• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Here is next week's game to ponder.
Can anyone see an upset in this round?

tips week 3.jpg

SkyBlue

Banned
Here is next week's game to ponder.
Can anyone see an upset in this round?

View attachment 13566
With Katoa out a possible Riverview > Barker upset? Probably not but possible. I still have Barker winning relatively comfortably (health permitting). Shore should be a comfortable win especially if they play the same way they did vs Oakhill. Don't know enough about Augustine's to make a proper prediction, but I will say they manage to pull together some very talented teams every once in a while. Will be hard to knock over Kings though with the momentum they built against Scots. Those Scots vs Joeys and Knox vs Newington matchups could be VERY interesting. I'm backing Joeys because I thought they were more impressive vs Barker than Scots were, and a very comfortable win over a decent Knox side makes me favour them in this matchup. And I am going to say that Newington should just get over Knox in a closely contested matchup based on Newington's back-line and Knox's X-Factor in Saunders potentially being out.

Rippa

Peter Burge (5)
With Katoa out a possible Riverview > Barker upset? Probably not but possible. I still have Barker winning relatively comfortably (health permitting). Shore should be a comfortable win especially if they play the same way they did vs Oakhill. Don't know enough about Augustine's to make a proper prediction, but I will say they manage to pull together some very talented teams every once in a while. Will be hard to knock over Kings though with the momentum they built against Scots. Those Scots vs Joeys and Knox vs Newington matchups could be VERY interesting. I'm backing Joeys because I thought they were more impressive vs Barker than Scots were, and a very comfortable win over a decent Knox side makes me favour them in this matchup. And I am going to say that Newington should just get over Knox in a closely contested matchup based on Newington's back-line and Knox's X-Factor in Saunders potentially being out.
Newington’s backline is there Achilles heel at the moment

dave rennie

Banned
Here are my 2 cents on the previous round that was Scots against Kings.
Firstly would like to congratulate Kings on a stellar effort and demonstrated a masterclass in wet weather footy, playing excellent field position which essentially was the downfall of Scots. In fact their kicking game was so good that three out of their four tries were from kick chase. My first point to be made is that Scots saw the same weakness that they had against Newington, execution. I can't remember how many opportunities Scots had within Kings 22 but it was far more than kings had in theirs. Things saw to be a bit clunky in that area with miss passes, penalties conceded, and unforced errors.

My second point, although I am a strong believer of 'play the ball not the man', was the referee. Scots showed their dominance up front once again (with still in my opinion the best forward pack in the GPS) with their not so secret rolling maul. It was chaotic for Kings to defend and they had to resort to illegality in order to save their skin. One instance in particular Scots set a rolling maul on the kings side of the touchline and it picked up considerable steam, looking like it could go all the way from the 40, until a Kings player went around the side and illegally sacked a potential try. the act was left unsanctioned and a scrum to Kings. A few other instances like held up calls that looked to be clear tries, but those are 50/50.

In terms of standout players, Scots 15 very clear standout setting up a key try from a solo break resultant of strong running and sidestepping. Scots 10 again showing his ability to kick well, looking like the 'George Ford' of this Scots team with game management. Scots 6 and 7 each respectively having solid games, as well as the replacement back rower having a good impact and intensity which was much needed for Scots in the finishing third of the game. Both wingers played well with good defensive cover and kick cover, both look to have some serious pace which is handy. And it would feel wrong to leave out Scots 9, constantly having goes at the defense around the ruck keeping defenders guessing.

In conclusion I think this is nothing but a learning curve for Scots. From what I saw yesterday Zach Fittler needs more involvement. The ball in his hands in space is a serious weapon, we saw it against Barker, and now against kings. Give him the ball. potentially a move into the centres could do that for Scots, or simply making him more involved in set piece moves. A loss is a loss, but for the coaching staff and team, part of a loss is a win, because that loss shows you how to improve, which is all that matters between now and the first GPS round.

D.R

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Next Saturday marks the start of the GPS 3rd XV competition.

High V Shore (Centennial Park)
TAS v Joeys (Armidale)
Kings V Grammar (Parramatta)
View v Scots (Riverview Mud Pit)

Remember no Newington in 3rds Comp.

I really havent heard too much about TAS or Grammar pre-season trials. Joeys 3rds have taken on a number of school Firsts teams and been strong. Any form feedback on other schools?

High will be doing it tough. Maybe they should play Newington?

Would be great if we could find volunteers to provide score update

Joker, any interest in expanding your tipping comp to 3rds?

Rippa

Peter Burge (5)
Hello Dusk

Any chance of other results, hopefully, they might be more encouraging than the 1stXV.

Regards B&W
Hello B&W
Not here to disappoint you with my comments
But seriously this 1stXV backline is not in sync.
It maybe to late to fix it before first round of GPS

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Next Saturday marks the start of the GPS 3rd XV competition.

High V Shore (Centennial Park)
TAS v Joeys (Armidale)
Kings V Grammar (Parramatta)
View v Scots (Riverview Mud Pit)

Remember no Newington in 3rds Comp.

I really havent heard too much about TAS or Grammar pre-season trials. Joeys 3rds have taken on a number of school Firsts teams and been strong. Any form feedback on other schools?

High will be doing it tough. Maybe they should play Newington?

Would be great if we could find volunteers to provide score update

Joker, any interest in expanding your tipping comp to 3rds?
3rd XV Comp Preview

After a year off last year, I am back with weekly commentary on the 3rd XV competition which commences on Saturday 28 May.

There are 8 GPS teams competing over 7 rounds for the Col Windon Shield in 2022:
  • Grammar 1st XV
  • TAS 1st XV
  • High 1st XV
  • Scots 3rd XV
  • Riverview 3rd XV
  • Shore 3rd XV
  • Kings 3rd XV
  • Joeys 3rd XV
(As Armchair Selector notes, Newington does not play in the 3rd XV competition as previously explained on this forum.)

Grammar 1st XV
The defending premiers from 2020 will be keen to retain the shield in 2022. They have suffered some early trial losses against tough opposition but will be ready to defend the title this year. Their fantastic 2020 victory will no doubt provide inspiration for this season.

TAS 1st XV
It’s great to see TAS able to play, now that COVID travel restrictions are behind us. TAS had a recent victory over archrivals Kinross and last weekend played an early Round 6 comp game against High and won 50-0, so they are absolutely in great form to start the season. They will be looking to cause trouble for the Sydney based sides, especially those travelling to Armidale. The last TAS premiership was 2016.

High 1st XV
It continues to be a very tough assignment for the High 1st XV in this competition, but their dedicated group of players, coaches and supporters will ensure that they put up a good contest every week as they have in previous years.

Scots 3rd XV
Trial form has been excellent with wins over Barker, Stannis and Kings so far. Scots 3rds have been threatening for a few years now and this year look to have a strong side to challenge for the premiership. It’s been a while since they claimed the joint 3rd XV premiership win in 2014.

Riverview 3rd XV
Riverview have started with close losses to Knox, Kings and Cranbrook in the trials and will have to lift to be one of the major threats in this competition. They last won the 3rd XV premiership in 2018.

Shore 3rd XV
The rugby resurgence at Shore continues, and their 3rds have opened with excellent trial wins over Waverley, Knox and Oakhill. I think they are in the mix to win the shield for the first time this year so look for a bold showing.

Kings 3rd XV
With a close win over Riverview in the trials, Kings are certainly in the game once again and will prove to be a tough side this year, especially on JS White Oval. They are yet to win this new 3rd XV competition post 2012 but expect them to be thereabouts in 2022.

Joeys 3rd XV
The champions from 2019 are no doubt looking to return the shield from Rushcutters Bay to Hunters Hill, after losing the final game to Grammar in 2020. While they warmed up with a solid win over Kinross 1st XV in the trials, they will have to be on their game, particularly in the opening round in Armidale.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV Round 1 – 28 May

High v Shore
I expect that Shore will be far too strong for High in this opening encounter at Mackay Oval.

Kings v Grammar
A great opening match for the defending premiers against Kings at North Parramatta. Hard to pick, but I think that Kings are looking better on trial form.

Riverview v Scots
This should be another close tussle at Lane Cove, but based on early trial form I expect Scots to open their campaign with a win over Riverview.

TAS v Joeys
Match of the round for mine, as Joeys travels to Armidale for the first competition round, just as they did in 2019. It should be quite a spectacle on TAS Backfield which is a fantastic venue. A Cerise & Blue win is on the cards but will not be easy against a very capable TAS side.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Hello B&W
Not here to disappoint you with my comments
But seriously this 1stXV backline is not in sync.
It maybe to late to fix it before first round of GPS
Hello Rippa
No disappointment, just a reality check.Particularly, with it's backline. But the season is still early, so who knows. I would rather have Newington experiencing issues, now than later in the season. In Schoolboy Rugby a turn around in a team's performance, can often happen. So while there is no guarantee, this will happen, one can live in hope of better days to come.

If I remember correctly, back in about 2012, that Scots lost most of their preseason matches. Including a 43-5 thumping against Kings. In the last match of the season, Scots reversed the score, against Kings, to about 73-12.
As one commentator said on this site, "What happens in the Preseason, stays in the Preseason".

Regards
Black & White

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi Rippa

Would love to know your Newington backline. Please post it.

Watched the 1st XV New v Wav game Sat. Firstly, congrats to Wav for a great win. Smart rugby and played to their strenghts. 1 and 3 were colossal and made plenty of metres. Surprised New didn't throw the ball more to tire them out. Wav 7 I think in red headgear. Very good player at the breakdown. Backline was good and on a dry track with their speed could cause problems.
Newington kept kicking away possession. The couple of times they ran from broken play ie;15, 13 they looked dangerous but too often would kick and chase. Don't know if that is a Coaching or player issue but giving away the ball to Joeys 15 etc will hurt them. New forwards were ok but didn't have a lot of punch at the advantage line. Defence was solid and 1st Wav try was an intercept. 22-14 was a fair score however Wav did play better for most of the game. New scrum got tested and came through ok but line out needs work. Noticed one tall second rower who played against Auggies was in 2nds this week.
Will be a good test against Knox. Newington need to play smart. They have a good backline but need to keep the ball in hand.

Rippa, please reveal your New backline. Very interested.

16A's New had a good tough win against a strong Wav and New 2nds played well for a win.

Wyvernboy

Status
Not open for further replies.