• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yes, the scared "triple stripe".
Ok, I have had a quick flick through the College Magazines and found that in FACT 1957 was the final year the second XV used the triple stripe. It had been used for many years before.

Here is the 1956 2nd XV (we know it was used in 1957) Note there is only ONE lad with a crest. Was he dropped? The 1st XV always had crests on their jerseys.

67605382_478830369359167_1867373109384839168_n.jpg

Here is the 1958 2nd XV (no triple stripe..note they did not win the premiership that year..just saying)

67767694_478830392692498_733538211808149504_n.jpg
Bit of a power play wearing a 1s jersey in a 2s photo.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
That was a good win, but I'm not sure that a 2 point win in a 15A game is the basis for a rugby revival. Newington had their best player out injured and 4 of the 15A boys who are in Year 10 have moved up to the 16As this year so all of their games have been closer. So a third of the team which hadn't lost a game in the past two years weren't playing.

Yes, I was at the game and Shore played a very good forwards game, using tactical kicking to gain territory and to keep the Ball away from the New Backs. As mentioned in my review of this game, Shore deserved to be winners as their forwards starved Newington of the ball. But there was nothing specular about the win. It was intelligent, well drilled forward Play. Where Shore did impress me was their passion and commitment to win this game. And the boys certainly enjoyed the win. And it does present a light at the end of tunnel for Shore.

But even with a small amount of the ball, the Newington backline displayed superior pace and style. In this matter it reminded of some England's wins over Australia at Test Level. Play it tight, use lots of set pieces, have a good determined defence and attack through the forwards when close to the Defence. Shore did this with precision and determination.

It was an excellent match plan. And I hope Shore win the 15As competition. But, there are notable limitations to Shore's 15As as a team. If they are truly going to challenge, this age group of Newington Players in the years ahead. They will need to play a more expansive game, through their Backline.

It was a brutal warning to this age group of Newington players that, easy wins are going to be a thing of the Past. Newington will require more grit in their forwards and the backs will have to be more creative with reduced amounts of ball.

I feel in the years ahead these two teams, could be powerful forces in GPS Rugby in 2022.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joeys definitely put some serious prestige into their 1st xv jersey

To make the joeys 1st Xv photo I would be curious to know the requirements

For example I know one of my cousins played half a season at a cas school
And he was in picture and the person he displaced (who played the first half of the season) was also in the pic

If he was at joeys would he have made the pic? And how about the kid dropped midseason?

R

RuggerFan1

did anyone make it up to TAS last weekend for their 125 celebrations?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
For your interest. I came across this image of what Joeys was supposed to be like.
It was taken from the 1888 "College Day" record.

68744364_478950826013788_4474905981658071040_n.jpg

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Are we certain? Yee of little faith.
I have access to the College magazines and old school records deep in the bowels of the College.
Last night I dug these out.

Joeys in 1957 were undefeated in all games from 1st Xv to 3rd XV.
In the 1st XV Jim McCann scored 21 tries in 7 competition matches. (still a GPS record). This team was the third championship team (undefeated, NO DRAWS) in three years.

The 1957 Joeys 1st XV scored 49 tries without having a try registered against them.

Here are the championship winning teams of 1957.

67750299_478630076045863_1888496213813100544_n.jpg

67804374_478630099379194_3433462685386145792_n.jpg

67919616_478630109379193_671306970367524864_n.jpg

This 3rds team included my Maths teacher Mr Tony "Spud" Lantry. Who was the very first lay teacher (non Brother) to teach at the College.
Well done Joker and thank you for the comprehensive response.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Joeys definitely put some serious prestige into their 1st xv jersey

To make the joeys 1st Xv photo I would be curious to know the requirements

For example I know one of my cousins played half a season at a cas school
And he was in picture and the person he displaced (who played the first half of the season) was also in the pic

If he was at joeys would he have made the pic? And how about the kid dropped midseason?

Two points - (a) since Br Henry's day it's been Joeys practice to select the 1st XV before the first comp game and stick with it. Only injury-forced changes were made.
(b) to make the team photo you had to have played at least 3 games (my understanding from vague recollection - could be wrong). It was not unusual for Joeys 1st XV photos to have 16 in it. A quick random scan: 1964 (15), 1965 (16), 1966 (16), 1967 (16), 1968 (15), 1969 (15), 1970 (15), 1971 (15).

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Two points - (a) since Br Henry's day it's been Joeys practice to select the 1st XV before the first comp game and stick with it. Only injury-forced changes were made.
That would be one tough selection criterion to enforce during a 10-round premiership when 2nd XV players were having blinders over several weeks.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Tips for the weekend:
In the main game.
Joeys lead by 16 at half time.
Joeys lead by 11 with 10 minutes to go
Joeys lead by 6 with 2 minutes to go
Scots win by 1.......and the crowd on the far side of the pitch go wild as the tears nearside begin to flow!
You heard it here first:)

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Tips for the weekend:
In the main game.
Joeys lead by 16 at half time.
Joeys lead by 11 with 10 minutes to go
Joeys lead by 6 with 2 minutes to go
Scots win by 1...and the crowd on the far side of the pitch go wild as the tears nearside begin to flow!
You heard it here first:)
Nobody would bet against you Wristman.
No lead is safe from the Scots 1st XV.
Just ask Riverview, Kings, Newington...
Should be a great day and looking forward to every minute.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Just to help the build up, lets step into the "wayback" machine (youngsters have no idea of what this was) and relive the greatest Scots Vs Joeys game in history. I give you...
67778907_479346815974189_1645298131673284608_n.jpg

Patrick Hunt came into the side as inside centre, Mark Murphy moving to outside centre. Glenn Nelson played in the seconds. The game was an important one. A win to Scots, it can now be seen, would have meant joint premierships for St. Joseph's, Scots, and Shore; the win for St. Joseph's enabled them to complete the season premiers and champions. The game proved to be one of the most exciting and most memorable seen for many years.

From the kick off, Farrell was injured by a hard knock and took some minutes to recover. Scots were winning the lineouts, having an advantage in height, but St. Joseph's were dominating scrums and mauls. Farrell was winning lineout ball at the back; when Scots No. 5 was sent to mark him, McEwen won three lineouts at No. 4. First score was a penalty to Scots. 0-3. Although Scots won the ball frequently from lineouts, they were unable to penetrate, and were content to kick. Fallon, McEwen and Ryan fielded the high ball with assurance. Scots were enjoying territorial advantage, and a field goal brought the score to 0-6. Penalties were going against St. Joseph's, and another penalty goal was kicked. 0-9.

St. Joseph's began the second half confident that they could win despite the halftime score of 0-9. St.Joseph's forwards were clearly superior and were playing the best rugby of the season. In the fourth minute the first of seven tight heads for the half were won by Irvine. From one of them Tonkin broke down the short side, and combined with O'Hearn and Shields in a movement that covered 80 metres and was never more than five metres from touch. The first try came when O'Hearn took a difficult pass above his head and scored twelve metres from touch. 4-9, with eighteen minutes to go. At this stage and for the remainder of the match the sustained cheering of a new cry, "Never give up!" urged the St. Joseph's team to greater efforts, although victory was beginning to appear impossible as the minutes passed.

Irvine won another tight head; O'Grady moved up field and passed to O'Hearn who ran sixty metres past two defenders. He sent the ball to Murphy who had the try line wide open before him, but the referee ruled a forward pass. Facer then figured in another move which looked like scoring. From a scrum Farrell crashed over the try line from the base of the scrum, but the referee ruled the ball not correctly grounded.

With twelve minutes to go the cry of "Never give up!" became more intense. Hunt crossed the try line under the posts only to be recalled. The minutes were ticking away. St. Joseph's were now getting a glut of possession as the ball moved across the field through the backs and up the field through the forwards. A line out formed fifteen metres from the Scots line. The ball was thrown to Farrell who set up a maul. Shields fed the ball to Tonkin on the short side who scored. A good kick for conversion by Ryan just failed. 8-9, with only five minutes to play. Scots kicked the ball deep into St. Joseph's territory. Good anticipation by McEwen won the ball from a maul. Fallon passed to Tonkin who in a brilliant run took play to Scots' quarter line. A minute left to play, and the cheer continued, "Never give up!" A scrum was won by St. Joseph's; Fallon passed to Tonkin. Wisely deciding that he must attempt a field goal rather than a try, he steadied himself, thirty metres out and twelve metres from touch, took aim and kicked. The field goal was never in doubt as the ball sailed between the posts with the full-time siren sounding.

The excitement of the crowd when they realized that St. Joseph's had won 11-9 in the last seconds of the match was something rarely if ever seen on the ground before.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
An oldie but a goodie. Many thanks to my mate who made this.

67874704_479343042641233_6111961349535825920_n.jpg
True perhaps but only have to go back a few years to a 50 point beating at Bellevue Hill............Less of a back down that year, more of a fall down!

Oh.... and Joker before you go to the history books, fully aware of the longer term stats from a time when rugby jerseys were heavy cotton, props weighed 12 stone and the forwards had long metal studs in their ankle high boots.
It's a safe space for the Joeys faithful....I know...
If you must look at stats happy for you to summarise the numbers for the lycra, skin tight jersey era ...............say from 2013.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
True perhaps but only have to go back a few years to a 50 point beating at Bellevue Hill....Less of a back down that year, more of a fall down!

Oh.. and Joker before you go to the history books, fully aware of the longer term stats from a time when rugby jerseys were heavy cotton, props weighed 12 stone and the forwards had long metal studs in their ankle high boots.
It's a safe space for the Joeys faithful..I know.
If you must look at stats happy for you to summarise the numbers for the lycra, skin tight jersey era .....say from 2013.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.