• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
No pie report from Ballymore, reason is they were Four N' Twenty brand and I have an aversion to this brand for a specific reason, even though I am sure this doesn't apply to them now. It's not just because of their fine ground-up mince swimming in a pool gravy, and thin pastry.

Seeing its Sunday, short story time; In the '80's we had 'roo shooters who attempted to keep the numbers of skippies (& pigs) on our place at a manageable level. I asked our main shooter where the 'roos ended up as the pigs went to Germany, (I was expecting pet food, as it makes fair dog food, but not great), and he said they sold theirs to Four N' Twenty. Not only that, if they had one or two that got flyblown along they way it was no worries, they took them too, at a reduced rate of course. Remember, this was the era of some of our meat companies trying to pass 'roo off as beef in export markets, (i.e.; 'who put 'roo in the stew' saga). Some 'roo meat was found in the US in "Jack in The Box" burgers, where they were nicknamed 'skippy burgers'. So when I see the brand, I am more than happy to tighten the belt until a better option becomes available, even though I know they would be strictly as advertised now.

runningrugbyrules

Chris McKivat (8)
My Aus U18 Predicted Line Up:

1. Edwin Langi (NSW)
2. Lipina Ata (NSW)
3. John Havili (QLD)
4. Edward Kelly (WA)
5. Aden Ekanayake (NSW)
6. Jono Ryan (NSW)
7. Tim Ronham (QLD)
8. Liam Sullivan (NSW)
9. Billy Rogers (Tasmania)
10. Joe Dillon (NSW)
11. Hadley Tonga (NSW)
12. Boston Fakafanua (NSW)
13. Liam Grover (NSW)
14. Charlie Poynton (NSW)
15. Tyrone Mitchell (QLD)

Note some of these are pending injuries. Also depends on this weekend's games between NSW and QLD.
I’d say Joey Fowler (Syd Uni) at 10

runningrugbyrules

Chris McKivat (8)
Sadly this just isn’t true, last year boys who played for cis went onto play Waratahs 18s later in the year. names like tyrese Lokeni among the group who did that.
Remember that they picked Joseph Sua’ali’i in Australian Schoolboys, and you’d think those good experiences helped rugbys chances of getting those kids back. Treat them poorly and you’ll never see them again, if we’re to ever win again we need the future NRL‘s players like Luke Keary, Tepai Moroa, Tom Wright, Angus Crichton, Cam Murray, Ryan Papenhuyzen, Cooper Cronk, Tyson Frizzell, etc, etc. If we lose them permanently and it will be another 22+ years to win a Bledisloe let alone a World Cup. If anything 3/4 years in an NRL environment makes them a lot better anyway.

Last edited:

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
I doubt they’ll be many changes to the Waratahs teams unless there are unforeseen circumstances. No doubt the boys who didn’t make the squad will be pushing for selection against other state schools teams next week.
Squad gets reselected mid August and Reds played again mid September

Rudderless

Cyril Towers (30)
Kickoff is tomorrow.

I note Tom Farr-Jones is listed below however he played yesterday in Brisbane.

Does that count him out of these Schoolboy Champs ?

1688275637493.png

1688275701587.png

Rudderless

Cyril Towers (30)
Tom Farr-Jones is playing.
MM

FYI

U18 Representative Pathway

Some answers to many FAQ's

· A player may only be selected for ONE of the six NSW teams.

· The GEN BLUE Academy teams are run by the High-Performance department of NSW Rugby.

· Players in the GEN BLUE Academy teams will not participate at the ASRU Championships.

My Aus U18 Predicted Line Up:

1. Edwin Langi (NSW)
2. Lipina Ata (NSW)
3. John Havili (QLD)
4. Edward Kelly (WA)
5. Aden Ekanayake (NSW)
6. Jono Ryan (NSW)
7. Tim Ronham (QLD)
8. Liam Sullivan (NSW)
9. Billy Rogers (Tasmania)
10. Joe Dillon (NSW)
11. Hadley Tonga (NSW)
12. Boston Fakafanua (NSW)
13. Liam Grover (NSW)
14. Charlie Poynton (NSW)
15. Tyrone Mitchell (QLD)

Note some of these are pending injuries. Also depends on this weekend's games between NSW and QLD.
I'd say Toby Brial at 8, if not this year the year after. I haven't really see Liam Sullivan play so I may be wrong.

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
Remember that they picked Joseph Sua’ali’i in Australian Schoolboys, and you’d think those good experiences helped rugbys chances of getting those kids back. Treat them poorly and you’ll never see them again, if we’re to ever win again we need the future NRL‘s players like Luke Keary, Tepai Moroa, Tom Wright, Angus Crichton, Cam Murray, Ryan Papenhuyzen, Cooper Cronk, Tyson Frizzell, etc, etc. If we lose them permanently and it will be another 22+ years to win a Bledisloe let alone a World Cup. If anything 3/4 years in an NRL environment makes them a lot better anyway.
Sometimes its as simple as sitting down with the kids having a coffee/ or hot chocolate and just talking to them about where they are at, what they want to do in the future and what rugby union can offer. Unfortunately, the Gen Blue Management just sent out a blanket letter this year stating if you are involved in any other sport we aren't interested, end of story. I find this attitude crazy and is like sticking head in the sand. The net results is our Under 20 is getting smashed at the WC and the wallabies haven't won a WC for decades and forget about the Bledisloe. If we want to challenge the best in the world at union work with these kids you may be surprised how many you could keep in union, help them understand the pathways, opportunities that exist in Union, the vast majority will have no understanding of what union can offer, at the end of the day they are 18/19 year old boys! even if we can keep 25% of the kids if might be a Cooper Cronk, Angus Crichton. Unfortunately, until this behaviour's changes with the likes of Gen Blue etc nothing will change at the international level (however I do hope it does)

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It's also a very quick way to have a young player think RA or NSWRU are just a pack of pricks. This can be the first interaction some of the boys may have had with a high performance in Rugby.

Even if a player has signed with League they should not be shunned. Look at Sua'ali'i. He has played NRL but is coming back to Rugby. Keep channels open and welcoming. No school boy is signing a 10 year NRL contract, they will be back on the market before they turn 21.

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
It's also a very quick way to have a young player think Rugby Australia or NSWRU are just a pack of pricks. This can be the first interaction some of the boys may have had with a high performance in Rugby.

Even if a player has signed with League they should not be shunned. Look at Sua'ali'i. He has played NRL but is coming back to Rugby. Keep channels open and welcoming. No school boy is signing a 10 year NRL contract, they will be back on the market before they turn 21.
Completely agree, Union needs to communicate with these boys not just put up the Great Wall of China. Just because a 17 year old kid Sign a 2-year NRL contract doesn't mean he will stay; Tom Wright is a good example and so to Joe Sualli.

Rudderless

Cyril Towers (30)
MM

FYI

U18 Representative Pathway

Some answers to many FAQ's

· A player may only be selected for ONE of the six NSW teams.

· The GEN BLUE Academy teams are run by the High-Performance department of NSW Rugby.

· Players in the GEN BLUE Academy teams will not participate at the ASRU Championships.

NSW selectors have dismissed their own rules.

Farr-Jones (Yr 11) is playing for NSW Schools 1 today having played for the Waratahs in Brisbane on Saturday.

I've got nothing against this young man as it's not his decision but there seemed to be a truckload of quick backs (many in Yr 12 and their last opportunity) at the trials from various School Associations that could have been given a run.

I'll make no further comment.

Last edited:

Homer

Larry Dwyer (12)
NSW selectors have dismissed their own rules. Farr-Jones is playing for NSW 1 today having played in the Waratahs on Saturday.

I've got nothing against this young man as it's not his decision but there seemed to be a truckload of quick backs at the trials from various School Associations that could have been given a run.

I'll make no further comment.
Its not helping them if that's any consolation. They lost 34-26 to NSW Juniors.
NSW II beat QLD I 12-5.

moa999

Jimmy Flynn (14)
NSW selectors have dismissed their own rules.
Presumably as being a late entry into the Tahs White squad (name was in capitals in the original list) and had actually been named in the Schoolboys squad as well.

Didn't get many minutes in the Tahs White game and think only touched the ball once.. albeit same could be said for most of the reserves - they arguably would have got more playing time in Schoolboys I.

BundyBear

Peter Burge (5)
A few great players in the NSW set up. Keep a close eye on Vaalotu and Cleverly from Newington. They are absolute beasts and tearing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.