• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Hope everyone is having a lovely evening,

Joeys vs Scots should be a cracker.
Newington have lots of injuries this week which makes me lead towards kings...
I think shore will be hungry, with nothing to lose as they are out of contention. I think they could cause an upset.
Thoughts?
Doesn’t sound good for the boys from Stanmore. Any intel on how many boys are out with injuries?

TheSwindleKicker

Frank Nicholson (4)
To beat Joeys, you need to do this and a little bit of that with a sprinkle of this... - Bollocks

People seem to forget that footy is 70% mental and 30% skill

To beat Joeys you need to 'out-passion' them. They play with the most passion and heart. The way they claw themselves back into games and play like they're down 7 points every minute of the game (with the ability to play like that) against any opponent is why they look like the best team in the comp.

The only team I see that may out-passion them is View in 2 rounds time in front of 10,000+ at Leichhardt.
Very true, the Joeys v Riverview match is always close no matter what the line ups look like and who's playing in what team. The strong rivalry always provides for the best quality of rugby from every player as they hold their schools pride high and the war crys from the fellow school boys fuel them throughout the game. On the day, the the winner is very much the school that had the brought the most 'passion' i think.

This Leichhardt game with be a spectacle with what i think will be the one of, if not the biggest Joeys vs Riverview match we have ever seen. Can only hope it will be a close with hopefully both teams potentially playing for a premiership.

TSK

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Wh
Hope everyone is having a lovely evening,

Joeys vs Scots should be a cracker.
Newington have lots of injuries this week which makes me lead towards kings...
I think shore will be hungry, with nothing to lose as they are out of contention. I think they could cause an upset.
Thoughts?
Who’s injured?

O

Old High Boy

To beat Joeys, you need to do this and a little bit of that with a sprinkle of this... - Bollocks

People seem to forget that footy is 70% mental and 30% skill

To beat Joeys you need to 'out-passion' them. They play with the most passion and heart. The way they claw themselves back into games and play like they're down 7 points every minute of the game (with the ability to play like that) against any opponent is why they look like the best team in the comp.

The only team I see that may out-passion them is View in 2 rounds time in front of 10,000+ at Leichhardt.

To say that only Joeys and View play with the most passion is... - Bollocks
I am sure supporters of the other GPS schools will disagree with you too

And how did you get the 70-30 breakdown?! Pleeaaase...

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think J Reilly (also 1988) from Newington (winner of elusive Triple Colour Badge) ran 4x 100, GPS Shot Put Champion and 1st XV for 3 years as prop. Ended up playing for Qld Reds, Cambridge in the Varsity match and is now rugby master at Canberra Grammar. Ironically he was best known at school for his swimming prowess. I think most of the 1st XV players from the schools run GPS Aths but very few excel across 3 sports.
I reckon Sam Miranda ran the 100m division and competed in shot put in 88. He was a 1st XV front rower, I can’t imagine many have ever ticked those 3 boxes. Is my memory faulty

I am sure supporters of the other GPS schools will disagree with you too

Seriously OHB, if you cannot recognise the rivalry that is the view vs joeys game than you cannot call yourself at GPS rugby fan. No where did he say that view and joeys play with the most passion. All he said that Joeys this year have got a warrior spirit like no other team and that the only team that could potentially meet that passion is view at the big game at Leichhardt.
Get that negativity away from this forum and make yourself a 3rds competition forum for SBH and unnecessarily attack people there.

TheBatman

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am sure supporters of the other GPS schools will disagree too

I'm not saying that only View and Joeys play with passion, I know and have witnessed extreme passion from Kings and Scots boys. I'm saying that Riverview vs Joeys is the height, the pinnacle, of passion in the GPS, nothing compares to it - century old foes with blood thirsty hatred go at it, Marists vs Catholics, Opposite sides of the River, Cerese vs Royal Blue, the greatest sports rivalry in Australia, second to no other.

For those mutuals, I highly recommend watching the Liechhardt game.

I have tingles just thinking about.

O

Old High Boy

Also do we forget Pete Playford Joeys 98.......the year before was under 90kgs....did his ACL.... Operation, ate allllllll his veggies and came back over 105kgs on the wing......

He could definitely play the game, that one...

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
This Sunday in Bathurst is Sydney v NSW Country

All boys chosen from Clubs

Live on Cluch - NSW Rugby TV

Under 14 Boys 8.15am
Under 15 Boys 10.35am
Under 16 Boys 12.55pm
Under 18 Boys 3.25pm

1658920792303.png

PhilJackson

Bob McCowan (2)
I saw that someone has mentioned some niggles in the Scot’s Camp. What injuries have occurred and are they going to be ok for this Saturday’s hit out? Hope they can play!

Last edited:

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Here's some interesting info for you Joker.
My team played against this Joeys age group in the age groups for 4 years, but we didn't play each other in the Opens.
This Joeys age group was the best in the GPS As comp every year, unbeaten for several years. Scots were 2nd.
We couldn't believe they came last in our 1979 Opens year, rumor had it there was division within the team, not a lack of talent.
I also had a few good mates who went to school with us at Waverley Junior school until year 7, then went to Joeys, they had dad's who were Joeys Old Boys, so quite understandable.
Hello WLF3
Can't help to barge in about 1979. Newington premiers in 1979. Joeys had a tough pack physical pack that year. Kings big pack, but according to a friend, who saw them play Sydney High I think at the cricket ground, he described them as "Logs". That year High had a fast backline.
Oh, yes New beat Scots 30-0 at Stanmore in what proved to be a grand final between the two schools. Scots had a strong side, but New just clicked on the day. Shore should also be mentioned, massive pack with I think two Australian School boys.

Some of these boys played in the Australian U/21 side, that NZ 46-12 in 1982. One of the best games of Rugby I ever saw. Also Campo made his second appearance as a rep player.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Let's not forget Tony Daly......joker please fill in the blanks
Daly is a funny one.
I will talk about 1983 and 1984.

In his younger years it was not well known that he was a keen sprinter and he retained some his speed even all the way up to Wallaby status.
While he was quick he never made an athletics team proper, only reserve once.
In 1983 he was breakaway in the 1st XV, was a reserve for Senior athletics team.
In 1984 he was breakaway in the 1st XV again (Malloy and 'Budda' Ryan) in front of him) No athletics

O

Old High Boy

Daly is a funny one.
I will talk about 1983 and 1984.

In his younger years it was not well known that he was a keen sprinter and he retained some his speed even all the way up to Wallaby status.
While he was quick he never made an athletics team proper, only reserve once.
In 1983 he was breakaway in the 1st XV, was a reserve for Senior athletics team.
In 1984 he was breakaway in the 1st XV again (Malloy and 'Budda' Ryan) in front of him) No athletics

Over the years I have come across TD while he has been coaching various rugby teams, one of rugby's good guys..

Status
Not open for further replies.