• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Are they a shadow of the juggernaut they once were?

Premierships TABLE.jpg

Just to add, last years championship AAGPS SCHOOL.

Final School Championship.jpg

harryfromhay

Allen Oxlade (6)
Scot’s v Joeys game was a thriller. However, very unlike joeys to give up a 21-0 lead. Are they a shadow of the juggernaut they once
Odd name. I tend to agree though. Maybe they are becoming what View have been the past decade. Maybe they’re switching roles this year.

Last edited:

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Best I can do. Scots 9 obscures Joeys 7

View attachment 15995
It happened right in front of me, Young tried to slow down when he realised the timing was wrong. The expression on his face was “oh fark”. There wasn’t enough time to abort the tackle though so he was lucky it was treated as a yellow. Probably the right outcome and thankfully no injury resulted.

BobbyD

Peter Burge (5)
Scot’s v Joeys game was a thriller. However, very unlike joeys to give up a 21-0 lead. Are they a shadow of the juggernaut they once were?
The 'juggernaut' had a decade off winning any 1st XV trophies prior to sharing the title again in 2018. Joeys have only lost 2 GPS competition games out of 24 from 2018 till today (vs Kings '18 and '20). Might be a bit early to describe a school going to Scots in Rd 1 and winning 3rd, 2nds, and blowing a big lead in 1sts to come away with a draw as a 'shadow'. Last year the Joeys 'super team' escaped from Scots 'wooden spooners' with a 19-15 win that even Joker wrote they didn't deserve to win. Time will tell ...

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Fittler and Jacques created opportunities not by the forwards rolling forward but by lateral movement and playing fast off the break. The Scots forwards have very little post contact metres hence why they don't get a roll on and create space and time on the ball for the backs.
Scots replaced a few forwards with some very large units in the second half, much bigger than joeys pack … This is what fatigued joeys, who normally have excellent defence as seen in the first half where Scots 12/13 were silent …

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
The 'juggernaut' had a decade off winning any 1st XV trophies prior to sharing the title again in 2018. Joeys have only lost 2 GPS competition games out of 24 from 2018 till today (vs Kings '18 and '20). Might be a bit early to describe a school going to Scots in Rd 1 and winning 3rd, 2nds, and blowing a big lead in 1sts to come away with a draw as a 'shadow'. Last year the Joeys 'super team' escaped from Scots 'wooden spooners' with a 19-15 win that even Joker wrote they didn't deserve to win. Time will tell ...
Time will tell indeed. There is a lot of improvement in Joeys across the board, I feel like they might be underdone on fitness right now (particularly relative to a usual Joeys team) in part because the short trials run up doesn't allow as much time to beat the team into shape in the traditional way. Scots also has room to improve, right or wrong I expected more from their tight 5, if I was coaching I would be playing Brial in the 2 row, I don't see him as a back rower but more a big body 2 row player, reckon he would make the team stronger from that position.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Time will tell indeed. There is a lot of improvement in Joeys across the board, I feel like they might be underdone on fitness right now (particularly relative to a usual Joeys team) in part because the short trials run up doesn't allow as much time to beat the team into shape in the traditional way. Scots also has room to improve, right or wrong I expected more from their tight 5, if I was coaching I would be playing Brial in the 2 row, I don't see him as a back rower but more a big body 2 row player, reckon he would make the team stronger from that position.
I agree with that. I could see him doing a lot of damage in the tight 5. As long as they have someone up to it for the backrow...

The Front Rower

Sydney Middleton (9)
I agree with that. I could see him doing a lot of damage in the tight 5. As long as they have someone up to it for the backrow...
Scots are juggling injuries in the forwards i.e.: Blake Steep and Finn Bartlett so fair cred to the boys that have stepped up and possibly playing out of position for the overall benefit of the team. Let's hope they get all the boys back and can have greater players to pick from. Toby Brial had a mighty game and was the best Scots forward by a country mile. Here's to Round 2 and another 8 rounds of rugby.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
You are correct Goosestep. Smart coaching but almost left it too late. 12/13 certainly stepped up in 2nd half

Joeys third try ( set pice scrum, cut out 12, onto fullback to winger in the corner ) has been used since Adam was a boy. Either from a clean line out 40m out or a scrum. It was the same one used to finish Newington last year and similar to finish View a few years back. Teams and coaches must know its coming and it is very simple yet if executed well ( and this the key to training at speed/accuracy of pass ) hard to stop. Slide defence is vital. Joeys 10 will pass it. no use trying to tackle him. 12 will be cut out and 13 will be flying onto it with 15 wrapping around. The D's 10,12 must slide and move up to 13 in one line. 13 must shift to cover the space between 13 and winger expecting 15 to come through and draw and pass to winger. D's winger must stay on wing and 15 should cover the attacking number who comes through the line. With video of games nowadays, hard to believe that opposition caoches can't set up defences to counter this Joeys move that is practised and executed from the 13G's to the Firsts.

Well done to Joeys

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Scots are juggling injuries in the forwards i.e.: Blake Steep and Finn Bartlett so fair cred to the boys that have stepped up and possibly playing out of position for the overall benefit of the team. Let's hope they get all the boys back and can have greater players to pick from. Toby Brial had a mighty game and was the best Scots forward by a country mile. Here's to Round 2 and another 8 rounds of rugby.
all good points, and to be clear I'm not being critical of Brial, I just reckon he is a tight 5 player, not sure how tall he is exactly but I could imagine him becoming a Brad Thorn style second rower.

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV Trial 3 Results

High 1st XV 45 d St Stanislaus 3rd XV 10
It has been reported that High 1st XV have made it two wins in a row with victory over Stannies 3rds by a decent margin. They have now scored 70 points in the last two matches (compared to 0 points in the comp last year). What a great turnaround and looks promising for their first competition match which is an early comp game v TAS next week in Armidale. I can't wait for that one.

Kings 3rd XV 22 d v Shore 3rd XV 10
Kings are looking the goods with consecutive trial victories over Scots and Shore and clearly have no intention of letting the Col Windon Shield go anywhere else (they currently share it with Riverview). Their final trial match next week is against Newington at Stanmore and they should have no trouble with that match based on recent results.

Joeys 3rd XV 12 d Scots 3rd XV 7
It's always hard to win at Bellevue Hill so Joeys would be very happy with this trial result. They head to Shore next week for their final trial before the first comp round against Grammar. Scots are not out of this by any means. Close losses to Kings and Joeys put them right in the frame for a good season once the comp starts.

Riverview 3rd XV 31 d Newington 3rd XV 0
With a strong away win over Newington at Stanmore, Riverview 3rds are also shaping up well for defense of the title in 2023. They host Scots at Lane Cove in their final trial next Saturday and that should be a really good barometer for how they are travelling before the competition starts.

St Stanislaus 1st XV 15 d Grammar 1st XV 12
Grammar have now had three losses on the trot but have not played any trials against teams in the 3rd XV GPS competition, so it is really hard to know how they are going. My instinct says that they need to win before the competition starts. They are playing St Pats next week in their final trial so are likely to start the GPS competition as a bit of an unknown quatity when they face Joeys at Rushcutters Bay on 27 May.

Regards
INP

kings 3rds will actually be playing st pats Strathfield, this will be a great challenge st pats has one of there better teams over the years with a outstanding 10,12 and 15.

Alex conti and Mitch woods will be two players to watch if you plan on watching the game. In my personal opinion Alex conti and Mitch woods are the best 10 and 15 for their age group shown in the under 16 national championship last year.

kings 4th xv will play newo 3rds this week with a big crowd due to the old boy reunions.

NedKelly

Frank Nicholson (4)
My enjoyment from members on here losing their minds over the clock stopping with a minute to go is nothing short of of an outright victory by the boys in gold and blue. @Joker will attest to the Joeys trick of stopping it at 2mins. It is still spoken in hush tones in the east about the robbery by the gents in pink in 94. For refence the clock guide. The referee will blow time on and off as he sees fit and unlike rugby on tv it does not reflect the score board clock.

In all great game and even better was Scots getting the draw after playing against 16 opponents. I still cannot understand how the Joeys 7 was not red carded for taking the player out in the air. But again, Labor is in power these days so not much makes sense.
Can you point out where anyone has lost their minds because the clock stopped with a minute to go? And in the next breath you whinge about the ref? Seriously?

Union on Top

Peter Burge (5)
kings 3rds will actually be playing st pats Strathfield, this will be a great challenge st pats has one of there better teams over the years with a outstanding 10,12 and 15.

Alex conti and Mitch woods will be two players to watch if you plan on watching the game. In my personal opinion Alex conti and Mitch woods are the best 10 and 15 for their age group shown in the under 16 national championship last year.

kings 4th xv will play newo 3rds this week with a big crowd due to the old boy reunions.
I expect St. Pats to comfortably win this game. They have given some decent CAS 1XV sides a run for their money

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
I expect St. Pats to comfortably win this game. They have given some decent CAS 1XV sides a run for their money

this game will definitely be tough for the boys from parramatta, I think it’s great idea from kings to place there 3rds against them rather then a newo 3rds lineup (which don’t play in 3rds comp).

However st pats forward pack is noticeably week, and kings having players in there 3rds like Anton thiel (16s Gps 1s) and many players from there 16As side last year I believe they will be able to compete with st pats if they attack threw the forward pack.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)

Thanks RnB

I try to follow the AAGPS fixtures but occasionally these vary. I still don't know how Stannies 3rds managed to play both High AND Grammar last week :)

Grammar are scheduled to play St Pats as well this Saturday so perhaps one team is playing against their 1sts and the other team against their 2nds?

Kings 4ths are probably a better match for Newington 3rds in any case given recent losses by Newington.

Thanks very much for the update.

INP

Status
Not open for further replies.