• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
That’s BS. I have photos showing the size of the view and kings crowds as similiar. The noise from each was certainly similiar. There are 350 boarders at kings out of maybe 1400, which is not half. Boarders and rugby players attend, not compulsory for others. I assure you that school spirit and culture is very strong at Kings at present, particularly with rugby. Kings won the 1s and 2s and about half the other games from 13s-16s which is an improvement from what happened against View last year.
29 Rugby games between Kings & View last weekend and Kings won 8 View won 21.

Between 13s-16s 20 games.
Kings wins: 3
View: 17

Scores did closer from the same fixture last year.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Who wins:

Churchie (QLD) 2014 or Scots 2014

Household names at Chruchie including:
- Izzy Perese (Waratahs)
- Kayln Ponga (Knights)
- Jayden Su'a (Dragons)
- Brodie Croft (Was meant to take Cooper Cronks spot at Storm - tough task to live up to)
- Liam Wright (Reds)
Always a shame that the top Qld and NSW GPS teams don't meet.
Would have been a great game.
Ponga's schoolboy highlights reel is very special.
It was about that time that Scots played a supposedly strong TSS pre-seaon and won convincingly.

Last edited:

runningrugbyrules

Chris McKivat (8)
Joeys 1990 team. Jorgo, Matty Burke. Undeafted all season long. I think they got something like 7 kids in the Australian Schools Tour to the UK.
1990 had great (future year) players like Burke and Jorgo who were very young for year 12
1991 was by far the better and more dominant team, countless first graders in both teams

Attachments

• 991E1733-2AB4-40CE-BB7F-8CB51F21DF09.jpeg
    991E1733-2AB4-40CE-BB7F-8CB51F21DF09.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 0D89DAD8-E764-4082-9BD1-A92594CAFA14.jpeg
    0D89DAD8-E764-4082-9BD1-A92594CAFA14.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 48587A96-5679-40D0-B51E-188206CD3316.jpeg
    48587A96-5679-40D0-B51E-188206CD3316.jpeg
    926.7 KB · Views: 163

runningrugbyrules

Chris McKivat (8)
1990 had great (future year) players like Burke and Jorgo who were very young for year 12
1991 was by far the better and more dominant team, countless first graders in both teams
I think only 1 player from 1991 didn’t play first grade in Sydney

(and that was pre multiple super rugby teams & 50 Aussies playing in Europe thus weakening Sydney first grade)

Last edited:

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Having spoken to David K about his time at Joeys, he regards the 90 team as a more talented individual team but thinks that the 91 team had to work harder and achieved more than the 90 cause they didn't have the superstars. Remember watching both teams and I agree with him.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Joeys 1990 had 7 Australian Schoolboys
And don't forget Joker that the 1990 Joeys 1st XV did not have a single try scored against them in the competition rounds conceding only 9 points from 3 penalties.

The 2019 Joeys GPS Championship 1st XV may not be quite at that level but has already produced Bokenham (Waratahs), Chan (Australian U20), Dowling (Australian 7s / Waratahs), Gibbs (Norths 1st grade / Manly), O'Kane (Ireland Rugby League), Websdale, Houston, O'Brien (Randwick 1sts) and its still early days to see how far some of these players will go.

CasualObserver

Bob McCowan (2)
That’s BS. I have photos showing the size of the view and kings crowds as similiar. The noise from each was certainly similiar. There are 350 boarders at kings out of maybe 1400, which is not half. Boarders and rugby players attend, not compulsory for others. I assure you that school spirit and culture is very strong at Kings at present, particularly with rugby. Kings won the 1s and 2s and about half the other games from 13s-16s which is an improvement from what happened against View last year.
Half the underage games? My understanding is that Riverview won 16ABCEF, 15ACD, 14ABCDE & 13BCDE

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
David was always a "goody, goody". In all seriousness, David is/was very diligent, hard working and would have been a great leader in the 90 and of course as captain in 91. Those Joeys teams were awesome.
The Kings 20 team was very good. The Scots 14 team was good as well. Special mention to the New 10 team that beat Joeys last round 50 something to nil.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
And don't forget Joker that the 1990 Joeys 1st XV did not have a single try scored against them in the competition rounds conceding only 9 points from 3 penalties.

The 2019 Joeys GPS Championship 1st XV may not be quite at that level but has already produced Bokenham (Waratahs), Chan (Australian U20), Dowling (Australian 7s / Waratahs), Gibbs (Norths 1st grade / Manly), O'Kane (Ireland Rugby League), Websdale, Houston, O'Brien (Randwick 1sts) and its still early days to see how far some of these players will go.
It's very hard to compare teams 30 years apart. Joeys dominance through the 80's and early 90's close to absolute with the 81 - 92 period of premierships broken by only '87 (that bloody intercept) and the occasional shared year. Fast forward and most GPS schools have lifted their standards at the top level to match.

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
My Top 5 AAGPS Premiers teams in the past decade - mostly based on the teams I enjoyed watching:

1. 2014 Scots, as previously mentioned undefeated over 10 games, line break city, remember watching them tear apart Riverview (to my demise), a lot league boys in the team meant for some crazy offloads.
Notable Players: Angus Crichton (Roosters/Kangaroo), Guy Porter (Leicester Tigers/ 4 England Caps), Toby Rudolph (Sharks)

2. 2020 Kings, Dominant, Strong, Quick, boy where they good.
Notable Players: Will Penisini (Eels/Tonga International), Teddy Wilson (Waratahs/U20 Wallabies), Sua'ali'i’i (Roosters/Waratahs/Samoa International)

3. 2018 Joeys, A very underrated team in this list, whilst they may not have the notable players, they clicked like no team I have seen do before. There precision in every game was second to none, there ability to stay in a game, claw there way back (against Riverview and Scots), astonishing. Such an aggressive but poised team. They have set a Joeys mentality precedent for years to come.

4. 2022 Joeys, This team will be talked about for years to come, and will only age better and better, very similar to 2018 Joeys, they clicked, and with arguably the best schoolboy player in the last 10 years at their helm in Max Jorgensen, they were unplayable (or may just be some recency bias) . Max (Waratahs/Wallabies), Hiwi Sharples, Jack Barrett (U20 Wallabies), Ronan Leahy (U20 Wallabies), Joey Fowler (U20 Wallabies) - an all-star lineup, who all have potential to be special future Super Rugby players and even Wallabies.

5. 2015 NC, Remember watching this team and thinking, gee that Cameron Murray is good, whilst he did carry the team slightly, very fast and hard carrying, took them to the title.
Notable Players: Cam Murray (Rabbitohs/Australia), Bailey Simonsson (Eels), Bailey Kuenzle (Stud at the Brumbies - Currently Force)

*Honourable Mention

2021 Riverview - A deadly 9/10/12 combo. Dan Nelson (U20 Wallabies/G1 Syd Uni), Jack Bowen (U20 Wallabies/Waratahs/G1 Easts), Henry O'Donnell (U20 Wallabies/G1 Norths) - All of which are in Waratahs Academy.

Any discourse will be great, tell me what you would change.

id have kings 2018 over joeys 2018. Considering they beat joeys at joeys and the only game they did lose that year was against newo on back to newo day and they had 7 players out .

kentwellcupchamp87

Stan Wickham (3)
Kentwell's Riverview v Joeys Thoughts:

The headliner! The match that stops the North Shore. Its been many years since View have beat joeys in the GPS and i'm sure those years of hurt have rallied up the View boys. Coming off the loss to Kings the View team got their wakeup call. The forwards will be key for Riverview to be able to make plenty of space to run out the joe boys that seem to lack cohesion. This said, Joeys suffered a devastating loss last week and won't go down easy. I have Riverview by double digits simply because of their 70 min performances they have regularly performed. Joeys are good in patches but their forward pack is just not as drilled in as View's one and I can't see the Joeys backs making up for it. If the game wasn't at Leichhardt i'd say it would be unwinnable for joeys.

TheRugbysmoker185

Allen Oxlade (6)
A massive shoutout to Charlie Galligan (Shore 16AS), he's been really impressive with the ball and without; his breakdowns and lineouts are amazing to watch. He should have a big chance for the President's Cup in my eyes, and if he misses out, he will be very unlucky. He is the younger brother of Tom Galligan (Shore 1sts), and in my eyes he is a better player. Massive reps to this kid, and I am looking forwards to his bright future. The Smokey

Status
Not open for further replies.