• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi Joker

Not to ruin tradition, but could you give me an explanation as to why there would be Joey's Old Boys reunions on an away game at Riverview ?
1) Wouldn't you do a reunion at home ( I know New does as well as Scots. not sure other schools )
2) Wouldn't this potentially and probably add to the crowd "disruptions" by having 2 sets of old boys at the same ground.

Doesn't make sense. Old boys ( any old boys ) can attend any games but to organise an official reunion at an away game esp against View is looking for trouble. This is not to say View should not host the game and the school should imo do everything they can to host it safely etc but I think it's adding petrol to a potential fire.

Thoughts ?

Wyvernboy

TheSwindleKicker

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hi Joker

Not to ruin tradition, but could you give me an explanation as to why there would be Joey's Old Boys reunions on an away game at Riverview ?
1) Wouldn't you do a reunion at home ( I know New does as well as Scots. not sure other schools )
2) Wouldn't this potentially and probably add to the crowd "disruptions" by having 2 sets of old boys at the same ground.

Doesn't make sense. Old boys ( any old boys ) can attend any games but to organise an official reunion at an away game esp against View is looking for trouble. This is not to say View should not host the game and the school should imo do everything they can to host it safely etc but I think it's adding petrol to a potential fire.

Thoughts ?

Wyvernboy
I don’t have much knowledge about the reunions and don’t take my word for it but i would assume it’s due to the View vs Joeys game being so iconic and big?

Im sure the Joker will have the correct explanation.

Hi All

Firstly, Great game of Rugby played between Scots and Newington. Both teams played with spirit and committment and the result could have gone either way although imo Newington were the better team throughout the whole game.

Before I get to the game, I would like to thank the Scots parents and especially the Scots Old Boys on the Balcony form their hospitality. Being told at the BBQ " good luck, you'll need it " and the booing and shouting at the end from the majority of OB's on the Balcony before the last New conversion, makes me even happier to leave BH with a win ( and even sweeter when it's by 1 point at the death ). So, again, Thank you. It was a memorable win for the great unwashed and a very loud and proud car trip home to our single story fibro shack.

I have to start by eating my words. The coach pulled off a master stroke by having J.McGregor at 15 and D.Wright at 10. McGregor was man of the match at 15. His rugby smarts came through esp in the 2nd half. His Decision making against the wind ( kicks to the corners and taking on the line when he had to) was spot on. His Try in the cnr was exceptional. So well done to the caoches.

New Front row. Didn't stop all day. No subs and out on their feet. Big T.Jorgensen trucked it up all day. kept the d close to ruck tight and finished by playing a little bit of halfback near the end. Has really worked on his fitness and well deserved GPS selection. No.3 T.Maclean was unsighted all game. That's because he was in the bottom of everything. Played hard and made his tackles. Lipina Ata GPS 1STS No2. Great game and equal man of the match. Scored a great meat pie in the first half after a patient build up and trucked it up nice and straight. His line out throws have improved and held up the scrum well. Front row 8/10. Has improved and will need to match the Joeys front row in RD2.

New 4,5 played well. J.Veiru trucked it up and made his tackles. L.Bertrams oneof the most improved players. Line outs were good considering Scots tall timber. The last 4min he won the line outs when the game was on the line so well done. Keep up the hard work.

Back row. No6 J.Viliamu GPS 1STS No.6, equal mom. Strong runs, bled for the team and linked well with the backs. No7. M.Hyslop again another unsighted player who did his job and did it well. No8 J.Vaálotu. Trucked it up and made his tackles. Keep working.

No.9 B.Dickens. directed play well, took the right options, didn't overplay his hand and kept the talk up till the end. passes were mainly accurate and unlucky not to be 1,2 GPS team. First game back No.10 D. Wright combined with Dickens and outside backs well. Kicked well, tackled well and let the outside backs do their jobs. unselfish and played smart.

No.12 E.Barton, ran strong and tackled well. WOULD have been a good contest against Cummins. No.13 J McLean played with freedom and was given too much room to move. Was not tested by the Scots backs much, but did enough to shut them down. Plyed well.

11 W.Quinn solid and made his tackles. Took the right options and linked well with 13,14,15. No14. S.Taukamo. Great game. Goal Kicked well under presuure, ran well, tackled and did not over play his hand. If he can grubber kick down the sidelines/corners ala 15 instead of risky chip kicks, he'd be better off. Overall, unlucky to not make GPS 1's.

15 J.McGregor. Schooled Scots much heralded 15 on how to play a smart, tactical game. Ran, kicked and tackled great. Well done.

Overall, New's game plan was well though out and pretty well executed. Used the wind well in the first half to take the points. Played patient footy. Forwards did the job in the middle and backs used their flair. Set pieces had improved and did enough in the scrum against a bigger opponent and line outs to win enough ball. Break downs were pretty even. 2nd half was owned by New's 15 who played it down Scots corner. 27-21 with 4 mins to go. Game on the line. This New team did not panic. Kicked off deep. Closed Scots down in their East corner, won the line outs that mattered and used the battering rams to punch up steadily and patiently until Scots cracked and went in on side of the posts. Pressure kick to win and ball sailed over the black dot towards the Scots Old Boys. The bagpipes were silenced !!!

Thought Scots could have thrown the ball more and used 11,14 and 15. Did not take on the line until the end. Forwards played ok. 4 was very good. 6 was dirty but everywhere. They had a few passengers in the forwards ( won't single anyone out ) but didn't use their beef enough up the middle.

Great win. Good start. Enjoy the holidays. play the rep games. Come out healthy and get ready for Rd2 at HH.

New will gain a lot of confidence out of the win but can improve in some areas but overall, hats off to the coaches and players.

New 2nds lost. 2 tries all but they were not beaten by talent. they beat themselves by not playing smart with the wind. This team can play better.

New 16A's had a very good win and went away with it in the 2nd half. New 10 and 15 are outstanding. Few big boppers in the forward helps.

Enjoy the holidays and see you in 3 weeks

Wyvernboy
Scots crowd was excellent, a true demonstration of culture. Old boys were on fire as well, not sure where the Newington crowd was, perhaps they thought it was a home game. Newington number 2,6 and 15 were standouts. Scots underperformed, however the 6 wasn't grubby at all not sure what game you were watching. Maybe you had a schooey to many on the balcony at Scots. Anyway good time, couple bad takes from old Wyervenboy, get of your high horse mate.

wyvernboy

Banned
Of Course TheSwindleKicker. Probably the biggest game of the season but in recent years there has been trouble caused by both sets of old boys which could be avoided by not having 3 lots of reunions to an away game regardless of who's home game it is. Lots of space at both HH and View for pitch invasions etc. Schools have enough on their plates dealing with the students let alone a few hundred ........ Old Boys. Unfortunately, View has had enough and scheduled the game outside to the detriment of the players and spectators.
Are View aware of these reunions ? Can't Joeys not have them on that day ? ( not picking on Joeys just can't understand reunions at away games ).
New would be hard pressed getting their old boys to their home games except on Back to New day. I guess most of them have to work to keep their kids at the school or have better things to do.

Wyvernboy

O

Old High Boy

Not sure what has happened to everyone over the weekend, but there sure is some conflict brewing on this forum...
if it doesn't stop I am sure that the 'Cyclops-Warrior-Forum-Head-Kicker' will be paying us all a visit, and soon...

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Of Course TheSwindleKicker. Probably the biggest game of the season but in recent years there has been trouble caused by both sets of old boys which could be avoided by not having 3 lots of reunions to an away game regardless of who's home game it is. Lots of space at both HH and View for pitch invasions etc. Schools have enough on their plates dealing with the students let alone a few hundred ........ Old Boys. Unfortunately, View has had enough and scheduled the game outside to the detriment of the players and spectators.
Are View aware of these reunions ? Can't Joeys not have them on that day ? ( not picking on Joeys just can't understand reunions at away games ).
New would be hard pressed getting their old boys to their home games except on Back to New day. I guess most of them have to work to keep their kids at the school or have better things to do.

Wyvernboy
The Riverview game day is popular for reunions because of factors that would appear to be in direct contrast. The cross river rivalry is obvious, less obvious though is that there is often a quite close relationship between the 2 groups, the reasons for this are too many to go into here. In the past, my year has even informally arranged with the View boys for our events to coincide by ending up back at the same pub, the publicans certainly didn't seem to mind.

TheBatman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can’t wait for Leichhardt. The Riverview crowd was a spectacle to see against Barker, over 500 strong. It’s an awesome atmosphere at the ground. Unfortunate for the Year 12s for View whose last home game won’t be against Joeys.

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi Stephenmoorebeers

Good stuff. Here we go.

Scots students were great. Solid numbers for a home game. Respectful when kickers lined up and cheered loud when their team was doing well.
Old boys were on fire. Usual noise from the balcony. Hope your head went down as the ball went over the posts. Having one field on campus ( real estate in BH is expensive even in 1893 ) leaves a few younger students out. Would have liked to see more however a core group of yr12, and 16's hung around. Hope you enjoyed the New's victory song. Agree New 2,6 and 15 were great and special mention to 14 for ignoring the Old Boys noise and kicking it for the win . Scots did underperform. Thought you relied on half your pack to make the hard yards. 6 was very good just niggly but New boys took it and he deserved his GPS 1sts selection.
As far as me on the balcony, I wouldn't know what a second story is mate. I wouldn't be welcomed up there and I wouldn't waste my time up there anyway. Glad to be amongst my own. That Scots "AIR" affects the Old Boys too much but I walked next to my horse all the way home. Very happy indeed !!!!
Till next time. Enjoy the rest of the season Stephenmoorebeers.

Wyvernboy

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I don’t have much knowledge about the reunions and don’t take my word for it but i would assume it’s due to the View vs Joeys game being so iconic and big?

Im sure the Joker will have the correct explanation.
Nope, you nailed it. I had a reunion at a View game once. It was because we just wanted to see Joeys beat View and travelling to see that is no issue. We had warm ups at the Longy, stumbled down the hill and had a TWO buses to collect us after the game to head to the Oaks, Double Bay for the official night.

A great game as well. Can you name the year?

St Joseph's v St Ignatius at Riverview

As usual a large crowd gathered to watch what turned out to be an enthralling match between St Joseph's and St Ignatius. Laurie Weeks replaced Duncan Hardy in the front row. Within two minutes Riverview took the early lead with a penalty goal. For the first 15 minutes, the match was played inside the St Joseph's half until a fine run by Thomas Healey took play to the Riverview 22. The ball was then swung wide to the opposite side of the field where Carraro and Thompson made good ground before play going into touch 5 metres from the line. From the lineout St Joseph's won possession and decided to drive for the line with Fergus Domey grounding for a try and Matthew Carraro converting. Thes core now 7-3. Play then moved quickly from end to end with Riverview almost scoring and then St Joseph's. While inside their own half Riverview elected to kick, but failing to find touch Jordan Thompson was able to counter and bring play back to halfway. From the breakdown, the ball was shifted quickly through Adam D'Arcy to Tom Azar who broke through a number of defenders and scored between the posts. This was an outstanding run from Azar and fitting of what was the 3000th try scored by St Joseph's in GPS competition. Carraro converted to push the score to 14-3. Shortly before the break Riverview narrowed the score to 14- 6 with a penalty goal.

The start of the second half saw St Joseph's dominate field position and possession but unable to crack the excellent Riverview defence. Riverview were the next to score through a further penalty goal to make the score 14-9. St Joseph's continued to attack and again, although dominating field position, were unable to score until eventually a penalty goal by Matthew Carraro relieved the tension and took the score to 17-9. Riverview struck back almost immediately scoring in the corner. A successful conversion from the touch line took the score to 17-16. Carraro moved the score to 20-16 with a further penalty goal.

In the final minutes of the match Riverview were on the attack but desperate St Joseph's defence prevented a further score. The match was a wonderful spectacle played in outstanding spirit by both sides.

St Joseph's 20 defeated St Ignatius 16.

Last edited:

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Can’t wait for Leichhardt. The Riverview crowd was a spectacle to see against Barker, over 500 strong. It’s an awesome atmosphere at the ground. Unfortunate for the Year 12s for View whose last home game won’t be against Joeys.
There will be some disappointment for some but a sunny afternoon at Leichhardt for what will be a great contest could be hugely memorable.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
An update on the Under age tables.

This is the first time this has been attempted. Many have mused over the idea but never been brave enough to try. I am proud to say a couple of Joeys Old Boys are behind this and one very talented statistician.

This weekend we have started to collate scores and create tables for the younger A and B teams.
This is a big undertaking and so far we have been well supported.
As many would understand this only works when people help us out with scores.

Results outstanding
  • 13B - Kings v View
  • 14B - Kings v View
  • 15A - Kings v View
  • 15B - Kings v View and Scots v Newington
  • 16B - Kings v View and Scots v Newington
In the 14Bs, we have shown Scots having a bye (with no points) since apparently Newington is not fielding a 14Bs!?

A REMINDER- These results are limited to the 6 official GPS schools in the top comp only, so results v Grammar, Pius etc don't count and are not shown. Trying to include Grammar and High makes it messy.

Can we expect to hear from someone at Riverview?? Kings?? Newington??
If you know a result and score, let me know.
13Bs Kings v View was 56/5 to View

In regards to the potential movement of the View v Joeys game. Could it be trying to avoid the embarrassment that is the state of that field and hill at the moment.

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi Joker

I'll have a crack. Knowing Mr Carraro from Newington ( he was a teacher there up till last year ), I don't know his age but I gather the year could be 1995. Could be completely wrong. 2nd guess 2001.

Wyvernboy

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Nope, you nailed it. I had a reunion at a View game once. It was because we just wanted to see Joeys beat View and travelling to see that is no issue. We had warm ups at the Longy, stumbled down the hill and had a TWO buses to collect us after the game to head to the Oaks, Double Bay for the official night.

A great game as well. Can you name the year?

St Joseph's v St Ignatius at Riverview

As usual a large crowd gathered to watch what turned out to be an enthralling match between St Joseph's and St Ignatius. Laurie Weeks replaced Duncan Hardy in the front row. Within two minutes Riverview took the early lead with a penalty goal. For the first 15 minutes, the match was played inside the St Joseph's half until a fine run by Thomas Healey took play to the Riverview 22. The ball was then swung wide to the opposite side of the field where Carraro and Thompson made good ground before play going into touch 5 metres from the line. From the lineout St Joseph's won possession and decided to drive for the line with Fergus Domey grounding for a try and Matthew Carraro converting. Thes core now 7-3. Play then moved quickly from end to end with Riverview almost scoring and then St Joseph's. While inside their own half Riverview elected to kick, but failing to find touch Jordan Thompson was able to counter and bring play back to halfway. From the breakdown, the ball was shifted quickly through Adam D'Arcy to Tom Azar who broke through a number of defenders and scored between the posts. This was an outstanding run from Azar and fitting of what was the 3000th try scored by St Joseph's in GPS competition. Carraro converted to push the score to 14-3. Shortly before the break Riverview narrowed the score to 14- 6 with a penalty goal.

The start of the second half saw St Joseph's dominate field position and possession but unable to crack the excellent Riverview defence. Riverview were the next to score through a further penalty goal to make the score 14-9. St Joseph's continued to attack and again, although dominating field position, were unable to score until eventually a penalty goal by Matthew Carraro relieved the tension and took the score to 17-9. Riverview struck back almost immediately scoring in the corner. A successful conversion from the touch line took the score to 17-16. Carraro moved the score to 20-16 with a further penalty goal.

In the final minutes of the match Riverview were on the attack but desperate St Joseph's defence prevented a further score. The match was a wonderful spectacle played in outstanding spirit by both sides.

St Joseph's 20 defeated St Ignatius 16.
2002?

wyvernboy

Banned
Stephenmoorebeers

I like John Farnham and "Your the voice " is a great Aussie song. Good song for the bagpipes and very fitting for the Scots culture as Scots enjoy listening to their own voices.
At New, we enjoy the other iconic Aussie song with bagpipes. Give you a hint cause it may not get played much in the East. Back in Black ? ACDC ?
You get the picture. Bit more grunt.
Keep playing those pipes Stephenmoorebeers.

Wyvernboy

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Stephenmoorebeers

I like John Farnham and "Your the voice " is a great Aussie song. Good song for the bagpipes and very fitting for the Scots culture as Scots enjoy listening to their own voices.
At New, we enjoy the other iconic Aussie song with bagpipes. Give you a hint cause it may not get played much in the East. Back in Black ? ACDC ?
You get the picture. Bit more grunt.
Keep playing those pipes Stephenmoorebeers.

Wyvernboy
"Long way to the top" is the first track of the ACDC's second album T.N.T (NOT Back in Black)., released only in Australia and New Zealand on 8 December 1975. I still have my vinyl copy.

Bagpipes were done by Scott himself. He had in fact never played the instrument before, having been a drummer in a pipe band. Nonetheless, Scott taught himself to play well enough to record and perform the song (initially with the help of tape loops) Scots connection? None, but there was a story that went round the school that Ray Lee (RIP dear friend) took some pipers to the studio.

bon.jpg

InSpace

Frank Row (1)
TIP PLEASE....sorry there is little time

Tips Week 7.jpg

Don't forget a points spread as well.
Those who fail to get their tips in will be given the second team in each match with a point spread of +12

Preview of Rep Matches

GPS 1st vs CAS 1st
Will be a close game. Will come down to whether defensively the GPS 12 can handle the big hard running 12 of CAS, and a moment of class from either Jorgensen or Saunders.
GPS by less than a try.

GPS 2s vs CAS 2s
GPS 2s should over come CAS 2s by more than 2 tries. Stiel will have a day out. I think he pipped Barrett on the weekend and was unlucky not to be in 1s, either at Tighthead or moving Barrett to 6 where he has played well previously.

GPS White XV vs Country
Country went done to CHS 2s a couple of weeks ago and will struggle against the GPS outfit. GPS White by +20.

GPS Blue XV vs Sydney
Sydney only just got across the line against CHS 1s a couple of weeks ago. The team that will play tomorrow is very different with 11 or so of the boys having some Shute Shield 1st Colts experience, with a lot of them starting in 1st as well. Traditionally this team has 1 or 2 1st Colts in it, with a further couple in 2nds. With 8 or so of this team with previous Gen Blue experience, it will be a very strong team. Joe Hutton from Shore 1st who might have been a bit unlucky to miss GPS selection will play 9 for Sydney. GPS Blue will have a tough day. Sydney by +20.

wyvernboy

Banned
Thanks for that Joker.

I knew it was not from the Back in Black album as Bon had passed away before the album had come out. First album released after he passed. Just giving Stephenmoorebeers a clue or two. Long way to the Top is this years 1st XV motto. Playing Scots at BH and Joeys at HH first two rounds will be a prmiership well earned if it's achieved. One down .....

Also, recommend the Gary Owen hotel near Leichardt Oval for your catch up drinks. Not bad and close enough to stumble there. Crawl if it's a 5pm game. Maybe that's the reason why View have moved it. Think about it.

Wyvernboy

Status
Not open for further replies.