• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Think he's playing American Football also.

You might be forgetting the View Fullback from 05,06 John Grant. Would of been this size and won the AAGPS Athletics 100m, 200m, Shot Put, Long Jump and Relays. A record at the time for an individual. True freak that played a while for Eastwood but kind of disappeared.

The nephew of former Balmain Tigers winger, James Grant, the winger stands at 195cm and weights 102kg. He was the leading tryscorer in the 2010 Shute Shield with 22 tries. A former student at St Ignatius College, Grant won the GPS 100 metre title in a time of 10.8 seconds.

r274_37_2063_2055_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Think he's playing American Football also.

You might be forgetting the View Fullback from 05,06 John Grant. Would of been this size and won the AAGPS Athletics 100m, 200m, Shot Put, Long Jump and Relays. A record at the time for an individual. True freak that played a while for Eastwood but kind of disappeared.
Grant also signed with the Tigers after a couple of Eastwood years but it didn't really work.

Grimey

Banned
TIPS ROUND THREE

View attachment 14254

NEW ADDITION- If you predict the winner with the exact points spread you will get 10 points.

example....Joeys v Scots.

Final result. Joeys 17 Scots 10

1. OlderSlower chose Joeys by 5
This is awarded 3 points because it is below the point spread.

2. ItsnotPink chose Joeys by 8
This awarded 5 points because it is above and within the 5 point margin (eg. +8, +9, +10, +11 & +12)

3. Lindommer chose Joeys by 7
This is awarded 10 points because it was the exact points difference.

4. Subbie chose Scots by 7
This is awarded 0 points
Joeys 12+
Riverview 8+
Newington 5+

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Wow, I hadn’t seen that smh article but I think I will leave it there.
I think it is a fair observation to say that there is a high cross over between very large fast athletes and those that have been in league programs for a few years. Those boys are benefiting from intense tailored training that would include nutrition. I don't think there is anything sinister to it at all and you now often hear it said "he is on a league weights program". The training techniques are spreading and you will see a general increase in size and explosive speed over the next few years as rugby programs catch up.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joker.

Based off your abundance of wealth built over your years watching and being involved in schoolboy rugby. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the greatest GPS schoolboy team you've seen.

RCR
Thanks for the challenge.

I am fortunate to have seen many teams over the years. Some homegrown...some, you know, "the word that shall not be mentioned". Teams I consider great since I first started watching are the 2017 Scots, 2010 Newington, 2003 Riverview, 2000 Kings and 1984, 2004 & 2005 Joeys teams.

The one team I wish I saw was the 1963 Sydney Boys High team. Still holds the record for producing 5 Wallabies.

anyway....

The team that sticks out for me was the 1990 Joeys 1st XV.

This was the 44th GPS Rugby Premiership for St Joseph's and the 22nd Championship.

The forwards were small in size but were extremely mobile and possessed excellent skills. It contained David Kellaher, the finest player Brother Anthony says he ever coached. Fast, tough and never stopped. His appetite for work was incredible. The backs possessed great pace and attacking ability. If you look at the team photo you should recognise some players. What helped as the sprint coaching the boys had from the athletics coaches and this showed each game.

The side won all their trial and competition matches. They scored 43 tries during the GPS competition. Their defensive record was perfect (With thanks to Brother "Minister for Defense" Bede). They joined the great 1957 team as being the only sides from St Joseph's not to have a try scored against them in the competition. In only having 9 points (3 penalties) scored against them they also joined the 1985 side as record holders for least points against.

The side played 8 trial games.

The results were:
Newington Won 16-3
Knox Won 35-9
Scots Won 9-0
Ashgrove Won 13-10
Armidale Won 36-6
The Arnold School Won 30-0
Marist Canberra Won 46-0
Trinity Won 16-12

table.jpg

1990.jpg

Last edited:

letsruck

Allen Oxlade (6)
You would imagine all schools have weights and nutrition plans for the 1 and 2's. I would also imagine, if like the View boys, they are in the gym 4/5 times a week?
During the off season it would be accurate to say that a student would be going gym 4-5 times a week, but in season, to avoid overtraining with skills sessions and gym combined. Most players go gym 2-3 times a week.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)

I am fortunate to have seen many teams over the years. Some homegrown...some, you know, "the word that shall not be mentioned". Teams I consider great since I first started watching are the 2017 Scots, 2010 Newington, 2003 Riverview, 2000 Kings and 1984, 2004 & 2005 Joeys teams.

The one team I wish I saw was the 1963 Sydney Boys High team. Still holds the record for producing 5 Wallabies.

anyway....

This was the 44th GPS Rugby Premiership for St Joseph's and the 22nd Championship.

The forwards were small in size but were extremely mobile and possessed excellent skills. It contained David Kellaher, the finest player Brother Anthony says he ever coached. Fast, tough and never stopped. His appetite for work was incredible. The backs possessed great pace and attacking ability. If you look at the team photo you should recognise some players. What helped as the sprint coaching the boys had from the athletics coaches and this showed each game.

The side won all their trial and competition matches. They scored 43 tries during the GPS competition. Their defensive record was perfect (With thanks to Brother "Minister for Defense" Bede). They joined the great 1957 team as being the only sides from St Joseph's not to have a try scored against them in the competition. In only having 9 points (3 penalties) scored against them they also joined the 1985 side as record holders for least points against.

The results were:
Newington Won 16-3
Knox Won 35-9
Scots Won 9-0
Ashgrove Won 13-10
Armidale Won 36-6
Marist Canberra Won 46-0
Trinity Won 16-12

View attachment 14259
View attachment 14260
I would concur and say that '91 wasn't too far behind this team (it helped to have 6 of them back again).

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)

anyway....

The results were:
Newington Won 16-3
Knox Won 35-9
Scots Won 9-0
Ashgrove Won 13-10
Armidale Won 36-6
Marist Canberra Won 46-0
Trinity Won 16-12

View attachment 14259
View attachment 14260
a couple of trivia points: Scott Fay is current coach of Joeys 13As, Peter Jorgensen is father of Max.
There were some obvious standouts in that team, not least the very quiet Graeme Thompson (No13), one of the best schoolboy players I've ever seen. He's the older brother of Joeys current 1st XV coach.

Albi

Allen Oxlade (6)

anyway....

The results were:
Newington Won 16-3
Knox Won 35-9
Scots Won 9-0
Ashgrove Won 13-10
Armidale Won 36-6
Marist Canberra Won 46-0
Trinity Won 16-12

View attachment 14259
View attachment 14260
Yep, 90 and 91 Joeys teams were incredible. Burke was slotting penalties from beyond half way for fun it seemed, which also rubbed your nose in it. I know first hand because I was on the receiving end…

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joker , have Joeys ever got the wooden spoon ? Or went through a period languishing at the bottom side of the table?
Equal last with Kings in 1979 with one win and six losses.
From the start of the season it was obvious that this team would lack much needed experience to finish well up the ladder and this fact was demonstrated throughout the season.

TheScrumScientist

Frank Nicholson (4)
Greetings all.

As a new member of this forum I seek to serve you all with explicit information on the game.
Being an old Scots boy from 03', to further coach at the Lions Den in 16'-18' I have gain much expertise in their way of life and culture.
Still having many connections within the GPS, I will be sure to keep you updated.

TSS

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Equal last with Kings in 1979 with one win and six losses.
From the start of the season it was obvious that this team would lack much needed experience to finish well up the ladder and this fact was demonstrated throughout the season.
technically, 2nd last since their For and Against was better than Kings ;)

TheScrumScientist

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hello.

With some fantastic fixtures approaching this weekend I am eager to acknowledge the presence of some standouts in the forward packs. The Scots men look down the scope of a very tough Joeys front row as we are all aware. The Scots pack have unfortunately encountered some changes to their team with much of their back row coming up with some large niggles after a wet encounter at View. The contest at the scrums will be very physical although I see the boys from BH coming out on top with an angry Barret getting flattened. Any opinions?

Look forward to witnessing the battle at BH

TSS.

crazy schoolboy

Peter Burge (5)
Hello.

With some fantastic fixtures approaching this weekend I am eager to acknowledge the presence of some standouts in the forward packs. The Scots men look down the scope of a very tough Joeys front row as we are all aware. The Scots pack have unfortunately encountered some changes to their team with much of their back row coming up with some large niggles after a wet encounter at View. The contest at the scrums will be very physical although I see the boys from BH coming out on top with an angry Barret getting flattened. Any opinions?

Look forward to witnessing the battle at BH

TSS.
Love to hear from you awesome chat very excited to see Di Staso at 12 this week!!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Love to hear from you awesome chat very excited to see Di Staso at 12 this week!!
This is a change to counter O. Jorgensen. He is improving each week in this position and the match up with Di Staso will be good to watch. I feel though TSC will be weakened by this move. P. Young (Joeys 7) will have a field day at the breakdown. Di Staso is an excellent snitch and gets through a ton of a work. You need to deny Joeys the ball.

Reminds me when Scots put the best number 7 in the country at 12 in 2001 and they lost the game. I recall Scots were camped on the Joeys line and took a scrum 15m out. They should have kicked for the corner as the lineout was unstoppable. They ran a move through the centres but the 12 "fluffed his lines' and Joeys won the ball back. A few moments later a Joeys field goal put them a converted try out of range. Tense game.

Status
Not open for further replies.