• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Ace, with rumours of Okane signing with Brisbane in the very near future, how will this affect his ability to play for joeys.

It is a rumor tis all. Probably spread by the Dark Empire. Never trust those Imperial types.

4djstn.jpg

Drawn

Frank Row (1)
at the risk of labouring the point, Sua'ali'i was signed by the Rabbitohs in Feb 2019 after having played in their U16 Harold Matthews league since 2018. The crucial difference is that he played in their SG Ball team this season and was paid for doing so. This makes him, by definition, a professional rugby league player, and ineligible to play GPS rugby.
Factually incorrect. Sua'ali'i has not played a game for Souths SG Ball this year. Check the team lists. Plenty of others playing GPS that have this year so the logic makes no sense.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Shore v Joeys at Northbridge

Shore will give it everything as usual, but I suspect that Joeys will be too big, too fast and too skilful for Shore to hold them for the 70 minutes. Joeys by 30 plus

Newington v Riverview at Stanmore

A young Newington side coming off a confidence building win against Shore have the ability to cause an upset here against a Riverview team which lost last week to Kings. The margin of the loss by Riverview was similar to the margin which Newington lost to them by in the first trial. Newington by 7-10

Kings v Scots at North Parramatta

I've seen Kings play a couple of times and have been quite impressed. They come off a strong win against Riverview while Scots come off a loss to Joeys. Kings also won the trial against Scots quite comfortably. I think that this will be closer but Kings by 10.

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
Now, back to Rugby. as I’ve said before, I think Kings v Scots will be the match of the round.
We’ve heard from a couple of people, but I’d be interested to see what everyone else predicts will unfold this weekend at north parramatta. Cheers.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Not wanting to let a bicycle story go to waste.

In the 1936 Hubert Opperman visited Joeys and spoke to the boys about overcoming adversity and reaching your goals. For those who don't know who this fella was, "Oppy" was a much cherished Australian sporting hero of the 1920s and 1930s, whose cycling achievements inspired millions during the difficult Depression years. He was voted by the public as a sporting hero by both French and Australian fans. A large reason for his heroic status was his undying endurance and multiple record-breaking performances. He was beloved in both hemispheres.

Here he is with the lads. I love the smiles on their faces. It looks like it was taken yesterday.

Fun fact, when he spoke to the boys, the school was also celebrating their 55th birthday. That year the Joeys 1st XV won all 7 games with 256 (64 tries) for and 36 against.

Eg8vO7AU4AAn2ou

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Having seen the draw for the Rugby for Joeys V Shore, disappointing that the boys in the 5ths thru to 8ths are having to play a meaningless internal trial, while the boys in the 9ths to 11ths play Shores 5th to 7ths.

Hey Brumbies,

Same last week against Scots. I think this is a symptom of AAGPS Isolation Rugby. Normally Joeys would have games against multiple schools to fill the grades. I noticed last week and this week that it's pretty much "play against one school or play against yourself".

It might be part of the agreement to minimise travel, contact, risk etc.

At least the 5th, 6th 7th and 8th XV are playing on SJC #1.

Cheers
INP.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Hey Brumbies,

Same last week against Scots. I think this is a symptom of AAGPS Isolation Rugby. Normally Joeys would have games against multiple schools to fill the grades. I noticed last week and this week that it's pretty much "play against one school or play against yourself".

It might be part of the agreement to minimise travel, contact, risk etc.

At least the 5th, 6th 7th and 8th XV are playing on SJC #1.

Cheers
INP.

Yes agree, not having CAS schools playing at the same time really creates issues for schools like Joeys and Riverview that have many more teams. Just another unfortunate outcome, in a year of unfortunate outcomes, for those in Year 12.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Having seen the draw for the Rugby for Joeys V Shore, disappointing that the boys in the 5ths thru to 8ths are having to play a meaningless internal trial, while the boys in the 9ths to 11ths play Shores 5th to 7ths.

Could be worse. My eldest played Riverview 4 times one season.
The only silver lining was that they (a) beat the snot out of them but (b) made some new mates.
After the final round they played, the View parents brought a shared picnic lunch for both teams.
Chicken wings for the boys with Pavillon Blanc du Chateau Margaux for the parents!

10558163.jpg

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
The only silver lining was that they (a) beat the snot out of them but (b) made some new mates.
After the final round they played, the View parents brought a shared picnic lunch for both teams.
Chicken wings for the boys with Pavillon Blanc du Chateau Margaux for the parents!

10558163.jpg

Joker, hearing your boy beat View would be like seeing my mother-in-law go off a cliff in my new Land Cruiser, I have mixed feelings about it.... Happy for you, but distraught that we were beaten by the pink and blue, like I am sure some other school supporters are, or have been.

My predictions for this week are that the Kings fellas will overcome the the Kilts of the east, leaving the lone piper sad. One can't under estimate Scots since 2013, especially if some of their senior players are back, but they are don't seem to operate as a cohesive unit this year, unlike some of their past teams. Kings by 14.

Would love Shore to rise up and thrash Joeys, but may not happen in 2020.... Have no doubt the Shore boys will put up a good game and their new rugby program seems to be heading in the right direction. Joeys by 21, but hope it's Shore by 32.

New' started off a shaky and I would be a little surprised if they could overcome the Wolves from Lane Cove this year, even at Stanmore. View look to play better as a team in the matches I have watched (when Clutch TV has cooperated) so far imho. Riverview by 14.

Would like Inside Shoulder's input on Grammar's 1st XV playing in the 3rds comp', he always had good incite, they seem to be strong this year.

I'm Brian and so is my wife. -MP (Moana Pasifika), Life of Brian

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)

10558163.jpg

It’s stories like yours, Joker, that show us why we love the game so much. Some of my best mates are from teams I played against back in the 80’s. And yes, some of them were Joeys Boys. Let’s not let rivalries get between us footy heads and the true power of the game - there is no sport that builds social connections like rugby.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Would like Inside Shoulder's input on Grammar's 1st XV playing in the 3rds comp', he always had good incite, they seem to be strong this year.

Hello The Grail.

Grammar remain undefeated in the 3rd XV comp after three rounds games and they are definitely one of the main chances. Their 14-0 win at Kings last week was solid - they have some big forwards and they execute well. They would definitely have their eye on the Col Windon Shield that currently resides at the trophy cabinet at Hunters Hill.

Joeys are the only other undefeated team so the deferred Round 3 match up on Wednesday 16 September at Rushcutters Bay could well decide the premiership.

I will be watching closely and reporting accordingly.

Regards
INP

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
Anyone else feel as though Riverview are being slightly disrespected with the predictions for this weekend. View put a cricket score on shore who were only narrowly beaten by the young newington side. Coming off a large defeat, a team with plenty of talent like view should hit back. View by 20+.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Anyone else feel as though Riverview are being slightly disrespected with the predictions for this weekend. View put a cricket score on Shore who were only narrowly beaten by the young Newington side. Coming off a large defeat, a team with plenty of talent like view should hit back. View by 20+.

Big Papi I don't think it's a question of disrespect. As the cliche goes "you are only as good as your last game" and anyone who watched Kings comprehensively dismantle Riverview last week would think that they have some work to do. As I have stated several times, I have always considered Riverview a big chance this year with the talent they have.

It is difficult to assess form after only one round, but tomorrow's round will make it a bit clearer.

And as they saying goes "I am supporting Joeys and whoever is playing against Riverview". :D

Cheers
INP

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Ok, here we go for another weekend round of couch viewing. Last week we had little to worry as Cluch got their megabits all sorted. Once again we shall be locked out of the grounds, which is rather disappointing. This weekend I am denied the best pie in the GPS served by some of the nicest mothers in Northbridge. Lets see what my crystal mixing bowl can see.

Shore v Joeys.
On the night of 7 August 1588 Sir Francis Drake, second in command of the English fleet, sent in eight small ships packed with inflammables, known as fire-ships. They were set alight amongst the anchored Spanish fleet which caused great confusion, forcing the Spanish ships to cut their cables in order to save themselves. My goodness Shore could do with some of these right now. The Shoremen really took it to the wookies last round and were unlucky to come up short. No one denies the pluck and valor of the Shore lads, it is just that they have no "fire-ships" in the team to create the same type of confusion that is needed to disrupt the Marist Armada this weekend. True to form Shore will never give up as long as they are serving those excellent sausage rolls after the match. This is when local knowledge will deny the Joeys lads a descent feed. Joeys though will unleash their full arsenal (minus a couple of lads nursing injuries) this weekend. Joeys by 20+ cannonballs.

4dsnmk.jpg