• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Shore scored a converted try on fulltime

The score displayed by Clutch is 26-19, but this seems different to the score which was on the Shore scoreboard when the camera panned across.

Unconfirmed result

Final score from Northbridge

Newington def Shore 24-19

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
You will find most headmasters feel the same way. The issue is that this fella turned up with huge wraps on him with the TKS magisterium thinking he would fall into line like all good Kings men. Then came the buckets of money. Previous to this, clubs would park players in GPS schools for a couple of years (pay they fees, boy would play for the school only) and in return the player would sign an agreement that he would play for the club for at least two years after year 12. Newington benefited from this system not long ago. The boys though did play for the school and the clubs never pressured them to play Sunday league.

Now we have a situation were a school allowed their player to play Sunday league. It seems Souths now want him to play exclusively with them and forgo school commitments. In future I am sure ALL GPS school heads will think twice before "investing" in talent that has the tinge of league.

The situation with Sua'ali'i is very simple - he is being paid under a contract with the NRL and is therefore professional and therefore disqualified from playing GPS Rugby which, by definition, is exclusively amateur. End of...

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
The overall issue I have is that schools have a very clearly communicated requirement of all boys to participate in extra curricular activity and that when they attend these schools there is very little time for other commitments.

How a student can fit this all in with obligations to an NRL club, extra curricular activity and achieve their best possible education outcome I am mystified by.

It is a double standard of student expectation.

And things don’t always play out according to the press clippings, so always do your best education wise.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ty...s/news-story/c2924b8773e67717540b5aeb593e30ef

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
The situation with Sua'ali'i is very simple - he is being paid under a contract with the NRL and is therefore professional and therefore disqualified from playing GPS Rugby which, by definition, is exclusively amateur. End of.
If that’s the case why is Kalokalo still playing for Scots given he got a contract from Soufs last week?

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Joeys Vs Kings next week is going to be a huge match. What chance spectators will be allowed?
I reckon about 0. If you look at the pronouncements during the week by Kerry Chant regarding private school activities, singing and chanting and the likelihood of additional restrictions being applied during Term 3 I cannot see the GPS Headmasters changing anything.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
There is no rule if a player is signed to an NRL club he cannot play GPS. Stupid comment

you misread the comment - the difference is "being paid". Lots of kids have been signed by NRL clubs over recent years but not been paid while they are at school. The contract they signed is a commitment to play (and be paid) when they leave school.

Big difference.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I reckon about 0. If you look at the pronouncements during the week by Kerry Chant regarding private school activities, singing and chanting and the likelihood of additional restrictions being applied during Term 3 I cannot see the GPS Headmasters changing anything.

I think you're right. GPS sport is just holding on and it's because of the no parents, no spectators, no crowds of cheering schoolmates policy.

All girls' schools IGGSA hockey and netball was cancelled today.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
The overall issue I have is that schools have a very clearly communicated requirement of all boys to participate in extra curricular activity and that when they attend these schools there is very little time for other commitments.

How a student can fit this all in with obligations to an NRL club, extra curricular activity and achieve their best possible education outcome I am mystified by.

It is a double standard of student expectation.

And things don’t always play out according to the press clippings, so always do your best education wise.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ty...s/news-story/c2924b8773e67717540b5aeb593e30ef

Didnt make Aus Schools. Perhaps those selectors knew more than 15 RL clubs

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)
Based on what I've seen over the past two Saturdays, Kings are the real deal and are contenders. Add Sua'ali'i to the mix and they'll be tough to beat.

Yea, seeing Joeys are one of the favourites to take out the comp - and it was a tight game between them & scots - the scoreboard this weekend suggests that Kings will be heading in as favs next week. Chuck in your 2 league players & its going to be one good game of footy

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
you misread the comment - the difference is "being paid". Lots of kids have been signed by NRL clubs over recent years but not been paid while they are at school. The contract they signed is a commitment to play (and be paid) when they leave school.

Big difference.

The majority of boys signed to NRL clubs are being paid while at school. We aren't talking huge sums like Sua'ali'i could earn if he signs the rumoured Souths contract but the majority are being paid. It has no impact on them playing GPS rugby