• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think O'Brien is a chance
Weekes
Albert , not sure of his situation via Canberra, Victoria, Adelaide and South Africa oh and the Cavaliers he has many pathways.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Not kidding. The Sydney diocese of the Anglican church is different from the rest of the Church in Australia, people are promoted and/or appointed these days on the basis of religious affiliation first and foremost.
Shore employs based on religious grounds - I have seen it first hand. So I agree and think it’s a major problem. Shore’s long waiting list makes the school think it can do whatever it likes - big egos! As a parent paying high fees, I would like them to hire the best teachers and coaches available regardless of religion. However, this is just a characteristic of Shore. Riverview and joeys are also controlled by religion. One way to look at this is look at the composition of the school boards. At Shore, 11/16 directors need to clergy/religious. Kings does not appear as heavily weighted at 6/18. I would like to know the board composition at joeys and Riverview but I’m expecting the clergy weighting to be very high if not 100%.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Enrolments are a huge problem for Shore. Demand far outstrips supply for a finite number of positions. No matter who the registrar is they won't be able to solve the problem. Technically sons of OBs get till the boy's 1st birthday to apply, but all this does is put them ahead of the sons of non-OBs - problem being that the positions are already filled by the sons of other OBs before that point.

It again illustrates the problem of unbalanced enrolments - Grammar's enrolment policy caused many OBs to send their sons elsewhere as the school demographics changed to the extent that the student body doesn't reflect wider society. Shore's issue is the exact opposite in that it's difficult for anyone other than the sons of OBs to get in, this also leads to a student body which doesn't reflect wider society.

They have over a 90% sons of OB population but much of the anglo demographic that they draw on are now affiliated with soccer or Aussie Rules.

Shore’s student body certainly does not reflect society. However, this is also the case for View, Joeys and Scots. The diversity at Kings, New, grammar, high and to a lesser extent Knox, Barker and others, has been increasing for a long time now.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Just on the Shore thing, many parents like that it has become more academic as well in the last 20 odd years. The soon to be leaving Headmaster had a lot to do with this and think its a good thing. Sport and winning became less of a focus and is more on getting all kids academic results heading north. My kids dont go there, long story, though know plenty of parents who do and did not necessarily go there themselves. They wanted their son to attend for this very reason. Personally, I reckon some of these Headmasters are on an ego trip when they think parachuting kids into the top teams brings kudos. The opposite happens as kids who could have been in the top team miss out. Its not everything if the top team wins all the time. It's everything if your child doesn't participate, enjoy and do their best. MR

The academics at Kings and Knox are now up with Shore and Kings were equal rugby premiers last year so it’s not a trade off. But 3 players in the kings team were recruited in the early high school years. All schools are recruiting across many sports and academics including Shore. I know of 2 instances where Shore offered positions to rugby players both in year 10 and both front rowers interestingly. One also got offered a spot at joeys and took that over Shore and one stayed at the public school. The common belief that Shore doesn’t recruit is wrong. It tries to recruit in rugby, maybe less so than others, but is unsuccessful. It successfully recruits in other sports and academics.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Shore’s student body certainly does not reflect society. However, this is also the case for View, Joeys and Scots. .

No.

Personally, in the SJC College Magazine of my final year at SJc there were 16 Seetos, 12 Chans, 8 Wongs and numerous other Asian names. The first Joeys 1st XV Asian player to win was P. Wong in 1965. The current 1st XV has a Chan. Joeys has had a strong relationship with PNG for 50 years. You can go back through the 1st XV for many years and find Asian or PNG boys who played at a high level. Joeys does not simply rely on big, strong country bots, it relies on the "tradition".

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
66438596_392402964968188_5194641804959416320_n.png

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
HATS OFF to all the boys, and a special mention to Joeys, and absolutely outstanding effort to have sooo many boys chosen!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
HATS OFF to all the boys, and a special mention to Joeys, and absolutely outstanding effort to have sooo many boys chosen!

Considering they had NONE in 2018 and won the premiership. The Joeys backs today (10, 12, 13 and 11) were slick. O'Brien was my choice for player of the tournament.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Considering they had NONE in 2018 and won the premiership. The Joeys backs today (10, 12, 13 and 11) were slick. O'Brien was my choice for player of the tournament.

We only saw today's game, so can't comment on the whole tournament.
In today's game I thought NSW 1 were far superior to a rather poor QLD team.

Standouts were in the NSW backs, the forwards were solid and gave the backs good service.
My MOM today was Lachlan Albert hands down/brilliant, closely followed by Gibbs, both joeys centres, and I was told by Bolivia to watch Kaeo Weeks for speed. He is so fast I am still looking for him!

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
In 2019 the Australian Schools and U18 team announcement will be after the final academy game in September prior to the scheduled New Zealand tour.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
No Kings , Scots , Waverley boys I see - who have been toward the top of the tree in their respective associations over the last couple of years

Status
Not open for further replies.