• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

RogerScots82

Stan Wickham (3)
This is probably old new but I heard the younger Brial son is at Scots, 14 and already a monster. Also I think no one can doubt the coming season will be a cracker!

yeah he is about 6 foot and 90 + kgs, but had an average season in the 13as with a few injuries, but id say Scots have a plan for him.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
I am cross posting this on the CAS and GPS forums. Some of you will be aware that TAS Head Murray Guest was killed in a car crash. His memorial service was this morning and TAS has posted it to youtube. Its' quite long, although the first 57 mins or so are photos of Murray. Murray went to Grammar and taught at Cranbrook and Shore. There are some stories here that you might like assuming I get the upload right <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F9nC16hrL7o?start=8813" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I am cross posting this on the CAS and GPS forums. Some of you will be aware that TAS Head Murray Guest was killed in a car crash. His memorial service was this morning and TAS has posted it to youtube. Its' quite long, although the first 57 mins or so are photos of Murray. Murray went to Grammar and taught at Cranbrook and Shore. There are some stories here that you might like assuming I get the upload right <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F9nC16hrL7o?start=8813" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hello Jim

I am so sadden to hear this news, particularly, with the other tragedies that have beset TAS over the years. I commented on the lost of Ken in 1985, the young lieutenant killed in Afghanistan, the Richard Tombs accident and the lost of his brother in the Black Hawk crash in 1996.

I hope the TAS community can find the strength to overcome the pain and lost.

Brad Jones

Bob McCowan (2)
The Scots 13A were awesome racking up wins against Riverview 65-0, Shore 65-5, Kings 45-10 and Joeys 40-0. The team could be potentially one of the greatest Scots teams. The talent is Jacobs Lock, No8 Ulcoq and the centre pairing of Jacques and Bartlett are real show stoppers. I believe Scotland SRU have already approached Bartlett the No 13 on some kind of development contract.
yeah he is about 6 foot and 90 + kgs, but had an average season in the 13as with a few injuries, but id say Scots have a plan for him.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
The Scots 13A were awesome racking up wins against Riverview 65-0, Shore 65-5, Kings 45-10 and Joeys 40-0. The team could be potentially one of the greatest Scots teams. The talent is Jacobs Lock, No8 Ulcoq and the centre pairing of Jacques and Bartlett are real show stoppers. I believe Scotland SRU have already approached Bartlett the No 13 on some kind of development contract.

Hello Brad Jones

Yes, they were a very good side, but so were the Newington 13As who beat Scots 19-15 in the pre-season. Scots beat them 10-5 in the GPS fixture. I wouldn't get to work up about these results in the 13As, boys grow, develop skill and will learn the game in the coming years. That in all likelihood, will even out this age group by the time they are playing 15As Rugby.

I would stress that Kings and Joeys will be the big improvers in this age group. New beat Joeys 42-0, but Joeys came back in the second half to hold Newington out with only two tries being scored. They were a big strong side, but lacked experience out wide with their backs unable to match News creative running backline. I expect Joeys will experience some tough love in the training of their 2020 14As.Kings almost beat Newington at Parramatta, but a 19-14 score and having watched this game tells me that Kings will another top side in the years to come. Leading 12-0, Newington allowed overconfidence and complacency to set in. This allowed Kings fight back and lead 14-12, with only a few minutes to go. But a brilliant pick and drive effort from Newington allowed then to score a try near the posts that was converted for the 19-14 win. So expect Kings to improve.

I don't expect to see a repeat of their results in 2020. Although, Scots and Newington are likely to remain the two top teams up to the 15As. In fact too many easy wins will not teach these boys to improve their Rugby. Our 15As who have been undefeated in 13&14s showed complacency this year. Although, they finished strongly with a 35-7 win over Scots and 50-0 over View, they experienced a 14-14 draw against Joeys despite being a better team. Equally, their loss 17-12 against Shore showed a spirited, more determined side could pullout a win against a bigger, faster side. Had our 15As played some top NZ sides, I felt they would have learnt to play better Rugby.

Yes, these results are encourageing as I do find the Newington 13A results. But if they are to be maintained or even improved upon. Both schools need to look to NZ or SA tours. Even a Queensland tour against their top sides could prove useful. But if we simply play Rugby in our own NSW backyard, neither side will develop. You often learn more in defeat, than in victory.

Regards
B&W

Brad Jones

Bob McCowan (2)
Totally agree B&W the Newington 13A were a great team. There is some top talent in the Newington 13A they are a great team which will only get better with time. The 13A game at Newington was a great game to watch tough and some incredible defence. Going forward should be great games between both teams. Totally agree the true test would be go to go SA and play the likes of Paarl Gim, Greys and Affies. These schools would give both teams the ultimate test. Thanks for the thread. cheers

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
The GPS Rugby Draw for 2020 has been published by the AAGPS.
Please refer to www.aagps.nsw.edu.au as the source of truth.

2-May
Trial 1
Knox v Shore
Joeys v Riverview
Kings v Barker / Trinity
Scots v Kinross / Oakhill
Augustine's / Pius v Newington
High v Grammar

9-May
Trial 2
Trinity / Augustine's v Shore
Knox / Pius v Joeys
Scots v Kings
Waverley / High v Riverview
Oakhill v Newington
Pius v Grammar

16-May
Trial 3
Shore v Waverley / St Greg's
Barker / Oakhill v Joeys
Augustine's v Kings
Scots v Riverview
Newington v Knox
Grammar v St Aloysius
Cranbrook v High
Armidale v Kinross

23-May
Trial 4
Barker v Shore
Joeys v Scots
Kings v Waverley
Riverview v Augustine's
Newington v Kinross

30-May
Trial 5
Shore v Cranbrook
Joeys v Waverley / Pius
Kings v Newington
Barker v Scots
Riverview v Knox

13-Jun
Round 1
Shore v Riverview
Joeys v Kings
Scots v Newington

20-Jun
Round 2
Newington v Shore
Scots v Joeys
Kings v Riverview

25-Jul
Round 3
Shore v Joeys
Kings vs Scots
Newington v Riverview

1-Aug
Round 4
Scots v Shore
Riverview v Joeys
Newington v Kings

8-Aug
Round 5
Kings v Shore
Joeys v Newington
Riverview v Scots

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
And the 3rd XV Competition Draw...

23-May
3rd XV Round 1
TAS v Shore
Riverview v Joeys
High v Kings
Scots v Grammar

30-May
3rd XV Round 2
Shore v Grammar
Joeys v Kings
High v Scots
TAS v Riverview

13-Jun
3rd XV Round 3
Shore v High
Grammar v Joeys
Kings v Riverview
Scots v TAS

20-Jun
3rd XV Round 4
Riverview v Shore
Scots v Joeys
Kings v Grammar
TAS v High

25-Jul
3rd XV Round 5
Shore v Joeys
Kings vs Scots
Riverview v High
TAS v Grammar

1-Aug
3rd XV Round 6
Scots v Shore
Joeys v High
TAS v Kings
Grammar v Riverview

8-Aug
3rd XV Round 7
Kings v Shore
Joeys v TAS
Riverview v Scots
Grammar v High

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
The GPS Rugby Draw for 2020 has been published by the AAGPS.
Please refer to www.aagps.nsw.edu.au as the source of truth.

Trial 5
Shore v Cranbrook
Joeys v Waverley / Pius
Kings v Newington
Barker v Scots
Riverview v Knox

Can't remember the last time these two schools played against each other - looking forward to it.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Happy new year all. Whilst many people on this thread would of no doubt been effected by the fires, it was sad to see half of Glengarry being burnt down including my old dorm. Whilst lives and livelihoods are way more important, I wonder what this will do to the intakes and the strengths of the 14 and 15's rugby age groups

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Ok kids. Time for a trip in the "wayback machine"

Scots v Joeys at Bellevue Hill 1984.

Many thanks to a Joeys mate who sent me the link.

Enjoy.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Ok kids. Time for a trip in the "wayback machine"

Scots v Joeys at Bellevue Hill 1984.

Many thanks to a Joeys mate who sent me the link.

Enjoy.

Great stuff Joker. Good way to get the blood pumping for the new year! Is that Tony Daley running around?

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Daly at 7. It might say 6 at the start, but you can see him with 7 on the back!
Great to see these games - a lot of kicking!!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sad, very sad. A perfectly serviceable breakaway gets shunted into the front row. Very sad.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Here is another video

St Joseph’s College Hunters Hill 1st VX v The Kings School Parramatta 1984 @ Joeys.
Sad to watch Peter Palmer play (Joeys 9) who died shortly after leaving school.
Looking at the old Joeys Number 1 is weird as many now consider the surface today the best in Sydney.
Back then it was a paddock

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Here is another video

St Joseph’s College Hunters Hill 1st VX v The Kings School Parramatta 1984 @ Joeys.

Heavy leather balls, fast scrum sets, no lifting in the line out, no tactical substitutions, only the referee with any power, playing on a caked mud surface; you try and tell the young people of today that, and they won't believe you.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Heavy leather balls, fast scrum sets, no lifting in the line out, no tactical substitutions, only the referee with any power, playing on a caked mud surface; you try and tell the young people of today that, and they won't believe you.

Hello Former Flanker

Another change that occurred that year was the no pushing rule in the scum and the subsequent depowering of the scrum, after with a particularly bad incident in the New/ Joies Game. The powerful Joeys scrum brought so much power that a New Prop subsequently suffered a neck injury. The game was delayered for about two hours, if memory serves me correctly.

The following week the GPS Headmaster' held a conference and subsequently approved the no pushing rule.

As to the game itself Joeys won 14-10 in a tight one. Scotty Baker the New Outside Center scored try, but had it was disallowed, that would given New a Draw at Least. Such is GPS Rugby.

Joeys won that year as GPS Champs and had at least four Aussie school reps selected, including entire front row and the Number 8. Again if memory serves correctly.

The only school to beat Joeys was Shore in the Preseason Match. Score
24-7
It was apparently Jikka's last game as Coach as he retired.