• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyAU

Trevor Allan (34)
amount of players who will remain in the first XV for their respective schools from 2022 (each strongest lineup)
1. Riverview- 7
2. Kings- 7
3. Shore- 4
4. Newington- 3
5. Joeys- 4
6. Scors- 2

Numbers might be a bit off, just of my understanding. Excired for the season 23 should be a close one again.
Shore have 5

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
I would not count 2021 as a season. Due to Covid so you can't say Joeys didn't lose a game lol. Also let's remember last time it was a home and away set up Scots were quite the force.....just saying

InsiderScoop

Chris McKivat (8)
Hey fellas, decided to make an account as I watched on all of last season. I think 2023 will be a great season with lots of talent among all schools. What’s everyone’s pre season rankings?

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would not count 2021 as a season. Due to Covid so you can't say Joeys didn't lose a game lol. Also let's remember last time it was a home and away set up Scots were quite the force.....just saying
Brian Smith wasn’t involved last time it was home and away, just saying.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Hopefully all is well. I assume there will probably be some big changes by next year
Hello Props are speedy
Good to hear, I was writing from my own experience.Where there is division, within a school or club, things can nose dive very quickly. With results going south. But if matters are in hand, at Scots, then is no reason why Scots cannot be a force in GPS Rugby.
Don't see shore backing there recent success up but we will see.
Don't see shore backing there recent success up but we will see.
Have to agree with you Tony Weave, the current year 12 cohort at Shore, were an indeed, a talented group of players, and had been since they were the 13As in 2017.But what is following on from them, appears to be less impressive. So to place Shore at 3rd, for next year, is optimistic in the extreme. I would say 4 at the very best, but more than likely, 5 or regrettably 6.

Further to place Newington at 6,I feel, shows a level of naivety, about the current level of GPS standings. Newington can be expected to field, a young but strong and talented 1st XV for next year.This is based on the performance of our 16As. Joint premiers with their old rivals Kings. They are side that has been impressive, with their talented backline, a hallmark of their success.

With the two round system being reintroduced, for next year. A young side such as Newington,could be expected to struggle in the first round. But having been, blooded in round one, there is the likely possibility that these young guns, could evolve into a very competitive force for round two. Nor should we rule out the returning players from the 2nd XV. Although on paper they only won one game, with the exception of Joeys, their losses were very competitive. As displayed by a close 5-10 loss to the premieres Scots.

So I would rate Newington as the Dark Horse, for GPS Rugby in 2023.More than capable of beating the acknowledge favourites of Kings at One, then, I would include Joeys, View and Scots( on the proviso, they sought out their internal issues, otherwise they could plump down the ladder) fighting it out for 2nd place.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Newington truly are the unknown quantity in the comp. At least for the first round which is where I see any potential upsets occurring.

We know what to expect from Joeys. It will always be a good team that won't beat themselves like Scots and View seem to be able to do at times.

I'd agree with Kings being the VERY early season favourite. I thought their 2nds were also very good this past season. Expectation can be a burden at times and I think with H&A returning it brings more chances to slip rather than getting up for the 1 or maybe 2 really big games in the season.

Can't say I know much about Shore so I wont give a prediction as it would just be made up. I will say it's pleasing to see them not being written off as a winless last place. Very interesting season ahead.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Hey fellas, decided to make an account as I watched on all of last season. I think 2023 will be a great season with lots of talent among all schools. What’s everyone’s pre season rankings?
Welcome Marlins Merchant.

There is always much speculation regarding the predictions for the following season. I think the analysis of players retained in the 1st XV from previous seasons is helpful, but only part of the picture. Schools that have a strong 2nd XV with players from Year 11 also do well. I agree with @Balmain Subbies that Scots cannot be discounted simply on the basis of the 1st XV 2022 result.

My observation is that under a two round competition, teams have less time to get match fit for the competition rounds with a reduced number of trials, so schools that can mobilise early will be better prepared, and a well organised rugby program is essential.

Should be another great competition.

Regards
INP

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Never, ever write off Joeys,,,,

1660870375425.png

1660870443462.png

1660870489389.png

Write Joeys off at your peril

runningrugbyrules

Herbert Moran (7)

AAGPS Sports Update - 17 AUGUST 2022:​

The AAGPS Chairman Mr Mark Ticehurst, and Executive Officer Mr Nigel Price, in consultation with the GPS Headmasters' Standing Committee wish to provide the following update regarding GPS sporting programmes:

With the 2022 winter competitions concluding on Saturday 13 August, the AAGPS would like to congratulate all Premiership winning teams in addition to the thousands of students that participated each week for their school in their chosen sport. The Athletics season commences this Saturday 20 August, as we eagerly anticipate the 126th AAGPS Athletics Championships which will be held in their full format for the first time since 2019 at Sydney Olympic Park Athletic Centre on Saturday 17 September 2022.

Throughout 2022, the AAGPS has undertaken a strategic review of the AAGPS calendar and sporting programs, in order to maximise offerings and to provide the best possible experience and sporting program for our students. As a result of this process, the AAGPS is announcing changes to the format of some competitions commencing with the summer season from Term 4, 2022. The Basketball, Cricket and Tennis competitions will revert to a "home and away" 14 round model. In the 2023 winter season, the 1st and 2nd XV Rugby and 1st and 2nd Grade Volleyball competitions will revert to a "home and away" 10 round model. All other competitions and sports in the summer and winter seasons will remain as per their current formats.

The fixtures for the 2022/23 summer competitions and 2023 winter competitions will be made available on the AAGPS website in the coming weeks
Home/away also smart as it limits the amount of school reunions at the same game, for instance as Joeys reunions will be at the Hunters Hill game and Riverview reunions at Lane Cove. Less trouble. Some will go to both games but less trouble

runningrugbyrules

Herbert Moran (7)
amount of players who will remain in the first XV for their respective schools from 2022 (each strongest lineup)
1. Riverview- 7
2. Kings- 7
3. Shore- 4
4. Newington- 3
5. Joeys- 4
6. Scors- 2

Numbers might be a bit off, just of my understanding. Excired for the season 23 should be a close one again.
Who are the players returning from Joeys please, and when are the Australian Schools/U18 being announced and finally are there anymore gen blue U18 games remaining ???

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)
Who are the players returning from Joeys please, and when are the Australian Schools/U18 being announced and finally are there anymore gen blue U18 games remaining ???

Patrick Young, Hwi Sharples, Oscar Jorgenson, Patrick Broe.
Add to that some others who played 3 or more games in 1's across the season (Eamon Doyle, Ben Whyte, Ben Playford from memory) and there's a fair core coming back in addition to some pretty good players in the 2nds back next year.

InsiderScoop

Chris McKivat (8)
1. Riverview- 7
2. Kings- 7
3. Shore- 4
4. Newington- 3
5. Joeys- 4
6. Scors- 2

Interesting stat 345 ,both Riverview and Kings experience will help but I think pre season match fitness and preparation will play a bigger result in the winner of the comp. A longer season will also test the depth of each program

Overall a great decision and initiative from the GPS to bring back the ‘home and away’ season.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
The 2022 Rugby Season has come to an End.
Another Premier & Championship for the 1st XV.

However - There was another Premiers & Championship Team that quietly piled on the points

The Mighty 15F’s.

Coached By Ex-1st XV Coach’s

Br. Anthony Boyd (10 AAGPS titles) and David McDonald (9 AAGPS titles) & Team Doctor - Charlie Abercrombie.

They Scored over +400 Points for the season!

Knocked off an “A” Grade side during the competition and finished with an incredible win over the Kings 15C’s!

Well done & Congratulations Boys and Coaches.

299323050_2213904562115757_3777556475602144928_n.jpg

Evening gents,

Quick question.

When was the last time a Triple Crown was won? (1st, 2nds, 3rds winning their competitions).

I believe Joeys had this last but my sources may be wrong.

Import.

Footylover345

Frank Row (1)
Patrick Young, Hwi Sharples, Oscar Jorgenson, Patrick Broe.
Add to that some others who played 3 or more games in 1's across the season (Eamon Doyle, Ben Whyte, Ben Playford from memory) and there's a fair core coming back in addition to some pretty good players in the 2nds back next year.
Good point cockatoo. However believe all schools had many people from 2s play 3 or more games in firsts. I know from watching riverview there were around 4 others who started or played 3 or more games in firsts throughout the season. As marlins said, due to the longer competition depth is going to be tested

Tony_weave531

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hey boys, I know its early but I am intersted in hearing some predicted first XV's for every school for 2023.

I am a shore dad but my son is in year 8 so I don't know all of the older boys

1. Harry Stiel
2. James Warner
3. Tom Duddy
4. Tom Galligan
5. ?
6. ?
7. Marshall Le maitre
8. Tom Hebbliewhite
9. Hugo Orpin
10. Alex Segart??? Henry Conick???
11. Ben Whatley
12. ?
13. Ollie Mackellar
14. Kobi Lomas
15. Tom Klem (would say he would be captain aswell.)

Other school supporters please send through your teams possible lineups

InsiderScoop

Chris McKivat (8)
Hey boys, I know its early but I am intersted in hearing some predicted first XV's for every school for 2023.

I am a shore dad but my son is in year 8 so I don't know all of the older boys

1. Harry Stiel
2. James Warner
3. Tom Duddy
4. Tom Galligan
5. ?
6. ?
7. Marshall Le maitre
8. Tom Hebbliewhite
9. Hugo Orpin
10. Alex Segart??? Henry Conick???
11. Ben Whatley
12. ?
13. Ollie Mackellar
14. Kobi Lomas
15. Tom Klem (would say he would be captain aswell.)

Other school supporters please send through your teams possible lineups

I think Ben Whatley would play 10, rings a bell that he played 10 for norths reps. Shore u16 and 3xv were relatively strong so i'd suggest players from those teams would fill the other spots. Is there any other shore supporters that know any different?

Status
Not open for further replies.