• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Kings were very much deserved winners today but I think Scots made them look better than they are.
A couple of key injuries left Scots backline under strength and they didn't use possession well.
Too many errors, too much wasted ball.
Kings beat Scots by considerably more than Joeys but this pundit would still give Joeys a slight edge.
Scots performance last week at Hunters Hill was of a far higher standard.

For Scots mid table beckons unless they can sort things out.
Some talented players but they just didn't fire as a team today.

For Kings they will certainly challenge this year but hard to see them prevailing.
Their pack spent all afternoon being pushed around in the set piece.
They'll need to get this straightened out to lift the trophy.
It will be ceased upon by smarter sides and they'll bleed possession.

A frustrating day for the Scots faithful.
Hard to watch at times....but we are not without hope.

For Kings supporters a win to celebrate and a massive confidence boost for the opening round.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
From today's NSW Education Department website reflecting the commentary of Kerry Chant of last week and repeated again today:

"Interschool activities must remain within the local community or zone. This applies to all interschool sport and physical activities, curriculum activities, arts activities and extra-curricular activities organised or sponsored by the school. Schools must not travel outside of their local community area. Metropolitan schools cannot travel outside their local area or to regional areas. Regional areas cannot travel into metropolitan areas or other regional areas".

Unless the GPS has managed to obtain a specific exemption for GPS Sport, its hard to see how most GPS schools (with the possible exceptions of Joeys/Riverview and Grammar/Scots) would be regarded as being in the same local community area.

Interestingly while schools are not permitted to travel out of area, community sport doesn't seem to have the same restrictions, eg SJRU typically has teams travelling across Sydney to play each other.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
We just received an email from the Barker Head saying that all inter-school sport has been cancelled from this week on due to this, I wonder if it will affect the GPS comp.

Mr Huge

Stan Wickham (3)
All sport.

Last week was the last match for opens and 16's. I think other teams had one more match to play, but of course that is now not happening.

Last weekend last Opens game - should have been one more 16s game this weekend. So for those 16A teams who were washed out 2 weekends ago their season was 3 games, I guess in a year like this we should be grateful for even that!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I quote
  • Students must remain within their relevant class or year group to limit mixing.
  • Schools must not travel outside their local community or zone, including between rural and regional areas. (What does King do? They are in the sticks anyway)
  • Interschool sport and zone carnivals are restricted to 100 people per venue and must be held in the local area.
  • Spectators, including parents and carers, are not permitted within school grounds or at sporting events held during school hours.
  • All group singing and or other chanting activities (bugger, this counts out Joeys and Newington boys), as well as the use of wind instruments in group settings are not permitted.
  • Dance activities (good news for Riverview interpretative dance troupe) and drama group work can continue under a COVID-19 Safety Plan.
  • School formals, dances, graduation or other social events are not permitted (Scots wont be able to congregate at The Golden Sheaf like usual).
  • Schools may hold a Year 12 assembly at school without parents to recognise the completion of school or consider delaying events until later in the year.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
We have a loop hole.

From Wednesday 19 August, all public schools in NSW will be required to adopt the changes to ensure school communities remain safe inside and outside the school gate.

No mention of independent schools

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
We have a loop hole.

From Wednesday 19 August, all public schools in NSW will be required to adopt the changes to ensure school communities remain safe inside and outside the school gate.

Not sure how well that would play in the media if that "loophole" was exploited. I'd be surprised if the AAGPS or CAS tried it.

RaraTragic

Frank Nicholson (4)
We have a loop hole.

Love your work joker!
So on the basis that the boys get to play and there are no spectators allowed....can someone please get in touch with Cluch TV and get them to SORT THAT SHIT OUT ! Excuse the language but every week there are issues - not good enough

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Not sure how well that would play in the media if that "loophole" was exploited. I'd be surprised if the AAGPS or CAS tried it.
Agree, I think they’ll cop this one and cancel the season.

I feel for the boys, a lot of hard work and sacrifice goes into making a GPS side and running around with your mates at any level is a highlight of year 12.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Love your work joker!
So on the basis that the boys get to play and there are no spectators allowed..can someone please get in touch with Cluch TV and get them to SORT THAT SHIT OUT ! Excuse the language but every week there are issues - not good enough

I recommend you email info@cluch.tv if you have an issue. I have done a number of times and they have been really responsive. Clearly there are still teething problems.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
There was confusion over how the new guidelines would affected sporting competitions that bring together schools from different parts of the city, such as the Athletic Association of the Great Public Schools, known as the GPS. Its members will meet on Tuesday.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...-schools-to-be-tightened-20200817-p55mfd.html

Honestly this is an astounding and inconsistent decision from NSW Health that is not going to make one iota of difference to the spread of COVID.

So community sport is OK to continue, gyms are open with indoor classes, park fitness classes are back on, everybody is piling onto public transport (with masks only optional), supermarkets are chock-a-block, and pubs and restaurants are open. But GPS rugby with no spectators has to end?

You've got to be kidding.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Clearly CAS aren’t trying it - they have cancelled all sport. Can’t see GPS going it alone without taking it up strongly to NSW Health. The one thing they have in their favour is it’s a relatively small number of schools and there are no spectators.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Honestly this is an astounding and inconsistent decision from NSW Health that is not going to make one iota of difference to the spread of COVID.

So community sport is OK to continue, gyms are open with indoor classes, park fitness classes are back on, everybody is piling onto public transport (with masks only optional), supermarkets are chock-a-block, and pubs and restaurants are open. But GPS rugby with no spectators has to end?

Couldn’t agree more. Hopefully the GPS Heads can get this point across to the powers that be at NSW Health. Would be very sad for these boys for this to be the outcome given they have had pretty much every other co-curricular opportunity stripped away. Including now, graduation ceremonies, formals, end of year liturgical ceremonies, school farewells and finally, thanks to AP, schoolies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

My understanding is that this directive was specifically to schools and NSW Health will be issuing further guidance with regards to community sport etc over the coming days. But it’s not looking good from any angle.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Seems ridiculous to me ... so let me get this straight it’s ok to be in a Westfield shopping centre, with 4000 other punters,
It’s ok to be in a movie theatre, it’s ok to be in a classroom... but no being outdoors in the sunshine exercising, Getting the adrenaline flowing, that’s not allowed

Fair dinkum ... I’d post my fav meme ... if I knew how...

“We are fighting 2 pandemics ... coronavirus and stupidity”

Anyway I’m off to buy some toilet paper

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Anyway I’m off to buy some toilet paper

4brsmy.jpg

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
The majority of boys will spend all week travelling to and from school on public transport, crammed into buses and trains. Somehow a game of rugby on an open field, fresh air and sunlight is too dangerous.....