• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Think it’s around last play cas going for the 3 12-19
Out of interest...how valuable do people think these games are as selection trials?

Do the selectors see these players so frequently at school and SJRU rep that they are no longer that relevant? If they are genuine selection trials (as opposed to matches that need to be won), then some aspects of the game are very odd. eg. Why take a conversion, when you could simply pass on the kick and get more game time. eg. Does kicking for touch and rolling a maul in for a try really tell a selector anything? Taking the 3 points at the end of the game, when you have outside backs who have only touched the ball a few times in the match??

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
Overall as it may be a selection trial. It is also the ‘school champs’ so no team wants to lose, maybe other then pres b coaches today with their game plan against cas
Out of interest...how valuable do people think these games are as selection trials?

Do the selectors see these players so frequently at school and SJRU rep that they are no longer that relevant? If they are genuine selection trials (as opposed to matches that need to be won), then some aspects of the game are very odd. eg. Why take a conversion, when you could simply pass on the kick and get more game time. eg. Does kicking for touch and rolling a maul in for a try really tell a selector anything? Taking the 3 points at the end of the game, when you have outside backs who have only touched the ball a few times in the match??

Tame Brumby

Stan Wickham (3)
Done already

GPS 1st XV beat CAS 1st XV 45-14 and GPS 2nd Xv beat CAS 2nd XV 43-17 on Tuesday 21 June
OP is referring to the u16s final - tomorrow 2:30pm. CAS looked v good against GPS 2 but I fear that GPS 1 will have too much firepower in their backs, though CAS may have edge in tight 5.

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
OP is referring to the u16s final - tomorrow 2:30pm. CAS looked v good against GPS 2 but I fear that GPS 1 will have too much firepower in their backs, though CAS may have edge in tight 5.
This game will be a thriller.
Gps imo if sides were selected with 0 politics would absolutely smoke cas but this is never the case.

Therefore the GPS front row will need to step up to deal with Cas tight 5. Number 4 of gps billy will need to remove some of the silly plays in his game (slapped a player in the face) forcing his team to be down to 14.

backline wise number 15 and 22 will need to step up just like they did in the 2nd half against acids alongside filter and McLean who have played excellent so far.

cas number 5 is in many peoples opinions the best player for this age, a game plan will be needed to shut him down alongside the 15 khau and 13 king I believe.

Number3

Frank Row (1)
CAS are missing two of their best props from this competition. Would definitely be dominating if they were available.

Thought the 15 from CHS was worthy of note today

Number3

Frank Row (1)
Gps imo if sides were selected with 0 politics would absolutely smoke cas but this is never the case.

Therefore the GPS front row will need to step up to deal with Cas tight 5. Number 4 of gps billy will need to remove some of the silly plays in his game (slapped a player in the face) forcing his team to be down to 14.

backline wise number 15 and 22 will need to step up just like they did in the 2nd half against acids alongside filter and McLean who have played excellent so far.

cas number 5 is in many peoples opinions the best player for this age, a game plan will be needed to shut him down alongside the 15 khau and 13 king I believe.
15 is Hall

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)

Gps would smoke CAS! What rubbish. The special coloured glasses are on!

Waverley and Knox between them have beaten Kings, Newington, Shore and View, and I believe Joeys aren't the usual top side in the 16as as per normal. In fact View, Kings and Shore got SMOKED. Newington is a very good side. Haven't seen Scots.
So your logic, isn't!

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
Gps would smoke CAS! What rubbish. The special coloured glasses are on!

Waverley and Knox between them have beaten Kings, Newington, Shore and View, and I believe Joeys aren't the usual top side in the 16as as per normal. In fact View, Kings and Shore got SMOKED. Newington is a very good side. Haven't seen Scots.
So your logic, isn't!
Newo and Scott’s of this age group have dominated, each years kings and waverly have played it’s been diffent result kings won 15s and waverly won 14s, and in 16s waverly had beaten a kings team missing 4 of their gps rep players and starting prop. Waverly won that game closely aswell.

waverly and knox most likely put a number in view, and clearly shown by the amount of view players selected kinda clear why.

shore not to sure what the result would of been. There number 7 best player by far at his position is in 1st xv and so is their winger….. but their front rowers aren’t the best not sure how they were picked within the pres A side.

Just because two sides have beaten four out of the 6 teams dosent mean the overall quality of 16s players is greater….

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Newo and Scott’s of this age group have dominated, each years kings and waverly have played it’s been diffent result kings won 15s and waverly won 14s, and in 16s waverly had beaten a kings team missing 4 of their gps rep players and starting prop. Waverly won that game closely aswell.

waverly and knox most likely put a number in view, and clearly shown by the amount of view players selected kinda clear why.

shore not to sure what the result would of been. There number 7 best player by far at his position is in 1st xv and so is their winger….. but their front rowers aren’t the best not sure how they were picked within the pres A side.

Just because two sides have beaten four out of the 6 teams dosent mean the overall quality of 16s players is greater….
Newo and Scots may have historically dominated this group in the younger years but this is the 16s when things change.

I didn't say the overall quality of the CAS players is greater, you did!

So here's my point, and I have seen all these games, I bet you haven't seen either Knox or Waves play.

Waves beat View 50+. Waves beat Shore by 20, Waves beat Kings 17-0 in the wet, and also weren't at full strength.
New beat Waves by 1 try in the wet and it could easily have gone either way. Waves beat Knox 28-17, and Knox beat New 8-7.

Whilst Rep teams are different than school teams, these are the facts, so not sure how you get the idea of a smoking at this stage.

P.S. Believe it or not, there are some seriously good players in the CAS 16s, 1 played 15 for the CAS 1s recently, and the Knox 15 is also red hot.
The CAS, as mentioned by another poster, actually has 3 tremendous/big Front rowers out and 1 terrific backrower, who you won't see tomorrow, I suspect the GPS have injuries as well.

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
Newo and Scots may have historically dominated this group in the younger years but this is the 16s when things change.

I didn't say the overall quality of the CAS players is greater, you did!

So here's my point, and I have seen all these games, I bet you haven't seen either Knox or Waves play.

Waves beat View 50+. Waves beat Shore by 20, Waves beat Kings 17-0 in the wet, and also weren't at full strength.
New beat Waves by 1 try in the wet and it could easily have gone either way. Waves beat Knox 28-17, and Knox beat New 8-7.

Whilst Rep teams are different than school teams, these are the facts, so not sure how you get the idea of a smoking at this stage.

P.S. Believe it or not, there are some seriously good players in the CAS 16s, 1 played 15 for the CAS 1s recently, and the Knox 15 is also red hot.
The CAS, as mentioned by another poster, actually has 3 tremendous/big Front rowers out and 1 terrific backrower, who you won't see tomorrow, I suspect the GPS have injuries as well.
Think it will be a great match.

Status
Not open for further replies.