• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
No definitely keep the Kings Cattlemen, Blue Horseshoe is a reference to those providing inside information in the '87 classic 'Wall Street'
The Cattlemen of Kings Landing.....

1683632534423.png

could have been....

The Goanna Cadet Corp

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Riverview v Newington:
*Writing this with my Lane Cove River stained retinas*
I see this game going 2 very different directions. Newington go into this as one of the early season favourites and I'm sure many have tipped a +10 victory for the Black & White. A loss to Barker in a high scoring trial doesn't worry me too much as it is a trial and looked as though they can put their foot down at any moment and pile it on. Riverview has had a steady build through the trials and look to be much fitter than the previous couple of season whilst maybe not having the top end talent of others they have talent in important positions 7,9,10,13,15. If View can keep it close for 50 minutes I do believe they can snatch what would be an upset. Conversely if Newington play to what some believe they can then this one could be a lopsided affair and a long day at Stanmore.

2nds & 3rds: I'll tip View to take both

Shore v Kings:
Shore are building their program as it should be done which is great to see. Competitive throughout the trials but this one might hurt. I feel like Kings have barely tested the engine on this one so far and playing Scots in the last trial seems like the perfect tune up. Shore will need to be error free and execute every time they enter a point scoring situation. Stranger things have happened and a Rugby ball bounce one way here could change it all. Assuming Kings have a full strength line up I see them handling this game and being able to score enough points to win comfortably.

2nd & 3rds: Kings to win both

Scots v Joeys:
Game of the round
I'd say Scots go into this game as the favourites (I'm sure that cretin Tom Waterhouse would give you a line). Trial season has been a bit of a mixed bag for Joeys which may be skewing the favouritism to others. I expect a tight game in this one and no a heap of points. Wouldn't surprise me to see a score like 18/12 either way but I have gone with Scots. The rise of Newington's favouritism has probably hidden the boys from Bellevue Hill. With some very influential players returning who have the ability to win a game off some individual brilliance, they sit right up there with Kings for me. Winnings a habit and both these schools have it over the recent seasons. I expect an aggressive defensive display.

2nd & 3rds: Joeys to win both

Caveat:
Capture.JPG

Bob Peters

Frank Nicholson (4)
Riverview v Newington:
*Writing this with my Lane Cove River stained retinas*
I see this game going 2 very different directions. Newington go into this as one of the early season favourites and I'm sure many have tipped a +10 victory for the Black & White. A loss to Barker in a high scoring trial doesn't worry me too much as it is a trial and looked as though they can put their foot down at any moment and pile it on. Riverview has had a steady build through the trials and look to be much fitter than the previous couple of season whilst maybe not having the top end talent of others they have talent in important positions 7,9,10,13,15. If View can keep it close for 50 minutes I do believe they can snatch what would be an upset. Conversely if Newington play to what some believe they can then this one could be a lopsided affair and a long day at Stanmore.
Shore v Kings:
Scots v Joeys:
Great synopsis. Form lines certainly hard to get this early in the season. Watched all Joeys games so far and not quite sure what to make of them myself. As usual, they'll be better at the end of the season than the start - but will that be too late?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Great synopsis. Form lines certainly hard to get this early in the season. Watched all Joeys games so far and not quite sure what to make of them myself. As usual, they'll be better at the end of the season than the start - but will that be too late?
With 2 rounds that set up may work out just fine. Of course a team may go undefeated and you can't touch them but a huge benefit of the 2 round comp which I am a fan of now is the aspect of dropping a game doesn't ruin a year and make you hope someone else beats someone. At least half the comp will still control their own destiny at the start of the second round.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Slightly off topic

tunnels? Yay or nay?

last Saturday Oakhill formed a very long one. The issue for me is kids running back to stands afterwards.

thoughts?

2A08939B-5FB4-4DA6-AF33-2B1CA2F0A639.jpeg

Last edited:

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
While I am at Oakhill. I was asked about the BBQ. Excellent! The speed of service and the generous amounts of bacon made this a hit. Rolls were smaller to Joeys but the steak and small snags was great. No smiling mothers to be seen but very helpful dads who liked a chat. BBQ still going after full time. Well done OHC.

Score 9/10

The Front Rower

Sydney Middleton (9)
Good man Rudderless. Your support if greatly appreciated.
I am looking forward to coming out to Castle Grey Skull once more to see the big cattle go up against the cattle dogs on the big paddock.
Scots have a few injuries Blake Steep and young Finn Bartlett (who has been Scots best forward in both trials), Could be some juggling up and down between 1st and 2nds. Zach Fittler had the flu last week so assuming he's playing against Joeys in Round 1. Could be more to be determined.

TheRuckRomper

Frank Row (1)
Im glad to report the Blue and White army has bounced back form their stiff 26 point loss against Knox.
Fortunately, Ben (footy) Whatly is finally back in prime condition and has fully recovered from his recent arm injury. Rumor has it he's looking to sniff out an upset, and will stop at nothing to prove himself victorious over the Sheep tacklers this Saturday.
We wish the big fella luck as he leads the hearts of thousands of Shore boys into battle. GO SHORE

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Love the tunnels.

Even better when they use to have to snake when at Newington and your the away team. Don't know if it's the same anymore.
Biggest tunnel I saw was the 1982 Dark Empire v the Cattledogs at the Death Star. That bad boy snaked all over the place. The Scots team sprinted through it and I swear it was almost 200m long. Joeys did what they always do, they walked on slowly.

Last edited:

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Slightly off topic

tunnels? Yay or nay?

last Saturday Oakhill formed a very long one. The issue for me is kids running back to stands afterwards.

thoughts?

View attachment 15928
Big fan of the tunnel joker. When junior spank first started at Oakhill the first 15 results were not so great. The crowds (both parents and students ) were extremely small and no interest for students to stay back and watch which was a shame. As results have improved over the last 5-6 years the crowds have returned and the students have bought into supporting the first XV again. The tunnel makes them feel a part of the team and of course the players love it

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What has spurred this Oakhill rugby resurgence? Schools like Oakhill being able to go toe 2 toe with the big boys is what makes me long for a combined comp or even knockout comp between all schools like the Waratah Shield.

Imagine an FA Cup style comp, with the Sports High Schools, ISA, CAS, and GPS. Im sure you could even get some schools like Epping and Randwick in there.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
What has spurred this Oakhill rugby resurgence? Schools like Oakhill being able to go toe 2 toe with the big boys is what makes me long for a combined comp or even knockout comp between all schools like the Waratah Shield.

Imagine an FA Cup style comp, with the Sports High Schools, ISA, CAS, and GPS. Im sure you could even get some schools like Epping and Randwick in there.
Tips?

BarkersSalaryCap

Frank Row (1)
While I am at Oakhill. I was asked about the BBQ. Excellent! The speed of service and the generous amounts of bacon made this a hit. Rolls were smaller to Joeys but the steak and small snags was great. No smiling mothers to be seen but very helpful dads who liked a chat. BBQ still going after full time. Well done OHC.

Score 9/10
Perfect way to sum up the Oakhill culture, as competitive as they can be in footy but are always willing to put on a feed and accomodate for their visitors, love showing up for a snag and being greeted by the likes of Christo and the great lads who run the bbq.

Status
Not open for further replies.