closer bank giving a better view for the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.