• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Both teams full strength? What happened to cranbrooks 15 , lamens?

Has shore got a wunderlich? Thought he was meant to be pretty good

Sorry, don't know any of the players.

Cranbrook's 1 and 8 were big boppers who made their presence felt. Memo to the Shore centre - do not stand still, lean backwards, and take a pass simultaneously with an onrushing big boppa collecting you. Shook the grandstand.

A second half replacement in the Cranbrook back line made a lot of ground with strong running.

Shore's strength was a dominant scrum, an effective pick and drive, an inventive back line and great team cohesion especially in defence.

The turning point of the game came close to full time with Shore leading. After Shore inched forward over 30 meters with multiple phases of pick and go, Shore was penalised for holding on with the chalk tantalisingly close. A second penalty quickly followed and Cranbrook used their line out win to storm up the centre for a converted try and a 5 point win.

Another gratuitous memo this time to the ref. Thank you Sir for your time and expertise. Without you the boys don't get a game. However, in future games please look further than a 15 meter radius around the ball. The Cranbrook umbrella defence was swapping HSC study guides with their Shore opponents they were so far in front of the offside line, especially in the first half. If it hadn't been for a shortage of jerseys, they would have been entitled to wear the Shore strip.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seem to remember reading a few pages back about Cranbrook beating Joeys. Can happen to anyone.

That's what school rugby should be about. Any school beating any school on their day.

Be nice if the points difference between more school games was only 1 try. The professional era has put pay to that.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Sorry, don't know any of the players.

The Cranbrook umbrella defence was swapping HSC study guides with their Shore opponents they were so far in front of the offside line, especially in the first half. If it hadn't been for a shortage of jerseys, they would have been entitled to wear the Shore strip.

Best description of 2019....

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
3 ACLs!!! Poor kid... oh well some have no luck

It is like shore is cursed.

I would love to see them beat a gps heavyweight

Ps what has happened to this thread...is it a case that no good match ups this weekend?

Is kings still without their 2 NRL stars? Without them scots should win

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
oh me oh my....sorry I have been away for a few days. Time to stir the pot.
This weekend will see the Marists taking on the Jesuits.
A full preview (well my nonsense anyway) later
But till then...

36b8kh.jpg

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
While most attention will naturally turn this week to Round 3 of the 1st XV and 2nd XV competitions, I have included my preview of the 3rd XV comp for those who are interested.

3rd XV Comp - Round 5

Joeys v Riverview @ Hunters Hill
Finally, the two undefeated teams meet at Hunters Hill in a match that will go a long way towards deciding the 3rd XV premiership. Joeys has defeated TAS, High, Shore and Grammar in the first four rounds, while Riverview has beaten Shore, Scots, Kings and High. This promises to be an absolutely cracking game, so worth getting there early for the 1:00pm kick off.

TAS v High @ Armidale
After a strong away win over Kings, TAS will be very happy to be back home in Armidale without the road trip and will be looking to continue their winning streak against a High team still searching for their first win. TAS trails the competition leaders by only two points and so a win at home will keep them right in the premiership race.

Grammar v Shore @ Rushcutters Bay
Shore claimed their first win with a close 12-10 victory over Scots last round, following their determined effort against Joeys. Grammar are a point ahead of them on the table with a win, a draw and two losses. These teams are very closely matched, so this game should be a really close contest at Rushcutters Bay. Expect another cliff hanger.

Scots v Kings @ Bellevue Hill
Both teams are coming off a loss last round and have had a mixed season so far. They have both played some excellent games, but have been unable to achieve consistency in the opening rounds. This is another match that could go either way, but on balance Scots would have marginal favouritism at Bellevue Hill.

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
oh me oh my..sorry I have been away for a few days. Time to stir the pot.
This weekend will see the Marists taking on the Jesuits.
A full preview (well my nonsense anyway) later
But till then.

36b8kh.jpg

Riverview vs Joeys - Riverview by 15 , and turn this comp on its head yet again .......

Newington vs Shore - New by 14 , Shore to put the wind up Newington after the holidays , Weeks and Koula to fast and will steal the game in the last 20 minutes.

Kings vs Scots - Sua'ali'i to carve up the lads from Bellevue Hill, Alan Jones to take Mr Smith to the emergency room as a precaution , later to be cleared.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Riverview vs Joeys - Riverview by 15 , and turn this comp on its head yet again ...

Newington vs Shore - New by 14 , Shore to put the wind up Newington after the holidays , Weeks and Koula to fast and will steal the game in the last 20 minutes.

Kings vs Scots - Sua'ali'i to carve up the lads from Bellevue Hill, Alan Jones to take Mr Smith to the emergency room as a precaution , later to be cleared.

Some fanciful punts there TapnGo.
Alas I fear it will be more of the same pointing to a Joeys/ Scots showdown of the unbeaten on the final weekend.
I'm sure Joker will back me on this.....
Joeys by 12
New by 30
Scots by 15
Is Sua'ali'i fit and playing? I thought I'd read he was out for the season. He is a threat but he can't carry the team on his own.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Oh my, what a feast we have here this weekend. After a small break where we enjoyed the fun and frivolities of the Aussie Championships, we now find ourselves back into our tribal corners ready to lay siege upon one another. Well that is what would happen in the old days. We are now a more mellow bunch. We have gone from a nasty cheap beer to a more aged 24 year ol scotch This weekend will provide for us the best test yet and plenty will be at stake. Here are my fearless and irreverent predictions.

Scots V Kings
While both schools have some form, I dare say Scots were lucky with their recent win against View. A foot stuck out by the halfback, led to a wonderful run and a possible foot on the sideline. In these modern times you make you own luck and Scots did this It was a cracker of a game but it did show some frailties in the Scots backline. Kings were humbled by the Island Warriors last time out but this is nothing to be ashamed of. Newington have a nasty habit of beating Kings but then losing the un-loseable game soon after. Kings will hopefully be fully stocked with firepower in the backs, BUT I still feel deep down, the Scots boys will be inspired by playing in fortress Bellevue. Shall be a tight one, just like the Scots mother dresses, but I can see Scots getting home by 7.

36deeu.jpg

Newington v Shore
Do you ever remember when at school there was always this small kid who never backed down? Each day he would stand up to the bully and even though he coped aa beating, he kept coming for more? This is for me what make Shore so good. They stand up each weekend knowing that they will get a hiding but harboring deep down the desire to one day "tip the giant". Shore has a very disciplined forward pack and cause the Joeys cattle dogs some concern. If they focus on what they do best, keep it real simple and JUST DON'T BLOODY KICK the ball away, they may have chance of out lasting the Newington warriors. God I am sure has looked down upon his puritan lads and maybe, JUST maybe, they will do the impossible. My head says Newington by 30, deep down my heart says "please Lord, just once, send some Love once to the Shoremen"

36ddxs.jpg

Joeys vs View
The annual grudge match where God decides who is the truer faith. Marists got the chocolates last year in dramatic fashion and it was all based upon daring and chance, View will have had that final moment video shown to them many times as it would remind them NOT TO SWITCH OFF. Joeys though this year have the NSW back line as their greatest weapon. The Joeys 10, 12 and 13 were dynamic and will provide a handful, but it is revelation of the forwards that will be key. View have the best half in the comp by far. Outdistancing pass and great read of the game. He will need help though to overcome a side that will be brimming with spirit and strength. I myself will be at the game BUT will be partying most it with classmates of mine who are holding a significant reunion number. (God I feel old) Look for the loud loon at Jacks after the match and say hello. Joeys by 15.

36decm.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Tell us what you're wearing and we'll find you. And don't say a supporters' cap.:mad:

Blue OAKLEY sunglasses and big bloody smile. Our reunion is not doing those cap things. I have already been "outed" by two people here who have been most kind to keep the identity secret. I know how Batman feels.

36fyws.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Its almost Friday and this place has been quiet as.....hello?
Black&White, Rob, Inside, Balmain S? anyone?

f032fbbf9df8d61a62bc0249a42389c175d56d3a.gif

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I can't post Waverley team as don't want to help Cranners

but here is Scots team:
Wiggan
Moore
Botha
Hansen
Bedingfield
Aveyard
Clifton
Brial
Adams
Savala
Kalokalo
Rugless
Wong
Ricci
Mossman

only major ommission is the winger ....Zucchiatti

PS Is Suali and/or Pensini back?
PS2 Shame they don't do a double header ... Scots game before or after Waverley game

... as if Kings back to full strength ... game at Bellevue Hill could be a goodie. Yummy mummies also an added perk :)

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Would love to see my alma mater claim a victory over Joeys this weekend, but I'm just not sure if I like their chances. Riverview have a strong side, I disagree that they're overrated sorry Joker, but I do believe Joeys will have them by 5 this weekend.

But the rugby over the holidays can lead some boys in a few different directions. Firstly, for the rep footy with Australian champs etc, it can make them tired and run down, or they can come back twice the player with having that experience, excited to tear up the comp. Secondly, it can make them neglect their training and become unfit from too much sitting around studying or going out too much and not enough fitness work, or they could put in the hard yards over the break and come back firing and ready to go.

Will be interesting to see if the break causes any of these changes in players or teams, I pick Joeys by 5, Newington by 30, and Scots by 12. Unfortunately Kings without Sua'ali'i and Penisini lose their stellar backline everyone feared at the beginning of the season, sad for them but they'll give the huge Scots team a great challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.