• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
This too (which I missed) is prevalent with Joeys

They are all skilled (as a group) at bringing the ball carrier down, and then jackaling that ball ASAP.

Like wild dogs bringing down that steer! (photo please J...)
sizing up the opponent

herding.jpg

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Nice to see thoughts turn to round 2.
As always, fearless tipping is appreciated.

For those who are in the official tipping competition, I need winner and points spread.
If you win and are within the 5 point margin you receive 5 points.
Draws are worth 1.

You have until midnight on 22 July to get your tips in.

No tips? Then you are given the away team with a point spread of 12.

Here is next round. (team on the left is the home team)

View attachment 14093
New
Kings
Scots

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

Hello Joker

The Joeys/New Game could prove to be, not just the match of this round, but the potential premiership decider. Yes Kings and View, are dangerous schools. But now New is coming into form, I feel Joeys and New are likely to be premiership contenders. Question, did Joeys hit their peak form too early, whereas Newington are just now showing their form.

Either way, both these schools have excellent, backlines

With that in mind,My prediction, lots of tries to be scored, by both teams.

PackDownTheScrum

Frank Row (1)
So the NRL contracted kids have been dropped cold by the Gen Blue system and the leader. I know for a fact that Finnlay Bartlett is still in the SRU (Scottish Rugby Union) Exiles/Scottish qualified system. This suggests to me he hasn't 100% turned his back on Union completely even though he has a contract with the Sea Eagles. What this suggests to me instead of the NSWJRU having a conversation with the kid they have stuck their heads in the sand and gone completely cold and defensive. Maybe this is why the junior Wallabies were absolutely belted the other day 69-12. We can blame Cov etc but the reality is NZ had Cov as well. This suggests to me that the system is completely broken. When was the last time we won the Bledsoe Cup (1984) some 38 years ago and probably given the current pathways systems another 38 years. Here's a suggestion to the Pathways management go and have a conversation with these kids and bring in the families see where they are at, see what options you can provide them and then go from there, pretty simple stuff. Who know one day Finnlay might be running out at Murrayfield pulling on the Blue Scottish jersey.
Hi The Front Rower,

I completely agree mate, they really need to work hard to keep players in union, on the topic of the young guns coming through The Scots College what are your thoughts on the other young guns, Leo Jaques, Toby Brial and Zach fittler I havent been able to see them play.

Ootyfay

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Question, did Joeys hit their peak form too early, whereas Newington are just now showing their form.

Not at all. Joeys 1st XV has been a work in progress as usual and has been ravaged by injury and illness.
The recent rep rugby games highlighted though a number of key players have hit form and some have improved enormously. The Joeys back-line will be deadly. When you have the Gen Blue 15, 13, 11 (Gen Blue 2) 10 and 9 (Gen Blue 2) they are hitting form. The forwards have become stronger with the front row being key with the 1 and 3 getting nods from selectors. The big improver has been D. Fogarty who has gone from unheralded, hardworking forward to Australia A.

Overall, the team seems to be hitting its stride. Usually after a week at Kingscliff on rugby camp (more to come of course on this) Joeys gets on a roll. Being 100% healthy is important. The biggest weapon they now have is that slight air of invincibility that many teams in the past enjoyed. When opposition teams go into a game against Joeys asking "are they that good? Have they peaked? Who should we be worried about?" then you are playing on hope. Hope that Joeys doesn't play their best. When my team beat Joeys our focus was on OUR game and what do well rather than the opposition. Do "your thing" and forget the opposition and the game will take care of itself.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
You have until midnight on 22 July to get your tips in.

No tips? Then you are given the away team with a point spread of 12.

Here is next round. (team on the left is the home team)

DON'T FORGET THE POINTS SPREAD

TIPS- Week 8.jpg

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Not at all. Joeys 1st XV has been a work in progress as usual and has been ravaged by injury and illness.
The recent rep rugby games highlighted though a number of key players have hit form and some have improved enormously. The Joeys back-line will be deadly. When you have the Gen Blue 15, 13, 11 (Gen Blue 2) 10 and 9 (Gen Blue 2) they are hitting form. The forwards have become stronger with the front row being key with the 1 and 3 getting nods from selectors. The big improver has been D. Fogarty who has gone from unheralded, hardworking forward to Australia A.

Overall, the team seems to be hitting its stride. Usually after a week at Kingscliff on rugby camp (more to come of course on this) Joeys gets on a roll. Being 100% healthy is important. The biggest weapon they now have is that slight air of invincibility that many teams in the past enjoyed. When opposition teams go into a game against Joeys asking "are they that good? Have they peaked? Who should we be worried about?" then you are playing on hope. Hope that Joeys doesn't play their best. When my team beat Joeys our focus was on OUR game and what do well rather than the opposition. Do "your thing" and forget the opposition and the game will take care of itself.
@Joker Fowler at 10 played Gen Blue 1's. I think Joeys lads made up 5 of the starting Gen Blue 1 team (1,3,10,13,15). Agree, Fogarty has been improving with every outing, he has come a long way from a full back to a back rower / second rower over the last few years.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV Round 4 – 23 July

Joeys v Grammar
Match of the round for mine, as the undefeated Joeys team takes on the Grammar 1st XV with one loss. This is a crucial match for Grammar who must win this game to have any chance of retaining the Col Windon Shield. Joeys had a tense 5-3 victory over Shore at Northbridge in Round 3, and this match is likely to be just as close. But with Joeys at home at Hunters Hill I think they can continue their undefeated run. Joeys by 5.

Kings v Shore

Kings and Shore have both had a single loss in the competition, and this promises to be a cracking game on JS White Oval as they strive to remain in contention for the premiership. Both teams are coming off two-point losses last round - Shore from their 5-3 loss to Joeys while Kings were beaten by Riverview 7-5 with only a conversion separating the two teams. As a result, this game is almost impossible to pick. I was impressed by Shore at Northbridge last round, and I think they can upset the talented Kings outfit at North Parramatta. Shore by 2.

Riverview v High

Riverview are on a roll now after their close win over Kings last round and should continue their win streak as they face a struggling High 1st XV at Lane Cove. High are a committed team with some quality players, but they are outclassed in this competition and it’s hard to see them challenging this capable Riverview side. Riverview by 40.

TAS v Scots

Scots travel to Armidale for their clash with TAS and it should be a great game as it coincides with TAS Reunion Weekend 2022. So, expect huge crowds and a great atmosphere. Unfortunately, it appears that both teams are out of the running for the premiership – TAS with three losses and Scots with two losses already. Still, it will be a great event and I am sure that both teams will rise to the occasion. I am picking TAS at home to prevail by a try on the final bell. TAS by 5.

crazy schoolboy

Peter Burge (5)
Newington will have a good crack this weekend and may get up over joeys, Scots to bounce back and put a reasonable number on Riverview even with a injury or 2, and finally Kings to put a decent score against shore causing the competition to become a tight race for Prem....

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
The AAGPS School Holidays rugby camp guide

WARNING- The is called humor.

Edition 4.

St Joseph’s College

Joeyshuntershill.jpg

Arising to greet the first rays of the dawn sun, the Joeys boys hurry themselves with rolling up their swag, boiling the Billy, making the tea and gulping down some salted lamb and dry bread sourced from the bush kitchen run by the team from Alliance catering. Morning prayers are then held on the circular lawn as a priest from Lavalle, France washes their feet, socks and boots in the holy water taken from the sacred spring of Fatima. (Our Lady may not play for Joeys but she sure can run water bottles). Joeys boys then complete a three hour session of “Joega” on the front lawns in silence as penance for scarping off three nights ago down to the HHH for a quiet little drink and stealing chocolates from the servo. To complete the warm up there is the traditional 6km jog to the Woolwich wharf and back, only stopping to speak to the girls at Marist Sisters rowing club. On return there is the strength and conditioning to complete with compulsory buckets on the ready just in case breakfast returns during this session. Old fashioned exercises such as Cow wrestling, chicken rustling, tractor dragging, sheep tackling and hay bale stacking only help the boys build their appetite for lunch. The alliance kitchens do not disappoint as they send forth the traditional stale bread, cold fried pork rissoles, stodgy mash and frozen peas as a way to harden the boys up. If they can tackle this, then bringing down the monsters from Scots is a breeze. To the old boys of the College this meal is called “Tuesday.” The afternoon session is usually dominated with set piece skills such as scrummaging, line-outs and wingman techniques for the backs when they next visit The Oaks at Double Bay. A fire hose is soon sourced for the evening wash down. Dinner is the highlight of the day and the kitchen goes all out with "schnitzel night". There is often doubt if there is actual chicken in the recipe as there is a distinct lack of stray cats, dogs, goats, horses and guinea pigs in Hunters Hill. Anyway, it is covered in breadcrumbs, fried and drowned in hot gravy..... heaven. The night is then spent in quiet contemplation laying in their swag under the stars while being serenaded by the awful sounds coming from their bowels.

Joeys number 10 shows how it done cow wrestling.

1200px-Rodeo-Steer_wrestling.jpg

Hello Joker

The Joeys/New Game could prove to be, not just the match of this round, but the potential premiership decider. Yes Kings and View, are dangerous schools. But now New is coming into form, I feel Joeys and New are likely to be premiership contenders. Question, did Joeys hit their peak form too early, whereas Newington are just now showing their form.

Either way, both these schools have excellent, backlines

With that in mind,My prediction, lots of tries to be scored, by both teams.
I feel like some of the New supporters seem to be getting a little bit too excited about the close win against Scots. I seriously don't get the hype like this around them, as they've only really won one major game and haven't come close against other serious competitors. Can someone please explain to me why people think they are on the same calibre as schools such as joeys and better than the likes of kings and view.

Last edited:
O

Old High Boy

I feel like some of the New supporters seem to be getting a little bit too excited about the close win against Scots. I seriously don't get the hype like this around them, as they've only really won one major game and haven't come close against other serious competitors. Can someone please explain to me why people think they are on the same calibre as schools such as joeys and better than the likes of kings and view.

Newington have a serious chance of winning this Saturday - the bad weather is a great leveller. I would be keen to see the team listings prior to the game so I can make a more informed judgement...

I'd also like to read WayvernBoys assessment of the Newington team too..

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi wingers are slow

I understand your point of view. New did not have great trial form going into the first Rd v Scots. Fairly close losses v Wav, Knox and Kings ( all were the better team ) was not good but you learn from your losses and even though Scots were favs at home, had a bigger pack and a very talented young backline, New did show improvements in their set piece, backline worked very well with 10 D.Wright back from injury and played smart rugby esp at the end. This would give them a heap of confidence.
I don't think anyone, esp New team, are overhyped about playing Joeys. New will have to be almost perfect against Joeys to win. In the wet, it might level things out a bit. We supporters have belief in this team. They have shown over the years that they are talented and have had good success in their age group, which gives us hope ( ie Shore) however opens is dif and they will need to fire up on Sat.

As mentioned previously, I was made to eat my words as the New coaches selectio of D.Wright at 10 and J.McGregor at 15 was a masterstroke. Both controlled the game v Scots very well. 10's passing was spot on and unselfish allowing the outside backs to do their thing. 15's kicking game was a highlight and his rugby smarts was on show when he took the right options most of the time and linked with 11 and 14. 12 Barton was stong in defence and will have to work well with 13 McLean to keep Joey Leahy and Jorgo quiet.
I think overall, the backlines are failry even.
9 Dickens, 10 Wright, 11 Quinn, 12 Barton, 13 McLean 14 Takaumo, 15 McGregor ( predicted, will confirm )
what is the predicted Joeys bline ?
Forwards should be the same
IMO, these big games come down to the forwards and I think Joeys do have a slight edge. They are always well drilled and fit and their set piece will be almost perfect. But New have some size and have improved their fitness. Their set peice was better against a big Scots pack. If it's raining, it slow both teams down a little which may suit New ? Few errors in the backs etc and it's anyone's game ?

This New team was always going to do it the hard way in playing Scots 1st round away and Joeys 2nd round away after the break.
1 down. Saturday 23rd July SJC No1 3.15pm to go !!

Wyvernboy

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Newington have a serious chance of winning this Saturday - the bad weather is a great leveller. I would be keen to see the team listings prior to the game so I can make a more informed judgement...

I'd also like to read WayvernBoys assessment of the Newington team too..
Hello High Old Boy

I feel that your comments, cannot be ruled out. Particularly, as so many on this site were happy to write New off this season. But New, I believe are on their way to big and better things.Almost nobody was predicting their win against Scots. In fact, Scots supporters were . predicting a win to them by 15 points. Yet we proved them wrong, so very wrong. Having watch them against Scots, this team possess potential, that has yet to be unleashed. I am not expecting them, hit their full potential against Joeys, but rather expect them to continue their improvement, even if they lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.