• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Up and In

Allen Oxlade (6)
Fair enough, Cyclo, but hope it's ok to add this: privilege is not necessarily a financial measurement, as assumed here by some. Dictionary definitions will support this. I'm privileged to be married to my wife but it doesn't mean I have a lot of money. I was privileged to attend my school (therefore I was a privileged kid) because it was a great school (and my single mother made similar sacrifices to those objectors on this forum). Therefore, B&W and Joker, you were privileged kids because you were lucky enough to attend 2 great schools, regardless of how you managed to get there.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Fair enough, Cyclo, but hope it's ok to add this: privilege is not necessarily a financial measurement, as assumed here by some. Dictionary definitions will support this. I'm privileged to be married to my wife but it doesn't mean I have a lot of money. I was privileged to attend my school (therefore I was a privileged kid) because it was a great school (and my single mother made similar sacrifices to those objectors on this forum). Therefore, B&W and Joker, you were privileged kids because you were lucky enough to attend 2 great schools, regardless of how you managed to get there.

Hello Up and In and Cyclo

My final say before Rugby talk

Can't argue with your interpretation, that we benefitted from a privilege education. That is why my parents as well as many others made so many sacrifices. My point, however, is the common misconception, that we were privileged in terms of family wealth, power and influence. Very few families were privileged in this regard. Sorry Cyclo but that needed to said.

The word ,however, in my time at Newington, was "Opportunity". We were given a wonderful opportunity. Which included some excellent Rugby Coaching, that benefitted me in playing University College Rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Newington (without athletes) are playing Grammar at Weigall on Saturday.

First time playing Grammar for most of the boys as TAS play in the Newington slot for 3rds, 5ths and corresponding age group matches.

Unfortunately no spectators still.

I understand that Joeys will be playing St Augustine's at HH.

R

RuggerFan1

How strange Rugger.
My information came from the former TSC Director of Sport who moved to Cranbrook in 2014.
I am happy to be corrected with facts and figures.

1. How much are external coaches paid per hour?
2. Where do these coaches come from? Prep-Seniors as well please
3. What is the attendance policy for 1st Xv games?

Lovely to hear Scots go down to the 10ths this year.
This makes good sense since the school is now quite massive with numbers.
1200+ now in the Senior campus

I can’t speak for the prep, but I’m looking at the team lists now. Every single coach on the team lists is either:

1. A teacher
2. An old boy

As for the students numbers, that’s only 200 per year group same as most other schools.

Please stop spreading false info.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)

First time playing Grammar for most of the boys as TAS play in the Newington slot for 3rds, 5ths and corresponding age group matches.

Joeys are playing St Augustine’s but only age group A and B teams (without those competing in Athletics). The 1st and 2nds aren’t playing this weekend.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
49ze0f.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Has everyone finished their version of Monty Python's Yorkshiremen skit now? Perhaps just talk about rugby? Enough about whose piles of land / buildings / equipment and staff are most virtuous. It paints none of you in a good light, really.

Unfortunately your advice doesn't seem to have been heeded.

RaraTragic

Frank Nicholson (4)

1s and 2s are only training - 3s and below are versing St A

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Schedule for Grammar v Newington at Weigall

Weigall 1
G 14B v N 14B 8.15am
G 14A v N 14A 9.15am
G 16A v N 16B 10.15am
G 2nd v N 2nd squad 11.15am
G 1st v N 1st squad 12.15pm

Weigall 2
G 13A v N 13C 9am
G 15B v N 15B 10am
G 15A v N 15A 11am

NO SPECTATORS. Doubt I'll be able to provide scores, main thing is that the kids are back on the field playing rugby.

NB No athletes playing for Newington (and I would assume same goes for Grammar)

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I would like to explore the strengths of the participating schools in the 14As,15As and 16As.

Starting with the 14As, Scots and Newington were the standout teams in last years13As age groups. Very much a two Horse Race. However, Kings I believe could be real the improvers and stand, I believe to be real obstacles to both these Schools in maintaining their dominance of this age group. Joeys will need some tough love in their training, based on my experience of watching them last year against Newington, they really lacked pace out in their cover defence. The very fast, creative and nimble New Backs found and made holes to score great tries. However, the Joeys boys were strong, determined and improved in the second half to obtain a more creditable effort. I expect them to be big improvers.I missed the View and Shore Games, so I shall not make any comments of their performances. Other that I believe View might be the stronger of the two.

15As, without a doubt, Joeys and Kings lead this age group, I believe Oscar Jorgensen, the Joeys outside centre is a player to watch.

Potential improvers should be Newington and View. Scots Will suffer their usual disruptions from their Glen Garry commitments. But could throw a "Spanner in the Works for the Others. Shore cannot be ruled out for a few good performances. But I feel lack pace in their defence out wide.

The 16As, Newington's dominance over the last three years can be expected to end. As Quick Hands has informed us, that their star players have been promoted to their Open Division. They could struggle, but equally the boys could in the lower grades who get promoted, could adapt their play to a higher standard. New a unknown force this year. Quick Hands I hope your boy enjoys his Rugby in this age group.

Look out for the Shore, to take charge in the 16As other than Newington they have been the next strongest age team. Kings Whom I saw last year against Newington, have improved out of sight. They could now be a force in this age division.

Scots, could also be a unknown force. But I suspect they will be strong. Riverview have taken some heavy defeats, but have the benefit of depth in their age groups.

Joeys, and Joker, I believe your son is in this age group. This team could stand out as I believe some tough love has been applied to this age group. Maybe not the strongest Joeys 16As side, equally, there no such thing as a substandard Joeys A team. Just good and extremely good. A bit like the All Blacks

.If anyone knows about anything about the 13As sides please contribute

Any insights are most welcome.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
What's the form guide for the Athletics tomorrow? Seniors I believe?

Yes Seniors today, Juniors and Intermediate tomorrow.

Not a lot of absolute stand out athletes this year although watch out for the Riverview boy in the opens 400 who set the u16 record last year. Might be a year early for him to set the opens record but he is really strong at this event. There is also an u15 distance runner from Shore who will run opens this year in 3000 and u17 1500 - might not win either but he will likely be close.

Open sprints are anyones with Tolu K out. Likely winner will be from Scots or Shore however Newington have a new sprinter so who knows. Its looking like it will be a fast day today however a 10.9 could win it this year as none of the finalists have recorded consistent sub-11 times despite being capable. Opens 100 is at 1:38.

Kings are strong favourites to clean sweep the u17's sprints. For some reason Kings are running their outstanding u15 sprinter in the division race (?!) however he will run the u15 200 tomorrow so that will be worth watching. u17 100m @ 1:30 today.

Kings will be strong in the distance events and Shot Put will be really closely contested between Scots and View. Jumping events are pretty open as well with Sua'ali'i out - couple of really good jumpers from Joeys in HJ and LJ who are likely to figure prominently.

I think Kings will edge the seniors point score this year however it may comes down to the relays which will be a lottery.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Congrats to Kings on taking the Senior athletics title and nice come from behind win by Scots in the open 4 X 100......always a fun event

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A reasonably enjoyable morning peering through the fence at Weigall. All the games that I saw were evenly matched and I was impressed by the skill level of the Grammar teams. They lack size, but certainly not skill and enthusiasm

From what I saw:
Newington won the 13s game by about 2 tries
Grammar looked like they won the 14As by a try
15Bs looked like a draw
16s game was won by Grammar 1 try to nil

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
A reasonably enjoyable morning peering through the fence at Weigall. All the games that I saw were evenly matched and I was impressed by the skill level of the Grammar teams. They lack size, but certainly not skill and enthusiasm

From what I saw:
Newington won the 13s game by about 2 tries
Grammar looked like they won the 14As by a try
15Bs looked like a draw
16s game was won by Grammar 1 try to nil

Many Thanks Quick Hands, but as alluded to players were absent and I guest this would have impacted on the teams on bth sides,. One would hope the skills mention by you, as demonstrated by Grammar, could be part of a revival of Rugby at Grammar.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Many Thanks Quick Hands, but as alluded to players were absent and I guest this would have impacted on the teams on bth sides,. One would hope the skills mention by you, as demonstrated by Grammar, could be part of a revival of Rugby at Grammar.

I was talking to a mate of mine who has a boy in the 16s at Grammar and they are optimistic about the current 14s and 15s age groups there in particular. I notice that both of those age groups were As on As and Bs on Bs (without athletes).

I think that size would let them down trying to play 1sts, but otherwise I think that their A teams could compete with As or Bs from other schools.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Does anyone know if TAS are coming down for the 3rds competition this year?

I ask because the two country schools in ISA St Stannies and Kinross aren't coming to Sydney to play this year and are playing games against local clubs instead.