• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Hi B&W,

I haven't any specific details on how the teams are travelling, but it wouldn't surprise me if the backs were the strongest part of the 1sts. Having said that there are some good forwards moving up from last years 16As.

Not sure on the number of teams either as there haven't been any fixture lists with teams, but I suspect that it would be very similar to last year through the age groups and in opens.

I'll let you know as soon as I can work it out myself.

Many thanks Quick Hands and I wish you and your son an enjoyable and safe Rugby season with the Newington U/16s.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good article by Peter Fitzsimmons on smh re Suali... is he even likely to play for Kings this year?

And or compete in the athletics?

Following on from Fitzie analogy with Roulette... I question whether wingers are the most important players?

Personally I think it is the 10 ... as with 15 players on the field ... there is too many

So you need at wizard at 10... that’s what I’d be putting my money on

Big fast wingers ... there are enough out there ...u don’t need to splash the cash

Jonah lomu probably been only one that was the exception

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
Good article by Peter Fitzsimmons on smh re Suali. is he even likely to play for Kings this year?

Following on from Fitzie analogy with Roulette. I question whether wingers are the most important players?

Personally I think it is the 10 . as with 15 players on the field . there is too many

So you need at wizard at 10. that’s what I’d be putting my money on

Big fast wingers . there are enough out there .u don’t need to splash the cash

My mail is that it is doubtful he will play this year (guest appearances at training only) and next year is extremely unlikely.

RaraTragic

Frank Nicholson (4)
Good article by Peter Fitzsimmons on smh re Suali. is he even likely to play for Kings this year?

Following on from Fitzie analogy with Roulette. I question whether wingers are the most important players?

Personally I think it is the 10 . as with 15 players on the field . there is too many

So you need at wizard at 10. that’s what I’d be putting my money on

Big fast wingers . there are enough out there .u don’t need to splash the cash

There are a few solid 10's this year - hear Joeys and Scots have quality in that position...?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jonah Lomu probably been only one that was the exception
I watched "Anger within: Jonah Lomu: a rugby legend" last night.
Fantastic interviews with the man, interviews with former players and coaches, and spectacular footage of his rugby prowess from schoolboy to All Black and rugby 7s champion. It also traced his battles with his kidney disease.
It was made two years before his death.
Certainly worth watching for its exploration of his humanity.

Anger Within: Jonah Lomu: A Rugby Legend
Anger Within: Jonah Lomu: A Rugby Legend

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
10 years ago today.
Who was there?

110177745_708437723065096_7309535480950859371_n.jpg
EdpcKSdUYAIbXZG

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
My mail is that it is doubtful he will play this year (guest appearances at training only) and next year is extremely unlikely.
I hear that he is not playing. Also hear that he hasn’t been at school since about mid way thru term 1. Didn’t come back after covid. Maybe his schooling is over?

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
1sts played the first half with Joeys winnning 19-5
Joeys 2nds won their half too (not sure on score)
I feel a little sorry for Kings. Over the past few years they have had a number of high quality NRL bound players at the school but haven’t been able to use them due to injuries sustained playing league. This year (their 150th) they expected to have Sua'ali'i. Alas, it appears that won’t be the case. This really highlights the importance of developing players and depth from yr 7. No point relying on attracting players to build teams around if they aren’t available.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
This year (their 150th).

Correction - Kings were founded in 1831. So in 2021 Kings will be 190 years old
They had their sesquicentenary in 1981 with Joeys having their centenary.
I was there at this game at Kings.

Let me tell you about that famous game between the two giants.

S.J.C.v. The King's School at King's, 13th June.
Joeys 36-9.
D.Facer3, G. O'Hearn, P. Tonkin, P. Farrell, L.Seeto tries; P. Ryan 4 goals.

Ed6XIhzUwAAoCKi

This match celebrated the sesquicentenary of the King's School and the centenary of St. Joseph's College. The occasion was superbly organised by the King's School and Mr John Dowson, sportsmaster, in particular. An elaborately produced programme featured introductions by the King's School Headmaster and the coach of the First XV, fixture lists, ground locations, results of matches between the two schools from 1894 to 1980, First XV photographs, lists of all teams playing, and various rugby notes. Each boy received a copy. St. Joseph's sincerely thanks the King's School for the splendid promotion, organisation and hospitality extended to St. Joseph's on the occasion.

Our team was as given above, except that Glenn Nelson was outside centre and Mark Murphy inside centre. Patrick Hunt played in the Second XV.

In the tenth minute the ball moved from Fallon to Murphy and O'Grady and on to left winger Facer who ran fifteen metres to score a splendid try in the corner. 4-0. Two penalties to King's brought the score to 6-4 in their favour. The forwards were fairly evenly matched; St. Joseph's were superior in the backs.

From a scrum five metres from the King's goal line Farrell gathered, drew the defence and slipped the ball to Seeto who forced his way over for a try. Ryan converted. 10-6. Another penalty to King's brought the score to 10-9. Farrell at the back of the lineout won the ball once again and ran fifteen metres to score our third try, which Ryan converted, bringing the score at half-time to 16-9.

Early in the second half O'Grady gained the ball from a scrum, and fed to Tonkin who moved with great dash up the short side, passed to Shields, who passed to Facer to score the fourth try. Ryan's conversion brought the score to 22-9.

St. Joseph's front row of Flannery, Irvine and Renete was playing strong rugby and displayed outstanding technique in the tight. McEwen was fielding the high ball most efficiently. A fine team effort, with Ryan coming into the line from fullback, enabled Tonkin to score the fifth try. 26-9.

O'Hearn broke four tackles to score the sixth try. 30-9. The final try came right on full time and was the most spectacular of the match. From a maul the ball went to Fallon, Tonkin, Murphy, Nelson, Ryan, Shields, O'Hearn, who passed infield to O'Grady, Shields and finally Facer who scored the try. Ryan converted to make the final score 36-9.

Referee: Mr R. Fordham.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Ha ha, my heart bleeds for the Joey Boys. According to the Joker, every year they do it tough and pull themselves together on a shoestring budget and play on nothing but heart to be the Champions they have always been lol

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
pull themselves together on a shoestring budget

Hello Subbie...I'll bite. Lets get this out of the way now before the season proper starts.

Just a few facts to ponder.

SJC pay their casual coaches $27.50 an hour. This means the majority of the coaches are willing Old Boys looking to make some beer money for the weekend or current/past parents who volunteer their time (like me). Many of the coaches know the students well and have an emotional "connection" to the school. They are paid for a minimum 3 hours a week plus the hour on Saturday. This pay come from school fees. No money is sourced externally for this.

Funding for the Joeys rugby program comes from a pool of money gathered for "Joeys Sports". This means all money raised (in the form of ONE event called "Sports Lovers Lunch") must be evenly divided up among all codes and sports. In 2018 the sports lover lunch raised $300k to spread across every sport and activity. The Joeys Rowing BBQ and rowing dinner raises more funds for rowing as boats are not cheap. There is no Rugby Support group that raises money, pays coaches, pays for equipment and "sources" players.

Joeys run up to 45 rugby teams a season plus has to bus 1100 boys to and from games across Sydney. The Joeys transport bill is enormous. If they decided to make attendance optional imagine how much money could be forwarded to other programs

TSC pay their casual coaches $60 an hour (last checked this in 2017). These are usually hired coaches brought in from professional coaching companies. The coaches usually have no connection personally to the school. There is no compulsory attendance to watch the senior games (away) and hence TSC have a very small transport cost to Joeys.

Money to pay for the Scots coaches and other rugby aspects come purely from fund raising. And what fund raising it is...
The TSC rugby support group generates approx $300k a year through corporate sponsorship, season launch events and encouraging "boosters" and old boy unions to donate. The money is then spent on professional coach wages (a former 1st XV coach confirmed this arrangement), incredible equipment, events such as the Sevens and even overseas tours (one fund raiser I attended in 2005 saw $100k raised for a primary team to travel to New Zealand!). There were times in recent memory when money was funneled into "sporting" bursaries which technically did not break any rules regarding the word that can be spoken.

Both schools have their issues. Joeys though does have a fraction of the money to use compared to others.

Back at you Subbie!