• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
NRL players.
No. These lads were already signed up to NRL clubs before coming to Scots. Please name one player who played rugby exclusively all his life at Scots and then played NRL after leaving school. I am most happy to be corrected.

NOTE- Thomas Yassmin scored a touchdown for Utah State University this past weekend. He may be inline to be drafted to the NFL.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
NOTE- Thomas Yassmin scored a touchdown for Utah State University this past weekend. He may be inline to be drafted to the NFL.
He’s on a very good team and performing which is impressive. He has the physique for a NFL Tight End but will need another good year next year as a Senior with others in front of him currently in the position at Utah.

Could be a great prospect for the international positions that they have given out to to teams for guys like Christian Wade, Jordan Mailata, Valentine Holmes. They don’t count against their player cap at first.

Could be Scots 2nd NFL player if it happened after Colin Scots was drafted in 1987.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Might be a question impossible to answer but does a guy like Tim Anderson have the goal to coach professionally?

A lot of the great coaches have come through the school path in the past. I remember reading comments from Eddie Jones about how many young coaches wanting to be professional coaches don't have the ability to educate players anymore. They are fountains of knowledge on technical aspects of the game but lack the ability to nurture it. Personally, I'm not an Eddie Jones fan but I understand the point.

We all would have come across bosses/managers that are very good at their job but can't mentor someone to save themselves and also the other way that some people just naturally can get the best out of you and build an environment you grow in.

I think of a guy like Anderson over the last few years at Joeys and I'm sure others can chip in for their various school affiliation but for View I think of a man like the late Les Kirkpatrick and what he brought.

Goosestep

Johnnie Wallace (23)
No. These lads were already signed up to NRL clubs before coming to Scots. Please name one player who played rugby exclusively all his life at Scots and then played NRL after leaving school. I am most happy to be corrected.

Toby rudolf

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
Shame top see how many of the great NSW U16 team were named in the emerging origin squad, some real talent lost again. Having said that, some great players left as well.
Wondering why Tom Goddard was the starting half while Teddy Wilson has a NSW contract? Thought Goddard and Morrison were very good.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)

Crichton wasn't signed to a NRL club before starting at Scots. First played Roosters SG Ball in Year 12 (first 5 rounds) didn't sign with league until after school

Up and In

Allen Oxlade (6)
Might be a question impossible to answer but does a guy like Tim Anderson have the goal to coach professionally?

A lot of the great coaches have come through the school path in the past. I remember reading comments from Eddie Jones about how many young coaches wanting to be professional coaches don't have the ability to educate players anymore. They are fountains of knowledge on technical aspects of the game but lack the ability to nurture it. Personally, I'm not an Eddie Jones fan but I understand the point.

We all would have come across bosses/managers that are very good at their job but can't mentor someone to save themselves and also the other way that some people just naturally can get the best out of you and build an environment you grow in.

I think of a guy like Anderson over the last few years at Joeys and I'm sure others can chip in for their various school affiliation but for View I think of a man like the late Les Kirkpatrick and what he brought.
This is a great perspective, GoR. It is difficult to gauge the aptitude of coaches when variables such as player natural talent, rugby culture and other financial variables come into play. I think of:
* Riverview's Matt Hutchison was a great thinker, but word is that Murray Harley was a huge reason for this mid-90s success.
Les Kirkpatrick and James Rodgers were inspirational coaches of teams not naturally gifted, but perhaps not as technically savvy
* Joey's Br Anthony Boyd had talent to burn but knew kids really well, more than most. He was a real student of the game, to the end, and success followed deservedly. Anderson and Thomson don't have the human connection and genuine understanding that Boydy has and their popularity wavers. They lost games as coaches when the rest of the school was winning every week
* Newington's Brad Gill had success when the school pivoted their rugby platform philosophy. His predecessors struggled without the same support
Scots' Brian Smith (see above). His predecessors such as Peter Koen, Graeme Dedrick and Phil Barlow had nowhere near the support, although Warwick Melrose did, in 1992/3
* Kings' James Hilgendorf is doing really well without the level of resources that some others have, and people like experienced John Warr have been crucial. Andrew Parry and Rob Egerton achieved success at the turn of the century, but what role did other Hawkes intervention financial strategies play in this?
* High's Tony Hannon was the Jack Gibson/Wayne Bennett of his School Rugby - perhaps not as technically proficient as his counterparts but he was "game-smart" and was loved deeply; he often won because of the loyalty engendered. His players would, rightfully, die for him
* Shore's Gareth Inches, Guy Shrosbree, Tim Wallace, Andrew Tate are greatly under-estimated. IMHO were better coaches than many of those listed above because they had to coach above their station, and achieved more than their results reflect
* High's Rob Farrugia was similar to Tony Hannon and Les K. Think Sam and Andrew Mower (I hope I got that right). Many others '95-'05 made them competitive

Measuring a coach's ability and effectiveness needs to factor in the talent available, the resources available, his connection to his troops, his knowledge of the game, his willingness to adapt and his motivations to succeed.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Awesome write up @Up and In thank you for that.

I just find it an interesting point about the modern-day coach. Once you're at the professional level you are all playing with the best of the best athletically and I know you are impacted by variables such as recruitment, salary caps, GMs, facilities etc... but you still have elite players. My opinion becomes that the man manager/inspirational coach becomes more valuable. The limited experience I've seen of these environments also tends to show assistant coaches doing a lot more of the day-to-day drills and the head coach is there to make sure everyone is pulling in the right direction and outside noise is managed.

Sorry, this got off topic. Just made me think when he's clearly a talented bloke

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/5dac6495467f5982ce91a1af5f549539

Raises the question again, if they were already committed to NRL why did they take up a pathways position from someone else.
They’re not signed well not in the sense that they’re lost to union or committed to league. Lots of the talent plays both codes and in the case of Mitch Woods AFL as well. No code or club can sign them beyond their 18th birthday. If we said you can only play pathways if your not playing other codes then you would have lost players like Max Jorgensen, Ollie Cummins etc. What the Waratahs along with Rugby AU is giving these boys a good taste of what professional rugby union looks like and the fact that it goes beyond just the Eastern side of the country.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)

I don't think he was implying that, I think he's implying that the training and development within the Scots program helped them to reach an NRL level.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
His predecessors such as Peter Koen, Graeme Dedrick and Phil Barlow had nowhere near the support, although Warwick Melrose did, in 1992/3
You missed Rod Cutler who had some talent (Sam Carter) but was handcuffed with the level of support. As someone who knew (and admired) the last of the pure staff coaches of Inches, Paterson, Cooper, the hired hands had sporadic success. Then Blackburn came along with and with the support of Darth Lambert, the dark empire experienced domination across the galaxy. It took the smallest AAGPS school to take back control.....

JOEYS RUGBY- Empire strikes.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.