• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

046ballrunner

Peter Burge (5)
If you blokes wanna critque me maybe you can do a 2024 gps side prediction yourself I would be interested, especially in the forwards as many of the backs pick themselves

Stagnation

Allen Oxlade (6)
If you blokes wanna critque me maybe you can do a 2024 gps side prediction yourself I would be interested, especially in the forwards as many of the backs pick themselves
I'll have a go at the forward pack

1. ?
2. Baxter Warner/Angus Phillips (Shore,View)
3. Joel Jacobs (Scots)
4. Phoenix Graham (View)
5. Toby Brial (Scots)
6. Charlie Ulcoq (Scots)
7. Marshall Le Maitre (Shore)
8. Justice Teamopeau (Joeys)

ScrumAndCoke!

Frank Nicholson (4)

1. ?
3. Joel Jacobs (Scots)
4. Phoenix Graham (View)
5. Toby Brial (Scots)
6. Charlie Ulcoq (Scots)
Anyone have an idea at who will play 1?
-Scrum

Stagnation

Allen Oxlade (6)
Isn’t Luca Cleverley going to be back next year?

If so, he’s the pick for 6 after being picked this year and performed well.

I think we’ll see Brial at 8. Likely to be up there as the best forward in the country. He could play in the 2nd Row to allow someone else in the team but you want the ball in his hands as much as possible.
completely forgot about him. He will definitely slot straight in given he played GPS 1s this year as well

Footy head

Chris McKivat (8)

1. ?
3. Joel Jacobs (Scots)
4. Phoenix Graham (View)
5. Toby Brial (Scots)
6. Charlie Ulcoq (Scots)
Gps seems to be short on a few props. Is Langi in year 12 this year?

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
If New coaches were smart ( and there has been various debates about this due to them having the talent but not getting the results ), they would put Rodwell at 10. I think someone close to New said that he will most likely play 15. Again, the best ball playing back with a good kick and pass must be at 10.
Q: If Rodwell plays 15 for New, will the GPS selectors consider him at 10 or will he be up against Jacques and other 15's. If he does get picked at 10, it shows the difference between coaching/selection styles/priorities.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Probably not between those 2 positions when he didn’t play a full season of 10 this year. Would be different if he was an established 10 and filling 15 for Newington out of need.

A lot will also depend on other 10s around the comp. Sometimes being the 15 in GPS 2nds is better than playing 10 in 1sts if it’s not your best position.

shaquille_oatmeal

Frank Row (1)
CAS vs GPS next year will be a great game. More even competition next year.
Hopefully so, the games in the younger teams in 2023 seemed to be heavily one-sided towards the AAGPS teams. Would love to see some more cross-conferencial competition. But these things ebb and flow so we'll have to wait and see.

Footy head

Chris McKivat (8)
If New coaches were smart ( and there has been various debates about this due to them having the talent but not getting the results ), they would put Rodwell at 10. I think someone close to New said that he will most likely play 15. Again, the best ball playing back with a good kick and pass must be at 10.
Q: If Rodwell plays 15 for New, will the GPS selectors consider him at 10 or will he be up against Jacques and other 15's. If he does get picked at 10, it shows the difference between coaching/selection styles/prioritie
15 and 10 are nearly the same position today to a certain extent. Most 10's can play 15 and most 15 can play 10. Rodwell also may play inside next year with Grantham coming up from the 16's. Could also mean possibly rodwell to 10 and Humphries to 12 possibly.

shaquille_oatmeal

Frank Row (1)
15 and 10 are nearly the same position today to a certain extent. Most 10's can play 15 and most 15 can play 10. Rodwell also may play inside next year with Grantham coming up from the 16's. Could also mean possibly rodwell to 10 and Humphries to 12 possibly.
The good thing is there's a lot of versatility for choice here, but I find that a different application of rugby IQ is needed to be a good 10 or 15 when compared with the other. A lot of 15s increasingly known for their ability to manage and account for the spatial aspects of a field, possible weakpoints etc. Great numbers 10s rather possess that fast and decisive decision making that allows teams to quickly and confidently apply their moves and exploit other weaknesses, whilst yes also having that necessary spatial awareness, but not to that extent.

Ultimately it's down to the coaches, but seeing some great performances from both positions it's important to consider the above in their selection.