• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Ss predicted, all home favs won in round 4. Kings and New by a fair margin and View got over Joeys well in the end. This is the last throw of the dice for the bottom 3 teams who are all hosting the 3 favs this Thursday. I think you'll find that most/all away schools will bus out some supporters.

As mentioned, I'm over Joeys, but if they can get the win vs Kings at home ( and I expect the stand should be packed/loud and the 16th man should help) then View and New are back with a chance. There's plenty of opinions why Joeys are struggling this year. Injuries ( but all schools have some ), Style of play ( spreading the ball too wide too early etc ) but it could be the fact that they just aren't good enough this year. Hard for the Joeys faithful to believe but if they can't get over Kings then big big big hill to climb.

Kings by 14

View by 24. Not much else to say.

The most interesting game will be Scots vs New at BH. Let's face it, Scots has been disappointing. Lot's of individual talent ( or is there ? ) but not gelling as a team. Again big game for them as lose and it could be curtains for the season. BH should be packed but as per last year, expect a small but rowdy group of Wookies to venture east and cause some mayhem. New played very well last week, and after a tight win against a desperate Joeys team, Spread their Wyvern wings and flew past Shore. If Rodwell is back, it will be intersting to see what the backline looks like as their 15 is playing very well and theteam looks balanced. Scost will have to get their much hyped backline firing to have a chance. Expect a close one only becuase it's at BH, but

New by 7

Morning All,

Congratulations to the boys who made the "Team of The Week" for round 4

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 8.52.42 am.png

Special mentions to these boys who nearly made the team>

Scots, 12
New, 5, 10
Shore, 7, 15
Kings 12, 13
View 1, 10, 13

Well done to all the boys who made the round 4 Team of the Week.

The Import.

aagpsrugbyfan

Bob McCowan (2)
Morning All,

Congratulations to the boys who made the "Team of The Week" for round 4

View attachment 16342

Special mentions to these boys who nearly made the team>

Scots, 12
New, 5, 10
Shore, 7, 15
Kings 12, 13
View 1, 10, 13

Well done to all the boys who made the round 4 Team of the Week.

The Import.
Great to see Aidan Gow (zest) making TOTW. Special note to this kid who started off in the 3rds after joining this year!
Thought he played well in a struggling Scots side.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
MONDAY TIP DAY.

1685923196650.png

Get them in soon.

This Thursday will be interesting as Joeys and Scots are able to move students straight from classes to the game. (Scots boys just need to look out the window). For Schools like Kings, busing students to be at Joeys on time will cause a major disruption unless the school is willing to make it a half day. If not, then you will see 1000 Joeys boys (#16) in the stand dominating the noise (as they do anyway)

Shore and Riveview face the same problem. Do they travel on mass to Stirling Bridge? It may end up being like 2020 all over again.

If anyone knows what schools are planning to do then let us know here.

Tips close midnight Wednesday

1685923227047.png

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Very hard for a ref in that situation.
It is.

My wife is a fully qualified Tier 1/2 senior referee who works in the Sydney West Division and she has done many school games up to the seniors level in Kentwell Cup (some colts for West Harbour) . I spoke with her and we watched the play in question numerous times before I asked what she would do in that situation.

To begin there is much debate over the stoppage of the game. The issue seems to be what weight is placed on player welfare in rugby. In the post-school matches there is a considerably less amount of weight placed on player welfare and play is allowed to move on if there is no perceieved danger to the player at that time. In Under 19's player welfare is considerably higher. The decision to stop play is up to the ref's on field decision making.

So lets review my wife's thinking on this event.

Was there a clear head clash? YES
Were there player(s) on the ground dealing with the head clash? YES
Were these players able to protect themselves from ongoing play? small yes. Unsure as both were showing signs of moving and sitting.
Were they located near active play(s) and in danger of more physical harm? YES. Play moved towards them and play ran through them.
Should play have been halted (Under 19 consideration) to deal with the welfare of the two players? YES

Why is was not stopped comes down to the referee decision. My wife knows this referee and has high praise for him in his ability to control grade games in Shute and Kentwell cup matches. (Couple of clangers but this happens) She believes that when a Tier 1 referee comes to the Under 19 laws they often forget that player welfare is paramount in this age then in the adult world.

Hope this helps

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
MONDAY TIP DAY.

View attachment 16343

Get them in soon.

This Thursday will be interesting as Joeys and Scots are able to move students straight from classes to the game. (Scots boys just need to look out the window). For Schools like Kings, busing students to be at Joeys on time will cause a major disruption unless the school is willing to make it a half day. If not, then you will see 1000 Joeys boys (#16) in the stand dominating the noise (as they do anyway)

Shore and Riveview face the same problem. Do they travel on mass to Stirling Bridge? It may end up being like 2020 all over again.

View attachment 16344
View 12+
Kings 12+
New 12+

Oldboy

Frank Nicholson (4)
have to agree here. View defence has a been real force to be reckoned with. let alone exterior defence. Most points conceded have come from mauls
I think defence in the middle has been very good and perhaps joeys tried to go wide too early without earning the right up the middle first. I would still like to see teams attack View a bit wider-it would at least spread the defenders more but you have to possess the players and have them in the right positions to do it.
Overall, View are doing very well playing to their strengths and trying to avoid areas of weakness. Against both kings and joeys they tried to avoid scrums. Teams playing view must take full advantage of scrum penalties and fast play while defenders are in the scrum. Views execution with the ball was better than joeys but there isn’t a lot missing from joeys-they certainly can start winning games.

MONDAY TIP DAY.

View attachment 16343

Get them in soon.

View attachment 16344

Morning @Joker,

Riverview +24
Kings +21
Newington +14

Norman burns

Bob McCowan (2)
Coming over from the CAS forum due to the annual CAS vs GPS teams coming out in the next few weeks.
In my opinion CAS +14 due to their suspected strong forward pack
Any opinions or takes to my post ?

Norman Burns.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Well there you have it..... I have been awarded a trophy for my 3000th post named after the great Jim Lenehan (Riverview 1956)

He was a schoolboy hurdler of some note at the GPS athletics level. In the 1956 GPS athletics competition, he won the open shot put with 57 feet, 21 inches, and the open 120 yards hurdles in 14.5 seconds. Riverview legend has it that the shot put hit the picket fence some way up and so the record could only be measured to the fence. His shot put record stood until 1999 and his hurdles unbeaten until 2009.

1685929624202.png

throughthehands

Bob McCowan (2)
MONDAY TIP DAY.

View attachment 16343

Get them in soon.

View attachment 16344
View + 14
Kings + 12
Scots + 5

Status
Not open for further replies.