• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Love the bias here Joker, got to admit the the Hunters Hill main building looks like an Asylum; which is what people call it.

View attachment 18815
The asylum

That goes back to the Spanish Flu

When this ravaged Sydney in the 1920's Joeys went into lock down. Students were not permitted to leave for many weeks. The gates were locked and guarded. The only building on the site was the main building that included inside a chapel, dorms, classrooms and dining rooms all in one place (cohort was much smaller then)

Because of Joeys obeying the rules, the College was called "the asylum for the sick/damned" or simply "the asylum"
This name has floated along the sands of time and occasionally pops up. I heard it first in the 1970's from a View boy.

Colourized photo from that time

1715306476581.jpeg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Better an asylum than an incomplete faux Scottish castle. Riverview have the same building but ran out of money before they could put a tower on it. Newington looks like a poor man’s Harry Potter fantasy and Shore spent all their money on a stadium that faces the wrong way and preserved an ancient score board that hasn’t known victory in 20 years. Does Kings have a main building? Perhaps over in the very back paddock, IDK, it’s certainly not memorable. I’ll take the asylum.
1691044190107.png

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
BTW

Time is running out to join the 2024 AAGPS
Here is who I have so far. If I missed your name please let me know again.
I will publish the rules this weekend

1715315336586.png

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV - Trial 2
Plenty of great match ups this weekend for the second trial week and great disappointment that the AAGPS will not be broadcasting any 3rd XV games on Streamer this year. It will make it a bit difficult for INP to remain on top of the form but I will do my best continue to report as usual.

Joeys 3rd XV v St Augustine's 2nd XV
This one promises to be a great contest at Hunters Hill and a great curtain-raiser for Joeys 2nd XV v Oakhill 1st XV. Joeys 3rds are coming off the back of a loss to Stannies 1sts in Bathurst and will be much better for the run.

St Stanislaus 3rd XV v Scots 3rd XV
Scots appear to be playing Stannies in all open grades this week so it will be interesting to see how they go. Scots 3rds will want to start the season well as they embark on their defence of the 3rd XV premiership from 2023.

St Aloysius 1st XV v Riverview 3rd XV
A tough assignment for Riverview this week at North Willoughby. I do recall that the only game the Joeys championship 3rd XV lost in 2019 was in a trial against Aloysius 1st XV. These games are good preparation for the 3rd XV competition season.

Newington 3rd XV v Kings 3rd XV (I think it's 3rds v 3rds)
While Newington don't play in the 3rd XV competition they will relish the opportunity to play Kings in this trial. Should be a great match and let's hope that Johnson can withstand the heavy rain that is predicted.

Shore 3rd XV v Knox 3rd XV
The 1:00pm fixture at Northbridge and worth it just to get one of those pies that Joker always raves about. Shore appear to have excellent depth this year and this trial will confirm the predictions of a positive season for them.

Shore 4th XV v High 1st XV
I noticed this one on the Shore fixtures even though it is not on the AAGPS web site. A good test for High 1st XV early on and will be interested to see if they can notch a win here.

The AAGPS web site says that Grammar are playing Greg's this Saturday but Grammar fixtures say they are training. Stay tuned.

Too early in the season to make predictions in any of these but hope you enjoy the contests. I will be at Hunters Hill in the rain as usual.

INP

GPSFootyguy3

Frank Row (1)
new up and coming talent spotted at the st aloys vs Sydney grammar game on the weekend. Number 6 for grammar proving a threat and is undeniably a dominant boy. Eyes up for GPS selectors - hopefully he isn't overlooked in the 3s comp
Hi Allthingsfooty,

Yes spotted this as well. I have connections at Aloys and heard he absolutely dominated what was thought to be a fairly strong forward pack. He looks to be of Mediterranean heritage and obviously has that Greek Flare. Did anyone else catch the game?

GPSFootyGuy 3
new up and coming talent spotted at the st aloys vs Sydney grammar game on the weekend. Number 6 for grammar proving a threat and is undeniably a dominant boy. Eyes up for GPS selectors - hopefully he isn't overlooked in the 3s comp

UpnUnder

Chris McKivat (8)
Hi Allthingsfooty,

Yes spotted this as well. I have connections at Aloys and heard he absolutely dominated what was thought to be a fairly strong forward pack. He looks to be of Mediterranean heritage and obviously has that Greek Flare. Did anyone else catch the game?

GPSFootyGuy 3
Shame he is not playing against 1XV quality competition, pretty hard to judge anything from a game against at 1st XV that probably wouldn’t win a game in GPS 3rd grade.

Agent

Alfred Walker (16)
Can anyone shed any light on a current line-up for the Shore 2nd XV? The 1's are coming together nicely and was wonder who is waiting in the wings.

The Chairman

Bob Loudon (25)
A guide to assist you to understand the names I use. Developed over many seasons. It is banter and done in jest.

Home groundPlayer nicknames
Newington CollegeThe brick pit, Stanmore InternationalWild Wookies
St Joseph’s CollegeHeaven’s pastureCattle Dogs
The Scots CollegeDeath star, Palpatine’s PalaceStorm troopers, Clone warriors
St Ignatius' CollegeSwamp, The Looney bin, Iggies playgroundLane Cove Loonies, Wild Wolves
The King's SchoolBig Paddock, Parramatta pasture, Castle Greyskull*Bullocks
Shore SchoolStirling Bridge, Pie PalaceThe Northmen

* Discontinued due to complaints of others
I will always refer to the Scots home ground as SIRC. Speaking of right now I bet it is 5 feet underwater.

The Chairman

Bob Loudon (25)
Can anyone shed any light on a current line-up for the Shore 2nd XV? The 1's are coming together nicely and was wonder who is waiting in the wings.
A very year 11-based squad, I think they will finish mid-table. They are heavily forward centred, with the likes of Garner, Frape and Armati (all year 11s) seeming to have a crack at the First Squad. Coached by Mr Ed Craig, who himself played Hooker for Eastwood and the Waratahs, they appear to have the weaponry to make some good plays. The question is regarding the cohesion in the backs. The dominance in the forwards is there, though the question of the backs being able to put points on the board remains.