• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me neither. The 1sts-in-3rds comp seems to work well for TAS and Grammar but not so much High. At some point or another, they'll just have to bite the bullet and drop Rugby from their school sport offering. That would be a sad day.
Evening DaSchmooze, I do not see High Leaving the GPS 3rd XV comp anytime soon.

Yes, High struggle week in and week out, but that's no reason to leave a competition or drop a sport. I think that they will just have to cop the beating until the heads of high decide to improve their rugby program to become competitive amongst the rest of the competition or either drop to the 4th XV competition where they would be better matched. I just can't see High dropping rugby full stop.

The Import.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)

Yes, High struggle week in and week out, but that's no reason to leave a competition or drop a sport. I think that they will just have to cop the beating until the heads of high decide to improve their rugby program to become competitive amongst the rest of the competition or either drop to the 4th XV competition where they would be better matched. I just can't see High dropping rugby full stop.

The Import.
Opening a can of worms but......If High can't participate properly in the broad spectrum of GPS extracurricular activities shouldn't their spot be offered to a school that would love to? St Augustine's perhaps?

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)

The Import.
Yes if it were up to any other GPS school, High would remain for time eternal and I beleieve all GPS schools are on the record for supporting their ongoing involvement. Sadly, the people who run High (NSW Dof E) arent interested in history, tradtion or what other GPS schools want. It's an absolute travesty to see what they've done to that school in the past 20 years.

It wil only take one serious injury to a player and they will nix their Rugby program in a heartbeat (and somehow it will turn into a salacious SMH aticle that will blame the GPS).

If pragmatism were to hold sway, they could continue on with the smaller program against opposition of similiar size and ability and it would make it a more enjoyable expereince for them all. They could easily slot in to ISA Div 2 - no issue.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Opening a can of worms but......If High can't participate properly in the broad spectrum of GPS extracurricular activities shouldn't their spot be offered to a school that would love to? St Augustine's perhaps?
I think that's probably a bit of a long bow there ATA. There'd be no shortage of schools wanting to take their place but I doubt there'd be any appetite from the GPS to change their structures or partiaipating schools.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Sounds like a cop out but I think you just leave them right where they are. Hopefully they can be a middle of the pack 3rd XV team. Unless SBHS want to lower academic standards for some students if they show Athletic promise it isn't going to change. I don't understand why this can't be seen as gifted student also...

I do have concerns about injury in what I saw last year. Especially at scrum time against the Joeys, View, Kings that traditionally have boys that are physically advanced for 3rd XV level compared to others.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
As a regular contributor to the 3rd XV competition and results, I have been concerned over time about the inability of High to match the standards of the other teams in the 3rd XV competition. Last season they had 355 points scored against them and did not score a single point. The High 1st XV lost a trial to Joeys 7ths last year before the season started. And the safety issue is paramount, given the size and strength of the other teams.

The High 1st XV has been very committed in the way they have approached these games - never giving up and always putting up their best effort. They are just significantly outclassed by the 3rd XVs from the other schools and by the Grammar and TAS 1st XVs.

High must remain in the GPS. But if I was a decision maker in this process going forward, I would be recommending that they leave the 3rd XV rugby competition and compete against lower grade open GPS teams where they can be competitive and hopefully enjoy their rugby.

Further, this would create an 8th spot for Newington to re-join the 3rd XV competition.

INP

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Sounds like a cop out but I think you just leave them right where they are. Hopefully they can be a middle of the pack 3rd XV team. Unless SBHS want to lower academic standards for some students if they show Athletic promise it isn't going to change. I don't understand why this can't be seen as gifted student also...

I do have concerns about injury in what I saw last year. Especially at scrum time against the Joeys, View, Kings that traditionally have boys that are physically advanced for 3rd XV level compared to others.
This is so true. The only gifted and talented trait that's valued is academic.

Giddy Up

Bob McCowan (2)
I am a High Supporter and someone well in the know at High.
Firstly, the team did not lose to Joeys 7ths. That is factually incorrect. Even though Joeys suddenly brought on new players towards the end. They still won that game convincingly. I was there. You are correct that they didn’t score a point last year in the GPS Competition however.
Most of the players last year (over 90%) were year 11 boys and they are all coming back. Physically they will be stronger and there will also be a 2nd XV team. Something we didn’t have last year. We started with only 23 players last year and with injuries we really struggled. We had to call on Year 10 players at times.
We have over 40 opens players ready to play this year. Playing numbers across the school have increased by nearly 50% this coming season due to a change in leadership.
You may be pleasantly surprised by the skill set of the 1st XV this year. They will be very competitive and will surprise a few teams.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Firstly, the team did not lose to Joeys 7ths. That is factually incorrect. Even though Joeys suddenly brought on new players towards the end. They still won that game convincingly. I was there. You are correct that they didn’t score a point last year in the GPS Competition however.
Most of the players last year (over 90%) were year 11 boys and they are all coming back. Physically they will be stronger and there will also be a 2nd XV team. Something we didn’t have last year. We started with only 23 players last year and with injuries we really struggled. We had to call on Year 10 players at times.
We have over 40 opens players ready to play this year. Playing numbers across the school have increased by nearly 50% this coming season due to a change in leadership.
You may be pleasantly surprised by the skill set of the 1st XV this year. They will be very competitive and will surprise a few teams.
good to hear, hopefully High do better this year. The fact the High 1st XV is even playing the Joeys 7th XV should be of concern regardless of the result, they are after all known as the social 7ths.....

Giddy Up

Bob McCowan (2)
good to hear, hopefully High do better this year. The fact the High 1st XV is even playing the Joeys 7th XV should be of concern regardless of the result, they are after all known as the social 7ths.....
It was a trial. Thanks for your constructive comments

jack andrews

Stan Wickham (3)
Evening GPS followers,

As the season nears, I have a few questions to ask (if you are a reliable source).

1). If there are ANY new boys who have joined the school you support that may either make 1s, 2s, or 3s. What are their names and positions?

2). Does anyone have ANY updated team predictions for your favoured school's 1st XV?

3). Any players to look out for and why when their school is playing? (3 or 4 players would be ideal)

4). How your favoured schools pre season is going (if they have started).

Just wanting to hear your opinions and information for the exciting season to come.

The Import.
Newington predicted 1xv

1. B.Mougios
2. L.Ata
3. L.Murray
4. J.Veiru
5. C.Foster
6. L.Cleverley
7. S.Martin
8. J.Va'alatu
9. K. Owen
10. M.Humphries
11. T. Far Jones
12. M.Cleverley
13. C.Mclean
14. B.Warner
15. T.Rodwell

schoolboyfooty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Newington predicted 1xv

1. B.Mougios
2. L.Ata
3. L.Murray
4. J.Veiru
5. C.Foster
6. L.Cleverley
7. S.Martin
8. J.Va'alatu
9. K. Owen
10. M.Humphries
11. T. Far Jones
12. M.Cleverley
13. C.Mclean
14. B.Warner
15. T.Rodwell
Koby Owen is out this season with an ACL injury, I believe that Jack Smith will be the halfback this year.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Newington predicted 1xv

1. B.Mougios
2. L.Ata
3. L.Murray
4. J.Veiru
5. C.Foster
6. L.Cleverley
7. S.Martin
8. J.Va'alatu
9. K. Owen
10. M.Humphries
11. T. Far Jones
12. M.Cleverley
13. C.Mclean
14. B.Warner
15. T.Rodwell
I would put McLean on the wing (14) and bring in the inside center who played 2nd xv in 2022 to play outside center in 2023 or inside center and Celeverly moves to outside center.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Giddy Up,

I am very pleased to hear that High will be stronger this year and that will be good for the teams and good for GPS rugby. Please do not interpret my comments as criticism of the boys or the team.

And I apologise you are correct that High 1st XV did defeat the Joeys 7th XV last year in a trial by 22-14 on 14 May according to the GPS website. I had it the wrong way around.

Still I am sure you can understand my concern with a 0-355 for and against from just 7 games last year.

I was at Mackay Oval in 1973 when the High 1st XV defeated the Joeys 1st XV and went on to win the GPS 1st XV Premiership and have watched the unfortunate demise of High rugby over many decades, the reasons which are well known and have been discussed at length.

Fifty years later, it would be appropriate in 2023 for a resurgence of High Rugby which will be a great thing for High and the GPS.

Regards
INP

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Hi schoolboyfooty

That's a big blow for New having Owen out for the season. Thought he had a good season last year. I guess the good news is that whoever the halfback is, they'll get some time/trials to form a combo with Humphries. New's outside backs are again lethal like last year. Depth will be their problem.

Not much news out of SIC. I know they are training internally and as mentioned, probably using this season as a stepping stone for next. Could upset a few teams on their day.

Giddy Up

Bob McCowan (2)
Giddy Up,

I am very pleased to hear that High will be stronger this year and that will be good for the teams and good for GPS rugby. Please do not interpret my comments as criticism of the boys or the team.

And I apologise you are correct that High 1st XV did defeat the Joeys 7th XV last year in a trial by 22-14 on 14 May according to the GPS website. I had it the wrong way around.

Still I am sure you can understand my concern with a 0-355 for and against from just 7 games last year.

I was at Mackay Oval in 1973 when the High 1st XV defeated the Joeys 1st XV and went on to win the GPS 1st XV Premiership and have watched the unfortunate demise of High rugby over many decades, the reasons which are well known and have been discussed at length.

Fifty years later, it would be appropriate in 2023 for a resurgence of High Rugby which will be a great thing for High and the GPS.

Regards
INP
Thanks for your comments. I believe you will see a very different team this year. High are playing Shore 3rds in trials through the holidays. It will be interesting to see how they go.

Status
Not open for further replies.