• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

WeloveFooty.com

Frank Row (1)
Might just be my opinion but does no one else think Riverview are doing so well purely due to the home ground advantage. I think they are playing great footy but honestly I don’t think that they won’t be able to pull it off against the better teams especially at away games. I don’t know but the trail matches are still in the back of my mind. Hope they prove me wrong but it has to play a major factor in their early season success.

Interested to hear others thoughts.
I completely agree, especially against Newington who have no culture, can barely get people to come to home games, let alone at away games. People are underestimating how big of an advantage the home ground advantage holds. Riverview come the end of the season will be down the bottom of the ladder.

Aagpsglory

Herbert Moran (7)
Riverview 3rd XV 26 d Newington 3rd XV 7
It was almost exactly the same winning score for Riverview over Newington as the previous week by Joeys over Newington at Stanmore. Riverview are clearly ready to fire and Newington have put down a couple of solid performances that would indicate they are at the right level for this competition.
I was lucky enough to watch this game on the weekend. A few standout performers from View were: #10 and #4. Number 4 scored a great try breaking through a tackle on the Newington's 22 to score. He's one to look out for in the 3s comp for sure (as long as he doesn't get poached by the twos)

Cheers

AG

saladsdon'twinscrums

Bob McCowan (2)
I completely agree, especially against Newington who have no culture, can barely get people to come to home games, let alone at away games. People are underestimating how big of an advantage the home ground advantage holds. Riverview come the end of the season will be down the bottom of the ladder.
I agree with parts of this. Although View is great at home with all their supporters, View have great away turnouts and always have. So although it is definitely a factor I think View will be fine away and will do very well.

SDWS

Rookie21

Larry Dwyer (12)
Power Rankings Round 2.png

Another brilliant round of GPS Rugby goes by. Here are my power rankings after round 2. Please feel free to disagree as this is just my opinion.

Joeys: I think it's safe to assume that, once again, Joeys are the team to beat this season (how many times has that been said before?). Joeys will be more than pleased with their dominant performance against Scots. One may argue that the score could've looked a lot better for Joeys had they taken more of the chances that were offered. There is certainly a lot to like about this team. They remain as sole contenders for GPS glory.

Riverview: The surprise packets of the competition. Riverview never really looked like losing against Newington, despite still having to work for the win. View certainly look classy, though I will say their left-edge attack seems to fall flat a lot of the time. Consistently looked good against Newington and is certainly a force to be reckoned with. I look forward to when they play Joeys. They remain in "thereabouts".

Shore: A great win against Kings at Northbridge has certainly boosted the confidence of Shore after last week's heartbreak at Riverview. There is so much individual talent in this team but, more importantly, they look like a team. They played to their strengths and didn't panic when they were put under pressure. Shore could beat anyone on their day. Shore struggled to contain Kings when play became more unstructured but were able to keep the game structured to their taste for the most part. Shore could beat anyone on their day. They move up to "thereabouts".

Kings: While performing better than most predicted, Kings do have weaknesses in certain areas that other teams will easily exploit. They thrive in broken play and will do their best to disrupt the patterns of the opposition in order to play to their strengths. They have some great individuals and if they can gel as a team just a little bit more then they could be quite good. They remain as outsiders.

Scots: Well where do Scots go from here? They were preseason favourites and were totally outclassed by Joeys yesterday. They have some brilliant individuals, but they seem to be playing like a team of individuals. They don't entirely look like a team. When teamwork was required, players would try and do too much themselves. Passes wouldn't stick, players overrunning the ball, etc. In my opinion, they may have been lucky the score didn't reflect more poorly on them. We know how much potential this Scots outfit possesses and I hope they are able find their feet as a team. They move down to "slim chance".

Newington: While Newington defended their line brilliantly for a lot of the game, they never really looked like they were causing Riverview too many issues. They didn't look entirely threatening. Unless their attack improves drastically, I don't really see them being an enormous threat. I will also say that I wish Newington had better culture around supporting their teams. I find that the atmosphere is severely lacking at every Newington game that I watch. They remain as "slim chance".

Bring on next week!

Kings vs Joeys @ Castle Greyskull

Scots vs Riverview @ The Death Star

Shore vs Newington @ Stirling Bridge

Where's the beef

Allen Oxlade (6)
View attachment 19013

Another brilliant round of GPS Rugby goes by. Here are my power rankings after round 2. Please feel free to disagree as this is just my opinion.

Joeys: I think it's safe to assume that, once again, Joeys are the team to beat this season (how many times has that been said before?). Joeys will be more than pleased with their dominant performance against Scots. One may argue that the score could've looked a lot better for Joeys had they taken more of the chances that were offered. There is certainly a lot to like about this team. They remain as sole contenders for GPS glory.

Riverview: The surprise packets of the competition. Riverview never really looked like losing against Newington, despite still having to work for the win. View certainly look classy, though I will say their left-edge attack seems to fall flat a lot of the time. Consistently looked good against Newington and is certainly a force to be reckoned with. I look forward to when they play Joeys. They remain in "thereabouts".

Shore: A great win against Kings at Northbridge has certainly boosted the confidence of Shore after last week's heartbreak at Riverview. There is so much individual talent in this team but, more importantly, they look like a team. They played to their strengths and didn't panic when they were put under pressure. Shore could beat anyone on their day. Shore struggled to contain Kings when play became more unstructured but were able to keep the game structured to their taste for the most part. Shore could beat anyone on their day. They move up to "thereabouts".

Kings: While performing better than most predicted, Kings do have weaknesses in certain areas that other teams will easily exploit. They thrive in broken play and will do their best to disrupt the patterns of the opposition in order to play to their strengths. They have some great individuals and if they can gel as a team just a little bit more then they could be quite good. They remain as outsiders.

Scots: Well where do Scots go from here? They were preseason favourites and were totally outclassed by Joeys yesterday. They have some brilliant individuals, but they seem to be playing like a team of individuals. They don't entirely look like a team. When teamwork was required, players would try and do too much themselves. Passes wouldn't stick, players overrunning the ball, etc. In my opinion, they may have been lucky the score didn't reflect more poorly on them. We know how much potential this Scots outfit possesses and I hope they are able find their feet as a team. They move down to "slim chance".

Newington: While Newington defended their line brilliantly for a lot of the game, they never really looked like they were causing Riverview too many issues. They didn't look entirely threatening. Unless their attack improves drastically, I don't really see them being an enormous threat. I will also say that I wish Newington had better culture around supporting their teams. I find that the atmosphere is severely lacking at every Newington game that I watch. They remain as "slim chance".

Bring on next week!

We will get a clearer picture of joeys after view. Any side that wants to play running attacking rugby at them will do so at their peril. If view play their 10 man game and say to joeys come back from your own 22 I have a feeling their patience will be tested. Not sure how shore are playing it, but view will try to bottle them up and trust their Defence. I will say that yesterday was some of the best running rugby I have seen in the last 4 years. joeys have threats in many places.

TheSetPiece89

Frank Row (1)
Might just be my opinion but does no one else think Riverview are doing so well purely due to the home ground advantage. I think they are playing great footy but honestly I don’t think that they won’t be able to pull it off against the better teams especially at away games. I don’t know but the trail matches are still in the back of my mind. Hope they prove me wrong but it has to play a major factor in their early season success.

Hi TM, still haven’t got over the round 1 defeat I see?
Only joking!
On a more serious note, I have found the Riverview boys fitness and grit to be the difference between them and their opponents in the opening two rounds. Which I can’t see changing when they play at a different ground. So I struggle to imagine them playing any worse footy at other schools.
TSP…

Rugbynbeers

Darby Loudon (17)
Interesting to see the round 3 matchups.

a must win for Scot’s and Newo who need to find form and find it quick. The most impressive part about new against view was there defence which is a quite strange thing to say looking at there backline. Scots well there isn’t much to say, they need to move on from the loss and work out what’s going wrong quick.

view and shore will be looking to keep there press for the title going with respective wins, a title which hasn’t been outside kings and joeys since 2017.

joeys who seem to be in a league of there own will be up against the team of 16 year olds in kings. This seems to be my match of the round and the crowds will be packed. Can kings shock us all once again and pickup from there loss Agaisnt shore ? Or will the boys from hunters hill put the sword to kings showing they are the true premiership heavyweights.

shaquille_oatmeal

Bob McCowan (2)

It's true there's an advantage to the home ground games and they seem to have used that time wisely and have used the time to learn how to play better as a team, it'll be interesting to see but I think them playing the games at home didn't cover up their early season issues, rather it just gave more time to consolidate and prepare for the season as a team.

PROPaganda

Allen Oxlade (6)
Shore 4ths 17-10 Kings 4ths
I seem to hear a lot about Shore 4th XV but not much about any of the other schools 4ths teams. Sounds like Shore have one of the stronger teams and that shows the huge improvement in depth for the school just over the last few years. The future is bright.

Balmain Subbies

Watty Friend (18)
View attachment 19013

Bring on next week!

No no, death star days are over.....you guys all need to come up with something better. Joeys is the death star and has been for years. The 5 years of Scots dominance is much more aligned with the rebel alliance. hashtag know your starwars

UpnUnder

Larry Dwyer (12)
The negative behaviour of Scots supporters on the far touchline yesterday was as bad as I ever witnessed at HH. The disrespect shown to the kicker attempting to win the 2’s was a low in sportsmanship, even for Scots. The verbal abuse of players coming from the school body during the 1’s and 2’s was appalling. Does Scots not send teachers to away games or is that kind of behaviour acceptable?

runningrugbyrules

Ward Prentice (10)
The negative behaviour of Scots supporters on the far touchline yesterday was as bad as I ever witnessed at HH. The disrespect shown to the kicker attempting to win the 2’s was a low in sportsmanship, even for Scots. The verbal abuse of players coming from the school body during the 1’s and 2’s was appalling. Does Scots not send teachers to away games or is that kind of behaviour acceptable?
Not surprising from Scots supporters at all

Rugbynbeers

Darby Loudon (17)

same last week with the kings kicker in the 1st to win the game.

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
No no, death star days are over.....you guys all need to come up with something better. Joeys is the death star and has been for years. The 5 years of Scots dominance is much more aligned with the rebel alliance. hashtag know your starwars
Oh Subbies. You’re on

runningrugbyrules

Ward Prentice (10)
We will get a clearer picture of joeys after view. Any side that wants to play running attacking rugby at them will do so at their peril. If view play their 10 man game and say to joeys come back from your own 22 I have a feeling their patience will be tested. Not sure how shore are playing it, but view will try to bottle them up and trust their Defence. I will say that yesterday was some of the best running rugby I have seen in the last 4 years. joeys have threats in many places.
Joeys once again a run first team, passing the ball laterally 2/3 passes away from the ruck straight from the first phases making Scots forwards run a lot with multiple phases. I’m not a fan of going wide before earning the right to, myself, particularly when you have 8 and 12 who are two of the strongest hit up runners in the comp. However Thommo’s tactics certainly tired the Scots forwards who were gone by half time. Joeys forwards looked very fit (again) and
Joeys games against Auggies & Newington showed that rain will be the catalyst for Joeys season. Joeys were vulnerable against Auggies, as the rain meant Joeys found the long lateral passes tactics difficult with the slippery ball. Joeys struggled. Auggies used their short kicking game overt the defence to great effect, just as the All Blacks play in the wet.
Against Newington in the first half it was dry and Joeys could move the ball wide and looked dangerous leading 19-5 with Newington defending most of the half . But in the second half the rain came Joeys couldn’t move the ball wide and actually lost the second half 7-5.

Joeys are clear favourites but will be vulnerable to rain and/or muddy grounds. Particularly the away games at Riverview, Scots and New that turn into muddy swamps after an inch of rain. Joeys will be very hard to beat on a dry track.