• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMedow

Banned
Thoughts on the Joeys front row? They seemed to improve their scrums and lineouts last week. Just asking considering last year GPS 1s front row was all front row. However I assume with other damaging front rowers such as stiel it would be different but thoughts nonetheless?
Shores front row has really been there go to all season with stiel, johns and rouse all strong ball carriers, I think stiel and johns will go far in selection for school boys teams both definitely in contention for the 1st XV GPS team. I haven’t been able to watch all the teams Play, however I know Barret from joeys is a star and will be there too. From kings Basten and Park I believe they are very strong as well as tuniu Jorgensen from newington!

Chilli Rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
He was the only person that I can remember to make GPS 1sts while still in Year 9.

Wasn’t Sualli also 15 when selected for GPS 1sts? Can’t remember if made Schoolboys (or whatever they call it now) at 15 as well. If not I’m presuming Elton Flatley would be youngest Australian Schoolboys rep
Joseph Sua'ali'i played GPS 1st XV 2018 (Year 9 - aged 14)
1654602635795.png

and played Aust Schoolboys XV in 2019 having just turned 16.
Flatley was 17 when he played Aust Schoolboys

Last edited:
Shores front row has really been there go to all season with stiel, johns and rouse all strong ball carriers, I think stiel and johns will go far in selection for school boys teams both definitely in contention for the 1st XV GPS team. I haven’t been able to watch all the teams Play, however I know Barret from joeys is a star and will be there too. From kings Basten and Park I believe they are very strong as well as tuniu Jorgensen from newington!

I love shore, but we haven't played many good sides - Scots being out toughest challenge yet. But schools like trinity, oakhill and augs will be no where near the level of GPS this year. Making not so good players look good.

tarzan

Bob McCowan (2)
Tarzan GPS XV backline;
9. Nick Lamming (Riverview) - An extremely under rated halfback in the GPS. Nick Lamming has improved significantly over the past 2-3 years. His pass is quick, smooth and accurate. What is impressive about Nick is that he is a team player and doesn't overplay his hand. He just provides a great platforms for the backs and forwards.
10. Joseph Fowler (Joeys) - Incredible talent. kicking game and team coordination is top tier. But...do not forget his strong tackling defense. Over his time at St josephs, he has made some absolute huge hits w great tackle techniqu. I'd back him into GPS 1 and even higher honours if he stays injury free.
11. Oscar Jorgensen (Joeys)- Cousin of Max. Oscar. has been very impressive this season, swatting opposition wingers out of his way with his right hand fend. Oscar is in year 11, and in his second year of 1XV, I think he deserves the opportunity to play rep footy.
12. Tyrese Lokeni (Kings) - Tyrese is a simple, yet effective player. His strong ball running and instinctive ability to offload makes him deserve the no.12 jersey for GPS. (With Joseph at 10 you wouldn't need a ball playing 12)
13. Ronan Leahy (Joeys) - Ronan is a dynamic 13, who has the ability to break tackles, pass, step and kick. His defence is Len Ikitau a like. Plus, he has played with Max Jorgensen for a few years so the team chemistry would be great.
14. Hadley Tonga (Kings) - Fast and allusive, I think Hadley should be rewarded with a wing spot in the GPS 1XV. He is an athletic player, with damaging speed.
15. Max Jorgensen (Joeys) - Speaks for himself. Freak !

Honourable mentions:
no.9 (Billy Dickens, Newington) (Hwi Sharples, Joeys)
no.10 (Henry James, Scots) =9
no.11(Wil Malloy, Joeys) (Tom Klem, Shore)
no.12 (Julien C, Riverview) and (Leo Bassingthwaite, Shore) (Ollie Cummins, Scots) although he has being banned he deserves mention
no.13 (Max Threkeld, Riverview)
no.14 (Jesse Mclean, Newington)
no.15 (Zach Fitler, Scots) (Siteni Taukamono, Newington)

Additional Information;
I know this is a very joeys loaded backline but they pick themselves with their abilities and POTENTIAL.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Siteni Takuamo has moved to position 14 (at least in the trials) which I think he is significantly better at. He proved himself at that position during the game against Knox.

EyesUpFootyFan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Tarzan GPS XV backline;
9. Nick Lamming (Riverview) - An extremely under rated halfback in the GPS. Nick Lamming has improved significantly over the past 2-3 years. His pass is quick, smooth and accurate. What is impressive about Nick is that he is a team player and doesn't overplay his hand. He just provides a great platforms for the backs and forwards.
10. Joseph Fowler (Joeys) - Incredible talent. kicking game and team coordination is top tier. But...do not forget his strong tackling defense. Over his time at St josephs, he has made some absolute huge hits w great tackle techniqu. I'd back him into GPS 1 and even higher honours if he stays injury free.
11. Oscar Jorgensen (Joeys)- Cousin of Max. Oscar. has been very impressive this season, swatting opposition wingers out of his way with his right hand fend. Oscar is in year 11, and in his second year of 1XV, I think he deserves the opportunity to play rep footy.
12. Tyrese Lokeni (Kings) - Tyrese is a simple, yet effective player. His strong ball running and instinctive ability to offload makes him deserve the no.12 jersey for GPS. (With Joseph at 10 you wouldn't need a ball playing 12)
13. Ronan Leahy (Joeys) - Ronan is a dynamic 13, who has the ability to break tackles, pass, step and kick. His defence is Len Ikitau a like. Plus, he has played with Max Jorgensen for a few years so the team chemistry would be great.
14. Hadley Tonga (Kings) - Fast and allusive, I think Hadley should be rewarded with a wing spot in the GPS 1XV. He is an athletic player, with damaging speed.
15. Max Jorgensen (Joeys) - Speaks for himself. Freak !

Honourable mentions:
no.9 (Billy Dickens, Newington) (Hwi Sharples, Joeys)
no.10 (Henry James, Scots) =9
no.11(Wil Malloy, Joeys) (Tom Klem, Shore)
no.12 (Julien C, Riverview) and (Leo Bassingthwaite, Shore) (Ollie Cummins, Scots) although he has being banned he deserves mention
no.13 (Max Threkeld, Riverview)
no.14 (Jesse Mclean, Newington)

Additional Information;
I know this is a very joeys loaded backline but they pick themselves with their abilities and POTENTIAL.
I think it’s pretty rough to leave out Perkins from Riverview. He played a bit of GPS 1st XV last year, and has been handy for the boys from lane cove in all games I have been at (only a few, so others may know more than I). Slightly harsh to not even have him in HM. Very dynamic player with lots to offer any backline.

PhilJackson

Bob McCowan (2)
Enough about the backs. Anyone have any thoughts on the forward pack. The battle for loose head will be close but I’m leaning towards Jack barret as his running game and general play is unmatched. Second row will possibly be a weak point of this already very strong side. The back row has a few options but I believe Ben Distaso has proved himself as a 6 but the 7 slot still very open. Thoughts?

BringTheBiff

Frank Nicholson (4)
Enough about the backs. Anyone have any thoughts on the forward pack. The battle for loose head will be close but I’m leaning towards Jack barret as his running game and general play is unmatched. Second row will possibly be a weak point of this already very strong side. The back row has a few options but I believe Ben Distaso has proved himself as a 6 but the 7 slot still very open. Thoughts?
agreed would love to know everyone's thoughts on the forward pack I think it is quite open!! I think Jackson Stiel will be able to slide in at 3 as he is playing too well not to be selected
First time poster BTB :)

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi Dusk

Agree 100%. Great team connection is very important. Grow the boys together. If there are boys you have to slot in, do so, however if they are travelling well, learning to play together and their skills are improving, then why change the make up of the team. I'm sure coaches have this debate all the time, but most of the time, a champion team will beat a team of champions. That is why I'm against promoting yr10 boys into the firsts too soon. Let them stay in 16's. Let them dominate and connect with their team mates that they have played together since 13's. I know there will always be exceptions to the rule cause some kids are "talented" but isn't the end game to win the 1st XV premiership and not self promotion. Some years are "weaker" than others so young ones get bumped up, but to what end. Maybe "sacrifice"a year and bring the boys up together. It's a 50/50 call but I'm on the keep them together side.

Wyvernboy

BringTheBiff

Frank Nicholson (4)
I love shore, but we haven't played many good sides - Scots being out toughest challenge yet. But schools like trinity, oakhill and augs will be no where near the level of GPS this year. Making not so good players look good.
I still think Stiel and Johns were standouts in that scots game showing they can still play against the best teams. They both combined for a great try aswell!!!

allthingsfooty

Frank Row (1)
GPS 1’s GPS 2’s GPS 3’s

1Jack Barrett (J)Tanui Jorgenson (N)Freddie Toone (G)
2Cam Johns (E)Bailey Park (K)Lipina Ata (N)
3Jackson Stiel (E)Henry Basten (K)Sam Berckleman (S)
4Oliver McCrea (S)Ned Ritchens (E)Darcy Fogarty (J)
5Archie Campbell (J)Charles Cooper (I)Kings 5 (K)
6Ben Di Staso (S)Harry Darling (J)Richard Penisini (K)
7Jayden Viliamu (N)Harry Davis (S)Austin Burbridge (K)
8Tim Sekel (I)Nick Harris (K)Liam Sullivan (I)
9Nicholas Lamming (I)Will Rorsheim (E)Billy Dickens (N)
10Ben Dufficy (K)Joey Fowler (J)Saxon Fenwick (K)
11William Perkins (I)Thomas Klem (E)Liam Grover (I)
12Jullien Caillol (I)Tyrese Loheni (K)Leo Bassingthwaite (E)
13Ronan Leahy (J)Max Threlkell (I)Jess McLean (N)
14Hadley Tonga (K)Siteni Taukumao (N)Henry Murray (E)
15Max Jorgensen (J)Dougal Payne (E)Angus Staniforth (K)
All based on personal opinion, no hate all the players in the GPS are playing great and whoever gets picked, the GPS will have a great team!

Last edited:

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
All I can add is that thank goodness I am not selecting anymore.

I worked as a AAGPS selector with another staff member from Scots College and we had to travel and watch the trial games involving other GPS schools. We were lucky though that we had much more time to evaluate the players. In 2001 there were at least 6 games we had to watch before the first round of the GPS. Why two selectors? It helped tremendously to find blind-spots in certain play. Eg. I once said the boy was a dynamic runner, but my partner pointed out that he didn't work hard enough at the breakdown.

The final selection meetings were quite quick as by then all the selectors had seen the games and the positions were filled fairly well. I recall the 2001 1st XV team was dominated by Joeys and there were very few challenges to the consensus. Scots had a few boys in I recall but we never saw them play! A selector was not allowed to promote a lad from their school. I did this for three years.

Now I enjoy the game.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
ATF, thanks for putting that together. Broadly agree with most of your choices. A good spread across most schools.

Not sure you're going to get 2 5/8ths from Kings selected!

As Basten (K) was GPS2 last year, I would imagine he would get the nod over Stiel (E) at tight head.

I think the Joeys V Shore Round 1 clash will determine who your other front rowers are. Joeys have had a dominant front row so I would expect Moxham (THP) and Heaven (Hooker) will be there somewhere.

2nd Row and Back Row selections will have players compromising on preferred positions. Some back rowers may be playing in 4 or 5 jerseys!

No room for Oscar Jorgensen (J) in your first 3 teams?? He's been a stand out in my mind.

Also Will Perkins was GPS1 in 2021. Tough to find a spot in 1s in 2022.

Hopefully TAS and Grammar get a few selected in Blue and White. Cant see any from High making the grade

RuckitRory

Stan Wickham (3)

As Basten (K) was GPS2 last year, I would imagine he would get the nod over Stiel (E) at tight head.
Stiel was also GPS2 last year. The chemistry of Johns and Stiel is unmatched and both have been playing out of their skin so far this year, so I think putting them in the front row is a good idea. They have combined for many meat pies so far this year and hopefully more to come!

BringTheBiff

Frank Nicholson (4)
Stiel was also GPS2 last year. The chemistry of Johns and Stiel is unmatched and both have been playing out of their skin so far this year, so I think putting them in the front row is a good idea. They have combined for many meat pies so far this year and hopefully more to come!
100% agree RIR they have both been playing outstanding footy and have been the strength of shores fowards this year!!

allthingsfooty

Frank Row (1)
ATF, thanks for putting that together. Broadly agree with most of your choices. A good spread across most schools.

I think the Joeys V Shore Round 1 clash will determine who your other front rowers are. Joeys have had a dominant front row so I would expect Moxham (THP) and Heaven (Hooker) will be there somewhere.

2nd Row and Back Row selections will have players compromising on preferred positions. Some back rowers may be playing in 4 or 5 jerseys!

No room for Oscar Jorgensen (J) in your first 3 teams?? He's been a stand out in my mind.

Also Will Perkins was GPS1 in 2021. Tough to find a spot in 1s in 2022.

Hopefully TAS and Grammar get a few selected in Blue and White. Cant see any from High making the grade
Perkins was a tough one I think I may put him in my 1's over Siteni, mostly for the lack of games Siteni has played this year

Joeys front row has been nothing special, besides Barrett who I think has equal impact as max Jorgensen and oscar Jorgensen is a good player but I couldn't put him over any of the other wingers I named.

Status
Not open for further replies.