• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old High Boy

Red Card Richard checking in here!!
I'm new to the forum but have heard many positive reviews about the constructive discussions that take place surrounding the wonderful game of Rugby.

As a die hard Riverview old boy I cannot explain the excitement for the historic Joeys V View round.

I will be expecting view to target many representative joeys boys!!

RCR

Welcome aboard RCR - looking forward to your views in the forum..

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTED RESULTS.

Amazing effort to have these by Tuesday.
Well done to the Scots supporters who got them in early.
Special thank you to Rudderless for tracking down those last games.

weekly results - Round 2 final.jpg

Stevenhutchings

Stan Wickham (3)
I agree, trying to stop one or two key players is not the way to beat Joeys. And in fact, this has got me thinking about how to handle the famed Joeys running machine...

If schools want to beat the famous Cerise and Blue, I believe they need to focus on the following - (or any team that plays at pace in the forwards, and with highly skilled backs):

1. Starve them of the Ball: Keep the ball in hand, and do not kick to their back 3. I don't just mean to solely rumble up 1-2 passes from the ruck, but use the ball in hand, and keep the ball in hand and recycle. Any kicking needs to go into touch, and always make sure that someone touches or picks up that kicked ball that is not playing (i.e. spectator, coaching staff, etc). So kick it into the crowd and sacrifice a few metres to ensure this happens. This will stop any quick lineouts from occurring, and will allow the forwards to reset.
2. Have two #7s in your forward pack: To do #1 above, school teams should have two #7's in the pack - do away with the bigger less mobile #6, and have two fliers to attack the downed ball carrier so as to recycle possession, or cause a turnover.
3. Pressure the Joeys #9 ALL game: from the games I have seen on Cluch, he does make mistakes when he is pressured (at the back of scrums, TRM). I am not saying he is a poor player - far from it. But placing constant pressure on his passing will either generate mistakes, or diminish the quality of his service to the outside Joeys backs. Having two #7s will go a long way to achieving this.
4. Tackle Low Tackle Hard: I see too many schools trying to tackle too high - using arm grabs and the like - only to be palmed off, and the ball advanced further. This was noticeable with Newington last Saturday, and was frustrating to watch. Go low and bring the ball carrier down quickly and get back to the Jackal-jockey position for the turn over ball opportunity. What this does will force the supporting attacking backs to enter the TR area to support (assuming the #7 has already been in a previous play, and not nearby), thereby reducing their effectiveness for advancing the play forward.
5. Use an Outside Back Drift Style Defence: I also see defending outside backs doing man-on-man defence at schoolboy level; that will only work if the defenders always stay-and-stop their man, and is typically used in conjunction with a rush-up defensive pattern (i.e. - an up and in your face defence). When facing teams that have a well-drilled and quick backline, It is always best to use a drift defensive pattern, and use the sideline as an extra player, and shepherd the play towards that direction. This will require the defenders having faith in their inside teammates - not only to be there, but also to do their job if play turns back inwards.
6. Work with the Referee: If the referee is (for example) focusing on tackle release, do this, do this, and - do this... adapt to his refereeing style, let the opposition get frustrated with his calls and they will become lippy; believe me those 50-50 calls will go your way...

Anyway, better said than done, but I believe in this style of play - I'd be great to hear others of their opinions on this, and other potential ways to beat those Joeys boys.
There’s no way to beat the St Joseph’s boys this yr, absolutely none. There a class above.

Voldemort

Frank Row (1)
I am not a big fan of kings, coming from a Scots background. Though I am sick of the way Shore has carried on about Kings, and created a debacle out of nothing. It is bloody ordinary. Beat them on the field. These vegetables have carried on about this nonsense across both sports.

It's a contact sport for Christ's Sake.

Play on,
Voldermort.

O

Old High Boy

I am not a big fan of kings, coming from a Scots background. Though I am sick of the way Shore has carried on about Kings, and created a debacle out of nothing. It is bloody ordinary. Beat them on the field. These vegetables have carried on about this nonsense across both sports.

It's a contact sport for Christ's Sake.

Play on,
Voldermort.

Thats not true about Shore complaining about nothing Vold, if you look at the cluch footage for the three matches, there are numerous incidents that tell a different story.

Its best left to both Headmasters to sort out the rugby issues (and I am told from a good source this will happen this week), as it should be

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Tips reminder.
I know its Tuesday but many missed out last week and luckily picked up 3 on the Scots game.
Remember your points spread as well please.

TIPS- Week 9.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
For those again who want to know how the spread works...

Example

Joeys v Riverview at the shearing shed.

You tip Joeys 50+

Result is 52-0 to Joeys

You get THREE points....why? because your tip was BELOW the margin

If your point spread was above the winning margin by 1 to 5 points (53+, 54+, 55+, 56+ or 57+) you receive FIVE points.

I am thinking this week I may try this.......predict the winning margin exactly and win 10 points.

Thoughts? It could turn the comp on its head.

Remember this is the first run we have had at this so we can tinker.

AfraidPiercingCatfish-size_restricted.gif

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
For those again who want to know how the spread works...

Example

Joeys v Riverview at the shearing shed.

You tip Joeys 50+

Result is 52-0 to Joeys

You get THREE points....why? because your tip was BELOW the margin

If your point spread was above the winning margin by 1 to 5 points (53+, 54+, 55+, 56+ or 57+) you receive FIVE points.

I am thinking this week I may try this.......predict the winning margin exactly and win 10 points.

Thoughts? It could turn the comp on its head.

Remember this is the first run we have had at this so we can tinker.

View attachment 14248
J,

I assume I only scored 10 because there is currently no 10 points bonus for picking the exact margin, at the moment, a la Scots by 2?
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.