• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
sadly this is also the case at riverview, the principle there is very much for getting rid of the “culture” and is slowing undermining the rugby there. Would be no surprise if we saw him even ban warcies etc in the future
NO WAY!.......I despise View but I do admire their cheering and passion. When View scored that try 2 minutes from the end in 2018 agaisnt Joeys the place went ballistic. Incredible. Makes for a great experience too when Joeys can shut them up. Keep up the great work you insane lunatics.

How to silence 1600 View boys.... (I do not condone the pitch invasion by old boys at all)

Last edited:

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi Joker

No Good. Would you rather 2 more Soccer teams than 2 AFL teams ? By limiting the number of soccer teams it may have backfired and led to AFL teams. I might be wrong but when Joeys start to go down the dark path .... what could happen to the rest.

Wyvernboy

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
People forget that the procedure of the referee controlling the scrum process, screeching "crouch, bind, set", and penalising early shoves, wheeling, collapsing etc is a relatively recent phenomenon. Back in the day the ref would call for a scrum, indicate the spot and back off - the packs would then sort out everything from there, and engage how and when they saw fit. This wasn't all that long ago - check out some vintage footage.

I have a radical suggestion for fixing scrums in the current environment - have all 4 props NOT bind with their outside arm, but prop their elbow on their outside knee, thus forcing the outside legs forward into a stable, firm position. There would still be room for the ball to go in (striaght!), and it would force the hookers to actually strike for the ball, currently a lost art. And I can guarantee there would be no collapsed scrums.
Thanks Ace for that observation. In 2002 a county coach in Ireland made such a suggestion that they tried it. The results were mixed. The scrums were de-powered somewhat (I am sure there will be a way to empirically measure this) and tight heads were rare as props were not wheeling a scrum to achieve such a result.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Hi Joker

No Good. Would you rather 2 more Soccer teams than 2 AFL teams ? By limiting the number of soccer teams it may have backfired and led to AFL teams. I might be wrong but when Joeys start to go down the dark path .... what could happen to the rest.

Wyvernboy
Joeys played AFL before 1896 as the Marist Brothers considered the rugby to be too rough. Common sense prevailed as Joeys wanted to join in the rugby competition due to AFL not being widely played. Hence a darkness fell upon the land till less than a decade ago AFL crept back in. It is by all accounts kept incheck by the school and boys. Having a rugby culture unseen anywhere in Oz helps too.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
primary-12734758D-800x480.jpg

AAGPS RUGBY TIPS MUST BE IN BY MIDNIGHT
Tomorrow morning I will post this weeks selections.

TheSwindleKicker

Frank Nicholson (4)
NO WAY!.......I despise View but I do admire their cheering and passion. When View scored that try 2 minutes from the end in 2018 agaisnt Joeys the place went ballistic. Incredible. Makes for a great experience too when Joeys can shut them up. Keep up the great work you insane lunatics.

How to silence 1600 View boys.... (I do not condone the pitch invasion by old boys at all)

yes it is very sad and it can be seen with their so called mascot “iggy the moocher”who has been around for years and who all the boys love with it being one of the key things they look forward to in year 12, is now banned. I know it has created uneasiness and upset within the View year 12 cohort that such a lengthy tradition is taken away from them.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
yes it is very sad and it can be seen with their so called mascot “iggy the moocher”who has been around for years and who all the boys love with it being one of the key things they look forward to in year 12, is now banned. I know it has created uneasiness and upset within the View year 12 cohort that such a lengthy tradition is taken away from them.
Sad to see, I don't understand why some people just hate fun, what problems could that mascot possibly cause. Something that brings tradition, unity and a good old bit of fun to the boys has absolutely no reason to be banned.

GubersonDoo6Again

Frank Row (1)
BW

I have many concerns with the "dying sport" of rugby. Perhaps in 10 years GPS and CAS rugby might turn to a Rugby League competition.Couldn’t agree mor
SB

I’m watching the brumbies v sanders at the moment and I couldn’t agree more. If only the brumbies had some strapping NRL throbbies out there maybe they’d be spanking the best team in provincial rugby.

perhaps the GPS should adopt rugby league football.

alright play on. 6 again !

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
OS

You are fundamentally wrong here. The ARU has become farcical with its financial situation barely boasting a positive. Rugby League has unfortunately overtaken rugby union and I dont see it slowing. look at the likes of Crichton, Billy Smith, Penisini, Sua'ali'i, Taane Milne Cameron Murray etc... all lost to Rugby League. Particularly loosing talents such as Sua'ali'i and Crichton highlighted the ongoing financial troubles of the ARU.

SB
Total nonsense. League is strong in 2 states of Australia, population IDK, 12m perhaps….. the list of players you provide as x lost to league were all league players, they attended GPS schools on unmentionable arrangements and were always going back. Rugby Union is thriving globally, the opportunity for players globally is well beyond that of league. Yes, RA has lost it’s way but there are many good signs that there are firmer hands on the wheel now. Onwards and upwards, death ride the game if you wish but I will spend Saturday watching excellent GPS games and on Sunday I will watch local club games, volunteer to run the line, cook the bbq and have a cold beer with mates. What will you do?

SB

I’m watching the brumbies v sanders at the moment and I couldn’t agree more. If only the brumbies had some strapping NRL throbbies out there maybe they’d be spanking the best team in provincial rugby.

perhaps the GPS should adopt rugby league football.

alright play on. 6 again !

Yes perhaps. Although Union and League should be played both during the winter season. The student athletes should have a choice between the sports. Just giving them variety.

I'm just trying to be forward thinking and improve the quality of rugby as a sport in this country!

SB

Total nonsense. League is strong in 2 states of Australia, population IDK, 12m perhaps….. the list of players you provide as x lost to league were all league players, they attended GPS schools on unmentionable arrangements and were always going back. Rugby Union is thriving globally, the opportunity for players globally is well beyond that of league. Yes, Rugby Australia has lost it’s way but there are many good signs that there are firmer hands on the wheel now. Onwards and upwards, death ride the game if you wish but I will spend Saturday watching excellent GPS games and on Sunday I will watch local club games, volunteer to run the line, cook the bbq and have a cold beer with mates. What will you do?

I'll be watching Joeys v Barker good sir, and then I'll be watching the mighty Titans take on the dragons.

*apologies for being a degenerate Titans fan.

GubersonDoo6Again

Frank Row (1)
Yes perhaps. Although Union and League should be played both during the winter season. The student athletes should have a choice between the sports. Just giving them variety.

I'm just trying to be forward thinking and improve the quality of rugby as a sport in this country!

SB
Blumped, I’m not sure if this is a good idea. Whilst I love the 13 man game and the athletes are objectively better, this alignment would cannibalise from union and there would be less players.

imo union played in summer and league in winter would be optimal.

just some suggestions.

Look Guberson,

Whilst I like your sentiment, it would seem unwise to play Union in summer as it is the historic sport of the AAGPS. I think Union should stay in winter and League in summer. Also, it is up for debate whether the athletes are better in league or union. I do think Josh Addo-Carr would beat Micheal Hooper in a 100m race, although Im not 100% sure. Could be on the money.

Touch. Pause. Engage!

SB

Blumped, I’m not sure if this is a good idea. Whilst I love the 13 man game and the athletes are objectively better, this alignment would cannibalise from union and there would be less players.

imo union played in summer and league in winter would be optimal.

just some suggestions.
SB and GD,
these suggestions and comments centralised around the idea that RL is superior to union, and should take over the GPS competition is simply blasphemy. rugby union as a sport upholds key values such as respect and sportsmanship, a gentlemens game as you will. the wretched poison that is rugby league represents the very antithesis of these values, as the sport is surrounded with negative connotations resultant of domestic abuse cases, prevalent drug use etc. Therefore, baring no right to our sacred GPS competition.

stick to what we know.
-DB

GubersonDoo6Again

Frank Row (1)
SB and GD,
these suggestions and comments centralised around the idea that Rugby League is superior to union, and should take over the GPS competition is simply blasphemy. rugby union as a sport upholds key values such as respect and sportsmanship, a gentlemens game as you will. the wretched poison that is rugby league represents the very antithesis of these values, as the sport is surrounded with negative connotations resultant of domestic abuse cases, prevalent drug use etc. Therefore, baring no right to our sacred GPS competition.

stick to what we know.
-DB
Dingle,
Respectfully. I agree with you contention, and I believe it is uncontentious that respect and sportsmanship are the key principles that underpin the purpose of our school community sports. But don’t these principles hold their foundations in the game of 13 men? Last I checked, a key celebration in league was the handshake amongst team mates, as evidenced in the below image. Let me know of your thoughts.
As always,

Ruck on!

Attachments

• 95D72C0D-8C23-433F-A263-567FD20BB2A0.jpeg
    95D72C0D-8C23-433F-A263-567FD20BB2A0.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 79
Dingle,
Respectfully. I agree with you contention, and I believe it is uncontentious that respect and sportsmanship are the key principles that underpin the purpose of our school community sports. But don’t these principles hold their foundations in the game of 13 men? Last I checked, a key celebration in league was the handshake amongst team mates, as evidenced in the below image. Let me know of your thoughts.
As always,

Ruck on!
Guberson,
your proposition that the honourable foundations that uphold rugby union are shared with RL is flawed. although 'the handshake' is a traditionally practiced celebration in the game of 13 men, its prevalence has begun to fade exponentially. the image provided fails to stand as evidence for your proposition as the context of this 'shake' was not that of a scored try, but a confirmation of an undercover methamphetamine distribution trade agreement involving both parties,
do your research.

-DB

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Look Guberson,

Whilst I like your sentiment, it would seem unwise to play Union in summer as it is the historic sport of the AAGPS. I think Union should stay in winter and League in summer. Also, it is up for debate whether the athletes are better in league or union. I do think Josh Addo-Carr would beat Micheal Hooper in a 100m race, although Im not 100% sure. Could be on the money.

Touch. Pause. Engage!

SB
i completely agree with league in the summer! Newington offers Touch Football which is essentially rugby league with less players and its better suited for summer season.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Anyone here coming to Stannies vs Tsc this weekend? I'll do reports on the scores throughout the day. Hoping for some quality footy.

Loose Carry

Peter Burge (5)
Hi Joker

Wyvernboy
There are no AFL teams at Joeys. They have not limited their soccer teams. It is demand based. If a boy wants to play soccer he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.