• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Brother Joseph

Frank Nicholson (4)
With the influx of members. Are trials too much for these new accounts?

Focus on your studies men.

TDO.

Hello "The Blumpkin Enthusiast", alias "TBE".

Im sure the Grammar boys are fired up from their win, but regarding numbers and lacking depth we will see how they persevere this season as i'm sure they only have 3 teams in the opens squad.

Injuries and the like will test those lower teams to play in the third division.

Irrespective of this, As "B. Joseph" has mentioned they have started their own S&C programs, this will help those boys in the black and gold yet, as all things, like schoolboy rugby, take time.

The programs of S&C take time they wont reap the benefits at an instant, with most GPS schools having their extended opens squad under strict conditions since year 11. Starting a S&C program is too late being this year with their first GPS game this weekend.

Love the enthusiasm from "TBE" and "Br. Joseph", yet it will not be this year.

Possibly in the next decade, they have a large game of catch up to do with the other GPS contenders.

Hope this brings you back to reality.

Appreciate the concerns,

Warmest regards, The Dutch Oven, alias TDO.

It’s an Interesting observation for sure... but I doubt the Grammar sides will lag in strength on the field Relative to their 3rd XV counterparts but rather from a Culture deficit that has visibly been building Over the past few years. (Research the Banana theory previously mentioned by B&W)

Team bonding sessions and higher tier ‘chat’ will be CRUCIAL in order for the team to push For the Col Windon Shield

I hate to be pushy but I’d really appreciate it if anyone could inform me about the Senior shot put results.

Sincerely,

Brother Joe (mama)

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I completely agree,

Shouldn’t they be out on the training paddock, I hear joeys train on Wednesday’s.

Kind regards

The business

Joeys teams train Monday to Friday as there are 40 teams.
"A + B" teams have at least 3 afternoons a week plus morning strength sessions.
Wednesday is the one day of the week every team must train.

Joeys year 7 boys enjoying the afternoon training

1b0886cfc4005ca039cc31b69a72d59f.jpg

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
It’s an Interesting observation for sure. but I doubt the Grammar sides will lag in strength on the field Relative to their 3rd XV counterparts but rather from a Culture deficit that has visibly been building Over the past few years. (Research the Banana theory previously mentioned by B&W)

Team bonding sessions and higher tier ‘chat’ will be CRUCIAL in order for the team to push For the Col Windon Shield

I hate to be pushy but I’d really appreciate it if anyone could inform me about the Senior shot put results.

Sincerely,

Brother Joe (mama)

Apologies for the delay in communication, brother Joe.
Upon research of the AAGPS athletics result, I have found that the winner of the the Shot Put championship was T. Hall from Kings school with a distance of 14.55m, while the winner of the shot put open division was J. Vitanza of The Kings School, with a distance of 13.89m.
Kings are looking more and more ominous for the upcoming season.
Hope this helps.

TME

Brother Joseph

Frank Nicholson (4)
Apologies for the delay in communication, brother Joe.
Upon research of the AAGPS athletics result, I have found that the winner of the the Shot Put championship was T. Hall from Kings school with a distance of 14.55m, while the winner of the shot put open division was J. Vitanza of The Kings School, with a distance of 13.89m.
Kings are looking more and more ominous for the upcoming season.
Hope this helps.

TME

Ah yes thanks TME,
I must say that I’m not too surprised. They’ve dominated that event for a while

Some of the Kings boys are a different breed with their raw strength and size.

Definitely worrying prospect for any opposition forward packs.

Joeboe.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Dear B&W,

I write to you regarding your post above. I was watching the Grammar game on Saturday, and I must say, all evidence points to the contrary of your claims. I want the best for Newington this season, but their young and inexperienced side was dominated by a far more physical and mature Grammar side. If anything, I Grammar are the team to watch this year.

Sincerely,
The Blumpkin Enthusiast
TBE

Hello TBE, nice to be talking to you for the first time.

Fair point TBE, I but I will emphasise the Improvement Factor in such a side, with apparently 12 Players out of the team. I feel that this game may not be representative of the Team. i know that with 150th celebration of schoolboy Rugby, New has been preparing for this year with overseas development tours, If I recall correctly, including an Overseas visit.

But, having witnessed the development of school boy teams, improvement can occur quickly and dramatically. I would rather see Newington at this stage of the year, struggling, knowing that those 12 Players, could well turn it around for the better.

Kind Regards

B&W

Dom ChipnChase

Frank Row (1)
Hello "The Blumpkin Enthusiast", alias "TBE".

Im sure the Grammar boys are fired up from their win, but regarding numbers and lacking depth we will see how they persevere this season as i'm sure they only have 3 teams in the opens squad.

Injuries and the like will test those lower teams to play in the third division.

Irrespective of this, As "B. Joseph" has mentioned they have started their own S&C programs, this will help those boys in the black and gold yet, as all things, like schoolboy rugby, take time.

The programs of S&C take time, they wont reap the benefits at an instant, with most GPS schools having their extended opens squad under strict conditions since year 11. Starting a S&C program is too late being this year with their first GPS game this weekend.

Love the enthusiasm from "TBE" and "Br. Joseph", yet it will not be this year.

Possibly in the next decade, they have a large game of catch up to do with the other GPS contenders.

Hope this brings you back to reality.

Appreciate the concerns,

Warmest regards, The Dutch Oven, alias TDO.

Good Evening, men of calibre.

Tread lightly, Dutch Oven. Word is Grammar rugby has assumed a much more fierce and mung-centric outlook coming into the 2020 season, no doubt a form of spiritual retaliation against the sectarian violence displayed at the 4th XI face off. I must mention a certain prevalence of mass monsters - I’ve heard of front rowers towing buses. A grammar comeback therefore must not be beyond the Pail. Factor in their all-star leadership faculty. Field Marshal Digby and Imcumbent Professor Egan (OAE) to name just a few.
Old school training methods mixed in with cutting-edge sports technology culminates in tibialic health and generally outstanding physical condition.

Pair this with an extensively regimented program of spiritual indoctrination lead by Culture Cheif of Staff Hon. B Dorofaeff, the team plays with a spirit comparable to the great martial Yamoto spirit.

All in all, I would watch out for the Grammar first XV squadron this season. A force to be reckoned with.
Yours truly,
Colonel Chip&Chase

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hammer here.

Looking to get more active as we approach the start of the season (boy am I keen).

I pose a question to all you AAGPS purists.

What is the best AAGPS team to NOT win the premiership in the last 5 years?

My answer you ask? 2016 Iggies, so much potential however they just couldn’t get the job done. I followed closely as one of my nephews was actually in the team (I won’t say his name to save him the embarrassment). With every member of the team playing representative rugby for GPS and several in fact playing for NSW or Combined States, this team had the potential to be one of the best ever. A loss to Scots in the torrential rain and a heartbreaking defeat at the hands of Shore in Northbridge saw this team, who beat Joeys in HH, walk away with nothing but thoughts of what could have been.

Let me know your answers to the question.

Hammer.

Did your nephew go on to play League?

2016 Riverview were the favorites to win it, at least at the beginning of the season. But they got beaten by a better true School team to knock them out of contention.

We used to do a "Class of thread". Where posters could update us on where boys are playing now.

I would like to know is and where these boys are playing now.

I see Tom Silk playing Grade for Gordon. Do you know where others are?

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)

Tread lightly, Dutch Oven. Word is Grammar rugby has assumed a much more fierce and mung-centric outlook coming into the 2020 season, no doubt a form of spiritual retaliation against the sectarian violence displayed at the 4th XI face off. I must mention a certain prevalence of mass monsters - I’ve heard of front rowers towing buses. A grammar comeback therefore must not be beyond the Pail. Factor in their all-star leadership faculty. Field Marshal Digby and Imcumbent Professor Egan (OAE) to name just a few.
Old school training methods mixed in with cutting-edge sports technology culminates in tibialic health and generally outstanding physical condition.

Pair this with an extensively regimented program of spiritual indoctrination lead by Culture Cheif of Staff Hon. B Dorofaeff, the team plays with a spirit comparable to the great martial Yamoto spirit.

All in all, I would watch out for the Grammar first XV squadron this season. A force to be reckoned with.
Yours truly,
Colonel Chip&Chase

CC&C
Welcome to the forum, I notice you’re a new member.
I notice you made a reference to the Japanese general “Yamoto.” While I admire the attempt to liken the spirits of the brave Grammar boys, I hate to bring you crashing back down to earth with the news that General Yamamoto was killed in 1943 in Bougainville Island, Papua New Guinea - before the end of the conflict in the pacific. One would hope that the Grammar 1st [3rd] XV won’t suffer the same fate of a premature death.

Cordially,
TME

Brother Joseph

Frank Nicholson (4)
CC&C
Welcome to the forum, I notice you’re a new member.
I notice you made a reference to the Japanese general “Yamoto.” While I admire the attempt to liken the spirits of the brave Grammar boys, I hate to bring you crashing back down to earth with the news that General Yamamoto was killed in 1943 in Bougainville Island, Papua New Guinea - before the end of the conflict in the pacific. One would hope that the Grammar 1st [3rd] XV won’t suffer the same fate of a premature death.

Cordially,
TME

However TME,

I believe, unless I'm entirely mistaken, that it was Yamoto who said "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
It was then the 1999 Wallabies lineup that first incorporated this doctrine into gameplay, only to be incorporated by every AAGPS and CAS team within 5 years. Simply, any team can do anything they set their minds to (within physical limitations of the dimension we exist in).

Ruling out any team from any school in any competition would be Foolish.

BTW; could we engage in any discussion regarding the 1st XV competition, this isn't the grammar rugby forum.

Brother Joe

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

2016 Riverview were the favorites to win it, at least at the beginning of the season. But they got beaten by a better true School team to knock them out of contention.

We used to do a "Class of thread". Where posters could update us on where boys are playing now.

A very special Old Boys’ Day at Northbridge in 2016.

Of that 2016 View side, Osborne (prop) is playing 1s for Uni, Rorke and Fenn are both playing League, and Terry (13) is playing 2s/3s for Uni

Brother Joseph

Frank Nicholson (4)

Of that 2016 View side, Osborne (prop) is playing 1s for Uni, Rorke and Fenn are both playing League, and Terry (13) is playing 2s/3s for Uni

Didn't Rorke sign a contract with the Canberra Raiders NRL Franchise? do you know what has come of this?

T

The Hammer

Hello Honey Badger,

Yes my nephew did go on to play rugby league and had continued to do so however all this COVID business has seen a halt to the competition he was playing in (Second Grade NRL, NSW Cup). I can provide an update on a couple of players.

Charlie Rorke has recently signed a contract to play rugby union over in France after a brief hiatus playing rugby league.

Will Terry has been playing for Sydney Uni in grade.

Will Smealey is playing grade over at Gordon.

At the moment these are the only updates I can provide, will try and find out some more from my nephew.

Hammer.

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)

Yours truly,
Colonel Chip&Chase

Greetings CC&C, welcome to the forums.

Your creative writing skills are that of a Grammar Boy! Woowee!

Could you please tell me how "front rowers towing busses" will transpose directly to a game of heads up rugby?

Yes they may tow busses, but can they catch a ball instead of a book? Can they react to opposing plays and structures on the field instead of reacting to a maths problem thrown at them?

Yours cordially, TDO.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Firstly, can I extend a warm welcome to our new members. So thanks ,Gentleman, for your immediate, Intelligent and Thoughtful contribution to Green and Gold. In the past we have had individuals who really have lowered the tone of this site. Including one last week, who had nothing to offer but vindictive criticism of GPS Schools. He will remain nameless. Such individuals never talked school boy Rugby.

So I thank the following new members, for choosing to make a contribution to our site:-

Brother Joseph
The Hammer
The Meter Eater
The Business
The Dutchoven
DomChipin Chase
and
TheBlumpkinEnthusiast who I Have already had an interesting talk about Newington's potential for this year.

If I have left anyone out my humble apologies.I Trust you find friendship, enjoyment and from time to time a good laugh.

I hope other members can also extend a warm welcome as well.

Kind Regards

B&W

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)

Just to add to the news about Tom Osborne. He has recently been announced the Sydney Uni club captain! Will be great to see him around the grounds in the remainder of the shute shield fixtures

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
However TME,

I believe, unless I'm entirely mistaken, that it was Yamoto who said "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
It was then the 1999 Wallabies lineup that first incorporated this doctrine into gameplay, only to be incorporated by every AAGPS and CAS team within 5 years. Simply, any team can do anything they set their minds to (within physical limitations of the dimension we exist in).

Ruling out any team from any school in any competition would be Foolish.

BTW; could we engage in any discussion regarding the 1st XV competition, this isn't the grammar rugby forum.

Brother Joe

As a History Teacher, with a particular passion for Military History, I can't resist the opportunity to state that Admiral Yamoto was responsible for the Brilliantly planned and executed Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour. He was killed about a year later when the Americans used Signal intercepts to plot his positioning, that enabled them to shoot him down. This Japanese genius, is now being applied to the management of Japanese Rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I thought so too..the remarkable polite Jesuits manners coupled with excellent punctuation and style gave them away.
Back to the dorm rooms

30657097286.jpg

Indeed, I didn't think such punctuation and grammar still existed in the education system. Coupled with their excellent manners, it's been a revelation. :)