• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Hello WLF3
Can't help to barge in about 1979. Newington premiers in 1979. Joeys had a tough pack physical pack that year. Kings big pack, but according to a friend, who saw them play Sydney High I think at the cricket ground, he described them as "Logs". That year High had a fast backline.
Oh, yes New beat Scots 30-0 at Stanmore in what proved to be a grand final between the two schools. Scots had a strong side, but New just clicked on the day. Shore should also be mentioned, massive pack with I think two Australian School boys.

Some of these boys played in the Australian U/21 side, that NZ 46-12 in 1982. One of the best games of Rugby I ever saw. Also Campo made his second appearance as a rep player.
Yep agree B&W,

Newington had a terrific side that year and won the GPS.
I saw New play a terrific Aloys side at Stanmore in a mid week game, a draw 20 odd each.
Whilst impartial here, the Aloys side was very hardly done by, scored a try down the sideline towards the end, but the linesman said he went out, not the case, saw it, and he was a least a metre inside the sideline. Ancient history now, but it is funny how you remember some things.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)

TIPS ROUND THREE
TIPS- Week 9.jpg

NEW ADDITION- If you predict the winner with the exact points spread you will get 10 points.

example....Joeys v Scots.

Final result. Joeys 17 Scots 10

1. OlderSlower chose Joeys by 5
This is awarded 3 points because it is below the point spread.

2. ItsnotPink chose Joeys by 8
This awarded 5 points because it is above and within the 5 point margin (eg. +8, +9, +10, +11 & +12)

3. Lindommer chose Joeys by 7
This is awarded 10 points because it was the exact points difference.

4. Subbie chose Scots by 7
This is awarded 0 points

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)

TIPS ROUND THREE
TIPS- Week 9.jpg

NEW ADDITION- If you predict the winner with the exact points spread you will get 10 points.

example....Joeys v Scots.

Final result. Joeys 17 Scots 10

1. OlderSlower chose Joeys by 5
This is awarded 3 points because it is below the point spread.

2. ItsnotPink chose Joeys by 8
This awarded 5 points because it is above and within the 5 point margin (eg. +8, +9, +10, +11 & +12)

3. Lindommer chose Joeys by 7
This is awarded 10 points because it was the exact points difference.

4. Subbie chose Scots by 7
This is awarded 0 points

My tips;

Shore +5
Joeys + 15
Kings + 10

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV Round 5 – 30 July

After four rounds, Joeys are undefeated, ahead of Riverview and Kings on one loss each. As Joeys still have to play both Riverview and Kings in Round 6 & 7 respectively, the 3rd XV premiership remains wide open.
Grammar and Shore sit further back with two losses each, so they need to win their remaining three matches, and rely on a few upsets of the leading teams to grab a share of the premiership. A remote possibility but still technically possible. I note that they play each other in Round 6.
For TAS, Scots and High, the premiership is out of reach, but they can still cause trouble for the leading sides in the remaining rounds.

Grammar v Riverview
This is definitely match of the round for mine – both teams absolutely need the win. Riverview cannot afford a second loss before they face Joeys in Round 6 and Grammar need to win to keep alive the very slim chance of sharing the premiership. Riverview showed in the second half against High last round that they can spin the ball wide and score tries. They will need to bring that form to overcome a strong Grammar side at Rushcutters Bay. If Grammar can limit Riverview possession with their big forward pack and set piece play, then they are a good chance to make this a real contest. This should be a fantastic match, but on the back of their running game I think Riverview will prevail.
Riverview by 5.

Scots v Joeys
The undefeated Joeys team travels to Bellevue Hill where any away game is a challenge amongst the bagpipes and enthusiastic Scots supporters crowding the balconies and the road! Scots have already suffered three losses in this competition, but it would be a mistake for Joeys to underestimate them at home, especially since Scots only lost to Riverview by a single point on the bell in the opening round. I think that Joeys can retain their unbeaten streak here, but they will need to be at their best against a Scots team looking to regain some standing in the competition by knocking off the front runner.
Joeys by 10.

Shore v TAS
TAS scored a good 23-12 victory over Scots in Armidale last weekend and they will be looking to continue that form when they travel to Northbridge to meet Shore who suffered a big loss to Kings last round. It could be said that Shore’s loss to Kings was closer than the score indicated with two late intercept tries, but Kings were definitely the stronger team on the day. So, Shore will need a return to form on Saturday to convert more of their opportunities. I think this will be another close game, but I am tipping the visitors from Armidale to continue their winning streak at Northbridge.
TAS by 5.

High v Kings
High really put up a good fight in the first half against Riverview at The Swamp last week. It was still 0-0 after 16 minutes and only 7-0 to Riverview at half time. High were right in the game and unlucky to have a disallowed try in the first half. It was only in the second half that gaps appeared in the High defence. This contest will be very similar, as Kings have the potential to score plenty of tries if you give them any opportunity. They have pace out wide and will be keen to use it. High will need to tighten their defence to have any chance. I expect that Kings will continue on their way to a final round clash with Joeys and should be too strong for High despite their improvement and commitment.
Kings by 28

Good luck to all teams.
Cheers
INP

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
ROUND THREE PREVIEW

Shore V Riverview at Stirling bridge
To come so close and then to fall at the final hurdle…the mental anguish experienced by the Shore boys will be tough to handle. The boys were so brave considering the acts of thuggery going on in the middle of Castle Gray Skull. Plenty of debate has been raged within this forum on this very subject. It has taken plenty of mum’s housekeeper good cooking, the heated seats in daddy’s Bentley and the soothing sirens of Wenona girls to repair their fractured souls. Plus, plenty of the best pies in the AAGPS helps enormously. The wolf pack as well experienced a disappointing finish last weekend in the swamp. Maybe it was the choice of the Scots fashion brigade to swap jersey at halftime that helped. Riverview should still be proud of this effort. The amount of noise and fun their supporters bring to the game is their secret weapon (along with liberal splashes of Creed Aventus for chatting with girls after the game). View will be looking for redemption, without the use of whips this time. Losing in the swamp is never a good look for these mud larks and this week I am sure they have trained well chatting up the Mercy girls at Chatswood Chase. I would think that on a dry track, a brisk southerly and fueled with the love of daddy’s driver’s daughter the Shore lads will record a famous win. A very tough one to call.

Shoremen by 3 Coppia Ferrarese loaves (see below)

49fa5d7d2c034abaaf3b237a588ca8fa.jpg

Scots College vs Joeys at Castello del Valentino

The match will really decide the title I feel. With Joeys sitting atop the AAGPS tree on two wins and Scots going one and one, the game will be incredibly tight to call. The Scots boys are always tough at home and I am not just talking about the parking. Just like the Blackwatch Café (I hope the coffee is still good), Scots contain many variations within the team. Many feel the loss of their talisman will hurt as the team. Not so. Scots have decided to plug the hole at 12 by pilfering from the forward pack a very talented footballer who can play this position. He will be marking a very large, angry looking lad who wants to use the Scots 12 as a door mat. In the pigs, Joeys will have an edge. This week the staff have been waking the boys up at 2am to have a cold dip in the new pool, just to make them angry. The big “dogs” in the front row accounted for the Tongan tanks last week. They hit harder than a Marist Brother in the 1970’s. In the early trial match, the Scots team dominated the lineouts but now Joeys have found their flyer and person who can hit them with consistency. Set pieces will be important. The big weapon for Joeys will be the backline. The team that Scots played in the trial are at least 20 paddocks away from where they were. Joeys will I feel need to silence the bagpipes (screeching cats) early and take the game to Scots. It shall be a wonderful occasion as I for once will be there. Looking forward to meeting up with the many.

Joeys by 6 lamb shanks

Pinicpal's new office and residence

Castello_del_Valentino_(8062075958).jpg

Newington vs The Kings school at the Petersham Brick pit.

While losing the game against Joeys, the Newington lads hooked in and got over the platters at the end of game function last week. If eating was a AAGPS sport, crown Newington now. Considered to be a contender at the start of the season, the team were out played by the cattle dogs in most departments. Kicking the ball away to the Joeys lads was an error in judgment. Kings will enjoy the open space if this is repeated. It was noticeable at the end of the game though some of the Tongan tanks were running out of gas and the sprightly lambs took advantage of this. Newington did have some chances but the pace of the Joeys team exposed some lateral movement issues. Kings though enjoyed success at Castle Gray Skull with the new scoreboard finally in place. Now Daddy’s driver can see this from the front seat of the Rolls and text the score update to Milan. The Kings lads play a tough, uncompromising game and they don’t go in for that watercress and mint water from France at half time. Give us the domestic stuff instead. The Kings boys though showed their strength in scrums and lineouts, they will need to be on their game. Newington will punish them with points and steal their hood ornaments after the game if any opening is exposed. Home town ground will be an advantage as no one knows the brick pit better. Plus the wild Wookie’s supporters will there in droves.

Newington by three Tongan sandwiches.

qEdbim1.jpeg

Lucky 13a's, that is probably the first time a 13's team will have been granted the privilege of playing on the hallowed ground, possibly the 14a's as well.

What are the Christison Park fields like? I imagine it is a bit of a downgrade for the 15a's from a Joeys perspective.
no we played on Joeys #1 back in the mid 90s as a CAS school against Joeys in the 13A's. First year of high school and 2nd game ever for our school

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
TABLE CLARIFICATION

Eyes and ears has sent me this message.

"Your tables are going to be thrown into chaos this week as I believe Riverview 16As are playing Grammar 16As."

as the saying goes, we can only play what's in front of us!

If Shore choose not to put their 16As up against Riverview, then by definition they forfeit and View gets the 2 points - simple.
No chaos, but a huge disappointment for Shore rugby, I would have thought.

It would be strange since Joeys only beat Shore 40-31 and Kings lost 15-17 to Riverview in R1, then Kings only beat Shore 17-5 in R2.
So it's not like Shore are getting flogged and would not be up for the View game - they're competitive.

Please note that for the purposes of this competition, only the top two divisions of each age group from Opens to U13 of the "official" 6 schools are considered. If a school chooses not to put their As or Bs up against the corresponding teams from the other school, for whatever reason, then that team will be considered to have "forfeited", and the opposing team will be awarded a "bye" and 2 competition points.

There is no shame or blame attached to this action, and teams that choose to play down often do so for good reason to do with player welfare when there is a perceived mismatch or safety issue.

Incidentally, there may be confusion as to which team forfeited if, say, View 16Bs play Grammar 16As and Shore 16Bs play some other mob.
Who pulled out - did they both forfeit? If it can't be established who pulled out first then it will be deemed that the away team is the forfeit.

We depend on the honesty and goodwill of our forum score reporters to help us sort this s#@t out if it happens!

TheSwindleKicker

Frank Nicholson (4)
News in from ‘the swamp’. Blindside flanker number 6 Tim Sekel is ruled out for the rest of the season after sustaining an ankle injury during the Scots v View game.

Last edited:

Doublecut

Frank Nicholson (4)
TABLE CLARIFICATION

Eyes and ears has sent me this message.

"Your tables are going to be thrown into chaos this week as I believe Riverview 16As are playing Grammar 16As."

as the saying goes, we can only play what's in front of us!

If Shore choose not to put their 16As up against Riverview, then by definition they forfeit and View gets the 2 points - simple.
No chaos, but a huge disappointment for Shore rugby, I would have thought.

It would be strange since Joeys only beat Shore 40-31 and Kings lost 15-17 to Riverview in R1, then Kings only beat Shore 17-5 in R2.
So it's not like Shore are getting flogged and would not be up for the View game - they're competitive.

Please note that for the purposes of this competition, only the top two divisions of each age group from Opens to U13 of the "official" 6 schools are considered. If a school chooses not to put their As or Bs up against the corresponding teams from the other school, for whatever reason, then that team will be considered to have "forfeited", and the opposing team will be awarded a "bye" and 2 competition points.

There is no shame or blame attached to this action, and teams that choose to play down often do so for good reason to do with player welfare when there is a perceived mismatch or safety issue.

Incidentally, there may be confusion as to which team forfeited if, say, View 16Bs play Grammar 16As and Shore 16Bs play some other mob.
Who pulled out - did they both forfeit? If it can't be established who pulled out first then it will be deemed that the away team is the forfeit.

We depend on the honesty and goodwill of our forum score reporters to help us sort this s#@t out if it happens!
I could be wrong here but looking at the schedule it would seem that the 16a’s from SIC, Grammar and Shore are all playing a half of footy against each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.