• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Could someone at Stanmore please explain why Newington have "forfeited" the 16Bs, 14Bs and 13Bs to Joeys?

It sort of throws a spanner in the comp tables we are creating. Every other school plays Joeys in the A's and B's.
Why do the Newington 16B's, 14B's and 13B's play Joeys 16C, 14D and 13C XV's
Is there a reason? Please enlighten me.
Is that what has happened? Or is it about finding the best fit between Grammar and Newington? For example, in the 16s, the Grammar team is a strong age group - maybe not as strong as the A teams of the other 6 schools - but too strong for most C teams. It may be that they are viewed as a better opponent than the Newington 16Bs for the Joeys 16Bs.

Doublecut

Frank Nicholson (4)
Could someone at Stanmore please explain why Newington have "forfeited" the 16Bs, 14Bs and 13Bs to Joeys?

It sort of throws a spanner in the comp tables we are creating. Every other school plays Joeys in the A's and B's.
Why do the Newington 16B's, 14B's and 13B's play Joeys 16C, 14D and 13C XV's
Is there a reason? Please enlighten me.
I’m curious to know why they don’t play in the 3rd XV competition? I believe they have a 3rd XV team but choose not to play in the comp…happy to be corrected if this is incorrect.

Last edited:

The Front Rower

Ward Prentice (10)
Hi The Front Rower,

I completely agree mate, they really need to work hard to keep players in union, on the topic of the young guns coming through The Scots College what are your thoughts on the other young guns, Leo Jaques, Toby Brial and Zach fittler I havent been able to see them play.

Ootyfay
All very very good players and all still only 16 years old so should get better and bigger in next few seasons.

Joker

John Hipwell (52)
Bit of news....

Joeys hosted the Australian Women’s Sevens squad at The Park yesterday. In an opposed training session with members of Joeys’ First and Second XV, the "Pearls" sharpened their preparation before they fly out for the Birmingham Commonwealth Games on Friday. Joeys Head of Rugby Michael Hodge said the workout gave Joeys’ players an opportunity to broaden their horizons. Women’s coach Tim Walsh praised the College’s facilities and said the hit-out was a great test for his squad.

Joeys and all of us here, we wish the Women’s Sevens team all the best in their quest for a gold medal.

P.S You would never believe that oval has two team training on it every day. Looking very lush

294781310_5134551316654175_921240936591009647_n.jpg

ItsNotPink

Darby Loudon (17)
I’m curious to know why they don’t play in the 3rd XV competition? I believe they have a 3rd XV team but choose not to play in the comp…happy to be corrected if this is incorrect.
You are correct. This is a long story but basically The Armidale School (TAS) plays in this competition as the 8th team. The comp has three 1st XV teams - TAS, Grammar and High playing against 3rd XV teams from Joeys, Riverview, Shore, Scots and Kings. It would be better it if all schools had their 3rd XV in this competition but when Grammar and High left the 1st and 2nd XV comps this was the structure that everyone agreed to in the new 3rd XV comp. If there were 9 teams there would be byes and a longer season.

I think it works well on the whole and I note that Grammar have two premierships (and currently hold the shield), TAS have won three, Riverview and Scots one each and Joeys four times.

Cheers
INP

Doublecut

Frank Nicholson (4)
You are correct. This is a long story but basically The Armidale School (TAS) plays in this competition as the 8th team. The comp has three 1st XV teams - TAS, Grammar and High playing against 3rd XV teams from Joeys, Riverview, Shore, Scots and Kings. It would be better it if all schools had their 3rd XV in this competition but when Grammar and High left the 1st and 2nd XV comps this was the structure that everyone agreed to in the new 3rd XV comp. If there were 9 teams there would be byes and a longer season.

I think it works well on the whole and I note that Grammar have two premierships (and currently hold the shield), TAS have won three, Riverview and Scots one each and Joeys four times.

Cheers
INP
Appreciate the response INP.

One more question, do you know if this is a permanent decision from the Newington school or just for this year as they are under strength?

PS: as a parent of a 3rd XV player this season I just wanted to say that I’m glad you take the time to give the kids a bit of exposure with your previews/reviews.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Bit of news....

Joeys hosted the Australian Women’s Sevens squad at The Park yesterday. In an opposed training session with members of Joeys’ First and Second XV, the "Pearls" sharpened their preparation before they fly out for the Birmingham Commonwealth Games on Friday. Joeys Head of Rugby Michael Hodge said the workout gave Joeys’ players an opportunity to broaden their horizons. Women’s coach Tim Walsh praised the College’s facilities and said the hit-out was a great test for his squad.

Joeys and all of us here, we wish the Women’s Sevens team all the best in their quest for a gold medal.

P.S You would never believe that oval has two team training on it every day. Looking very lush

View attachment 14153

no truth to the rumour that Oscar Jorgensen is being groomed for tighthead in Joeys scrum

[that's Tom Carter on the right behind Charlotte Caslick, no?]

propsarespeedy

Ted Thorn (20)
As a former staff member at the Death Star, my employment was helped by two facts.

1. I was a AAGPS Old Boy so I "got" the whole masculine education ethos.
2. I could coach rugby,

This really drove the staff acquisitions for years and the school was able to have well educated in rugby verse staff able to coach every team. Plenty of Old Boys on staff plus the occasional AAGPS old boy (I was the first Joeys Old Boy on staff) The 1st XV was coached by a Geography teacher, Science teacher and Metal Technology teacher. No premierships since the crime of 1993, but they tried and it was "worthy of their forefathers" Then....the changes came.

HR was soon outsourced by the management to a more modern system and the staff soon reflected the "diversity" of society and not the culture of the Death Star. Early female staff employed could coach rugby but soon the College employed staff with extensive knowledge of lesbian dance theory, netball and interpretative Pilates. The result was the number of staff coaching rugby dropped dramatically. Only some older souls like myself continued. In my final year at The College I was the only staff member within my age group of five teams. The other teams were coached by hired gun from some sports coaching company. These were young people, with little understanding of the students and most never learned much (including names) about their charges. Results plummeted and the senior team suffered.

Then the College embarked on finding top quality 1st XV coaches (and players.....and that is all I will say) who could teach a bit but pay them above the award wage so they can spend more time solving defensive patterns rather than solving algebra problems. The emphasis was placed upon ONE team.

I left during the era of M. Blackburn who once told me, "you must coach your team to play this style. If they lose, I don't care but I need your players in 3 years who can play MY style." After losing the first 5 games under HIS style, I eventually gave up and played the style that worked for me with the cattle I had and we won our final four games including beating Joeys. I was given a proper chewing out at season end when he found out I had ignored his orders. That was my cue to exit the College and find kinder, more enlightened pastures elsewhere.
I believe something TSC does well is hiring young old boys to coach teams from the prep all the way up to sometimes opens, I think this is a great way to have coaches who understand the culture of the school and are able to properly coach teams. Just wondering, which teams did u coach when at scots?

ItsNotPink

Darby Loudon (17)
Appreciate the response INP.

One more question, do you know if this is a permanent decision from the Newington school or just for this year as they are under strength?

PS: as a parent of a 3rd XV player this season I just wanted to say that I’m glad you take the time to give the kids a bit of exposure with your previews/reviews.
Hi Doublecut,

I understand that it has been that way since the new 3rds XV competition commenced in 2012, but I am sure someone will correct me if that is not right. Certainly not just this year for Newington.

And thanks - I enjoy writing about the 3rd XV premiership and I trust people get some value out of it. I think it is really important for GPS rugby that ALL of the schools get some visibility and after all it is an Official GPS Rugby Competition.

Cheers
INP

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
That was my experience of him as well. Being a Kiwi he thought he knew everything. My gripe was that he would inject himself into team training sessions when uninvited.
Interesting that you say that. I coached both of his sons in junior rep programs through school and never had that issue.

propsarespeedy

Ted Thorn (20)
There will be a string of close games at HH across all age groups this Saturday.

Apart from the 1’s, the 16A’s will be an interesting contest, New have had the upper hand since 13’s but Joeys have been steady improvers. They have a forward pack that likes a physical contest, more sledge hammer than silky skills.

We are In for a treat in the 15A’s. New are the only team to have given Joeys any serious trouble since the 13’s and were big improvers from 13’s to 14’s. Joeys were much stronger in 13’s and won at Stanmore last year in a tough battle, will New have closed the gap this year?

14A’s will be interesting, It was a close contest at Stanmore last year with a win to Joeys before the season was cut short. I think Joeys will get up and will benefit from the larger field than the one provided at Stanmore.

13A’s, who knows. All I do know is that the Joeys team is strong and have been putting on big some scores. What will New bring?

So there you have it, excellent rugby viewing starting at 9am At HH this Saturday for the die hards and mad men. Lock me in for a Rowers Lot at about midday and bring your wet weather gear. Beers at Jacks to round out a fantastic day where Joeys will clean sweep age group A’s and 1’s and 2’s (and beat Grammar in 3’s).
I think 14A's will be a very interesting game, Newington are coming off a huge loss against Scots but will be hugely aided by the return of 2 there top 3 players ofa latu and Isahia sheck who were injured for the scot's game. I believe this will be decent contest but Joeys will take the win.

propsarespeedy

Ted Thorn (20)
So the NRL contracted kids have been dropped cold by the Gen Blue system and the leader. I know for a fact that Finnlay Bartlett is still in the SRU (Scottish Rugby Union) Exiles/Scottish qualified system. This suggests to me he hasn't 100% turned his back on Union completely even though he has a contract with the Sea Eagles. What this suggests to me instead of the NSWJRU having a conversation with the kid they have stuck their heads in the sand and gone completely cold and defensive. Maybe this is why the junior Wallabies were absolutely belted the other day 69-12. We can blame Cov etc but the reality is NZ had Cov as well. This suggests to me that the system is completely broken. When was the last time we won the Bledsoe Cup (1984) some 38 years ago and probably given the current pathways systems another 38 years. Here's a suggestion to the Pathways management go and have a conversation with these kids and bring in the families see where they are at, see what options you can provide them and then go from there, pretty simple stuff. Who know one day Finnlay might be running out at Murrayfield pulling on the Blue Scottish jersey.
We last won the bledisloe in 2003.

propsarespeedy

Ted Thorn (20)
Has there been any holiday rugby from any of the schools? I know many boys have been involved in rep games but have squads gone away or had any games?

Rae Rae
Scots firsts and seconds both had big wins against Wikitapau High school from NZ and Kings sent a few teams to Nudgee for some games, not sure which teams were sent.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
But why did New give up their spot where they the weakest in the 3rds competition?
Hi Doublecut,

I understand that it has been that way since the new 3rds XV competition commenced in 2012, but I am sure someone will correct me if that is not right. Certainly not just this year for Newington.

And thanks - I enjoy writing about the 3rd XV premiership and I trust people get some value out of it. I think it is really important for GPS rugby that ALL of the schools get some visibility and after all it is an Official GPS Rugby Competition.

Cheers
INP

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
why is there such a Joeys vs New rivalry? I can understand Joeys vs View (neighbours and Catholics), Joeys vs Kings (both big country boarding contingents), but never understood why there was such a rivalry with Joeys. It was the only school which warranted a special ‘gee up’ speech by the Senior Prefect the Friday before the game and a special war cry practice during the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.